Home | Reviews | Pedal | Wellgo

Wellgo MG-1 Mag Pedal

4.43/5 (46 Reviews)

to BMX heaven. Whether your clearing the doubles at your local dirt jumps or just looking for a stable platform for cruising around town, you'll appreciate the grippy platforms and removable traction pins of the Wellgo MG-1 magnesium platform pedals.

Submitted by Will a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2014

Strengths:    light, grippy, inexpensive

Weaknesses:    pins easily ripped out

Bottom Line:
I lent my bike to a non-riding buddy while ripping around the Whistler Valley. The cranks on it are a little long, and he was hitting the pedals on rocks, roots, and the like fairly often. When I looked at them afterwards, there were at least 4 pins ripped right out. I went home, tried to put some new ones in, but when they came out, they had stripped the threads, too.

I'm all for solid cheap pedals, and I'm okay with them getting a little banged up, but I'd want them to be able to sustain a little more. Sure, maybe it was my buddy's riding technique, but from what I could see they still should have held up to more abuse.

Good if you're in a tight financial situation, but be ready to know you'll lose some performance and have to replace again fairly soon.

Duration Product Used:   3

Purchased At:   Dunbar Cycles

Bike Setup:   Devinci Hectik/Chromag Stylus

Submitted by M Parker

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2013

Strengths:    Weight

Weaknesses:    Strength

Bottom Line:
After reading the reviews here I had some seriously high expectations of these mid level pedals. First impressions were great, weight was very light, performance was fantastic on the grip BUT today.....just a few days over 3 months of owning and being used one of the pedals separated from the spindle while out on a ride. Separated in a non-repairable fashion. When I got home I ordered a set of Straitlines like I should have to start with. At least they can be rebuilt and serviced.

Submitted by jake

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2013

Strengths:    awesome traction with my fiveten freeriders. only left the pedal when i wanted to. the pedals look thicker than they are in person. they are relatively thin. about as thick as my thumb. i struck the pedals pretty hard on the side of a rock bed and it only left some scratches in the paint

Weaknesses:    the paint is cheap but who honestly cares?

Bottom Line:
for 39.99 with free shipping i thought this was an awesome deal on amazon. keep in mind i have about 5 hours of ride time on this. 3.5 hours of rugged beat down and it worked out great. hopefully i can get a good season or 2 out of these before i get deeper into this sport. im a noob and these are a must have if youre looking for flats under 50. pick up a pair of fivetens and get these. you wont be let down

Submitted by jesse101 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2012

Strengths:    Cheap, lightweight and look nice with my all white Altitude!

Weaknesses:    If you get a pedal strike...watch out! i rode these pedals for one season, i am now missing 4 pins on each pedal..and since the pedals are magnesium, the holes were ripped out along with the pins.

Bottom Line:
Its a great pedal for light riding..but if you are doing medium to hard trails, beware, durability is an issue. Ran these pedals for a full season and i ended up ordering a set of VP1's..which arent too far off weight.

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   EBAY

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Altitude RSL70

Submitted by SgtBaxter

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2012

Strengths:    Light, inexpensive, grip like nobody's business and durable.

Weaknesses:    Paint can chip easily due to soft metal.

Bottom Line:
Received these pedals as a gift, and have loved them ever since. They weigh next to nothing and have taken some big hits without much happening to them at all, besides some scratches. I've even pulled a large rock out of the ground when the pedal bit into it on a downstroke.

Best of all you can find them online for less than $40. Best value there is!

Submitted by Michael

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2012

Strengths:    1 - Grip!
2 - Shape
3 - Price & durability

Weaknesses:    None worth mentioning

Bottom Line:
Fit: Pedals are personal, but these work great for me. I couldn't get comfortable on my 29er 'til I strapped on a set of Wellgo's magnesium marvels. My stupidly long (Euro 47) feet find the sweet spot every time, no fuss, no muss. Once there, they stick like glue thanks to those 9 sharp little shin biters.
Weight: I've been riding off-road for 20+ years, and wrenched in bicycle shops for most of those, so I've screwed a lot of pedals onto a lot of bikes. When I picked up these, they felt surprisingly light.
Price & Durability: I've never liked spending big bucks on pedals given that they spend their entire working life hanging around mud, dirt, ugly great rocks and such like. For the same reason, I didn't go for any of Wellgo's M&M colors - Basic black MG-1s don't draw undue attention when they get the inevitable scratches and dings.
Durability: Regardless of the price, the MG-1s take a beating. I can't see me wearing them out anytime soon, and any hit big enough to break 'em is likely to do damage to other bits and pieces - rider included.

Submitted by seadna

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2012

Strengths:    Grip, weight, cost, easy maintenance, longevity, slightly concave body

Weaknesses:    Not the lowest profile pedal. Sometimes seize up a bit, although that can be rectified by stripping them down and re-greasing

Bottom Line:
12,000 kilometres: still going strong.

Says it all really.

I do 10 footers on a hard tail and regularly case landings hard, also land heavily on 5-6 foot drop offs, strike rocks all the time, generally abuse these pedals, and they still function perfectly. Just lost my first pin last month, after two solid years of use. As everyone else says, you can get fancier pedals, but these just work, without needing to rob a bank if you need to replace them.

Submitted by maintainn a All Mountain Rider from asheville, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2012

Strengths:    lightweight at 376grams a set. I actually have the MG-1 Ti flavor of the pedal, which isn't listed by mtbr. They are on ebay for around $80 inc shipping. these are very light weight (280 grams a set), and are identical to the MG-1 except for instead of cro-moly spindale it's titanium. Grip well.

Weaknesses:    one extra pin or two on the inboard side would be nice.
pins all need locktite. (but most pedals do)
I would have typically thought durability might be an issue, but I haven't seen one thing to dog them here. They've seen rocks at speed many times but just scratches and scars are on them, no cracks.

Bottom Line:
Speaking of the TI version of these, these are awesome and well worth the purchase. They grip well with five-ten's. I got these pedals and then traded my 5-10 impacts for the 5-10 freeriders to get a lighter shoe and found a very noticable difference while riding.

Similar Products Used:   shimano dx-1

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse 6 point, Lyrik rc2dh, Fox DHX 5 Air, Angleset, Azonic Outlaws, Juicy 7, XT shifting hardware

Submitted by extremedave a Cross Country Rider from NJ

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2012

Strengths:    Light, good platform size, grippy.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I'm usually pretty critical but these pedals are flat awesome.
The lightest by far in this price range, reasonably low in profile and grippy as all get out. The best is the platform size, my biggest gripe with the DMR V8's was the pedal was just too small for my 5.10 Sam Hills. The Wellgos made a big difference in my last ride, previously had to carefully center my shoes on the DMR's but these you just stomp and go. Nice.

Haven't had them long enough to say how they'll hold up but you kick the crap out of pedals anyway. At $40.00 a pair, tear them up and get new as needed.
Use: Trail riding on full suspension bike, average rider.

Purchased At:   Cambriabike.com

Similar Products Used:   DMR V8.

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance X4

Submitted by 07stiltd a Weekend Warrior from Branson West, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2012

Strengths:    Extremely lightweight. The cheap composite pedals that came on my bike weigh more.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
For the money you cannot beat these pedals. Light, grippy and durable for my uses so far. What more could you ask for?

Favorite Trail:   White River Valley

Purchased At:   amazon.com

Submitted by phdinfunk a Weekend Warrior from Nantou County Taiwan

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2011

Strengths:    Wide, major grip, cheap, light, looks cool

Weaknesses:    My tech said sometimes the little cleats can break, so he gave me a box of replacements. I guess if more than a couple of them broke off, this pedal would start to behave like a slip and slide.

Bottom Line:
I didn't think pedals could make this much difference, but this has seriously improved my positive grip when riding through serious terrain or crucial situations. I pass some mean farm dogs from time to time and falling off my pedals was always a bit of a fear for me. Now I feel more confident!

It even helped my ride noticeably because these spin in the cranks better and give a more positive energy transfer than the crummy pedals that came with my bike. My tech showed me that they have actual bearings inside them. Of course, having a wider platform to stand on and the feeling that these things were digging into my shoes and not letting go forever helped my groove too. I had not expected the change in feeling that I got from these pedals. It was more dramatic than some seat changes I've done. Overall, I will never own or set up another bike without these or something similar. I need them like I need a good seat, good grips, and big bar ends.

By the way, when I went into the shop, I found these were the widest and lightest, and also the CHEAPEST of big premium pedals he had. Win, win, and win.

Favorite Trail:   Puli Backcountry Route 69

Purchased At:   Bikey's Bike Shop in

Similar Products Used:   The stock pedals that came with my last two mountain bikes.

Bike Setup:   SLX Shifting, Juicy 3 brakes, Kenda Rear and Holy Roller front tyres, Brooks Saddle, Marzocchi 44 RCI ti Suspension, Custom OEM ALU/Carbon frame by local export manufacturer.

Submitted by Chad A. a Downhiller from Bellingham, WA

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2011

Strengths:    Cheap, sturdy, grip seems great.

Weaknesses:    Seems to get a little slick when the rain starts falling, but that could be my Nike 6.0 skate shoes, so take with a grain of salt. Also, the bling factor is a bit low.

Bottom Line:
You get more than what you pay for with these. Great price point. Straitline and twenty6 pedals are sexier, but these do just fine, even after a few rock strikes. No rebuilding, I just drop some Triflow oil on the bearings here and there and spin them, and then they're smoooth again.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Fanatik Bikes Co.

Similar Products Used:   None, switched from clipless, so closest would be Crank Brothers Mallet 2.

Bike Setup:   Specialized SX Trail 2011 with Fox 180 TALAS, and Wellgo MG-1 pedals

Submitted by Keto a Weekend Warrior from South Shore Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2011

Strengths:    Wide, grippy, lightweight.

Weaknesses:    I got the red and the paint seems to chip off easily but hey it's a bike not a diamond ring

Bottom Line:
For the $ they are worlds better than the stock pedals on my Specialized bike and I love them.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Hills

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   trail

Submitted by bennyt223 a Cross Country Rider from Cold Spring, Ny, Putnam

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2011

Strengths:    Great Durabilty, Wide Platform, Glues to your feet, Strong material, cool colors

Weaknesses:    colors chip away easily

Bottom Line:
These pedals are awesome! They glue to your feet and are the absolute best platform pedals on the market. You can get them for cheap off ebay and come in many cool colors. If you are looking for some pedals to do everything in and one that are super grippy, these are the ones.

Favorite Trail:   Stewart Buffer zone