Home | Reviews | Pedal | Xpedo

• Color Natural Ti

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by WDJK a Racer from Klamath Falls, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2009

Strengths:    Light, SPD compatible

Weaknesses:    Bearing Life

Bottom Line:
    These pedals are garbage for durability. Buy Shimano or something else instead- toe straps would be better. I used them approximately 12 times on mostly dry off road rides before the bearings went out. I had the more expensive Ti/Mag. version. My bike shop called ~3 times trying to get replacement parts and the company always said the parts were on their way but they never showed. Finally I called and they informed me if the pedals were more than one year old they were out of warranty and they could not even sell me replacement parts- they won't be getting any of my business!

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR, Ritchey

Bike Setup:   05' Giant Trance 1 w/full XTR and 98' Specialized S-Works hardtail

Submitted by laffeaux a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2009

Strengths:    light weight

Weaknesses:    not durable at all

Bottom Line:
    I've owned two sets of Expedo pedals, their low-end chromoly pedal and a higher end Ti/Mg version. The pedals are really light - the low end Expedo is lighter than Shimano's XTR pedal, and the Ti/Mg is lighter still. The pedals are compatible with Shimano SPD cleats.

Initially the cheaper pedal felt pretty nice - comparable to Shimano. The higher end pedal felt fragile from day one. I used the cheap pedal off-road, and the nicer one on-road as it was damaged very quickly when I initially used it off road. Expedo did sent me replacement parts quickly so that I could repair the nicer pedal (good customer service).

Unfortunately, the bushings that secure the spindle to the pedal have a very limited life. The cheap version (used off-road) lasted one season before there a 1/4 inch of play at the spindle (no kidding, there was that much play). The higher end version lasted longer (likely due to being used on the road) but after two years the bushings were worn out and there was play (less than in the off-road set). In comparison, I own Shimano pedals that I've ridden for 10+ years and they work like the day I bought them.

If you're looking to build up a light bike and never ride it, get the Expedos. If you want to ride off-road buy a different pedal.