Home | Reviews | Pedal | Wellgo

• Bearing: Ball bearing
  • Cleat: 98A or Shimano 51 compatible

Submitted by Farmer Ted

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2012

Strengths:    light weight, low price, work great and you won't care if you break one on a rock since they're so cheap

Weaknesses:    spindle bearings wearing out at around 1000 miles

Bottom Line:
I won't buy expensive pedals anymore because they all get broken on rocks eventually...especially since I live in the Rocky Mountians (they really are rocky). These Wellgo pedals are a fraction of the cost of Shimano XT or XTR pedals, work just as well, and you won't care if you break one because you can buy a new pair for $35.00. I have one set of XTR pedals left on one of my bikes and I can't tell the difference between those pedals and these ones.

The only problem I've had with these are that the inner bearing has started to develop play in the 2 pairs that I have (on different bikes) at around the 1000 mile mark but that's 1000 miles of really hard off road riding. I suppose you could rebuild them but I'll probably just replace them. Even if you went through a pair of these a year, you'd still take 5 or so years to equal the price of a set of XTR pedals and even those wouldn't last that long around these parts. The other good news: these weight the same as XTR and also are compatible withthe Shimano SH-51 cleat so if you're coming from Shimano pedals, you don't even have to change the cleats in your shoes. Perfect.

Submitted by Pat Harn a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2009

Strengths:    reasonable price

Bottom Line:
Had to loose my egg beaters because of knee problems. With 94's I have more cleat adjustment. They work well in all conditions.

Favorite Trail:   Black Mountain/Ramona