Home | Reviews | Pedal | Wellgo

Wellgo M727 Clipless MTB Pedal

Hi-performance mountain bike clipless pedals at a great price! Forged & polished alloy pedal bodies support dual-sided, dual-articulating jaw mechanisms and the open, mud-shedding design helps keep the performance level up in even the worst conditions. Cromoly spindles spin on sealed cartridge bearings.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Oak Park, CA

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2003

Strengths:    None that I can detect.

Weaknesses:    Very, very difficult to clip into. It takes a tremendous amount of downward force before you hear that click. Getting out is worse. There's plenty of float, which is OK but when you push past the float you hear a distinct click. This disengages the rear of the cleat, but the front of the cleat is still wedged in the pedal. You have to wiggle your feet and move then pretty close to perpendicular to the frame. There's NO WAY I would ride with these pedals. I just bought them and I'm returning them. I would alternate between my son's bike that I installed the Wellgos on and my bike, which has Shimano 545s, just to make sure it wasn't my cleat or me or my shoe. Now to be completely honest, my shoes have the Shimano cleats, not the ones that came with the Wellgos. I never actually tried these pedals with the cleats they came with, but I've hopped on lots of other bikes with lots of non-Shimano SPDs and never had a problem like I'm having with these Wellgos.

Bottom Line:
If the manufacturer claims their pedals are SPD compatible, then you'd better be able to click in and out easily with SPD cleats without having to bear down on the padals or getting hung up on God knows what when trying to get out.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Wellgo BMX SPDs (don't recall the model), Shimano.

Bike Setup:   MTB

Submitted by J a Cross Country Rider from tx

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2003

Strengths:    cheap, light, easy clip in/out

Weaknesses:    durability

Bottom Line:
these pedals work awesome. very easy and predictable clipping in and out. they are approx 40 g lighter than shimano 959 and approx $65 cheaper. only problem with these pedals is they cant take a beating. bash a few rocks/logs/roots while pedaling and the casing will break. its some kind of plastic or super super thin cro moly. other than that they work great.

Purchased At:   supergo