Azonic Z-5 Body Armor Armor and Pads

3.71/5 (21 Reviews)

Our AZONIC Z-5 body armor is the finest on the planet. Constructed from high impact injection molded plastic featuring full spine forming flexible plastic protection and light weight netting for the ultimate in a comfortable secure fit. Additional features include full zipper front closure system, adjustable elastic kidney belt with genuine Velcro® closure and fully adjustable Spandex® straps throughout the arm and shoulders.

Available in black in sizes S/M, L/XL, XXL

Submitted by David a Downhiller from Layton, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2005

Strengths:    Good protection.

Weaknesses:    Tears easily.

Bottom Line:
I have taken a few good crashes, and the armor did not get damaged (neither did I).
I did snag a tree branch and the armor received a 9" tear without even pulling me off the bike. I was surprised at how easily the mesh tore.
It was an easy fix, and the armor still works great.

I would downgrade my previous rating slightly...

Purchased At:   Go-Ride

Similar Products Used:   See previous post

Bike Setup:   '04 BigHit, Jr. T

Submitted by David a Downhiller from Layton, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2004

Strengths:    Great fit; the plastic stays put, well-ventilated (for armor).
Does not inhibit movement.

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any yet. We'll see after my first big digger...

Bottom Line:
If you are into all-mountain/freeride or downhill, this is a great product. I was willing to spend more for 661 armor, but the Azonic Z-5 was highly recommended.

I am 5'8" and 170 lbs; the S/M fits perfect.

Check out www.go-ride.com.

Favorite Trail:   Anything technical and downhill

Purchased At:   Go-Ride

Similar Products Used:   661 chest protector and 661 2x4 elbow pads.

Bike Setup:   2004 BigHit Comp (stock). Manitou 3-way coil rear @ 7.5" travel, Marzocchi DJ2 fork.

Submitted by drew a Downhiller from charleston, wv

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2004

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    -Mesh is weak and uncomfortable
-Zipper is better suited to an evening gown
-Velcro straps are held on with disolving stitches
-Elastic straps fray and are really uncomfortable

Bottom Line:
This thing is crap

I can't believe it's gotten this high of a rating. I will say that when new, this thing provided a decent measure of protection. It has probably saved my ass in a couple of falls, but I wouldn't know it because I was too pissed about injuries I did sustain from its failure. Since the velcro straps all broke just putting it on and taking it off, the armor parts move around freely. I now have all the guards held in place with zip ties...they have been far more reliable.

To add to this weakness, the zipper crapped out on me after about 6 months of use, so that put added stress on what was left of the velcro. I've got the zipper attached w/ zip ties at the bottom because it took me 30 minutes to get the zipper to start from where it's ripped away from the mesh. I now have to pull it over my head and then zip it up...I'm just waiting for the zipper to totally give up on me.

When it gets wet (unless you're riding in the dead of winter, it will get wet) it turns to mush and things just rip. There are holes in the mesh all over, and it has stretched to no end. The elastic arm straps dig into your arms, but that doesn't matter because they've frayed so much that they will probably dissinigrate soon.

I expect gear to fail eventually, but this thing started giving up from the get-go. I do not recommend this thing at all. The jackets from other companies have more padding, are better built and are much more comfortable.

Favorite Trail:   Trail of Death

Similar Products Used:   Can't wait to add the 661 or rockgardn stuff to this list

Submitted by Mike from Jersey

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2004

Strengths:    Good protection on light to moderate falls.

Weaknesses:    Stitching rips, Velcro rips off, even without crashing.

Big bucks for bits of nylon and plastic.

Not made for people with large upper bodies.

Bottom Line:
Good suit for winter riding (frozen ground hurts).

Took one good fall with suit on - only my face took a beating (didn't have full face helmet).

Once the straps are set up, it goes on quickly.

For you beefier riders - take note: I have a 48" chest and a 36" waist, I bought an XXL, and it is TIGHT. REAL TIGHT. If you do some XC, you will want to take this off after a short while.

Two of the velcro straps (behind shoulders) popped off within 2 weeks of purchase. Didn't seem to affect function much. Kidney belt is made for someone with a MAX 32 inch waist (and that's a stretch).

When I have this off, I crash. When it is on, I don't crash. Must be a confidence thing. Makes me wish it fit a bit better so I'd wear more often (it would be too hot, anyway).

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Hardtail with 5 inches of travel up front.

Submitted by DHLover a Downhiller from British Columbia

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2003

Strengths:    It is very breathable and quite light. As well I thought the spine protection was fairly good.

Weaknesses:    After a few crashes and a couple tumbles I was convinced that this armor offered only the minimal amount of padding for your chest and when you hit big the armor slips even if its only a bit. It sucks to stop on a trail and adjust your padding and sometimes you can't... then what! Ouch, thats what. The spine prtotection could have fit a little more snug and it has a tendancy to ride up on the neck especially if you have a pack. And when hitting steep descents it limits how far forward you can look. As well I Gratted my ribs pretty bad, but the mesh held up good, with only a small tear in the fabric. I have to say it was not worth the $100 CDN I payed for it.Maybe its good for North shore Free Ride but it is sh*t for the serious Downhiller.

Bottom Line:
Good for the mildest of mild North Shore freeride but for downhill and serious freeride I'd say buy the RockGardN FlakJacket, and throw in another $38 to get the Cover Your Ass protective shorts.

Favorite Trail:   My back yard

Bike Setup:   KHS DominaTrax built up to my specs

Submitted by Sam a Cross Country Rider from Winter Park

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2003

Strengths:    It has padding. good spinal coverage. better than nothing.

Weaknesses:    The padding is very thin. My normal elbow pads soften a fall better. The shoulder pads are gay. They stick out to much and make you look stupid. The velcro rips off fast. Two falls on skis and all of the velcro straps broke. My suggestion to you is do not buy it. In the the pictures on websites you can see that the velcro straps are narrower than other brands. My advice to you is to not buy or send it back if you already have.

Bottom Line:
Buy something else. You will be glad you did. It is expensive for crap. If you buy this armor and actually plan on using it, make sure you'll still have enough money to buy some better armor when you are ready to throw it away. Be wary of the good reviews, someone just might be advertising and trying to sell this crap. It's a plastic, thin foam, fishnet, collection of garbage strapped together with velcro. For 175+.

Favorite Trail:   Mountain Goat

Purchased At:   airbomb.com

Submitted by Bugzee Malone from Kiwi in Kobe, Japan

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2003

Strengths:    Good over all protection
Not too hot

Weaknesses:    Stitching could be better.
More collarbone protection would be an improvement.

Bottom Line:
One nasty crash showed me how valuable armor is.
The only problem I have had so far is the stitching holding the shoulder pad to the mesh has come undone.
Other reviewers said the mesh is weak but I have worn it under and over clothing and by itself on really hot days and no rips so far.
I don't have a problem with it riding up and in general its fairly comfortable.

I would have given it 5 chilis but the stitching let it down

Favorite Trail:   Futatabesan

Purchased At:   $100 on eBay

Bike Setup:   Giant AC3 ...various mods

Submitted by Drew a Downhiller from Thousand Oaks, CA

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2003

Strengths:    Excellent cooling and airflow, okay protection.

Weaknesses:    Protection is weak compared to 661 Pressure Suit or Rockgardn Flak Jacket, but the cooling is SO much better.

Bottom Line:
Great for the summer, when it's too hot to wear the 661. Looks like the mesh material would rip very easily, elastic bands don't secure the armor as well as 661's velcro straps. Chest protection is pretty minimal, just a sheet of thin perforated foam. Can't believe the retail price is $200! Worth it if you ride where it's hot and you can get one around a hundred bucks, don't pay much more than that.

Purchased At:   Wheel World

Similar Products Used:   661 Pressure Suit

Bike Setup:   Foes Fly w/F1-XL

Submitted by Mark W a Weekend Warrior from Zebulon NC

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2003

Weaknesses:    velcro tab riped out

Bottom Line:
unfasten all velcro first befor you strap your self on this thing caus Im a big dude as soon as I got in this thing i tore out two tabs at the chest and back have not used it yet as soon as I do Ill be sure to post here first it dose seem tough

Favorite Trail:   Downtown

Purchased At:   birthday from mom

Bike Setup:   Big Hit

Submitted by Andre Sanches a Downhiller from San Diego (originally from Rio, Brazil)

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2002

Strengths:    Cost/benefit ratio. Pads stay in place, during the ride and ruding the crashes (I guess that's what they are meant for). Awesome spine protection.

Weaknesses:    Chest pad could be little more thick.

Bottom Line:
This armor goes for about $150 I guess, and it is definetelly worth that much. The pads saty in place, and you don't feel like carying an extra person wheny ou have it on. My movements were never limited due the fact I had this armor on. It is very well ventilated and the spine protection covers what it is supposed to. Very adjustable as well.

Favorite Trail:   Anderson Truck Trail

Purchased At:   through sponsor

Similar Products Used:   Some other dainese, fox pads (generic motorcross type) and bomb shell.

Bike Setup:   KHS fetishe pimped out.

Submitted by Bryan Lord a Downhiller from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2002

Strengths:    pad placement.

Weaknesses:    the mesh net used as the main componet is weak. will tear at the seams very easy. the back spin protector jams into my neck. built for ppl taller than 6'. zipper if intrusive if no under shirt is worn. needs a bit of padding to stop chafing

Bottom Line:
for the price. Not worth it. the materials and workmanship is sub-standard. more thought should be put into the armor sizes/body sizes. I am a "Average" male. 5'10" 170 lbs. large does not fit very well and the med is almost too small. the spine protector could fit better. all and all its not worty of the Azonic name.

Purchased At:   Nouvelle Cycle

Similar Products Used:   UFO. same thing, differnt lable

Bike Setup:   Marin Team DH, Foes Wet One, Azonic thoughtout.

Submitted by Hunter Petersen a Downhiller from Danville, CA

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2002

Strengths:    Everything. Tons of padding everywhere. Seriously. I'd type more but I just about a 1 full page bottom line so I'm speeding through this. Buy this armor.

Weaknesses:    That peopel like Snake are allowed to wear body armor this good. You're gay. If you comment negativealy on the look of pads, you're definitely gay.

Bottom Line:
It is better than the fox and the 661. The fox DOES NOT have more collarbone coverage. Go look at the frickin picture. It has tons of chest coverage. The back strip is about 5 inches wide. The kidney belt is nice and there is full arm coverage. It's made of full tough mesh. This kicks ass on all other suits except for the Dainese.
COMPLAINER #1!!!! It's obvious that you didn't read Airbombs store polcies and ordered the wrong size. If you had done so, you would have seen this- "Returns on clothing are not permitted - please be sure of your size before ordering any clothing items." And this "Items specially ordered for you, which includes all clothing, cannot be returned. Thats fair, right?" You're an idiot, you should have called around to see what stores would match the price.

Complainer # 2- Who cares if the back plate does not come off- me and a bunch of people aren't willing to pay 100 bucks extra to be .5 degrees cooler when we have a camelback on.

Buy this ARMOOORRRRRR DAMNNIT!!!!!!!!!!! It's the best. It works great!!!!
If you want to buy it- Call Patric at Culver City Whhel World and tell him you saw it on airbomb.com for 150 (check that first, it might change. #(310) 391-5251 They match it and ship it quickly.

PS- 2 things- the armor is completely black- if you tighten the starps the first time, they don't tear.

Favorite Trail:   Karpiel to Dogbone to bailout

Purchased At:   Wheel World

Bike Setup:   Giant AC Air

Submitted by Snake a Downhiller from Winter Park, CO

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2002

Strengths:    Good back, elbow coverage.

Weaknesses:    Shoulder pads are gay, they need to protect higher. They sit on the sides and move down with a big fall. Chest protection is minimal. Durability of velcro and some stitching not great. Fall on your shoulder, your screwed. With the shoulders sticking out the way they do, it looks gay too.

Bottom Line:
Their has to be something better. Try other armor on.

Purchased At:   airbomb.com

Bike Setup:   plush

Submitted by peter a Weekend Warrior from Seoul, South Korea

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2002

Strengths:    Comfortable when riding/ not restrictive/ good overall protection

Weaknesses:    The stitching has come undone in a few places (for a $230 bit of gear that is pretty disappointing/ it's hot/ shoulder pads are too bulky and don't sit where they should.

Bottom Line:
This suit is OK. I bought it because I busted my collar bone after one month of biking. I don't know if the suit would have saved my collar bone had I been wearing it then because the shoulder pads seem to sit kind of low. The things I don't like about it are: the shoulder pad's are too bulky and sit more on the sides of your shoulder instead of on top where your collar bone needs protecting. I always ride with a backpack so I don't need the back protector but unlike the Dainesse suit the back piece can not be removed. The quality leaves a bit to be desired, for that amount of money you would think they could have decent stitching. The things I like about it are: once you're riding (going downhill) you don't know it's there. The bottom bottom line, I want to sell mine and buy the Dainesse just because this suit will cook me this summer, having a plastic chest plate and not being able to remove the back piece and also wearing a back pack is like riding around with a strap on oven.
If your just going downhill and don't wear a backpack, a good buy except for the low riding shoulder pads and so-so quality.
If you riding up and down hills with a backpack, take another look at the Dainesse. (that's what I'm going to do)

Favorite Trail:   Acha/Namhan

Purchased At:   X-Bike

Bike Setup:   Giant AC2 stock except Fox Vanilla RC and Shimano DX peddals

Submitted by Matt Karasch a Downhiller from Weston, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2002

Strengths:    it is so flexible and really protects if you fall. trust me!

Weaknesses:    it is a little expensive but other than that it is awsome

Bottom Line:
Buy it! You can use it for life practcally. i use mine all of the time and nothing has gone wrong and hey, i am still in one piece. no broken bones with it yet. its awsome. you have got to try it.

Favorite Trail:   North Shore