Specialized tricross sport Cyclocross Bike

4.53/5 (15 Reviews)

perfect for cross racing and freeroad riding

Submitted by itsKam

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2014

Strengths:    Price, value, design, and versatility. Updated disc brakes have reliable modulation and power. Frame is strong, relatively light, and it comes with mounts for racks/fenders front and rear.

Weaknesses:    At the price point of about $1300, there are no unexpected weaknesses. Components, drivetrain, and wheel set are reliable and affordable but not lightweight. Sometimes on pavement I wish the gearing was taller, but that thought is lost when we hit the single track.

Bottom Line:
2014 Tri-Cross Sport double - excellent product for the price. Sound all around build. Fast enough on pavement. Reliable, strong brakes. Handling is not too fast or too slow. Ride is moderately compliant and feels surprisingly comfortable off pavement. The dealer network is also a plus. Upgrades are a temptation, but I'll get to know the bike better before deciding if and where to start. If considering a do-it-all bike along with a limited budget, Specialized has the answer in the Tri-Cross. Cheers!

Submitted by TwoShoes a Weekend Warrior from Klamath Falls, OR

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight, has mounting for all different kinds of racks, fenders, and bags.

Bottom Line:
The Specialized Tricross Sport is an amazing bike for the all around cyclist. Light weight yet strong enough to handle any road or light offroad trail. The V-brakes work great even after owning a 29er with Discs in the past. It holds anything and everything I can mount to the rear rack and is a great commuter bike. Buy this bike and build it up to the ultimate commuter like I have and you will not be let down. The gearing is great for areas with lots of hills and I do not wish it had the 2x10 setup at all. The padded handle bars are very comfortable and the second brake levers are extremely handy when pulling up to cross walks or stop lights. In the past I've read about issues with front tire hitting riders shoes but I don't have that issue with this model. This is the most useful and fastest all around bike I've ridden.

If you want a good all around bike buy this one or get the upgraded Disc model.

Favorite Trail:   OC&E Trail

Purchased At:   Hutches Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Mamba 29er

Bike Setup:   2012 model, Deep-V wheelset, Borough CX tires, Topeak rear rack, Ortleib waterproof panniers

Submitted by Matthew a Commuter

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2011

Strengths:    Versatile enough to take on trails with lousy pavement and do some light off road riding. Handeling is nothing special but definitely not a weakness.

Weaknesses:    Shifting is adequate, though I find myself having to sometimes readjusting because the rear derailer can get a bit chatty after awhile, even after a good cleaning and greasing. None the less, the drivetrain keeps up well enough to navigate your way in and out of traffic. This won't be an issue in any other scenario.
The breaks are ok but not all that spectacular either.

Bottom Line:
My first bike since I was 15 (I am 27 now). I am 6'7", 235 lbs riding on a 61 cm frame. It's a good overall ride. This bike is my primary source for commuting, but it is also fun to take out on the trails and the open road. The stock tires are great overall and provide ample traction but are slow and tiresome to work with. Recommend throwing on smaller slicks if you plan on mainly riding on good pavement. The bike is at a decent weight of 24lbs and is not the fastest thing to ride, but does maneuver well. I ride all the time in DC where there are plenty of hills galor. Sometimes I find myself out pacing local traffic, especially when flying downhill on Independence Avenue. Also took it for a couple of spins through Rock Creek Park where there were plenty of slopes and fast/tight turns. Steering is very good but not extremely agile (perhaps this is do to my size as well as the size of the bike itself).

The bottom line is that this is a solid bike but doesn't really stand out of the pack. It's great for getting around down and hitting the open road.

Duration Product Used:   Mt. Vernon trail, Arlington/Alexandria, VA

Purchased At:   City Bikes, Washingt

Bike Setup:   Swapped the 32c tires for 25c. Threw on some lights and ditched the reflectors. Added a bell to ward off pedestrians. All the little things that make the experience commuting in the city a little better. Otherwise, everything else that is stock is still on.

Submitted by Daniel Walsh a Commuter

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2011

Strengths:    Good, solid bike, will keep going for longer than you can probably manage.

Weaknesses:    Not the fastest thing ever but I'm used to a mountain bike so it's all good.

Bottom Line:
Bought this mostly as a solid tourer as I was planning a 2,800km round trip around France and it did not disappoint. I was using the stock setup but with new 28c semi-slick tyres and a rear pannier rack (with loads as heavy as 20kg so don't be afraid to load it heavily).
The bike gave me no issues in that time and was never uncomfortable. If I was to change anything on the bike now it'd be a slightly comfier saddle (if I'm commuting on this bike then I'll unlikely be wearing cycling shorts) and new pedals because the ones on it are grand but I'd quite like something better.
I have experienced the stutter on the front brakes that many have mentioned but if you adjust your brakes well and replace the pads as necessary it won't be a problem.

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Never owned a cyclocross bike before

Submitted by Kevin Smith a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2011

Strengths:    Versitile, great looking, handles well.

Weaknesses:    Overlap on toe (big problem). Don't listen to the hype- brakes are fine.

Bottom Line:
This board has a lot of complaints about this bike- the biggest one being the brakes. I think that people forget that this is a cyclocross bike. The brakes are designed to avoid getting muck stuck in them. The sacrifice is that they are not quite as reliable. But, I must say that I have never had this problem on the bike. I have, however, had a real problem with the front toe overlap. This really is a dangerous problem, and I have dropped the bike a couple of times due to this fault.
As for touring, I did about an 800km ride last summer and was very pleased. It actually rides just fine loaded, and I would take it on even longer tours without hesitation (unless I was doing around the world or something, in which case the obvious choice is a Surly). Overall, though, this bike is versitile, nice looking, realiable and confortable. It's a great all arounder, but not exceptional at anything. If you want a race bike, buy a race bike, if you want a mountain bike get that. If you want something that does reasonably well at all these disciplines, this is a great choice. Fanstastic for commuting, though you have to be careful in a city like Toronto with a relatively sexy bike.

Duration Product Used:   Specialized Sport

Purchased At:   Broadway Cycle (Toro

Bike Setup:   Stock- have changed the tires before, but changed back to the stock ones.

Submitted by jeffingbmich a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2011

Strengths:    Responsive acceleration, very smooth drive train and decent quality at this price point, stable handling on fast gravel descents (25-30+), climbs well on steep two-tracks but geared taller than a mountain bike, great looking bike (the '09 model is black with a root beer brown top tube-lots of looks and compliments), comfortable cockpit once it's dialed in and you get used to the hoods and drops, comfortable seat, and excellent value at this price point.

Weaknesses:    Nothing yet and I've got about 500 miles on it.

Bottom Line:
I'm a 65 year old (6'-180 lbs)occasional mountain bike racer who loves to do training rides on rural gravel roads. This bike is perfect for this type of riding. I haven't had any issues with brake shudder or hitting the front wheel with my toe but I don't go over 30 mph too often and don't need to make tight turns. The bike is slightly faster than my hard-tail titanium mountain bike (Airborne) at the same weight (24 lbs w/ pedals for a 56 cm). This is also a great bike for the many rail trails that we have in Michigan. Ride quality is good with the carbon fork but the drops take some practice after riding the mountain bike posture for 20 years. I'm looking forward to doing some bike touring when I retire but don't have racks and panniers yet, so don't know about the fit.

If you have the extra $ you might want to get into a carbon or TI cross bike, but I think this is a great bike for the money and if you want something in addition to your hard-tail mountain bike.

Duration Product Used:   rolling gravel roads with hills and low traffic

Purchased At:   Assenmacher's in Fli

Similar Products Used:   No other cross-bike used.

Bike Setup:   Stock everything (Shimano Tiagra shifters/brakes integrated with LX mtb rear derailleur)

Submitted by mustang1 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2009

Strengths:    Nice, imposing looking bike, other cyclists check the bike out.
Very comfortable, from 32mm 80psi tires to saddle.
Versatile, mine has full fenders, rack, panniers

Weaknesses:    Dont like the brakes, especially front brake shudder (a common problem with all CX bikes)
Hate the front wheel toe overlap (also common problem with CX bikes).

Bottom Line:
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport.
Bought this as a winter commuter (my usual commuter is a road bike which I strongly prefer).
Was gonna give this a 2 star rating because the brakes and toe-overlap problems are just dumb to have on a bike these days. But gave an additional star because the bike is so comfortable. It's actually a fine bike if all you wanna do is go straight, but my commute includes wizzing in and our of cars and the toe overlap is just another thing I have to think about.
£1000 inc accessories

Purchased At:   cycle surgery

Bike Setup:   Stock, plus fenders and rack/panniers.

Submitted by Anniebikes a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2009

Strengths:    This was a stock bicycle with only a seat change. I rode the bike many miles before deciding that the hand/speed brakes on the handlebars were unnecessary for me and took up valuable real estate there. The bike is extremely comfortable and I have had no back pain at all. It is perfect for loaded touring, with eyelets for racks and wider tires for road/rail trail/gravel along the routes. Since I am lightweight, and always travel with a light load, even on distances, I knew this bike would work for me. With small adjustments on the location of the panniers, I have no problem with foot-heel touching. I also have not had any braking problems, shudder, etc. as reported by other writers/riders.

Weaknesses:    I had to get used to the triple as I have a compact double on my road bike. But I can get up any hill on this bike!! The shifting is a bit rougher than my 105's on the road bike, but other than that I have had no problems at all. A little tweaking for the fenders was all.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bicycle after three years on an ill-fitting used road bike, thinking it would be my new road bike! However, it has become the bike of choice for my touring habit. It is very well fitted for me and after I demo'd it in 2008, I was sold and had it shipped back to my home (I was visiting Denver). I later ended up buying a Felt Woman's Specific bicycle for my road habit!

Duration Product Used:   every one of them

Purchased At:   Bikesource #7 Denver

Bike Setup:   Stock, with removal of handbrakes on the handlebars, Shimano A-520 pedals (SPD), racks and panniers.

Submitted by davidm a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2009

Bottom Line:
It's a fun bike, but be careful if you're not an expert. It's a very balanced, light bike, you'll find it lifting off without hesitation. I have two bikes, this one and a 25 year old comfortable around town clunker with terrible brakes. Going down a hill with this bike you can contrast the drawbacks of grabby (front) brakes, one broken arm later. Also, for larger persons, the front fork actions aren't confidence inspiring in general.

Submitted by Nick a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2009

Strengths:    Stiff, for the most part. Good reliable stock set up, no need to really upgrade. Comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Short-ish chain stays, bar tape/gel pads(I prefer fizik tape with no extra padding), and the MASSIVE brake shudder.

Bottom Line:
I already have a nice road bike, and a single speed, but for the wet winters in Portland, OR I thought this would be nice to commute on. So far so good. With the exception of MASSIVE brake shudder on rough roads. The bike is completely stock minus a tire change to a 28 smooth road tire. The bike is on the heavy side, but I don't need a light bike just to ride to work, and the gearing (11-34, and a triple up front) means it will go up just about any hill you can find. One minor complaint, the chain stays do not seem to be long enough to accommodate a rack and panniers without my heels hitting them. So loaded touring may be out of the question on this bike. I'm not sure I would want to tour on an aluminum bike anyway. More on the brake shudder...I first had the stock brakes adjusted, tried new pads, and even new rims ( had a set of mavic cxp 23's around anyway, and no change. I then went to paul neo retros all around, maybe not the best idea. They are SUPER strong, but that actually made it a bit worse. It is most noticeable on fast downhills, and rough roads. The two combined have become a scary situation for me being that I love on top of long steep hill that is also a rough paved road. Not fun at 7am in the morning. But I can deal. Not sure what the fix will be, other than a new front fork. I have a feeling that is where the issue is.

Purchased At:   WheelFast in Chatham

Similar Products Used:   No other cross bikes used, but I have a Giant Bowery, and a S-works allez.

Bike Setup:   Stock, with the change to a 28mm smooth road tire.

Submitted by omie a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2009

Strengths:    Takes a beating from me, I'm 220lbs. I like the tripple over compact, not a strong rider and like having options when climbing. Have hit 39mph going downhill no brake shudder with stock wheels. I have 2nd set of wheels, with 23c tires that I want to try soon. It is my first real road bike sort of, and suprises a lot of real road bikes when I can catch up to them on a cross bike, of course the new wheels help.

Weaknesses:    Components, the LX der common, the mountain cassette. The stock wheels are terrible, as are stock canti brakes. I have bought a 2nd set of neuvation aero wheels that make a big diff with durace cassette and 105 rear deraillure. Brakes are next to be replaced, only because I have to readjust them each time I swap wheels from commutter to touring wheels.

Bottom Line:
I have the 2008 model, got it on clearance. They had the white or the blue one, both at 58cm. Looked around for some time, finally narrowed it down finaly by going into stores. Wanted the Fuji Comp with better components from Performance for less, but they never returned my calls or gave me much attention. B.V. was very friendly and they had 3K bikes on display so I could pick and choose from 1/2 a dozen of the 2008 models. Not dissapointed, its sluggish on the streets because of the stock wheels and 32c tires. only have 200 miles on it no problems what so ever.

Duration Product Used:   Cherry Creek trail up to Castle Rock

Purchased At:   Bicycle Village, CO

Similar Products Used:   Old shwinn fastback that I donated, my GT avalanche that I converted for commuting, after 1000 miles I wanted something faster.

Bike Setup:   105 rear der, durace 11-2? cassette, neuvation m28 Aero's and garmin Forerunner.

Submitted by rcummings1 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2008

Strengths:    Great do it all bike, keeps up with my roadie buddies with a 50-11, climbs like a goat with a 34t cog in the rear. Great on dirt roads and buff singletrack. Ton of fun.

Weaknesses:    Rear fender mounts full of paint. Tough to get fenders on. Needed longer mount bolt for front fender because of fork depth. Had to modify front fender bracket to clear mini v brakes.

Bottom Line:
I bought a 2008 Tricross because I wanted an all around, go anywhere, winter bike for Colorado. Bought it on clearance and I got lots more than I paid for. Rides well on dirty winter streets and I am having a blast connecting all the dirt roads together around my town. The components LX rear and Tigra triple front work well, Tiaga shifters working well, and I have yet to experience any braking shudder. It may be because my Tricross came with mini v brakes and not canti's as spec'd. Put fenders on and had to replace the front bolt for a longer one to get them to fit. All in all a blast to ride, smoother than I expected. I would definitely buy it again.

Duration Product Used:   Over the hill and through the woods

Purchased At:   Pedal and Powder at

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi Volpe, Lemond Poprad Disc, Surly Cross Check

Bike Setup:   Added SPD pedals, Garmin 305, Niterider lights, Planet Bike Cascadia touring fenders. Everything else is stock.

Submitted by Walter I. Bostwick a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2008

Strengths:    Bullet proof construction and really low gearing makes steep climbs reasonable, 50-11 top end keeps me rolling with the street bikes on the flats.

Weaknesses:    Needed to fine tune brake pads to eliminate scary front end brake shudder on heavy decents. I kept pulling stems thru wheels until I used tape as a spacer.

Bottom Line:
Good all around bike for the rough roads and steep hills here in the Virgin Islands. I wanted something with more top end than a mountain bike, but tough enough to go off road when necessary. I had wanted to go up the range, but the sport model with the triple ring better suits my abilities and the local terrain.

Duration Product Used:   hills and views

Purchased At:   Revolution Bikes

Bike Setup:   Stock, with SPD pedals, but upgrading brake pads soon.

Submitted by triteddy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2008

Strengths:    Very versitile- A truly do all bike. Very comfortable for an aluminum bike.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for all types of varied riding. Cannot find any shortcomings on this bike. I weigh 270 lbs and it feels like it will stand up to anything I throw at it.

I like to ride at night sometimes and the beefy tires give me an extra edge since gravel is hard spot. The tires give a very smooth ride on pavement yet can handle very rougher gravel and dirt roads also.

My previous bike was Trek Y-foil For Triathlons. I moved to a rural area with with rougher type roads and the y-foil just did not feel right anymore.

I tested the tricross several times along with other bikes for several months and kept going back to the tricross.

Duration Product Used:   Country-Side & Rolling Hills

Purchased At:   Gettysburg Bicycle

Submitted by MikeH a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2008

Strengths:    Solid frame; stock components work surprisingly well. The guy who sold me the bike told me I'd tire of the stock saddle immediately, however it is so comfortable I want one for my new bike.

Weaknesses:    Brake shudder that disappears with some simple adjustments. Wheels are not meant for the offroad that the tires seem to suggest. I have had so many flat tires that I ended up replacing the rims after about a year.

Bottom Line:
Bought this as my first bike with the intention of using it for commuting. I was looking for something that I could easily ride on the road but with enough beef to take on the trail if need be (sidewalks included). After consulting my brother, who is infinitely more well informed than I about bikes, he suggested a cyclocross bike. After quite a bit of research I landed on the tricross sport. Since purchase, I have about 2500 miles on it and still love it. I have done a few tours, including a century, with this bike and it never quits. It does get a little sluggish on road rides, but for sporting hybrid tires it keeps up with the carbon kids pretty well. I've taken this on a few unpaved trails (dirt, chips, etc) and while it remains steady, the lack of mountain tires and tread, it sinks into the ground and bogs a little. Regardless, I've gotten too many compliments on the bike to remember and as far as commuting goes, I doubt there is a better bike.

Duration Product Used:   Mt. Vernon Trail, Virginia