Home | Reviews | Pedal | Xpedo

Xpedo Mountain Force Mag-TI Pedals Pedal

Xpedo Mag Ti Mountain Force pedals are an awesome set of pedals that blend strength, druability, and weight savings in a way that few other pedals on the market can. Magnesium body and a hollow Titanium spindle offer supremely low weight. Sealed cartrid

Submitted by mark kovacic a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2012

Strengths:    I wanted something lighter then Shimano SPD pedals and after reading some of the negative reviews I took a chance anyway. Some of the reviews are 5 years old so improvements could have been made to address some of the breakage problems. I have had them a year and have done several races with no problems including one mudfest. I am right at the weight limit but have bashed them on rocks and they still work great. I take care of my equipment and so check bolts, lube and clean my parts on a regular basis. If you are used to Shimano pedals you will have to adjust to a smaller platform and maybe fine tune the release pressure plus a few miles to get comfortable.

Weaknesses:    None so far but I do clean and tune on a consistent basis. If you expect parts that take a pounding to last forever without some attention, then you are being unrealistic.

Bottom Line:
I think this is a great product. Maybe xpedo has addressed some of the problems from several years ago and improved those areas. I have friends that ride their bikes everyday but never do any maintenance and wonder when something breaks or falls apart. They then declare it to be junk. You have to get real and check you bolts for tightness and lube occasionally as is recommended by every product manual that come with the bike parts. I am talking about that manual that most never read and throw away.

Favorite Trail:   Mills Peak

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   Various Shimano SPD pedals

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz SL 29, Stan's Arch, mixed XT and X9 drivetrain, Magura brakes.

Submitted by funnyjr a Weekend Warrior from Edmonton

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2010

Strengths:    They were amazingly light and looked great on my bike. Bearings smooth. Got them on discount so thought it was a great deal. Also I like the fact they are SPD compatible

Weaknesses:    Well, after reading the reviews left by others for these pedals, I thought that I would not have the problems that others were facing in that the metal tab breaking and rendering the pedals clip mechanism useless, since Iam a relatively light rider and try not to bash my pedals. Low and behold on a group ride I recently did, my left foot stopped clipping in mid way through the ride. I was forced to ditch as I could not keep up with only one pedal working. I made it home to discover, yep, same thing others faced, bent metal tab and tension screwed up. My LBS took care of me and gave me a full refund. Back to Shimano I guess.

Bottom Line:
I am tempted to try the Ti/Ti ones which seem to have a different design (no metal tab) but somewhat have second thoughts about XPEDO brand now. XTR seem to be more trustworthy at this point.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 925? 945? which were heavier but bullet proof.

Bike Setup:   Turner

Submitted by mtbne1 a Racer from Auburn, CA,USA

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2008

Strengths:    I've never broken any part of my Ti/Ti pedals over many thousands of miles of racing/riding. The cleats are easy to engage in the mud and I've never pulled out of them, even when hammering up nasty steepness.

Weaknesses:    None: I always laugh when my riding friends bash and bend their Egg-Beaters!

Bottom Line:
Every user's story will be different but the sign of a good product to me is to install it and forget about it....these pedals have done just that.

Favorite Trail:   Downieville

Similar Products Used:   Egg-Beaters, Shimano (various).

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight-XT Package

Submitted by TERENCEREYES a Cross Country Rider from Cypress. CA USA

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2008

Strengths:    this review is for the M-Force Ti-Ti
very light for SPD only 210g, slick design, well engineered
perfoms well, great price and awesome customer service.

Weaknesses:    minor, and easy to fix problem:
make sure to put lock-tight on the end caps to keep it tight and screwed. and this will save you from having any problems. you probably won't need to do it on the new ones because,(hopefully)they figured it out already.

Bottom Line:
If you like SPD, this one is recommended
very light, not too expensive, very nice, performs well, only problem I had was the end cap fell while riding.
just make sure its tight and screwed
(add lock tight or something similar on end caps)
and they stand behind their products very well
they replaced it, no problem. I hope this will help them
improve thir product even better.
I give it an A+

Favorite Trail:   Laguna Hills

Similar Products Used:   shimano spd. ritchey spd,

Bike Setup:   cross country bike

Submitted by duncan giblin a Cross Country Rider from tasmania Australia

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2008

Strengths:    light, cheaper and firmer fitting than anything else.durability is good. i have xpedo on bith my xc race bike and prohet trail bike and have cained both of them. lasted longer than than the shimano m515s and m540s i am hard on sh*t and these are the goods. i have had the retainer come off one trail bike pedal and all i had to do was unbolt the retainer base realign it, bolt it up again and it hasnt missed a beat. 3,000+ ks on xc and 2,200 on the other bike and all good.

Weaknesses:    rider

Bottom Line:
i have had agreat run out of mine. keep the threads loctited. they are the business. i wont get any thing else.

Favorite Trail:   kellevie 24 hour course

Purchased At:   appleby cycles

Similar Products Used:   m54o, wellgo, time

Bike Setup:   cannodale prophet, mav duc 32, race face cranks with endura bearings , black spire, rock shock monarch 4.2, xpedo mag
tis, juicy sevens, pro tper bars, 717s on hope and maverick hubs
single speed, gold cromo frame with magura pro hubs laced to velocity anodized red rims, deore cranks, gold kmc chain, alfine tensioner, some wierd old disk brakes i found in the shed
orbea lanza frame, reba race , race face cranks with endura bearings , black spire, , xpedo mag tis, xt brakes and drive train, xtr wheelset

Submitted by Chris Sharp a Racer from Columbus, OH

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2007

Strengths:    Have been on the Mag-Ti modles for OVER a year now. I am well over the hollow Ti spindle weight limit, and have had NO problems. I guess I am a better technical rider than some of the others in these reviews, because Cali and Utah have some pretty nasty rock gardens, and the pedals have performed flawlessly. Light, inexpensive, and always work in the worst of conditions.

Weaknesses:    The rider on them

Bottom Line:
Great pedal, great price, will never NOT buy these pedals. After a year of HEAVY abuse by a 6'3" guy all over the country, in every condition, they are still good as new.

Favorite Trail:   Marathon Trail, UT

Similar Products Used:   Everything Crank Bros, Shimano, and Time

Bike Setup:   Titus FCR frame; Spinergy wheels; XT; Truvativ Stylo Team Crank; 2 bearing Ti BB; Manitou R7 w/remote lock-out; Sunline headset

Submitted by Vegas Bob a Racer from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2007

Strengths:    ***This is for the MF-4A AL/TI model***
Stable shimano-like clip in/clip out with adjustable tension, but lighter than egg beaters (230 grams): sweeet!

Weaknesses:    My shimano cleats work better than the stock Xpedo ones. Bolts that hold the spring (not the tension adjustment bolts) came loose after about a month of use. After applying lok-tite and re-tightening, though, I haven't had a problem since.

Bottom Line:
***This is for the MF-4A AL/TI model***

I have raced on these all year, in the Cal State & National series, whacked them against rocks, etc, and they're still in excellent condition & buttery smooth. Super light and ready to race.

Similar Products Used:   Crank Bros Egg Beater & Candy, Shimano 535 & 505, Wellgo, Speedplay Frog

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Tanasi Ti, XTR, Spinergy Cyclones, Kenda Small Block 8s, Marzocchi Marathon SL

Submitted by Chris a Racer from Columbus

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2007

Strengths:    The hollow Ti spindles have held up EXTREMELY well, considering I exceed the weight limit by 35 lbs. No creaking, no locking up in mud. EXCELLENT pedal, and I would never buy Shimano stuff again based on the value of the Xpedo stuff. They have taken massive beatings and still work flawlessly. No creaking thanks to NO bushings, and they are still as tight as the day they were put on the bike!

Weaknesses:    Standard Shimano cleat works a little better, but I still am running the factory Xpedo cleat just outta spite and have had NO premature releases.

Bottom Line:
No better, lighter, tougher pedal out there. I have TWO broken ankles in Shimano pedals (when in mud), and the Egg Beater Ti's are heavier and more expensive by a great deal. Go get the XPEDO's and spend the difference on beer and tacos!

Favorite Trail:   Sydney Peak Trail, Utah

Similar Products Used:   Crank Bros EVERYTHING, Shimano everything, and some Time stuff. I use the Mtn Force pedals on my Titus road and mtn bikes!

Bike Setup:   Titus FCR and Solera

Submitted by Al a Cross Country Rider from MN

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2007

Strengths:    Light, reasonably priced for a Ti pedal, adjustable tension

Weaknesses:    Lack of durability, poor entry/exit in mud

Bottom Line:
**THIS IS ANOTHER REVIEW OF THE TI/TI MODEL**

I've broken 2pr of these in 2yrs. On both pair a small cast metal tab on the pedal body that retains the spring broke. This would leave one side of the pedal unable to hold a cleat and completely useless. These tabs are completely out of the way of rocks and obstacles and failed due to normal stresses. I've been using clipless mtb pedals since my 1993 Shimano 737's and have never broken any part off any of them and I've only grown older and less abusive over time. These pedals are poorly designed!

Before they were broken the pedals functioned ok. The entry and exit was similar to the older Shimano designs, works fairly well in dry conditions, not so good in mud. As they have a more open design then the older SPD's, I was expecting their mud and dirt performance to be better.

They are very light, and at under $200, which is far less than anything Crankbrothers has in this weight range, you could say they are reasonably priced. The customer service is good as well, after breaking the first pair I sent e-mails and digital pictures of the broken pedal and got a free pair (from Asia) in days. I threw in the towel after breaking the second pair, bit the bullet and got Eggbeater 4 Ti's.

Similar Products Used:   SPD, Time, Eggbeater

Submitted by Gary a Cross Country Rider from Easton, PA USA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2007

Strengths:    They're light and look nice in the package.

Weaknesses:    Not at all durable--one moderate contact with a rock caused the clip on one side of the pedal to break.

Bottom Line:
I was drawn to these by the "deal" of getting a $180 list price pedal for $40. Generally I research gear carefully before buying, but for $40, I figured, what's to lose? One of the clips broke after one ride, and I then wasted 2 hrs trying to repair it--what junk!

Purchased At:   Velodrome sale

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 520

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 90, Crossmax XL wheels, various upgrades

Submitted by Andrew a Racer from Munich

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2007

Strengths:    Incredibly light and have that "wow" appeal.

Weaknesses:    Just about everything.

The pedals are now two years old and ready for the bin. I'm able to clip-in OK but clipping out is impossible sometimes and on occasions dangerous (particularly when you need to clip out in a hurry). I have to twist my foot 90 degrees most times to get out.

The metal is so soft that the corners of the clamp holding the cleat in place have worn away.

I've crashed just once and it's completely scraped away the side rendering it impossible to now open the pedals for maintenance.

The inside the pedals you'll find a very small ring of bearings at the very outside edge but the main part rotates on a bushing mechanism. One of the pedals has a sideways play of about 1mm while the other is about 3mm. To my liking this amount of play is too much for a pedal costing 140euro.

Bottom Line:
Too higher price to pay for a pedal that lasts just 2 years (3,500km / 2,100 miles)

Favorite Trail:   Tegernsee - Valepp

Purchased At:   www.hibike.de

Bike Setup:   Extralite F1 Frameset, Pace Racing RC39 carbon forks, XTR an dmore Extralite components.

Submitted by Dirtbag from Colorado

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2007

Strengths:    Very Light, adjustable, great look

Weaknesses:    Had some trouble getting into and out of pedals. My left clip kept hanging up and almost had to twist my foot to 90 degrees to get a complete release..

Bottom Line:
I have noticed several complaints about the pedals not being able to withstand abuse in the rocks.. Well guess what.. these pedals were not designed to bash into rocks.. no pedal is for that matter..The softer medal wont last. Learn to ride smooth and equipment will last forever.. The clips that come with these pedals seem to work much better witha shoe with an open tread on the bottom.. If your a serious gram counter then these are the pedals for you.. I almost always put thread lock on anything I dont want backing out, so my adjustment screws are all still present.. I will review again in a few months.. Great Price but not for the beginer rock basher..

Similar Products Used:   4 sets of Shimano's

Bike Setup:   Single Speed

Submitted by Vanessa a Racer from Long Beach

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2007

Strengths:    Very light. Easy to clip in to.

Bottom Line:
I haven't used these pedals for very long, but they are very light and seem durable. I can clip in and out very easily and they don't seem to get clogged up with mudd.

Submitted by Chris a Racer from Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2007

Strengths:    NO BUSHINGS! Slop often found in Crank Bros pedals is non-existant in XPEDO stuff, thanks to the bearing-omly design. They are UBER light, and at 205 pounds, I have yet to break the hollow Ti spindle on my Xpedo's.

Weaknesses:    The Mag body is certainly soft, but I haven't had a problem with it because I have decent line selection through the rough stuff. My right side release tension mechanism has been a bit finicky, but has yet to be a legit issue during hard rides.

Bottom Line:
If you want a Pro level pedal, for ANY PRICE, forget all those crazy 300 dollar junkboxes. The Xpedo's are the real deal, believe it brada!!

Favorite Trail:   Thunder Mountain Trail, Utah

Similar Products Used:   I have raced everything from Shimano to Time to Crank Bros. These have the best bang for buck pedals I have ever used..

Bike Setup:   Titus FCR Ti hardtail with full custom spec., and Titus R and D issue Moto-Lite 2 w/ All Mountain Two build kit.

Submitted by Pasi from Espoo, Finland

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2007

Strengths:    Extremely light 230g. SPD with adjustable tensioning. Excellent mud and snow shedding ability.

Weaknesses:    Not the easiest to clip into, compared to Shimano clipless pedals due to square design. Have to be careful with the magnesium pedal body, as it is soft and damages easily.

Bottom Line:
These are just about the lightest SPD pedals around. If weight is important and you are kind to your pedals, these will do the job. Otherwise, go with '07 Shimano XTR PD-M970 pedals and the extra 100g of weight.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike