Home | Reviews | Pedal | WTB

3.65/5 (75 Reviews)

WTB MP250 Stealth Clipless

Submitted by Big Al from Los Alamos, NM

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2007

Strengths:    Extremely lightweight, plenty of adjustable float...separately adjustable in/out, looks cool, innovative design, few moving parts

Weaknesses:    Cleat retention plate durability, mechanism locks onto the cleat occasionally.

(Long review of these pedals below)

Bottom Line:
I bought about 6 of these at a bargain price, and good thing! The first pair wore out within about 500 miles of riding. Interesting and clever design though - the plastic housing functions as the cleat retention plate spring.

Maybe cranking in more spring tension on a new pedal than the pedal was designed for, causing the plastic housing to flex too much during release, is the reason many of the previous reviewer’s pedals cracked. Mine never cracked, even with HARD rock hits, but I kept the release tension “feel” at about factory setting.

Problem #1: I say “feel” because as the cleat retention plates wear at an alarming rate (where they clamp the back of the cleat), you need to keep tightening the adjustment screw to keep from having accidental releases. The cleat material is harder than the cleat retention plate’s material, so the pedals wear out much faster than the cleats…the opposite of what you’d want! Throw in grit and grime, and the pedals wear out even faster. Over time, the adjustment screws were as tight as they could get, and I would still pop out of the pedals…then it was time to slap on a new pair!

Problem #2: My feet occasionally got locked in these pedals as the other reviewers have, but I wasn’t able to figure out what was causing it. The position that (sometimes) locked my foot was when my heel was rotated inboard toward the cranks. Then, I couldn’t rotate my foot about the cleat and would have to violently yank it out of the pedal.

Bottom line: They’re nice pedals for light riding, especially where you have time to calmly react instead of panic when your feet get locked in the pedal, and may last for years if the cleat retention plates are regularly greased and kept clean (keep ‘em out of dirt/mud/grime/sand/dust). Too bad…it’s a clever design and could probably be a great pedal with a few tweaks to fix the problems. When my surplus of MP250’s either get worn out or sold on ebay (if I decide to just get rid of them), they’re getting replaced with Times.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SPD & SPD clones

Bike Setup:   Ventana El Capitan, DUC32 Fork,

Submitted by AB a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco Bay Area

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight, easy click to in and out of, reliable XC and road pedal

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I haven't had any problems with these pedals, unlike some of the other reviews. I do only XC style riding and that's probably the reason why these pedals have endured for over 3 years. I would not recommend these pedals for freeriding, rocky trails or trails with deep drops. I'm gonna give them 4 flames for value and 3 flames overall because they're riding style specific.

Favorite Trail:   which one

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Ritchey, Bebop, Coda, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Specialized Sworks, SID, XTR 8 speed drivetrain, Chris King

Submitted by Rob a Racer from Lemoore

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2006

Strengths:    Light weight, awesome adjustability, very durable and reliable.

Weaknesses:    I can't find them anymore...where can I buy another set?

Bottom Line:
These pedals ROCK! They are by far the best pedals I have ever used. I have used and abused them for three + years on many different trails from XC racing to shuttle downhill rides. The plastic cages are banged up but mechanicaly they work as good as new.

Now that I have a second MTB I need another pair. Where can I get another set?

WTB...how about manufacturing these again!

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on

Purchased At:   Don't remember

Similar Products Used:   Various Shimano, Ritchey, Wellgo, probably a few others.

Bike Setup:   SL built light for racing and Nomad for fun.

Submitted by Justin Seiferth a Cross Country Rider from 48 Park St

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2005

Strengths:    Float- lots of it and dialable. Easy clip in/clip out. SPD compatible so works on road and mountain. VERY light and reliable. The float and tension adjusts with a standard allen wrench. Easy to clean. Gave my knees freedom!!!

Weaknesses:    Unlike other reviewers- I have absolutely no complaints. These are the best pedals I've ever used.

Bottom Line:
I hope they keep selling so I can keep buying- four bikes equipped thus far.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SPD-R, Shimano SPD (Ultegra)

Bike Setup:   Habanero

Submitted by Steve a Racer from Exeter, NH

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2004

Strengths:    Light wieght, customer service

Weaknesses:    Plastic housing breaks, poor in muddy conditions, clip comes loose

Bottom Line:
First pair-the plastic housing cracked. WTB replaced them.
Second Pair-the metal clip broke off.
If you ride in muddy conditions, forget it. I had to resort to my old Shimano pedals as replacements.

Purchased At:   Supplied with bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano pedals

Bike Setup:   XC

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from ravensdale, wa

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2004

Strengths:    light weight

Weaknesses:    keeps breaking

Bottom Line:
Sent these back to WTB twice now for full warrantly replacement due to plastic cracking.
They also have a difficult release if too much float is dialed in. At times I've got stuck trying to release and needed extra human effort to release before suffering potential injury. Never has release been an issue while at speed, but slow speed messing around with too much float can somehow allow the cleat to hang up, beware.
The tension seems to go away in time and after a while have noticed a few "premature" releases after having ensured I was clipped in.
If you don't play too hard these are fine.

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Submitted by wolfbane a Cross Country Rider from p

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2004

Strengths:    I posted about these 4/7/2002. I was very happy with them.
My wife still has them on her road bike and is real happy with them.

Weaknesses:    I, on the other hand, have reluctantly abandoned them in favor of Time ATAX XS pedals. The stealths far too readily lost their grip. I've been barely clipped in for quite a while now even though they are tightened to the max.

Someone mentioned getting their cleat stuck in the pedal. That's happened to me several times too. Never have understood the cause. I really wanted WTB to be rewarded for these pedals but unless they figure out a way to make the tightness more permanent, it is time to put this design out to pasture. The Times are fabulous!!

Bottom Line:
Unless they are free, get Times.

Similar Products Used:   Time ATAC xs

Bike Setup:   Huffy, Sun Tour, Scott front fork, DeathGrips, White Bros. BB, ( just kidding)

Submitted by Rick Sabata a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2004

Strengths:    light weight, simple

Weaknesses:    cleats can become easily jammed in the pedal

Bottom Line:
loved the light weight, but at certain angles when trying to get out of the pedals I have have my shoes become so jammed in the pedals that I have fallen over and have had to take off my shoes and yank them off the pedals. (I have been riding clipless since '95, so don't think it's due to inexperience) This has happened on several occasions, and reluctantly I have gone back to my shimano 959's. They're heavier, but have worked (almost) flawlessly. I don't know what it is about the design that causes this problem, but I have talked to other riders I know that have used these pedals and have heard similar complaints from them as well. Good value, but the execution leaves something to be desired.

Similar Products Used:   onza ho's, shimano 959's

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur with F100X fork, grip shift, front Hayes disc brake, rear Avid arch rival brake

Submitted by johnnydangerous a Cross Country Rider from missoula, montana, USofA

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2003

Strengths:    hmmm...give me a minute...good design, if I stayed clipped in they'd be great...

Weaknesses:    loosen up way too easily, the screws on the plates and on the tension clips. I find myself pulling out of them when climbing, or when I wiggle my toes in my shoe! I have to stop at the top of every climb to tighthen them up again before I head down, Lame. Sorry WTB, great wheels, great tires, great seats, weak pedals.

Bottom Line:
This pedals came from the factory on this bike. If I had chose bought them, I'd be pissed. I've ridden them only for a couple months, maybe 500 miles and they are shot in my opinion. They don't stay tight and I don't stay in them. Maybe I'm hard on them and being hard on WTB but XC riding is a hard game and when I pay what it costs now for all this "bomber" this and that and it doesn't hold up it just pisses me off.

Favorite Trail:   fenceline

Similar Products Used:   first set of clipless

Bike Setup:   steel XC, Avid mech discs, LX, WTB wheels,

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2003

Strengths:    Light and still has something to stand on if you're not clipped in.
Separate float and tension adjustment

Weaknesses:    I had an incident with the retention one one pedal mechanism when I hit it hard (I mean really hard ) on a rock. So, I couldn't clip into one side of one pedal. See below...

Bottom Line:
I'm really impressed with these pedals. I have a set on both of my bikes. Mud isn't really an issue around here, so I can't say I have much experience with these in that department. All around, they're a very good pedal for my type of riding.

As I mentioned above, I smacked a pedal really hard into a rock. Let me make it clear, I don't fault WTB for this. I hit my pedals as much as the next guy, this time was REALLY hard. I emailed WTB, got an RA number, and sent them back. I was fully willing to pay for the repair or replacement if necessary. They ended up sending me a brand new set. That was very cool.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Submitted by Tim K a Cross Country Rider from Dutchess County NY

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2003

Strengths:    They work when new. Light. Positve retention feel (again, when new). Very adjustable (ahh when new). WTB technicians are helpful and friendly- guess how I know! They are warmer than metal in winter!

Weaknesses:    They stop working reliably too soon: don't stay tight, screws back out. I had a pair crack at a seam, a friend has a crack developing on his. The cleats haven't worn out, replaced the plates which did help for a little while. I JUST CAN'T STAY CLIPPED IN!

Bottom Line:
They did not pass my 2 year test which included 2 sets purchased, and 1 then warranteed, and, one set owned by a friend. If I could just stay clipped in, I'd keep them. The plastic bodies (2 sets) has held up for 6500 miles (each) of hard XC.

Favorite Trail:   Taconic -Hereford

Purchased At:   Bikeman

Similar Products Used:   SPD

Bike Setup:   Crack'n'fail RAVEN, Warranted with Jekyll. F3000.

Submitted by Daniel Geva a Racer from Israel

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight

Weaknesses:    Plastic frame brakes after few rides !!!

Bottom Line:
These pedals suitable only for "soft" trails or roads ridings.

Bike Setup:   These pedals comes with the Marin Mount Vision Pro I have bought. By the way, the tires that this bikes comes with, Maxxis Minotaur, are also not siutable for rough terains.

Submitted by Ben Reisse a Cross Country Rider from baltimore

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2003

Strengths:    Light, and light again, the only pedals I have seen lighter are the crank brothers egg beaters, but most people don't want to ride on just that an egg beater, that offers no support at all. Anyway, yea i haven't had them forever but to me they just feel better than a metal pedal also to boot the adjustable tension and float, what could be better

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
If you find them for under 100, i saw them as low as 50, they are worth a shot, have fun riding. Also, want directions to the best mtb'ing on the eats coast, that would be avalon in patapsco state park, hit me up, its my back yard so I know it quite well.

Favorite Trail:   avalon

Purchased At:   bikesource.com

Similar Products Used:   shimano and ritchey pedals

Bike Setup:   santa cruz superlight, sid, raceface cranks, avid discs

Submitted by M Clarke a Weekend Warrior from Merseyside

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2003

Strengths:    very light, reasonable size as a platform and sheds mud reasonably.

Weaknesses:    Plastic is too soft, poor exiting, difficult to set the float and they either self tighten the bearings or unwind them.

Bottom Line:
I have 2 sets of these pedals, one lot came as standard on my Marin. I'm disappointed with both sets of pedals. In order to reduce the float to a minimum you have to wind out the allen screws on the top of each pedal and as a result they are poor at unclipping or release unexpectedly and I have the injuries to prove it. The basic concept is fine but plastic is plastic whether it's called "thermoplastic" or not. And the plastic just can't hold the screws in place solidly enough. Also they either tighten themselves or the opposite on the spindles. One set of these pedals has allen bolt access to the spindle the others are flat screw access. I don't know why this is but it's not what you expect from such an expensive pedal.....here in the U.K they are discounted at £59.95.........which is Shimano 959 money but with no contest. Shame because they are nice and light but my experience of them is not recommendable and that's with 2 sets.

Favorite Trail:   Gwydyr Forest

Purchased At:   cycle1st.com

Similar Products Used:   You name it!

Bike Setup:   Marin Rift Zone, Marzocchi MX ETA, Deore/XT, Shimano 959s.

Submitted by simon a Cross Country Rider from japan

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2003

Strengths:    weight, wider platform means you can ride without your dedicated cycling shoes. Fairly open. Price was good

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
i don't bash rocks with my riding style so no probs with breakages.Good clear instructions and easy to use. Shed mud pretty well and light weight and versitile. I would buy these again . hard core thrashers would probably do better with Times but will cost more.

Favorite Trail:   hashikamidake

Purchased At:   mail order

Similar Products Used:   speedplay frogs, shimano, time, look.

Bike Setup:   cyclocross