Home | Reviews | Pedal | WTB

WTB Momentum GG Pedal Pedal

2.67/5 (6 Reviews)

The Momentum Pedals by WTB a strong pedals that are great around town or on your commute to work, with a steel cage and forged alloy body.

Submitted by thistuff a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2011

Strengths:    -grips well

Weaknesses:    -cage needs regular maintenance

Bottom Line:
My stock pedals finally wore out, and I figured I'd get metal ones to replace them. Shopping locally there was a very limited selection, and I settled on these for the looks (not fluorescent, etc), the decent price, the size (not huge and bulky) and the assumed grippyness of the cages.

I ride mostly dry, rocky trails with a lot of grades, marshy/bush areas, and also spend a lot of time on the roads. After a few months, there haven't been any major problems. Unless you are a gentle commuter type, you will want to run a metal file over the cages after every few rides to break off any jaggies, and use a small adjustable wrench to bend them back into shape - the aluminum is quite soft.

I have not experienced any of the thread shearing mentioned by another reviewer, but I may not be heavy enough for this to have happened yet. :\ I did however lose one of the cage screws - to replace these you'll need size M5 x 0.80mm machine screws. The originals are 12mm long, but unlike most machine screws they are tapered at the tips - 12mm replacements I got would not screw all the way down to the cage, so it appears the hole might also be tapered. I had to use the next size down (8mm) to properly fasten it. In retrospect I'm not sure how that other reviewer managed to use _longer_ screws. 4/5 for the price, but 2/5 overall for unconvincing durability. They work, but I do not expect they will last as long as the ones they replaced.

Similar Products Used:   -stock resin pedals

Submitted by mattthemuppet a Cross Country Rider from PA USA

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2011

Strengths:    look nice, not especially heavy

Weaknesses:    crap bearings, crap seals, stripped and reassembled these pedals so many times - the LH axle thread causes the cone and locknut to tighten up until the pedal seizes, the RH axle thread does the opposite, so the bearings sit loose and the outer cone wears off centre. I've even tried epoxying the LH cone+locknut in place, all that did is slow down how long they took to tighten up. Oh, and 2 of the cage bolts stipped.

Bottom Line:
complete junk - $10 pedal with a $40 price. I've had plastic bodied pedals last longer than these with a fraction of the hassle. Currently threw my old flatties on until I get some $15 Welgos off eBay. AVOID

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   a bunch

Bike Setup:   Cannondale 700 HT set up for commuter duty

Submitted by danielnc06 a Weekend Warrior from charlotte, nc

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2009

Strengths:    lightweight, great grip

Weaknesses:    weak cage, weak seals

Bottom Line:
Well i am not a heavy rider or put these through abuse. I never fell on the them hard and at most i just brushed rocks with them while going through some rock gardens. after about 2 months of use with toestraps, the outer cage was extremely bent and warped. the aluminum used is cheap and weak. I know weight savings is important but thin steel would have been more durable. but once removed to repair the cage, i could feel that the bearings were rough and hard to spin. dust had already penetrated the seals. Overall for the price vs. durability, i would just buy cheap 15$ pedals and see how long they last.

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by Olineman a Cross Country Rider from Katy

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2009

Strengths:    Great grip when I dont want to go clipless. Sturdy. I have banged the mess out of these pedals and they have continued to work very well.

Weaknesses:    Occassional dissaembly needed to clean

Bottom Line:
Love em for everyday use.

Favorite Trail:   Anthills

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   Other platforms.

Bike Setup:   Trek 6700 / Haro Flightline Comp

Submitted by pewthers a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2009

Strengths:    They lasted a while; comfortable with thin-ish soled shoes like Converse All-Stars.

Weaknesses:    Bolts holding cage to body are too short.

Bottom Line:
These lasted for more than 5 years and were comfortable for commuting. The biggest problem that I had was that the bolts holding the cage on were so short that only a few threads were engaged in the alloy body and they would pull out and strip those threads. Putting in longer bolts that engaged the still-intact threads fixed the problem. The Grease Guard ports definitely can get plugged, but I was usually able to use them as intended.

The bearings finally crapped-out today. I haven't had them apart yet to see if they're salvageable. I'd say that they're sort of pricey for what they are, but looking at how mangled the cages look today I feel I got my money's worth. Still, I'm knocking off one chili for the bolt issue.

Favorite Trail:   Platte River State Park, NE

Purchased At:   Cycle Works, Lincoln

Similar Products Used:   Suntour Sprints, Shimano DX (back when they were clip and strap, NOT platform DX pedals), various other toe clip compatible pedals.

Bike Setup:   These were on various bikes, mostly used for commuting when I didn't want to wear SPD shoe around. Primarily on single speeds or fixed gears, sometimes with toe clips, sometimes with Power Grips.

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from CA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2009

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    GG doesn't work, fragile

Bottom Line:
I'm old and retro, still use toe clips/straps. After a few months of use, the grease guard "feature" is jammed on both pedals; you cannot inject grease into the bearings.
I called WTB, the tech said to disassemble the pedal to clean the gg port. I said the reason I bought gg was so I wouldn't have to disassemble the pedals!
Great idea, poor execution.

Favorite Trail:   Off the pavement