Home | Reviews | Pedal | Xpedo

Xpedo Mountain Force SL/CR Pedals Pedal

4.17/5 (18 Reviews)

Xpedo Mountain Force Clipless Mountain Pedals Tension adjustable: IndexTo have 16 positions of adjustability 2 cartridge/1 sealed bearing Shimano compatible SPD cleat Basic platform allows use with either clipless or sporting shoes Ti Axle weight restriction! Xpedo recommends a 175 pound rider weight limit forThe Mag/Ti andTheTi/Ti

Submitted by Chris a Racer

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2014

Strengths:    The weight to cost ratio is pretty amazing here. I have now had these little guys on my hardtail for YEARS..and not a single issue/failure/shortfall. Entry and exit have always been dependable and predictable. The bearings are buttery-smooth, and it's all easily re-buildable if ever you need to do it.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
The XPEDO products in general are very well built, with features not found on pedals from more "known" brands. The road pedals are amazing too! I am an XPEDO-phile for life!

Submitted by markander a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2008

Strengths:    easy release (after stretching out the spring), works with shimano cleats, adjustable

Weaknesses:    too stiff out of the box

Bottom Line:
These pedals came stock on my Fuji Outland Pro. I had not used clipless pedals before and the stiffness of these concerned me, because I ride some fairly steep and technical trails in Phoenix. I found that I could greatly loosen the spring tension by prying the clamp part all the open a few times with a screwdriver. I also bought some Shimano multi-release cleats and they work well with the pedals.

Favorite Trail:   Papago Park

Purchased At:   BikesDirectAZ

Bike Setup:   Fuji Outland Pro stock

Submitted by Ian Hatton a Weekend Warrior from New Port Richey, FL

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2007

Strengths:    Clips ya in and when I'm going air born in the bad way, I can get still get unclipped.
Hard to beat the price point

Weaknesses:    They broke on me after about a year, I was left to flop over unable to clip and knocked over the guy in front of me. No Joke.
I was never happy with how hard it was to clip and unclip

Bottom Line:
They where cheap and they worked for a while, but the performance went down the drain pretty quickly.

Favorite Trail:   Alafia

Similar Products Used:   These are my first Clipless pedals

Bike Setup:   Kona Hardtail

Submitted by Sérgio Mourato a Cross Country Rider from Portugal

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2007

Strengths:    Easy Clip in and out; more lighter (312gr) than Shimano XTR (325gr); Cheap for the weight; Very Stylish; Standard SPD that makes possible to almost everyone mounts the bike without need to change cleats. I changed from Shimano to X-Pedo and I'm using old cleats.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Until now I believe they worth any € I gave for them. Excelent weight for the price (less than Shimano XTR that costs the double) very easy clip in-out. Very stillish pedals.

Purchased At:   ChainReactionCycles,com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano PD-M424

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000 (2006 model); LX Dual-Control levers; LX front-deraileur; XT rear-deraileur; sram cassete; Rock Shock Reba SL suspension; Mavic Crossland; LX hidraulic brakes

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Apex, NC

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2007

Strengths:    Great price, light, adjustable tension, good feel on engagement/disengagement

Weaknesses:    Wore out after 2 years - but so did other pedals I've used.

Bottom Line:
Nice positive engagement and disengagement.

Great pedal for the price. I wanted something that was 1) SPD since most everyone rides those so easy to swap bikes if needed, 2) adjustable tension cause I don't want to come unclipped unless I intend to (that ruled out EggBeaters), 3) reasonable price (that ruled out high end Shimano stuff, and 4) lightweight but durable.

I put a lot of hard miles on them in 2 years and they have held up as well as any other pedal I have seen. Now they are finally worn out so I'm going to buy another pair of Xpedos. Xpedo sells a rebuild kit for axle/bearings, but the body of my pedals are also worn.

Favorite Trail:   Pisgah

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Various Shimano mid-upper level SPD's

Bike Setup:   Fuel with SRAM, CrossMax, Float

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Bay Area, CA

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2006

Strengths:    Easy enty and exit, adjustable, fairly light,

Bottom Line:
Very good pedals that can be had for a reasonable price. The entry and exit on the Xpedo's are as good as Shimano without the excess weight.

So far these pedals have been durable, are easy to keep clean. There performace in mud is acceptable but I try to avoid riding in mud anyway.

I have a pair of the Ti/Mag version on my hardtail and despite the negative reviews, they are also performing well.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey, Time ATAC, Bebop, Rockwerks, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Turner Flux

Submitted by DEVO! a Racer from Vermont

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2006

Strengths:    HOLY RETENTION. There is absolutely no play in the pedals when riding. There are no unintentional clipouts. The price was perfect and the weight was too.

Weaknesses:    They look at little weak...havnt bent them yet......

Bottom Line:
I like there pedals. I know there are lighter ones out there but you cannot get them for this price. And its all about retention retention retention. Perfect for anyone.

Favorite Trail:   anything long, rolling, and technical

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   A bunch of shimano stuff that always gave me random clipouts.

Bike Setup:   Custom carbon frame, XTR drivetrain/brake setup, Crossmax,sette seat blah blah blah

Submitted by Alun Thomas a Cross Country Rider from Stratford, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2006

Strengths:    Simple, Reliable

Weaknesses:    Technical - uses bushes instead of roller bearings

Bottom Line:
Although the xpedo pedals use bushes instead of roller bearings they have proved reliable as I have done 9-10 thousand kilometers now on these pedals with no problems. I do maintain them at least every 500k with fresh grease, of which i use the heaviest, thickest compund i could find to prevent wear. It's easy to do you just remove the cap on the outer edge of the pedal/ fill it with grease and screw it back in. This forces the grease through the pedal and out through the seal on the other side, from where you wipe it off. Have had no real problems, although my right foot has worn a groove in the right hand pedal due to my wierd offset pedalling style I unconciously use. This would get 5 if it used rollers.

Purchased At:   Cycle Inn, New Plymouth

Bike Setup:   Commuter / Tourer

Submitted by David Shanahan a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2006

Strengths:    light, open design sheds mud, looks cool (so what)

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I saw these on ebay and was intrigued by the open design - not as skeletal as eggbeaters, but definitely more open and lighter than the Shimano 520, (and butt cheap!) I took a chance on the SS version and have been very pleased. A bit easier to get into and out of than the Shimano. So far the pedal has sustained one hard impact- in a turn at pretty good speed, I hit a granite baby head directly on the pedal hard enough to lift the bike off the ground. To my surprise, the pedal showed no ill effect. So far, nothing to complain about.

Favorite Trail:   Aska loop - Blue Ridge, GA

Similar Products Used:   shimano 505, 520

Bike Setup:   Giant Ranier, xt drive, lots of upgrades

Submitted by Martin Gaxiola a Weekend Warrior from Guadalajara, Mexico

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2006

Strengths:    Very good product

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Bottom Line:
My first clip pedals and its has been a good experience. This are a very good quality pedals, I am friend of the rocks and all kind of trees and never been a problem, i had hard crashes in races and also nothing. It was very easy to start in with the clip pedals. I will recomend this pedals.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   never

Bike Setup:   Trek 4500 with duke race 04 and thats it. Deore/less than deore componenets and bontrager parts.

Submitted by Scott Hayes a Weekend Warrior from Homeland CA USA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2005

Strengths:    Weight, shed mud well. Price?

Weaknesses:    No inboard bearing. Low reliability.

Bottom Line:
This is an update to earlier review. My bike has been making a clicking sound, like a bb failure for 3-4 months. I never suspected the pedals as they were only 6 months old. Until today. I happened to try to wiggle the left pedal to check for play. Sure enough, there was enough play that I can wiggle it and feel it. The right pedal was worse!
I coulda actually hear the 'click' that has been haunting me on my climbs! I took the pedal apart(a very simple process) and to my surprise there is only one REAL bearing.
The end has a bearing under the cap and a retaining nut. The other end is a bushing bearing, and allows for no adjustment or replacement that I can tell. So I put on my old Nashbar clipless that I paid 20 bucks for in 1998, and they are still as tight as new and the clicking is gone. Even if xpedo GAVE me new pedals I wouldn't take them as it is a design flaw and the new pair will probably wear out as well. I thought I got a good price, but if the reliability is so bad I really got screwed.

Favorite Trail:   Alvin Meadows Idyllwild

Similar Products Used:   Shim. 424. Nashbar special.

Bike Setup:   Turner Burner w/swinger. Manitou Min 1. Mavic/Hugi wheels Avid Disc. Pro Taper bars/race face deus stem.

Submitted by Bruce Brown a Cross Country Rider from Des Moines, IA

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2005

Strengths:    Lightweight. Small footprint (pardon the pun). Durable. Good price. Can support riders who weigh 200 pounds.

Weaknesses:    Even with the proper clips, it takes a little more effort to click out of these than all of the Shimano's I use on other bikes.

Bottom Line:
I was looking to get a lightweight set of pedals to knock off any rotation weight I could. I was drooling at the Ti and Mag models with their weight, but took note of the warning that they were only for lighter riders. I'm about 190 - 195, so I went with the stainless steel model and have been very happy with them.

One of the pedals oozed grease when I first rode it and I was worried that perhaps a seal had been broken. After an email with the company, I was informed that this sometimes occurs based on how much grease got packed in the pedal during the manufacturing process. I was told to wipe it off and keep riding to see if anything else developed. I wiped it off and have not had any problems develop. Pedals are light, responsive and hey - they are attractive. Goes great with an XT silver crankset! ;-)

Not as much float as some other pedals on the market, but that isn't a problem for me. They earn the highest value and overall rating for their price/performance ratio.

Favorite Trail:   7 Oaks, Sugar Bottom, Storm Mt., Maah Daah Hey

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   Various Shimano and Ritchey clipless pedals.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Sugar 293

Submitted by Matt G a Racer from Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2005

Strengths:    - Light weight
- Solid retention - even in technical terrain (Inconsistent retention on the left pedal was the problem that led me away from Shimano-brand pedals)
- very affordable

Weaknesses:    - Easy to bend rear retention bar upon contact with a rock -- I was able to bend it back, and the pedal worked fine, however.
- At times inconsistent step-in
- I always question the one bearing/one bushing setup for long-term durability, but so far, so good.

Bottom Line:
Good pedals, with solid retention. I have had consistent problems with inconsistent/unintentional release with new-generation Shimano SPD pedals (959, 540, 520) on the left foot, especially in technical situations. It does not happen immediately, but with a little wear on the binding mech., I can roll my left foot to the side and click out. No such problems with the Xpedo pedals, and they saved almost 100 grams versus my 959s (for a fraction of the price).

I've only had two problems with the pedals thus far -- one serious. While riding at a local park recently, I dug the pedal into a small rock on the side of the trail (while pedaling in a corner). It wasn't a major impact, but it did bend the spring-loaded side of the retention mechanism badly enough that I could not click into it. When I got home, I took a set of channel locks and bent it back straight, at which point I was able to use the pedal again.

The other minor issue is that, at times when I'm stepping in, the window on the ends of the pedals (pedal body sitting vertical) is just large enough to let the cleat begin to attempt to engage the binding that way (90 degrees from where it should actually be). Even though I probably described it poorly, the end result is that it sometimes takes a couple of stabs to get the right part of the pedal to click into. That's all, and in the grand scheme of things, it's not a particularly big deal.

I'll give them five chilis for value, and a solid four for performance. If they make the sprung retention bars more durable, I'd seriously consider giving these pedals five chilis all-around. They're worth a try!

Favorite Trail:   Holy Cross in GJ, CO.

Purchased At:   Monkey Wrench Cycles - Lincoln, NE

- RaceFace Evolve XC X-Type crank
- Thomson post, WTB saddle
- Avid BB7 discs
- WTB LazerDisc Lite hubs, Sun DS1-XC rims, DT spokes
- Hutchinson Python Gold mounted tubeless with Stan's rim strips.
- ODI ruffian lock-on grips
- SRAM chain

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Acworth, Ga. US

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2005

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    will not take any abuse, hard to clip in

Bottom Line:
Thought I would try out these because I broke the spindal on my 929's and figured I would try a cheaper pedal to ease the pain of my $120.00 Shimano disaster. I ride some rough trails but thats mountain biking right? So... One little lick on a rock and I'm missing half of my left pedal. I would have liked to wreck at least if I'm going to break something like this but I'm telling you guys, it was a little lick. These are good for city path riding.