Transition Bikes Stepdown Pedal

• Replaceable Pins
  • Custom CNC'd body

Submitted by Casey

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2013

Strengths:    Large Platform

Weaknesses:    Spikes almost impossible to replace. Heavy. Poor quality bearings.

Bottom Line:
These were a Christmas gift of '12 and the left pedal bearing failed 9 months later. They never loosened up and spun freely. I called them and they told me they would eventually. I thought they were a good pedal from all the good reviews. I had some $15 plastic pedals that lasted about 2k miles longer than these and I beat them to death. I would not recommend these. Believe me, you do not need a pedal fly off on a quick down hill, race or miles from home. Not worth the money.

Submitted by Bemiller

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2013

Strengths:    Lightweight, aesthetic, grippy, wide, inexpensive

Bottom Line:
I've had these pedals on 3 different bikes with more intensive riding with each bike. I have never had an issue with these. I wear them w/ 5.10 Freerider pros and my feet are glued to the pedals, to shift I actually have to lift my foot because they are so firmly planted. I highly recommend these pedals.

Submitted by modelo151 a Downhiller from milton

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2011

Strengths:    Awesome pedals, no issues with bearings after three years. Will purchase again for sure.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
good pedals for the money. Not good if the pedal falls off like the review below me.Overall I think they are great!

Favorite Trail:   kelso

Similar Products Used:   Kona jacksh*t, crapbrothers 5050, wellgos

Bike Setup:   transition bottlerocket

Submitted by Hangtime a Weekend Warrior from Portland, Or

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2010

Strengths:    Product Update from JOHN below.

Bottom Line:
These are still going strong after a couple of wet PNW winters. I'm now putting a pair on my wife's bike and a third pair on my FR/DH bike. Great quality..

Purchased At:   Ride-This

Similar Products Used:   50/50XX

Bike Setup:   Turner five spot and Turne Highline

Submitted by DHR Pinner a Downhiller from North Bend, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2009

Strengths:    Fairly large platform. Good looks.

Weaknesses:    Pedal fell off on day 3 in Whistler. Not fun. Pedal fell off the spindle. I am guessing the bearing seized and striped off the spindle threads. I have no use for pedal that fall off! Hopefully Transition will give me a new pair to sell on ebay and I will go get another set of Kona Wah Wah's.

Bottom Line:
Not happy...I want to try them again if I get a new set, but am a little afraid of the quality...

Favorite Trail:   Angry Pirate

Purchased At:   Beyone Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Kona, Sunline, Welgo

Bike Setup:   Turner DHR, Boxxer Team and sweet stuff

Submitted by Freeride_Rayward a Downhiller from Tassmania, Australia

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2009

Strengths:    What a sick pedal! Big platform, excellent pin placement, sick colors (I got the gold), and all at a mad low price. I fitted mine with 8mm long pins (muahaha) and have never remembered slipping off. Combined with 510's, the grip is near clip ins...

Weaknesses:    Bit heavy, could be tighter on the axle.

Bottom Line:
Mad pedal for the price. Run with long pins and you get the best grip around!

Favorite Trail:   Lea

Purchased At:   TBSM

Similar Products Used:   Felt branded pedals (great but upgraded to stepdowns)

Bike Setup:   07' Felt Straight Shot, 36's, 32" bars, Evolve, Transition, Juicy 7's, ODI, Hope, Atomlab...

Submitted by andykrow a Downhiller from Northern Co

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2009

Strengths:    Weight, looks, strength, grip, thin profile, wide platform

Weaknesses:    pins are sort of short, anodizing wears quickly

Bottom Line:
I can't imagine buying another pedal after buying these. One year of riding them really hard and they still spin great, have no play whatsoever, and no metal chunks coming off either. And I've bashed them pretty hard. They're really much thinner than most other pedals out there too. They look expensive too... I can't imagine why anyone would buy pedals that cost 2-3x as much when these are out there.

Couple things that might bug people: First, the anodizing wears quickly. When I first got these I did about a week of really muddy riding (gritty colorado mud...) and the anodizing began to wear through and show some fading in spots. I think it looks cool but it might bother some people. Second, the pins they came with weren't quite as long as I wanted, especially in the mud. It was easy enough to fix though - I just picked up "grub" screws at the hardware store that were the length I wanted. (metric grub screws or set screws, I think m3 size but I don't remember anymore) Voila! Possibly more grip than I need...

Favorite Trail:   Porc Rim

Purchased At:   The Fix in Boulder

Similar Products Used:   sheesh...too many!

Bike Setup:   Brodie thumper, 66, dhx5.0, ex729, other heavy things

Submitted by tombo615 a Weekend Warrior from NY

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2008

Strengths:    Lite, good looking, strong, excellent pin placement, durability, cost in comparison to similar platform pedals

Weaknesses:    none that i know of yet

Bottom Line:
After riding a few pretty hairy downhill trails I decieded to ditch the clipless and go pack to platforms. I was skeptical of how good these pedals could be in comparison to way more expensive pedals, but they really are awesome. Use them with a good set of grippy shoes like 5.10 high impacts and your feet are NOT leaving the pedals. If you place your foot on the pedals wrong you have to lift your foot back up because there is absolutely no sliding with these bad boys. Overall excellent product for the money, I'd recommend them for anyone who wants an inexpensive set of great pedals.

Favorite Trail:   Stillwell

Purchased At:   Mail order

Similar Products Used:   crank brothers 5050xx

Bike Setup:   Marin bobcat trail, stock with tbc pedals

Submitted by bitflogger a Weekend Warrior from Trailsville, WI

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2008

Strengths:    Really good shape and pin placement, wide for your feet and narrow top to bottom.

Weaknesses:    None that I am aware of.

Bottom Line:
These are great pedals with better strength and feel than my light weight magnesium Wellgos. My dealings with the company have been great and I'd suggest looking into their products just becaue of that.

Favorite Trail:   BMSP

Similar Products Used:   Many.

Bike Setup:   Transition Covert, Spec. Enduro.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2007

Strengths:    Grip, even when covered in mud, Wide platform and sealed bearings.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Great pedal for the $$. They have a great feel with a wide platform and tons of grip. Peg position is spot on and the strength of the pedal is second to none. Much better grip than my Kona pedals.

Favorite Trail:   Black Rock Bonzai DH

Purchased At:   Ride This

Similar Products Used:   Kona Jack Sh!t

Bike Setup:   Turner 5 Spot

Submitted by Gregory a Downhiller from Norway

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2006

Strengths:    Very wide and solid, excellent grip, price, weight

Weaknesses:    You get addicted to this pedals

Bottom Line:
Must be the best pedals on the marked. I dont`t have to worry about my feet any more, they never slip off. Again Transition Bikes proved that they made quality products with reasonable prices

Purchased At:   TBC dealer in Norway

Similar Products Used:   Azonic A-frame

Bike Setup:   Transition DirtBag 06, DHX 5.0 coil, Marzocchi 66RC, Mavic Deemax, Diabolus setup, Formula ORO K24 DH brakes, Shimano Saint derailleur, Gazzaloddis

Submitted by Joel Yang a Downhiller from Issaquah, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2006

Strengths:    Width = Extra stability & torque
Sealed Bearings
Price
Weight
No Glam - just a solid pedal that can take a beating

Weaknesses:    You will start to not like other pedals after riding with these ones!

Bottom Line:
These are super Killer pedals - especially if you have wide feet or are constantly bashing the crank arms with your ankles. Even those with un-wide feet will notice the difference!
They give you excellent grip, wicked torque for switchbacks at speed - because of the added width, and are a wicked price.
Strength to weight to price ratio is awesome - can't beat what you are getting for $59 - sealed bearings too!

Favorite Trail:   No Joke - whistler