AXO knee shin guards Armor and Pads

axo knee shin guards

Submitted by Travis Troupe a Downhiller from Chatsworth, CA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight, cheap

Weaknesses:    Thin plastic, only two straps to hold it in place. Knee protection does not protect, slides around easily.

Bottom Line:
I got these pads because they were cheap. But you really do get what you pay for. They do not stay put for very long. They move out of the way during a crash. After a small spill yesterday, my knee is bruised, scratched and swolen, and I was wearing the pads. That's not why I paid for them. I would not recomend these.

Purchased At:   wheel World

Similar Products Used:   None yet.

Bike Setup:   05 Coiler

Submitted by Matt Hubka a Downhiller from Acme, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2007

Strengths:    Googled myself for the first time and this was one of the sites that came up..Funny 'cause Im still wearing the pads 7 frick'n years later. Mostly cause Im a poor ass MTB'r but mainly because I dont replace things that don't need It(usually).

Weaknesses:    They do slide around untill they stick with sweat(yuck I know, but its true) and they do move AWAY at the first impact of a fall, this sucks when there are still plenty of crashing going on, but the first one is usually the bad one.

Bottom Line:
I always felt I should have Hard pads and I still feel that way. These are light and fit me well, Im sure there's better and I THINK the fox 911 x-up, or whatever there called, would be the one's I would buy, but there still a 100 cdn and mine still work, so It hasn't happened yet and probably won't (until these break, which I don't see happening any time soon).

Favorite Trail:   red line @ C.O.P Calgary

Purchased At:   Alberta cycle?

Bike Setup:   upgraded from the K2 razorback in'02 to a '01 RMB RM7, Damn near original minus the 24" rear wheel and a new to me 01' monster (bought last year..'06) old school I know but "if it aint broke don't fix it..eh"

Submitted by Samo a Weekend Warrior from Australia, Brisbane

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2001

Strengths:    They have good protection and comes at a cheap price

Weaknesses:    They slip down a bit
Velcro is itchy
You get all sweaty under them

Bottom Line:
These pads are good for the price its worth having them rather than your skin

Favorite Trail:   no.9

Purchased At:   The Gap Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   roller blade ones

Bike Setup:   Merida Comp, all stock

Submitted by Jimmy Rivera from vallejo CA, US

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2001

Strengths:    good and verry strong they dont move that much and they dont work to go for trails.

Weaknesses:    they get hot and my strap broke

Bottom Line:
they work pretty damn well

Favorite Trail:   4:20 trails (R.I.P

Similar Products Used:   my skin but it hurts when i mess up and SMACK my shine

Bike Setup:   S&M dirtbike profile 3 peace, S&M redneck stem, S&M pitchforks, s&m Slam bars, odi longneck grips,

Submitted by James Richmond a Weekend Warrior from Scotland

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2001

Strengths:    Protect shins well.

Weaknesses:    Do not protect knees, snap easily at the knee joint(mines have snapped)Slip of your legs really easily. Cut of blood!

Bottom Line:
They are ok if u are on a really tight budget but are not reccomended for serious use. Dont buy them unless u have to

Favorite Trail:   bomb hole

Similar Products Used:   Dainese pro air knee/shin gaurds

Bike Setup:   DS frame mavic 521 ceramics,maguras

Submitted by Anthony L a Racer from Halifax, NS , Canada

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2000

Strengths:    these Pads R pretty good because they work and they are inexpensive

Weaknesses:    No Protection on the back leg
not good for trails

Bottom Line:
these Pads R good for freeriding and I use these in slalom racing. I like them alot. thanks for the suggestion Patrick (from Clagary) your little suggestion works and I thank U for that suggestion.

Favorite Trail:   Wrandees

Similar Products Used:   Bare skin

Bike Setup:   Trek 6500
ROACH top tube and chainstay pad
sugino Crankset Mighty X500
Mavic X138 Deore wheelsets
LX rear and front Deraillers
Wellgo BMX Flats (freeriding and Jumping)
VP 108 for XC racing

Submitted by patrick a Downhiller from calgary, alberta, canada

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2000

Strengths:    strong. comfortable in mild weather.

Weaknesses:    tend to get hot in warm weather.

Bottom Line:
comfortable and strong, can get hot.

suggestion: if they slip around too much, leave the bottom 2 straps looser than the other ones.

Bike Setup:   kona cindercone, xt/lx, z1 CR, tioga 2.1 DH, sun mammoths

Submitted by RoadRash a Cross Country Rider from Steamboat Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2000

Strengths:    Light Weight, Low Cost, Little to no movement

Weaknesses:    No protection for the back of the leg.

Bottom Line:
These pads are very comfortable to wear. You basically forget they are on. They aren't very good for trials though because they don't protect the back of the leg. If you're like me you need protection back there. I think that they would work great for DS though. For the price you can't beat them. Four stars for overall because they don't cover the back, five for value because they are high quality for the price.

Favorite Trail:   Gold Bar Rim

Similar Products Used:   Roach DS knee/shin
Tae Kwon Do shin pads

Bike Setup:   Specialized M2 Comp
Monty X-Hydra 219

Submitted by Chris Cole from Wales

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2000

Strengths:    Absolutly amazing i hit a tree whilst wearing them and smashed the nerves ligaments and tendons in my knee. it may sound bad but i was told that if i wasnt wearing them i would have shatered the bottom of my thigh bone the top of my shin and my knee cap so these things kick ass for strenghth

Weaknesses:    none found so far.

Bottom Line:
The best they dont come much stronger than this!!!!

so i'll give this a rating of 5 burning roadies

Similar Products Used:   skin this stuff isnt to protective and tends to bleed or bruise when hit hard

Bike Setup:   merlin malt 1 ms set up for trials but i ride trails on it

Submitted by Artem Spec a Weekend Warrior from Moscow

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2000

Strengths:
Good construction
Big field of protection
high quality
perfect thing for the long time of use

Weaknesses:
Non-perfect fixation on shins

Bottom Line:
The best one for this price, more better than Fox 911.

6 months

Fox 911 knee\shin guard

Merida MATTS Elite 970, RS Judy C'99, Magura HS-33

Submitted by Chris a Cross-Country Rider from Bedford

Date Reviewed: December 18, 1999

Strengths:
No Pain or Blood or Scarrs or nuffin'
only £17

Weaknesses:
A bit uncomfortable

Bottom Line:
They are the best protection at this price so i give them 5 burning villages

That would be telling

6 months

Qranc
My Skin
2 pieces of wood tied to my shins(not recomended)

kona
bomber z4 flylight

Submitted by matt hubka a Weekend Warrior from edmonton alberta

Date Reviewed: June 24, 1999

Strengths:
hard plastic, but light. an almost glove like feel without the full legging. not to mention $30.00 cdn.

Weaknesses:
they do move a little, although i haven't played around with the velcro very much.

Bottom Line:
great feel and low price, not to shabby looks either

little jasper

less than 1 month

fox mtb knee/shin pads

k2 razorback, with noleen elite fork

Submitted by Peter McCann a Cross-Country Rider from Houston TX

Date Reviewed: June 3, 1999

Strengths:
Good protection, Quality construction (Italian), Good design for hot or cold weather, Lightweight

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
These pads have gone a long way toward pain and blood loss reduction during componant destroying crashes. They are showing no signs of needing replacment. I don't even know they're on while riding. Also pretty cool looking (see axo site). Axo has definately carried over they're motocross quality to cycling. Want some more free advice? Protect your knees. Once they're messed up, your screwed.

Rocky hill

3 months

C'dale duelly

Slim knee/shin guards?

I started out learning how to bike and realized that I fall quite a bit and get hit by the pedal often too. So I'm wondering if there's any slim knee/shin guards that'll fit nicely under pants. I tried going to bike shops but they don't really carry guards, so I don't have the slightest clue how wel ... Read More »

Wearing knee/shin guards and elbow pads on the plane?

Flying out (Southwest Airlines) to meet a buddy for a road trip for some riding. Space and time are limited so I am thinking about wearing the knee/shin guards and elbow pads while getting on the plane (short flight) so the rest of my carry on is available for helmet and clothes (trying to avoid che ... Read More »

Knee & Shin Guards for skinny legs

I'm looking at picking up some Knee and shin guards for riding. I have crap around me so no real way to check anything out in person. What would you recommend for a knee/shin guard for riding? I'm looking for something that is going to protect from pedals, falling, etc. Like to keep it under $100 ... Read More »

Knee/Shin Guards for skinny legs DH/FR

Hi all! Im fairly new to the mountain biking thing (I'm a rock climber mostly). I've been having loads of fun on my newly acquired DH rig, but at the cost of my bruised and bloody shins/knees. I've been looking for some knee/shin guards, but all the LBS's in my area are more catered to the road & ... Read More »

Knee/Shin guards for big guys?

I'm around 325lbs and 6'1" but seem to struggle finding knee/shin protectors that fit comfortably. I have pretty large thighs and have trouble finding some that fit well just above the knees. Though I'm a big guy I tend to ride hard and fast, and falls with that momentum can only end horribly.. ... Read More »