Home | Reviews | Pedal | Wellgo

Wellgo WAM-M3 Ti Pedal

1.91/5 (11 Reviews)

The M3 pedals feature a new retention mechanism that allows easier cleat engagement thanks to a wider front port. The low profile forged alloy body and the super light weight titanium spindle help put the pedal on a diet. 258g.

Submitted by jeff a Cross Country Rider from Danville,CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2011

Strengths:    light, cheap, easily adjustable on the go. On price point they come with desent Sette shoes.

Weaknesses:    suck balls. less than 2 weeks and half the peddal can't clip it. Loosens easily when bouncing around.

Bottom Line:
These just suck. They loosen and tighten on their own which makes it unpredictable for tension.NEVER USE ON A HARDTAIL!
They make me want to go back to skate shoes and platforms. They're only good cause they're light and cheap. Maybe used for light xc like fire roads or something. Good shoes though.

Favorite Trail:   Sulfer Creek aka Sycomore creek

Purchased At:   price point

Bike Setup:   2009 giant xtc2

Submitted by jja a Cross Country Rider from Boulder CO

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2008

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    durability

Bottom Line:
I'm done with Wellgo pedals. The original Nashbar-branded Wellgos were great- light, cheap, durable- and are still going strong for me after 10 years. I've tried 3 more Wellgos for other bikes and they tend to fall apart. The M3s are also hard to get in & out (and I know how to adjust them- I've even completely rebuilt them). They can't take a hit and parts bend or go out of alignment at the slightest whim.

Similar Products Used:   Wellgo, Shimano

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2007

Strengths:    Fairly light, and very cheap.

Weaknesses:    These were my first SPD pedals. I initially found that to release, it was best to force my whole foot outwards as well as twisting it.

The moment there was any dirt on my shoes, however, it became impossible to unclip. Twice so far I've had to get out of my shoes at the end of a ride. The shoes were locked in so tight that the cleats were rotating on the soles of the shoes. The cleat bolts were as tight as I dared set them without stripping the retaining plate threads, and the adjusters were as far out as they could be without being actually loose.

Bottom Line:
I'm using the cleats that came with the pedals, on a pair of Sette MTB shoes with these M3 pedals. Unless it turns out that there is some sort of cleat incompatibility/foul up, I would say that these pedals only work if you keep them and your shoes meticulously clean. I therefore consider them not to be fit for purpose, since they are intended to be MTB pedals, where a rider sometimes has to get off and push or otherwise walk in his MTB shoes.

These pedals are dangerous!

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Several versions of Look road pedals on my road bikes.

Bike Setup:   11 yr Old Rockhopper with full ESGE mudguards.

Submitted by Craig Chenery a Racer from Queensland,Australia

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2006

Strengths:    Very Light,They look very presentable,Compact.

Weaknesses:    I have had no problems with them .

Bottom Line:
I have been using these pedals for over 15,000 road kms now without any dramas at all.They are very light and responsive.I would recommend them .They are lighter than a lot of up market road pedals and have a much smaller price tag.

Favorite Trail:   cch43680@bigpond.net.au

Purchased At:   eBay -Zursters

Similar Products Used:   Shimano mtb , Look keO classic

Bike Setup:   06'Giant TCR Composite Zero

Submitted by Lee a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2006

Strengths:    Light, red.

Weaknesses:    hard to clip into, easy to release out of.

Bottom Line:
I unfortunately got sucked in by the low weight of these pedals, and bought them before reading the reviews. I decided that I'd try them out anyways, and use the suggestions by the poster below. First I tried removing some of the screws to lock-tite then in. I got a couple out to do so, but some were very well secured already, and couldn't remove them all. Then I spent 30 minutes beveling the rear clips on the pedals. Rode them, and had an impossible time trying to clip in. So I loosened the tension, beveled 'em some more, and it was a little easier to get in, but VERY easy to get out.
I think that a good product should work well right out of the box. You shouldn't have to make a bunch of mods to them just so they work adequately. I cannot recommend these pedals to anyone, as they just dont' work well.

Favorite Trail:   Trail of Tears

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Shimano's, Nashbars, ATAC's, Frogs

Bike Setup:   '05 NRS

Submitted by Brett Wolmarans a Weekend Warrior from Thousand Oaks

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2006

Strengths:    cheap super light spd compatible

Weaknesses:    seem like not enough float - left knee is feeling it compared to my old PD-M515's. Wanna buy em?

Bottom Line:
made me appreciate float.

Clipping in is tougher, have to loosen them up too much to clip in easily, and then and does become disengaged a bit too easily. But hey, they work.

Favorite Trail:   space mountain

Purchased At:   supergo/performance oxnard

Similar Products Used:   PD-M515

Bike Setup:   04 Stumpy w/crossmax

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from LA, SoCal

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2006

Strengths:    Freaking light. Freaking cheap. They are easily serviceable, easily adjustable.

Weaknesses:    Finicky to get adjusted correctly. Screws tend to come out on their own. Quality control.

Bottom Line:
All you people complaining about how hard to get into these pedals have not adjusted the retention spring well at all. Make it loose enough and it will clip in and out with great ease. To make it even smoother going in, use a Dremel and bevel the striking edge of the rear retention mechanism, and smooth off the ramp on the cleats while you're at it. Then take some Locktite or super glue and remove the screws holding on the various plates, placing the glue or locktite in the threads, and re-assembling the whole thing. Next Take off the end cap, remove the 9MM nut, and slide the pedal off the spindle. Slather some good quality grease on the bearings, and put it back together. You will have a top notch, reliable, super-light pedal that looks great for a rediculously cheap price. Re-lube the bearings every few hundred miles, and they will last. It is silly to spend $100 and up for pedals when a little care will make these perform just as well or better.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Clip pedals, platform pedals, crap, etc...

Bike Setup:   KHS alite 4000, Marzocchi Marathon, Sram X9 X7 X-Gen, Easton bars, Avid Single Digit 5 Vbrakes and Speed Dial 7's, Sun 0 degree rims.

Submitted by adiapc a Cross Country Rider from nj

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2005

Strengths:    ti

Weaknesses:    clip

Bottom Line:
I bought this pedals for my training bike. This is the 3rd time I try this pedals and this was the last time. Please don't buy this pedals, for me is to difficult to clip in/out. I crashed 2 times because I had no time to clip out when I needed. I will be replacing this pedals with a crank bros, which are the best ones!.

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   crank bros eggbeater and candy ti

Bike Setup:   santa cruz blur SRAM X0, Crossmax SL, Mybro, carbon FSA, thomson

Submitted by Sam a Weekend Warrior from RVC, NY USA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2005

Strengths:    Light Weight, Cheep, Strong Enough.

Weaknesses:    Suck to clip into, too easy to pop out

Bottom Line:
I wanted to like these pedals and I stuck it out for a while but they just suck to get into and come out way too easy. Today was the last straw. How hard is it to make a decent knock-off? I bought these to replace aging Ritchie logics. I figured there the same thing except ti. Wrong, they stink compaired to the Ritchies and those are a relatively cheep SPD. I'm gonna try ATACs and Egg Beaters and see what happens.

Favorite Trail:   Killington #6