Truvativ Holzfeller Pedal

2.96/5 (28 Reviews)

New for 2003 a concave platform pedal with the lowest profile for efficient pedaling and superior grip. An oversized CrMo axle rolls on large, fully serviceable sealed bearings. All spikes are accessible from behind for easy removal and replacement. Black 590g

Submitted by mudhen

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2012

Strengths:    No problems after using them for many months. Seem to work perfectly for me.

Weaknesses:    None so far...

Bottom Line:
These pedals are working great with at least 300 miles on them!

Submitted by Billy

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2012

Strengths:    the looks add a lot to your bike and there extremely grippy. there super light super grippy and super sick looking.

Weaknesses:    DANGEROUS. great if you dont mind the ER

Bottom Line:
These pedals will not allow you to slip off and the weight and looks are trick. The only problem is that they are razors in the event of a crash. Since shin guards can be a bit of a pain there is a tradeoff with these. I used an industrial file to shorten and dull down the pins and they still work great, I highly recommend them!!

Submitted by Brian

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    The pedals have long aggressive pins which provide good traction especially in wet or muddy conditions.

Weaknesses:    The pedal bearing aren't user servicable and the pedal bearings are of very low quality and will fail requiring you to send them to SRAM for service. Good luck with the SRAM Service Dept :-( hope your neck isn't to cramped up after hours on hold.

Bottom Line:
I would strongly recommend against purchasing these pedals. You will first be disappointed by how quickly the bearings will fail and then tormented by SRAM's service dept. while you wait on hold for hours.

Submitted by snowpunk a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2011

Strengths:    Right out of the box the pins on the pedals looked intimidating. They grip great though. Its only the second pair of platforms I've used but it's new to me to actually have to pick your foot off of the pedal to re position your foot

Weaknesses:    none I've encountered so far

Bottom Line:
Very happy with them after about 15 rides. Only nailed my calf with them once. Wrap around shin guards are recommended.

Favorite Trail:   Washington [WA]

Purchased At:   Chainlove

Similar Products Used:   Cheap redline platrorms to try them out, Candy c clipless

Bike Setup:   07 MKIII

Submitted by mag0121 a Weekend Warrior from Encinitas

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2011

Strengths:    Grip, grip, grip. Solid internals and chassis. Smooth as silk spinning. Aesthetics (white ones are cool, though almost too blingy).

Weaknesses:    Grip, sort of an unfair comment, but true to an extent. Making the switch after years of clipless for all mountain riding, it took some time to get used to picking up my foot and getting it positioned correctly when it was seated wrongly on the pedals. After getting used to the lack of 'slide," the grip is a good thing.

Bottom Line:
Grippy muthas. Solid, good looking, good functioning platforms. Love up going up and coming down.

Favorite Trail:   local

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   DX, Wellgo

Bike Setup:   Enduro Carbon Pro

Submitted by rc95066 a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz, Ca, US

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2010

Strengths:    Works very well when I have my Vans on. No slip or grinding. I like the pin size for the terrain I ride. I had a set of Kona platforms but my riding partner is using them and I needed a new set. Very versital next to clips and perform as well for me...

Weaknesses:    They were a bit heavier than the Kona's were.

Bottom Line:
I like the functionality and versitilty of platform/flat pedals. These are exactly what I want from a flat pedal.

Favorite Trail:   Lost Creek Green Belt Austin.TX

Purchased At:   ATX Bikes, Austin, T

Similar Products Used:   Kona platform, SPD's, Time Atac XS Carbon, 80's style Cages

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Stump Jumper

Submitted by el_toro a Weekend Warrior from United States

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2009

Strengths:    Strong and fairly light weight for platforms. The biggest strength is that they attach via a hex wrench through the back side of the crank. Makes installing and removing them a breeze.

Weaknesses:    The grip pins are WAY to long! Some people may call this a strength, but IMHO it's a weakness. They are long, narrow, and will turn your shins into hamburger if you're not careful. Fortunately you can replace the pins with shorter M3 socket head screws, which I will be doing in short order.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is that they are a very nice set of pedals that you won't feel comfortable riding without shin guards. The pedal pins are just to long. It would be great if Truvativ would include a few sets of different length pins with these pedals. These pedals aren't cheap and for the price you pay, extra pins/socket head screws would barely effect their bottom line. They get a middle rating for being a dangerous product due to the pins, but would get 5 chilis if they came with shorter ones.

Favorite Trail:   To many to list

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Kona Jacksh1ts & Eastern BMX alloy pedals

Bike Setup:   Surly Instigator set up for Urban/dirt track use.

Submitted by Surfjunkie44 a Downhiller from Orlando, FL US

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2008

Strengths:    Pegs will make you scream for mercy, but you'll never lose grip, even in wet conditions. Bomb proof pedal, beat the sh*t out of it and it won't break.

Weaknesses:    Cartridge bearing isn't a smooth spinner but perhaps that is for the best. They will eat your legs for breakfast if you slip and your shoe soles if you don't slip. Maybe a bit pricey...

Bottom Line:
I have a 2008 model and the pegs are more than apt to give you a great day of grip and a bad day skin loss if you actually lose a pedal. That has happened to me twice in six months of daily (I repeat, daily) 20 mile hikes with them. Older models may have blew but the new ones are bad boy toys.

Favorite Trail:   Ocala

Purchased At:   Retro City Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Some BMX platform that froze on me in two weeks.

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche 1.0 with some goodies.

Submitted by Terrence McAleer a Cross Country Rider from Philthydelphia,PA.,U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2008

Strengths:    I weigh 300 lbs and I ride like some guys half my weight and these pedals wont give up

Weaknesses:    I can't find any other than they could be about an inch and a half wider,I wear size 14eeee shoes and would appriciate these pedals wider.

Bottom Line:
very durable item with room for improvement

Favorite Trail:   too many to list

Purchased At:   Blienky cycle werks

Similar Products Used:   old school ratrap w/toeclips

Bike Setup:   hybrid 29er

Submitted by Wade Hoskins a Downhiller from Olympia

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2007

Strengths:    Super strong, Spikes stick to shoes in any terrain. Look great.

Weaknesses:    Bearings needed to be replaced after a year of abuse.

Bottom Line:
Alot of people talk sh#t about these pedals, and I understand some of the complaints. After the bearings turned to dust, I simply sent them back to truvativ and they sent me back a brand new pair. Honoring the warrenty. Gotta love it. I paid 80 bucks and will never have to buy another pedal again. For this you all five flaming chillies or turds depending how you look at it.

Favorite Trail:   not telling

Purchased At:   The Peak

Similar Products Used:   any platform pedal

Bike Setup:   KHS FR2000, Romic, Dropoff, Avid, Shimano, etc.

Submitted by Brett a Downhiller from State College, PA USA

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2007

Strengths:    Can take a beating

Weaknesses:    Extremely slippery when wet, these pedals are even slick when they are dry. The pins are way too small and ripped up the sole of my shoe.

Bottom Line:
These pedals are tough but I would never buy them. The small pin size makes them so slick even though I tried a few different shoes. Spend your money on some Stepdown's from Transition: www.transitionbikes.com

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   the two best pedals out there: Transition Stepdown and Specialized Mag 2

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2006

Strengths:    Look sexy, nice low profile & light.

Weaknesses:    Slippery when wet & muddy.Unable to get longer pins.

Bottom Line:
Although these pedals look damn good, they are not that flash when wet & muddy, quite slippery. I tried different shoes & made no difference. They are advertised as having replacable pins but you can't get longer ones. The pins are smaller than the little grub screws most others use.

Similar Products Used:   Snafu, Keywyn & Shimano

Bike Setup:   Kona Dawg deluxe

Submitted by Kyle from Wausau, Wis, U.S.

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2006

Strengths:    good pedal, I actually stoped the creaky bearing, by doing big drops the flat bottom,

Weaknesses:    none they work, or atleas for a low, they are difficult to rebuild

Bottom Line:
buy them if you have the strength to beat them, these pedals take pain for pleasure.

Purchased At:   Quality Bicycle Components (QBC)