Specialized CrossTrail Hybrid Bike

• Frame: Specialized A1 Premium Aluminum
  • Fork: RST Neon Pro 700, 75mm, Hi-Ten steerer
  • Headset: Specialized 1-1/8" threadless, loose ball
  • Grips: Specialized Enduro, closed end, 130mm
  • Chain: KMC Z7, 1/2" x 3/32"

Submitted by Hugh

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2013

Strengths:    gears, brakes, ride, no mechanical problems at all.

Weaknesses:    Had to get a handlebar riser (1.5") to alleviate hand numbness.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding a 2013 sport disc XL for about 4 months. I ride 13-20 miles a day, commuting and going out with my wife in the evening. We ride 25-40 miles every Sat and Sunday (we got her one after I liked mine so much). I love this bike. Gearing is great - rarely use lowest or highest, but everything in between. Can go pretty fast (>20mph) on pavement; I average 15-17mph on my rides. I had to install my D-lock off to the side of the frame, as it will not fit inside with water bottles; this work-around is satisfactory for days I carry the lock. Pedals are bit on the cheap side, and handgrips could be better. No issues with spokes or rims. I have a great car that I rarely use anymore - I cycle most places now. I switched from 10 years of gym spinning to the real thing, and am glad I did. Overall I could not be happier.

Submitted by Ted

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2013

Strengths:    I bought Crossroad Expert bike this year after buying the Sirrus last year. I wanted a bike that I can easily ride on various trails. And this one delivers all around, without being overly expensive (under $2000 CDN).

Weaknesses:    I didn't like the stock tires. Didn't stand up to the conditions I rode in. Changed to Armadillo Crossroad, and very happy.

Bottom Line:
Overall a great bike for all surfaces and conditions without a heavy price tag.

Submitted by Laura a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2013

Strengths:    Comfortable, smooth-riding bike.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found weaknesses and I'm moving onto my third year riding this bike.

Bottom Line:
My husband and I bought these bikes in 2011 (mine's L, his is XL). We ride some light trails occasionally but usually stick to rail trails and the like and these bikes have performed well for us on asphalt, gravel, dirt, and grass. The optional suspension has been great when riding bumpier terrain, I can definitely feel the difference in the ride. Neither bike has needed any repairs. He weighs more (~215) but I've logged more miles as I go on more solo rides or out with the kids. As a mostly recreational/fitness rider this bike is perfect. I'm sure it's not tricked out enough for hardcore enthusiasts.

Favorite Trail:   Cape Cod Rail Trail

Purchased At:   Buchika Salem, NH

Submitted by Marc a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2013

Strengths:    Not many, if any.

Weaknesses:    many weaknesses - see my summary

Bottom Line:
I purchased two of these bikes (Specialised CrossTrail Sport Disc) in New Zealand about 5 months ago (Jan 2013). To date both bikes have been a pain with constant long term workshop repairs:
- within 5 minutes of paying for one of these bikes the chain became severely jammed and I had to walk the bike back to the shop to get it repaired. Ridiculous!
- since then one bike has had a recurring problem with the left hand (rear) brake leaking oil, and quickly loosing any grip due the hydraulic nature of the device. It has been repaired twice. The first time just a simple bleed, but the second time it was out of action a month (!) while the retailer pottered around fixing bits of it, and ordering parts. It appears with this bike, parts are difficult to get hold of - so if it breaks down, don't expect a quick response.
- in parallel the other identical bike has had problems with the "Suntour NEXi lockout fork" switch/toggle not working - it's just won't engage, so is constantly on the full suspension mode, which is less than ideal when on an open road. The bike has been back twice for repairs; the first time some quick repair that failed within a week, and then the second time a temporary glue fix (!), until a more permanent solution is identified (Ummm...maybe just replace the broken part perhaps?)

Oh and the seat is still fairly uncomfortable - but then I've not really had a chance for my rear to get used to the used to the bike seat, due to the ongoing operational failures!

In summary it is a rare day when both of these bikes are at home together - they are always instead in the shop being repaired.

Do NOT purchase any type of Specialised Crosstrail bike - you are looking for problems!

Submitted by Mike

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2013

Strengths:    Great balance of offroad and onroad capability.

Weaknesses:    Had to replace rear wheel after hitting a curb. I read another review by a big fellow that had the same issue (I am 245lbs).

Bottom Line:
I have both a road bike and a mountain bike, but ends up being the bike I ride the most.

Submitted by Bruce Bosman a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2012

Strengths:    The bike is lights and comfortable to ride. This is very afordable bike that is great for road trips or off-road riding.

Weaknesses:    The lock out front shocks worked well initially but it is stuck in the locked position now.

Bottom Line:
I bought my 2013 bike three weeks ago and just took it around the Washington Cascade Loop (364 miles). This was an unsupported ride and I had loaded down with gear. It excceded my expectations as I tested it on very steep climbs. It handled well at high speed as I came off of the steep grades of Rainy, Washington, and Stevens Passes. I replaced a rear tube after taking a nail and found the changeout very quick and easy. I would recommend this bike for any level of rider.

Submitted by Paul Veitch a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2012

Strengths:    This bike does what I want it to, I get my morning commute and vary the route to take advantage of some gentle green tracks locally. I'd be confident to take it a lot further afield and put on only limited mileage so guess I won't be wearing it out anytime soon. After sales included free servicing for a year so the bike has been well tended too. I don't think this bike can be criticized for not doing anything well, I rather think that is up to the rider.

Weaknesses:    Grips are pretty thin and I have had some wrist stiffness. I could argue it's a big heavy but I carry a lot of gear. It looks very attractive to thieves so have to carry a dirty big lock(s) I will change the tires eventually but have not had problems with punctures. The British model (mines a sports disc) come with Borough XT's

Bottom Line:
The bike has helped me get back into cycling after years of no exercise and depending on my car. I bought it as an all-rounder but now and thinking of another bike. I am pleased I paid as much as I could afford and think that although the components are not all top spec they are decent with no major compromises. Note I paid £500 (not dollars)

Purchased At:   Steels cycles, Newca

Similar Products Used:   I looked at a lot of other bikes and this was the best all rounder.

Bike Setup:   I added full length reflector guards, a rear rack, lights and computer. Plenty or room for adaptations and customized versions on the www

Submitted by Ray Finch a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2012

Strengths:    nice suspension

Weaknesses:    the break system is defective. in removing the front wheel for travel/maintenance, almost impossible to line up with disc brakes. will never buy another bike with the disc braking system. real design flaw.

Bottom Line:
good bike except for the brake system

Purchased At:   Sunflower-Lawrence,

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2012

Strengths:    I love this bike. I use it for commuting every day to work (4.5 miles one way), and for fun rides 15-20 miles on the weekend. It is comfortable, rugged, and a smooth ride.

Weaknesses:    My only complaint is that I needed a heavier back wheel. Keep in mind I was 320lbs+, so much heavier than the average rider. My local bike shop hooked me up with a wheel with a heavier weight rating and I haven't looked back in the 3 years I've been riding my bike. Despite my extra heft, the bike is lasting like a champ.

Bottom Line:
Great commuter. I'd recommend it to anyone who rides mostly pavement. It puts up with the heaviest of loads, and after 3+ years and 4600 miles of my abuse, it still rides like a champ.

Favorite Trail:   Lenoir Greenway

Purchased At:   Luna Cycle Lenoir NC

Submitted by Marcelo

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2012

Strengths:    Light, fast, confortable.

Weaknesses:    Breaks could be better

Bottom Line:
Great overall bike. Some people don´t like hybrids but don´t pay attention to them. Go for it.

Submitted by Brooke

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2012

Strengths:    I love the strength of the frame and how easy shifting is. I am able to keep up with my friends easily while they are on their super-light road bikes, while still being able to go off-roading much faster than them.
It is very comfortable and adjustments are super easy to make when needed.

Weaknesses:    The seat was a bit too stiff for me, so I had to change it out, but otherwise everything is great!

Bottom Line:
I'm using this bike for training and riding in a 280 mile ride this summer and I haven't been happier with a bike before! It is awesome!

Submitted by Mikey D a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2011

Strengths:    -Feels very well built
-Everything works as it's supposed too
-Black/flat black colour
-Very enjoyable ride
-Great bike for the price

Weaknesses:    -None (minus the fact I don't want to scratch it because it looks nice)

Bottom Line:
Prior to owning the 2011 Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc I have had my share of Mountain bikes, BMX's and a onesie. I ended up selling my Mountain bike and Onesie and purchased this bike. I could not be happier with this bike, the hydraulic brakes are smooth and easy, the gears a nice, wheels roll beautifully and the front suspension works great for light trails. This is exactly the bike I needed, I ride on the street and then sometimes light trails and along the beach. Honestly I was never a big fan of biking but now with this bike it's very enjoyable and I look forward to using it all the time. Great work Specialized.

Duration Product Used:   2011 Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc

Purchased At:   Obsession Bikes

Bike Setup:   2011 Specialized Crosstrail Sport disc (stock)

Submitted by Ali Javadi a Commuter

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2011

Strengths:    frame. I love how the frame is design and the design helps any rider to feel comfortable on it

Weaknesses:    The components set could be better, but still the original components run smooth. the weakest part is the wheel. I am over weight and I use rear rack all the time, but this would not give an excuse for my rear wheel to be broke after 1500 km

Bottom Line:
I am cyclonic, and I love my bikes. After ridding Giant CRX4 for 3 years, it was time for me to change my bike. After months of searching and reading reviews I decided to go with Specialized Crosstrail. To compare with my Giant CRX4 I have to say the bike is heavier, but the frame is stronger. Although the bike is heavier, it is very smooth in hill and I feel very comfortable on it. Since I bought the bike, I have put 2200 km on it. For the price I paid I believe I made a smart purchase.

Duration Product Used:   Comute