Home | Reviews | Pedal | Wellgo

Wellgo WAM-D10 Pedal

4.67/5 (9 Reviews)

Submitted by cameden a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2014

Strengths:    Light weight, very versatile, easily adjustable, strong like bull.

Weaknesses:    paint wears down after some use.

Bottom Line:
These are awesome pedals for those looking for both the benefits of a platform and SPD in the same pedal. Reasonable lightweight and function very well on both sides. Its nice that the SPD is only on one side, the other is very comfortable for everyday riding with normal shoes or just that skecthy section where you dont want to be attached to your bike any more then you have to be. I have a pair of Shimano M162 shoes and they work flawlessly with these pedasl. Highly recommended for anyone from the everyday commuter to the avid downhiller.

Submitted by aliikane a Downhiller from san jose, ca

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2010

Strengths:    versatile. i just wanted a clipless platform pedal that you can use flat shoes for sketchy obstacles or big jumps. these fit the bill. great platform with removable pins on one side, clipless on the other. the platform side is very grippy. clipless side is dependable. cromoly spindle with smooth sealed bearings. i was a little skeptical of the clipless mechanism but i have found it is solid. good release and secure. some people may gripe about the clipless only on one side and difficulty finding the clipless side but i found it is very easy and not a problem.

Weaknesses:    i would like to see them in anodized milled aluminum.

Bottom Line:
solid pedals for the money. great platform side that is grippy. clipless side release is good and also secure.

Favorite Trail:   demo

Similar Products Used:   shimano m540, platforms,

Bike Setup:   intense 6.6. van 36

Submitted by Ride D Shore a Cross Country Rider from North Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2010

Strengths:    I have had these pedals for a few years and they are great. I am an all mountain rider on the Shore and it is great to clip in for the climbs and have the ease of platforms for the descents. I bought my first two pairs form MEC but they don't carry them anymore. I just ordered 2 more pairs (2 bikes) from Pricepoint.com at a screaming deal. One pair on my '06 Stumpy Expert have more than 15,000 km on them and they're still great (but a bit squeaky).

Weaknesses:    I did have one pair where the SPD side broke but MEC replaced them and they have not failed since.

Bottom Line:
I would really recommend these and thanks to GoremanX and mtbr for showing me where to find them again.

Favorite Trail:   Pingu/Severed

Purchased At:   MEC and Price Point

Bike Setup:   '02 Spec Enduro, '06 Stumpjumper Expert, '10 Stumpjumper Expert (next week).

Submitted by GoremanX a Cross Country Rider from Ile-Aux-Noix, QC

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2010

Strengths:    Large, wide platform. Super-easy to clip into. Hold well on both sides. Strongest, most resilient bearings I've ever used. Dirt cheap compared to the competition.

Weaknesses:    Finish chips off easy.

Bottom Line:
I used to consider the Wellgo brand to be synonymous with cheap Asian crap. Many forum members panned the fact that these pedals are single-sided SPD. But the Shimano M545's hurt my feet when I ride with normal shoes and the Time Z Controls turned into a complete nightmare meltdown, so I was desperate to find something that was comparable to my favourite Bontrager Big Earl platform pedals yet still included some kind of SPD (or similar) mechanism.

I was a bit concerned about these pedals. They were cheap, and they were made by Wellgo. Turns out they're the best damn pedal for my needs. My feet click right in on a whim. If I'm on the non-SPD side, I can tell immediately by the feel of the pedal. A quick lift of my foot for half a crank rotation and the SPD side ends up right where it should be. I don't even have to look down to do this, it's just become second-nature. Stepping out is even easier, a quick twist of my ankle and my foot is released. I never click out by accident, but I never fail to click out either. The resistance is perfect. Plus, it's infinitely adjustable with a single screw on each pedal. I'm currently using the factory default setting.

The platform side of the pedal doesn't quite compare to my old Bontrager Big Earls as far as grip is concerned, but it's still way better than any other SPD pedal or entry-level platform. Thanks to its width, it's very comfortable for long rides with any shoes/boots you want to wear. My giant Caterpillar safety boots are no problem on these pedals.

The most important aspect for me is toughness, the pedals need to be seriously resilient. I weigh 250 pounds, and I beat the crap out of my pedals. I completely destroyed a pair of Time Z Controls within a month. I've put 1400 hard miles on these things since last year, even through a cold, snowy winter, and they're still going strong. The bearings continue to spin smooth as silk, and theres no play whatsoever. Everything feels even better than it did when they were new. The SPD mechanism hasn't suffered at all despite the salty roads and wet snow that I jammed into it with my cleated winter boots. These pedals have yet to fail me, they're the longest-lasting pedals I've ever owned.

Other people have stated that these are a great "learner" pedal. I submit that they're a perfect pedal for the advanced rider who uses his bike for everything and anything. I intend to put at least another 2000 miles on these this year, and I'm not worried about a failure. I may buy another set "just in case", before they're no longer available. At $40, why not?

Favorite Trail:   Island Line, Burlington, VT

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano M545, Time Z Control, Bontrager Big Earl

Bike Setup:   '08 Kona Hoss bare frame custom built from the ground up

Submitted by PB Matrix a Downhiller from Gumi South Korea

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2010

Strengths:    9.2 OZ so not light, but not too heavy

Weaknesses:    Anno chips easily

Bottom Line:
Great pedals, I like them. Really nice to have a flat pedal to start out on when you stall on a steep climb. Buy them, if you don't like them, I'll buy them from you...

Favorite Trail:   North Gumi Trails

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Flats, Shimano Campus pedals, All the CB ones, XT, 520's

Bike Setup:   2010 SJ FSR 29er, Stock with Stans Arch rims

Submitted by youdothemaths a Downhiller from UK

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2009

Strengths:    they perform brilliantly

Weaknesses:    did manage to rip one of the replaceable pins off in an altercation with a rock, but i did hit it hard so not really a weakness.

Bottom Line:
If you're used to downhill or bmx, prefer baggy clothes to lycra and are trying x country and want to clip in - these are the peddles for you. Don't bother with any of the others, i've tried most of them and they don't match up. I use these peddles with 661 filter shoes and the flat side grips like glue. Your foot guides itself into the clips on the other side - you don't even have to think about it. A twist of your ankle and you're free to put your foot down. The ONLY peddle that truly offers the benefits of a really good flat peddle with the option of clipping in. I've already bought another pair becuase i can't stand the thought of using anything else (should i manage to damage the pair i have on now). Well done Wellgo!

Submitted by T_N a Weekend Warrior from Victoria, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2008

Strengths:    Strong, fairly light (magnessium body), lots of friction between the pedal and the shoe, and they look good too.

Weaknesses:    It hurts if you bang your shin on them.

Bottom Line:
They work great! And the low price makes them even better. I'm really glad I bought these! If you want to learn to use SPDs but also want the ease of a flat pedal these are for you.

Purchased At:   Mountain Equipment C

Bike Setup:   '07 Marin East Peak

Submitted by Thomas lamourine a Weekend Warrior from Ridge, NY

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2007

Strengths:    super rugged!! one side platform for beginners like me!

Weaknesses:    little heavy for XC but I beleive they are really for DH so that's not a big deal

Bottom Line:
great learner to clipless. very rugged!! beaten then on rocks, stumps, mud, trees, dirt, etc... scratch the hell out of them but still fine. don't think I'll use them for ever. but for a cheap intro to clipless you can't beat it. I have looked at other dual side but most are the steel band outer style and I think the way I always am wacking the pedels on stuff that I'd just bend the things.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Point

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   egg beaters for quick run

Bike Setup:   K2 apache 5 - XC

Submitted by Robbie The Dog a Weekend Warrior from Boulder, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2007

Strengths:    Great sneaker grip, good mud clearance & clipping. Cheap

Weaknesses:    Maybe heavy, if you care about that sort of thing. A bit chunky, so you'll scrape them on rocks when clipped in, sometimes. BFD.. Almost too grippy with some shoes on the platform side (no float feels weird after years of clipless).

Bottom Line:
These are great. The platform side grabs my sneaks, mtb shoes, whatever, with no slip. They have replaceable teeth (really set/grub screws). The clip side works fine, too. These help me on the scary tippy tech uphills, and scary tippy tech downhills--pop a foot out, and you are good to go, no falling off the trail, down a hill, into a bush, say. hypothetically.

These are also great on my commuter--any shoe I happen to put on my foot that morning hooks up well. Almost a perfect commuter/beater pedal.

What I like is that, unlike the shimano dual-side pop-up clip-in with weird surround cage, they are actually very comfortable (read flat and non-slippy) to use with a sneaker. And the platform side is beffy, unlike the quill-style-clipless hybrids I have used.

You can bash them pretty well, too.

I have both the aluminum and magnesium pedals. They seem pretty equivalent (though I didn't weigh them).

Favorite Trail:   the 401

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   platforms and clipless....peanut butter and chocolate...
Shamino dualside clip/platform annoying combo

Bike Setup:   commuter, standard crappy hardtail