Home | Reviews | Pedal | Wellgo

Wellgo MG-18 Ti Pedal

3.83/5 (12 Reviews)
Weight : 246 grams MSRP : $70.00

Cast magnesium body offers the same durable performance as aluminum, at an even lighter weight. Single rear jaw mechanisms resists twisting or jamming, and are built tough to stand up to the abuse that pedals must endure. Adjustable release tension allows a wide range of settings to suit every type of rider. Titanium axles (with corrosion-resistant titanium nitride coating) offer a great balance of lightweight and affordability, and spin on ultra-smooth cartridge bearings.

Submitted by Jeff Adams a Weekend Warrior from GA

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2007

Strengths:    LightWeight, Long Service life.

Bottom Line:
These pedals lasted 6 years of mountain biking, then were put on my roadbike when my one sided welgo road pedals failed me. I was very happy with them. The ultimate failure was the plastic sleave. It just twisted off instead of unscrewing when I went to service them. They had been apart before successfully, but that was their death. Excellent overall

Similar Products Used:   Other Wellgo pedals, Shimano m959, shimano m540

Bike Setup:   These pedals came on my '98 Profles 5500c.

Submitted by Vince Klakovich a Cross Country Rider from Sandy, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight, easy exit

Weaknesses:    Noisy

Bottom Line:
I am very pleased with these pedals. On sale for $50, I thought, what the hell, I'll give them a try. They do make a clicking noise when spinning, but cleaning and lubing takes care of it. If these last a couple years, they will be the best bike part purchase I ever made.

Favorite Trail:   White Rim

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 515s

Bike Setup:   '03Fisher Sugar 4+, lotta mods

Submitted by Hugo a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio, TX USA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2003

Strengths:    Lightweight, Price

Weaknesses:    Noisy, Retaining clip broke

Bottom Line:
Clicks, squeeks even when not under much of a load and even on the upstroke. Lubing only helps temporarily. About a month after I bought mine, my friend bought a set too. His are just as noisy as mine. About two weeks ago, the metal retain clip broke off of one of his pedals. I initially thought that he must have hit a rock or something, but last week, the same thing happened to mine. Good luck trying to track down Wellgo for replacement parts. The noise I can deal with. The clip is a mfg. defect in my opinion. I would not recommend them. I've had pedals that cost half as much and did not have this much trouble with although they were a little heavier. I'll probably be trying the eggbeaters next.

Similar Products Used:   Other Wellgo products, Ritchies, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Intense Tracer, Rock Shox Sid 100, Hope mini disc brakes. XT/XTR

Submitted by Hui a Cross Country Rider from LA, CA

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2003

Strengths:    Good weigh to price ratio. Clipping out is a breeze if the tension spring is set to the lowest setting. Enough float, but my knees aren't bad so I can't really tell. It works.

Weaknesses:    Hard to clip in and out in extremely muddy and gritty conditions. Noting special about it except the ti spindles.

Bottom Line:
A great value for casual riding and weight savings. Probably not good for where a lot of clipping in and out occurs. Not so good for extreme muddy conditions.

Buy it if you are a weight weenie on a budget and don't mind an standard unexceptional pedal. I give 4 for overall since it's weight is pretty good.

Purchased At:   SUPERGO

Similar Products Used:   Toe clips!

Bike Setup:   01' schwinn moab2

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2003

Strengths:    Very light; require very little maintenance; adjustable clip in/out tension very predictable.

Weaknesses:    Sometimes have problems clipping in on the go, but I think thats par for SPD's.

Bottom Line:
Great weight for money; peform well; require little maintenance; have continued to work well despite repeated bashings into rocks, etc.

Similar Products Used:   Other Wellgo and Shimano SPD's

Bike Setup:   '01 Homegrown Pro frame, custom wheels w/Am Classic hubs and X317 rims; Avid mech. discs; XT derailleurs; LX crank; Easton carbon bar; etc.

Submitted by Robert a Racer from Jax, FL...U.S. of A

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight, ease of entry, no unplanned releases...sheds mud!

Weaknesses:    Squeeks sometimes...yeah it's nit-picky!

Bottom Line:
I bought these pedals because of the light weight and my Ritcheys wore out. I rode them for many months without even giving them a second thought, they just always worked as advertised. Then I had a race on a rather wet and muddy course. I was concerned about there performance, because most shimano's and my ritcheys were horrible in the rain. Well half way through the race I noticed that I wasn't having any problem whatsoever getting in or out of the pedals...I was totally amazed. I can't explain why, but these pedals seem to work almost flawlessy in muddy conditions. They are by far the best pedals that I've used!

Favorite Trail:   The one that i'm on

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Shimano and Ritchey spd's.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz SL with all the lite stuff!

Submitted by Mossy a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2002

Strengths:    weight, price, "universality"

Weaknesses:    weak retention clips?

Bottom Line:
Function as well as any other Shimano clone Ive tried, which is to say pretty good in dry, marginal entry/release performance in mud. They are nice and light, with decent interface. Havent noticed any problems with noise, they pedal quite smoothly.

I did break one of the retention clips (on the "toe" side) on a rock hit. Luckily, I was able to salvage one from an old pair of Nashbars I had -- not a perfect match, but it works well enough.

I was interested in trying Times or Eggbeaters, but didnt want to change cleats on all three pairs of shoes I use.

Overall, a good investment for the weight-conscious, but mudders might want to look elsewhere.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey, Nashbar (essentially all the same)

Bike Setup:   Klein Adept Race, SID SL, Avid Vs, Shimano combo d-train

Submitted by DOUG B a Cross Country Rider from RIVERSIDE, CA USA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2002

Strengths:    LIGHT WEIGHT, FUNCTION WELL.

Weaknesses:    COLOR

Bottom Line:
THESE ARE NICE LIGHT PEDALS, AND I PERSONALY HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH THEM. I ONLY WISH THERE WERE BETTER COLOR CHOICES. I HAVE A FRIEND WITH THE SAME PEDALS AND HE HAS HAD PROBLEMS DISENGAGING FROM THEM SINCE DAY 1. MY SUGGESTION IS IF YOU BUT THEM IN STORE TO INSPECT THEM AS WELL AS YOU CAN BEFORE YOU PURCHASE THEM.

Favorite Trail:   AS LONG AS IM RIDING

Purchased At:   SUPERGO

Similar Products Used:   SHIMANO, VP.

Bike Setup:   SCWHINN MOAB 2 XT, LX MIX MONKEY LITE BARS, SAVAGE WHEELSET, DUKE SL 100MM.

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Flemington, NJ

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2002

Strengths:    Lightweight, affordable, decent float

Weaknesses:    Noisy! Squeaked, rattled, clicked!

Bottom Line:
I _really_ wanted to like these pedals. There aren't many sub-300 gram pedals out there for under $70! (actual weight 270g -- original claimed weight of 246 appears to have been for hollow ti axles, mine came with solid Ti axles).

These pedals had three main problems:

1) loud squeaking while pedaling (seated spinning)
2) clicking on upstroke (especially while climbing out of saddle)
3) loud rattling while pedaling over rough surfaces (much more noticeable when on road bike).

The squeaking goes away temporarily (for approx. 5 miles) after light oiling of pedal plate, and then comes back. I am guessing that the noise is caused by the fact that the cleat only really contacts the steel support plate at four small contact points. (wear on support plate clearly identifies these points)

Problems 2 & 3 are due to too much vertical play when the cleat is engaged in the pedal. I have used several models of Ritchey, Shimano, and Wellgo SPDs, and have never felt this much vertical play, even with extremely worn-out pedal/cleat combos.

Although my pedals may have simply had bad tolerances, I'm afraid I can't recommend these to anyone.

I returned mine to Supergo, and will give the Eggbeaters a try instead.

Favorite Trail:   Tequepis, SB, CA

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Most Shimano, Ritchey and Wellgo SPD models over the last 10 years.

Bike Setup:   Relevant: Race Face LP crank / Dura-Ace crank

Submitted by tom kimbrough from slc, ut

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2002

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    one pedal has the axle drilled out the standard 1/4 inch.
the other is drilled almost an inch deep, taking it past the outside plane of the crank. supergo said most of the pedal sets are this way but they haven't heard of any breaking. why is there a difference in the two pedals? is there a problem with wellgo's quality control? i'll go ahead and use them but with reservations.....

Bottom Line:
i have looked for an address for wellgo with no luck. maybe my lawyer can find them if they break and i get hurt.

Favorite Trail:   wasatch creat

Purchased At:   supergo

Submitted by Jeff Whitmoyer a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2001

Strengths:    Weight & Price

Bottom Line:
These are a great value. Why pay more for a brandname, functionallity is the key. They are some of the lightest pedals out there. A little stiff clipping in at first but getting better as I spend more time in the saddle.

Favorite Trail:   City Park