Home | Reviews | Pedal | Wellgo

Wellgo WAM-M3 Pedal

2.21/5 (29 Reviews)

The M3 pedals feature a new retention mechanism that allows easier cleat engagement thanks to a wider front port. The low profile forged alloy body makes this a great lightweight pedal. The CrMo axle and sealed bearings provide a long smooth service life. 302g

Submitted by pat a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2012

Strengths:    look nice

Weaknesses:    impossible to adjust

Bottom Line:
Have had good reviews of Wellgo pedals in past. However, these pedals out of the box were terrible. Adjustment screws come loose and clipping in was a nightmare. On the trail, adjustments, no matter the force, pedals did not release. Use at your own risk. Spend a little more get a better product.

Favorite Trail:   Black Mtn.

Purchased At:   on line

Similar Products Used:   ritchie, shimano, wellgo

Bike Setup:   Turner FS, all xt

Submitted by flynbryan19 a Cross Country Rider from Salisbury, NC, US

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2011

Strengths:    -Inexpensive
-Easy to use
-Light
-Easy to adjust

Weaknesses:    -hard to clip into when muddy
-screws will back out if not checked
-can come unclipped unexpectedly if spring preload is set too light

Bottom Line:
Had to comment on my experience w/ these after seeing all the negative reviews on this pedal. This was my first clipless pedal set and came with the shoes I bought. I didn't expect much after reading the reviews (after I bought them), but have been REAL happy w/ these pedals.
The price is great, they're light, and they're easy to use. Yes I've noticed the screws can loosen, but ANY mechanical product (bikes/cars/anything) should be gone over before a ride to make sure all is well. They will get clogged when muddy, but I don't ride in heavy mud. This is a GREAT pedal and I'd have no problem recommending them to anyone.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Shimano clipless pedals

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance4 (xc)

Submitted by tan00ki a Cross Country Rider from Livonia, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2010

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    Durability/Reliability

Bottom Line:
These were the first clipless pedals I purchased in 2007. The first pair I had lasted about a season before one of the pedal platforms pulled from the spindle during a ride from a worn out bearing.

Since the price was so attractive, I bought a second set. They also lasted about a season before the adjustment screws fell out.

The third set I currently have I got for free from my brother so I decided to just try one more time. Due to rock strikes, both pedals only work on 1 side now. The springs were damaged and they have clamped closed permanently. They are somewhat usable still but this will be my last pair. Personally, I think they should be able to take a little more abuse before completely failing.

The bottom line is that each set has served me ok for about a season before failing. If you do light trail riding or path riding these are great but for any aggressive riding I would look for a little more quality. For $10 more I am going to go with Shimano 520s. Judging by the reviews, I think this is a better decision.

Favorite Trail:   Maybury State Park

Similar Products Used:   None yet

Bike Setup:   2006 GF Tassajarra with lots of upgrades.

Submitted by grahamlocke a Weekend Warrior from White Plains, Ny USA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2010

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    This is an awful product. You almost cannot clip in, and then it is IMPOSSIBLE to unclip. I had to twist so hard that my knee hurt for days afterwards. When you adjust the tension, the screw is likely to fall out...and it doesn't make a bit of difference!!
Save your money, this is a disaster.

Bottom Line:
avoid!! spend $55 and get a pair of Shimano 520's and ride with peace of mine

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 520

Submitted by fisher_rider05 a Cross Country Rider from Welaka, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2009

Strengths:    low profile, sealed bearings

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
It works just fine

Favorite Trail:   Oleta

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   shimano 545 cage pedals

Bike Setup:   Custom Gary Fisher genesis frame

Submitted by xcmountainbiker90 a Cross Country Rider from beachwood

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2008

Strengths:    there ok came wit shoes

Weaknesses:    screws fall out does anyone know were i can get extra screws for it?

Bottom Line:
its a ok item

Bike Setup:   avalanche gt 3.0

Submitted by FOGAF a Weekend Warrior from Louisiana

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2008

Strengths:    CHEAP

Weaknesses:    These thing have fallen apart completely. The first time I adjusted them, I backed the adjustment screw out too much and had to undo the "I" shaped piece of metal, which semi-stripped the screw heads. Then one day I hit a pedal on a rock and the clip clamped shut and I had to force it back (this may be a normal thing when this happens). And The same ride, the bolts that hold the spring on started coming out by itself, and when I went to tighten it, the bolt broke.

Bottom Line:
DO NOT BUY spend a few more buck for good pedals, or buy some used. These may be good if you do really-really light trail of road riding, but then why would you need clipless.

Favorite Trail:   Lincoln Parish Park

Submitted by bikermanjme50 a Weekend Warrior from Indianapolis

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2008

Strengths:    This was the first clipless pedal I tried. They are very inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    The screws that hold the I shaped plate on in the center of the pedal came loose all the time. I tried lock tight to get them to stay, but nothing worked. Eventually I lost several screws and one of the metal plates as well. the heads of the screws also stripped out pretty easily.

Bottom Line:
Don't waste your time or money with these petals. Spend the extra money and buy Shimano.

Favorite Trail:   Amasa Back Moab

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   shimano m520, Crank bros smarty.

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain ETSX 50

Submitted by mtbkr1290 a Cross Country Rider from JC, NY, US

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2008

Strengths:    Easy to clip into when u figure the thing out...

Weaknesses:    Messed up in a few ways...

Bottom Line:
I got these pedals a while before i got the shoes because i thought it was a good deal. I dont know if it was a bad sight or what... The second i got the shoes i went to put the cleat in. I had to file down the washer to get it to fit in the clip.... and the cleat's arrow is pointing the wrong way! i figred the pedals were on the wrong crank shafts. After i got everything together they worked absolutley fine. Pedals, Good. Cleats that come with them, Trash

Favorite Trail:   Chenango Valley State Park

Similar Products Used:   first pair

Bike Setup:   Haro v3

Submitted by rocket88 a Cross Country Rider from Yuma AZ

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight, smooth spinning, great price!

Weaknesses:    Cheesy chrome plating flakes off (doesn't affect performance though), lack of threadlock on small screws.

Bottom Line:
These pedals are light and perform great. However, the price obviously shows the lack of attention to detail. Like adding a threadlock to the attaching screws upon installation and realizing the chrome plating just was unneccesary (would'be been cheaper and lighter w/o). Please keep in mind that these are lightweight material pedals for XC riding. I got a carried away going downhill 20+ mph and smacked one side on a rock. I remained clipped, but the bottom clip/spring mech. broke. Basically the lightweight body material/tab that holds the spring in place rounded off, causing a collasped spring. LONG STORY SHORT, if you remove and reinstall the screws w/some threadlock before hitting the trail and properly adjust, clean & lube them every 2-3 rides, they'll give you plenty of lightweight & smooth spinning action for a long time!

Favorite Trail:   Laguna Mtns

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 520's

Bike Setup:   Lightweight XC

Submitted by chrishei1 a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2008

Strengths:    give me a sec I'm trying to think of one.

Weaknesses:    everything they are hard to clip in and almost imposible to clip out of and if its muddy just put your platforms back on they get even worse with mud i got to walk back a few miles because i could baraly get in and once i was it was imposible to get out.

Bottom Line:
don't even consider them i gave up on clipless due to these pedals until i rode a pair of eggbeaters on a friends bike and ordered my set the next day. The only thing i could think of using these pedals for is paperweights

Favorite Trail:   Ant Hills

Similar Products Used:   eggbeater c's

Bike Setup:   specialized hard rock stock with eggbeater c's and tires

Submitted by andyblack a Weekend Warrior from Warner Robins, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2008

Strengths:    cheap price

Weaknesses:    cleats that come with the pedals

Bottom Line:
These pedals have been getting mixed reviews. Hopefully I can clear up the confusion by saying that there is nothing wrong with the actual pedals themselves. The reason everyone is having problems staying clipped in is because of the cleats that are supplied with them. They are junk! I guess it's just a poor design. I was ready to throw them in the trash minutes after putting them on, but I went down to my local bike shop and they put a set of real Shimano brand SPD cleats on my shoes for about $18. Guess what? The pedals now work perfectly. They're easy to clip in and out of and they won't unclip when you don't want them to. My advice, though, would be to go ahead and get the Crank Brothers Egg Beaters for about the same price as I had to spend on these Wellgos and the cleats to make them work.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper hardtail

Submitted by Gerardo Chaves a Weekend Warrior from Cartago, Costa Rica

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2007

Strengths:    Came with shoes

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I was affraid to buy this pedals because of the comments but I really like the shoes they came with and the price was very attractive. Now I am very satisfied with this product. Easy to get in and out, once adjusted and lubricated. Great value!