Specialized Tricross Sport Triple Cyclocross Bike

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

The Specialized A1 Premium Aluminum frame uses a slacker head angle and longer wheelbase for stability in any situation; rack and fender fittings let you gear up for any adventure. The TriCross Carbon fork couples precision steering with superb vibration dampening. The Comp-Set stem uses an oversized 31.8mm bar clamp for precision steering. The Specialized Comp handlebar has a hand-friendly ergonomic shape; the 31.8mm stem clamp area makes for responsive steering.

Submitted by Chris Maxwell a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2011

Strengths:    Not having to worry about that patch of gravel on the road. The choice of three riding positions and still having brake levers in my grasp.

Weaknesses:    A few more pounds than a similiarly priced road bike.

Bottom Line:
Actually the bike is the 2011 model but that year was not among the choices. I sold my road bike and got this because the roads are not always in perfect condition. Two weeks ago I did a ride of 40 miles half on the road and half on an unpaved rail trail that had more than a few rough sections. It was great to have a bike able to handle the ride. It's a little heavier than a road bike (26lb with full water bottle and saddle pack loaded with tools etc) in the same price range but the ability to ride on varied terrain is worth it. I'm a B rider with a 16-17 avg speed on a road bike. On this my avg is about 14 on rides of 45 miles with 2200 feet of climbing. This is definetly the best choice for cruising or commuting. Maybe I'll even actually try a Cyclcross race!

Duration Product Used:   New Paltz Loop

Purchased At:   Bicycle Depot

Bike Setup:   Stock except the pedals which are Shimano Peds with clips one side and flat platform on the other.

Submitted by thelankymanx2 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2009

Strengths:    Got the bike on special
Has a strong wheelset for a Clydesdale and for commuting
has bosses for front and rear panniers for touring
Specialised components
Zertz Carbon forks
carbon wrapped seatpost
Comes with 'crosstop' cx brakes
Sexy toptube

Weaknesses:    Square taper (old school) BB
Triple Crankset
Specialised components
MTB gearing
Cantilever brakes (just need to be tuned properly)

Bottom Line:
Triple CX alumnium with bosses for front and rear panniers. Designed for a sports CX race bike or a tourer.
Perfect bike for commuting on in rain and dodgy bike paths. Ended up getting this bike as there are very few CX bikes in Australia and my LBS has a 58 I could try before getting in a 61cm

Purchased At:   Total Rush Melbourne

Similar Products Used:   Specialised Allez Elite (roadie)

Bike Setup:   Stock so far though I will be adding Panniers for touring and maybe buy a tourer rear wheel for my clydesdale weight

Submitted by philoanna a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2009

Strengths:    Comfortable ride, lots of braze-ons to set it up like a commuter or touring bike, lots of extras. Nice looking.

Weaknesses:    Not much toe to front wheel clearance, but only a problem if doing a u-turn.
Saddle is a little hard. I might upgrade, but I think my arse is getting used to it.

Bottom Line:
Bought a 2009 model about a month ago.I did not love it at first until I got dialed in fit-wise. Now I really like it. I use it to commute a couple of times a week and for fitness rides. It's very comfy and fairly fast for a heavier bike. I put a rear rack on with a trunk bag that has some zip down side storage. This adds some weight, but carries all I need.
I like the "tweener"feel of the bike. I have the speed and hand positions and feel of a roads bike, but not ll that aggressive geometry.
It is flat where I live , so I really don't need the small ring, but otherwise the gearing is nice. I like the 50T big ring. Also, Specialized included alot of the things that I would have added like the brake levers on the flats of the handlebars and even a chain keeper to prevent the chain from over shifting if using the little ring. The adjustable stem has helped me figure out positions too.
It's is not a road racing bike and it is not a mountain bike. Buy it for fitness rides, commutes, centuries, and the such. It is perfect for that type of riding.

Duration Product Used:   any (road)

Bike Setup:   Rear rack with bag for commuting Cateye Mity 8, SPD's