Home | Reviews | Pedal | Wellgo

Wellgo 801 Clipless MTB Pedal

2.82/5 (17 Reviews)

Submitted by UltraSpoke a Weekend Warrior from Alexandria, VA

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2008

Strengths:    Inexpensive - and once you feel / use them, you'll know why.

Weaknesses:    Difficult to lock in. OK release.

Bottom Line:
My Rush is stock and the Wellgo Pedals come with the bike as standard equipment. Cannondale needs to drop this pedal from its line. With so many other good pedals out there (Crank Brothers Candys or Speedplay X2/Zero) there are better alternatives.

I would not own a pair had not been included with the purchase.

Favorite Trail:   South Run Power Lines

Purchased At:   Washington Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Speedplay X2, CB Egg Beaters

Bike Setup:   2008 Cannondale Rush 5Z

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2007

Strengths:    Very Tough. Good Price.

Bottom Line:
I used this pedal for 7 years and rode weekly. After about 4 years I had to pull the axle out and grease it but then it was good as new. Finally at the end of the 7th season the rear claws broke on both sides of the pedal. This pedal exceeded my expectations and lasted about 4 times longer than I thought it would. I put it through very rough conditions, the metal casting was wore down a lot from smashing on rocks and still the cleat part held up extremely well. I would recommend it to anyone.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano clipless in same price range.

Bike Setup:   This pedal outlasted my devinci magma and my norco atomic.

Submitted by Matthew a Cross Country Rider from Columbia, SC, USA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2006

Strengths:    Over 5k miles, and 6 years of use and still going strong with no problems.

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
This was my first set of clipless pedals, and I havent had to buy a new set since. Although most of the paint is worn off, they still work perfectly. I am a very neglectful person to my pedals, never lubing them.
They will take a bit of adjusting at first but once it is right you will never have to change the tightness again.

I am serious, I bought these in 98 or 99, gone through 2 bikes and 3 pairs of shoes (only because my feet got bigger) and have never had problems other than rocks sticking in my shoe and keeping me from clipping in.

I would recommend these to anybody who cares about durability rather than weight.

Favorite Trail:   Bad Simba, or Double Black, Breckenridge, CA

Purchased At:   Harrells Bike Shop Cola, sc

Similar Products Used:   Shimano xtr

Bike Setup:   2001 big sur hardtail

Submitted by Robert Farr a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX,, USA

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2005

Strengths:    Inexpensive

Weaknesses:    Unpredictable release!!
No release!!

Bottom Line:
A perfectly acceptable pedal for low-key MTB cruising, but for more spirited and technical challenges these things are lame.

And they cost me my confidence. They released when I was just riding along -- nevermind when I needed them to be there for a quick honk up a hill. AND they often failed to release when I was tetering on the brink of a steep rock that I knew required me to dab. I've taken too many tumbles because I couldn't get a foot out of these darned things. Anybody want some pedals cheap?

Favorite Trail:   Muleshoe

Similar Products Used:   Suntour, Ritchey, Eggbeaters

Bike Setup:   Ancient Cannondale M-2000, Hardtail with Front Susp

Submitted by Joshua a Cross Country Rider from Davis, CA

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2005

Strengths:    Cheap, light, work well

Weaknesses:    not great in mud

Bottom Line:
By far the cheapest product on my bike. They have given me no problems. I routinely bank them off of rocks without incident (at least not to the pedal). They are a little tough to get out of in the mud but if I remember to hit them with a little White Lightning before the ride all is good. I just don't want to drop over 100 bucks on something that hits rocks all day. Buy them if you are comfortable clipping out and like a good deal.

Favorite Trail:   Hole in the Ground

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 535

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur. xtr cranks,xtr fr derail., sram x9 shifters and rear derail, spinergy wheels, fox float fork

Submitted by PJM a Cross Country Rider from Park City,UT

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2005

Strengths:    Cheap China product which actually works
for the cheap cyclist..

Weaknesses:    Retaining clips on rear of pedal retention system
will break off on big rocks...If you have pedal
hitting rocks trouble, don't expect them to last.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line...If you are just getting started with
clipless, or if you refuse to pay $100 for pedals you smash the crap outa, buy them!
I had no problems getting in or out like some
of the unfair reviews state, and I must admit I have been through a few pair, but at $30, it is ok, because you have spare parts when you bust another clip "wing" on another rock.
Not that great for wet or muddy conditions, get eggbeaters/times if you ride wet/mud.!!

Note: I also picked up the wam717 stainless body shimano
knockoffs, and even thought the cleat is shimano-like
in design, the new minimalist design eliminated the
potential of busted wings,(on the old 801's).
IN my opinion, these are very light, better at mudshedding, and all for around $35 from CBO. Just don't
get the ALLOY body ones. The cleat stops busted off,
but this is not possible on the stainless body ones. ..rideon!!.

Purchased At:   mult

Similar Products Used:   Shimano/bontrager/supergo (same Wellgo pedal)

Bike Setup:   XC fs setup

Submitted by NutsandBolts a Cross Country Rider from Saginaw,Tx,USA

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2005

Strengths:    They are cheap, and thats not just the price.

Weaknesses:    The stinkin cleats that come with the pedals.

Bottom Line:
I bought these pedals because I needed some red ones to go with the theme of my bike. I saw these and figured I would try them out. When I got them and took them out of the box I noticed right away from just holding them the quality was not on par with the Shimano's I use. I set up and used the provided cleats. It felt like I had never used clipless pedals, they would not release, it was a hassle getting locked in. I almost bite it before I got to the end of the driveway. I then put on a pair of old shoes that I had that had old shimano cleats on them. These actually worked with these pedals. It was easier to clip in and getting out of them was no problem. I compared the cleats and noted the shimanos were a little different, but they worked. Anyway I took em off the bike and put a pair of Shimanos on it. They are black, but they work. If anybody has these pedals try a pair of shimano cleats(I dont know which model)it may make using them a little more tolerable. Good luck and rock on.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere there is dirt

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Shimano,Kore,Look

Bike Setup:   1 hardtail,1 freeride,2 full suspension

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Boring, Or

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2004

Strengths:    cheap

Weaknesses:    i dont ride very much, so for starting on clipless, i thought 30 bucks was a good deal to see how it went. do not get these pedals, the release is horrible, front of cleat sticks, and you have to twist so far, the cleat has a tendancy to twist in its shoe mount. however, that is not the worst of it. i've probably put a total of 40 miles on these pedals, and in one stupid fall over wreck where i was trying to get out quickly, the front of on of the clips breaks off, killing the rest of the ride. you get what you pay for, get better than this.

Bottom Line:
dont get these pedals, spend the extra cast and get a decent pair.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Submitted by Christian a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2003

Strengths:    Price. Light weight. Fairly easy to get in and out.

Weaknesses:    Performance in the mud.

Bottom Line:
Best pedals out there for the price. They don't work nearly as well as my egg beaters, but they were $70 cheaper. Considering the price, they work well and mine were very durable. Just be careful on rainy days. These pedals don't like mud.

Similar Products Used:   Shimanos and Egg Beaters

Bike Setup:   Superlight, XT, Fox

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from South Bethlehem

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2003

Strengths:    Price.

Weaknesses:    Not user friendly. There is no reference point to ensure that you can clip in and out quickly. This makes getting going quickly very difficult.

Bottom Line:
I bought these pedals so that I could save some money and use the same shoes and pedals for my road and mountainbike. Unfortunately it was a bad decision. The price was right, but that was about it. I love the Sidi shoes, but hate these pedals. It's difficult to get clipped in quickly. I have had two bad experiences where I thought I was unclipped but actually wasn't when I wanted to stop...These things are dangerous. I should have gone with the Look pedals I was looking at. In all fairness, once you get going these pedals are fairly responsive.

Purchased At:   Steiner Sports

Bike Setup:   Specialized Allez Comp.

Submitted by Danny DeLozier a Cross Country Rider from Duncan, OK

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2003

Strengths:    Wellgo SPD 813 - None

Weaknesses:    Rear clip retainer has broke on both sides of my left pedal.
You can find parts anywhere to try and repair the part.
Looks like it is a weak or bad piece in the design.

Bottom Line:
Stay away from them . It isn't any fun when you break these pieces out on a ride and you have to limp home. Nobody needs a part that breaks .No matter the cost. They should build them bulletproof.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Humphrey

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Nashbar, Ascent , Look

Bike Setup:   Mtn. Bike hardtail cross country

Submitted by Steve Smith from Austin, TX USA

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2002

Strengths:    easy in and easy out. The adjustments worked well for me.

Weaknesses:    when mud fill them, I can't get in.

Bottom Line:
They work well for me. I recomend these for someone trying to get used to clipless. They are affordable and work well.
HOWEVER: I would not buy them from SUPERGO. They post one thing and do another. Bad costumer service for me anyway. Too many other online bike shops out there to put up with that. Good product at a good price if you don't live to play in the mud.

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   Chineese foot trap by KORE (g.a.s.s. pedal)

Bike Setup:   XT, LX, Rock shox Judy sl air assits, race face, on a schwinn frame

Submitted by leo LA biker guy from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap
same quality as shimano
reliable

Weaknesses:    little heavy(but then again would you rather be riding your stock platform pedals?)

Bottom Line:
For $30.00 this is a good starter set.My bike came with the shimano's that were platform and clipless and it sucks. It took me some guts and some time to really fully understand how they work. I used to bink so many times when I was beginning with these pedals. But , now I get in and out instantly. I give it 5 chilis for value and reliabilty

Favorite Trail:   sylmar hills(behind my in-laws house)