Home | Reviews | Pedal | Tioga

Tioga Surefoot MXPRO Platform Pedal

4.67/5 (27 Reviews)

Full CNC Machined Alloy Body. CNC machining keeps weight down but maintains strength and durability. 32 Adjustable/Removable Pins. Adjust the pins for your shoes and riding style. Low Profile Design. Enables riders to really lean into those turns! Cartridge Bearings= Long life and durability. Matte black. 460g

Submitted by Beth Hamon

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2012

Strengths:    Big, flat platform for almost any shoe. Tough, lightweight for the size and shape, long replacement pins are grippy and can be had at a hardware store. Sealed bearings are dreamy-smooth.

Weaknesses:    Getting very hard to find!

Bottom Line:
Stop looking! This is THE pedal.

Submitted by Ryan a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    Super grippy, not too heavy considering...

Weaknesses:    They are hard to get anymore, and when I found them they were pretty $$$

Bottom Line:
I have been using the same set of these pedals for about 4 years, I frickin' love these things. They have been on about 5 different bikes, and have been to Whistler, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, California... These are the best pedals EVER. If you are worried about weight, then why are you reading this? Plus, you can buy replacement pins at Home Depot. They are like a combination between Fergie & Jesus.

Favorite Trail:   Dirt Merchant

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Nickel

Submitted by genny1 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2011

Strengths:    These are excellent, strong pedals with good concave platform. Pins plus pair of FiveTens are very grippy indeed. Pedals spin well. As far as profile and weight, they are not either the thinnest or lightest (460 grams/pair), but for those not needing to worry about an extra 100 grams and who want a very durable, high performing pedal all for $60, this is a really good choice.

Weaknesses:    None really. Are not thinnest and lightest, but not designed to be. Among comparables, they would be tough to beat.

Bottom Line:
A great pedal choice for those looking for a durable, grippy, well-designed pedal.

Purchased At:   Outside Outfitters (

Submitted by amirh1 a Weekend Warrior from Sunnyvale, CA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2010

Strengths:    high pins, low profile, sturdy, great bearings, lightweight, lots of pin placement options

Weaknesses:    absolutely none!!

Bottom Line:
stop reading these reviews, it's all good, just buy them and go out and ride!

Seriously - what more could you ask for? What are you looking for in a pedal that these don't have (except maybe the bling factor)?

Similar Products Used:   all kind of crap

Submitted by marki3boy a Weekend Warrior from Wales

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2009

Strengths:    Large, grippy, smooth, great value for money

Weaknesses:    Slightly heavier than V8s

Bottom Line:
These were recommended to me by Simon at Wheelies, these pedals are amazing value for money, in the UK they retail for £40!

They are very strong, I caught a pedal on a rock on a fast descent, the crank arm bent, the pedal was undamaged, I put it in my backpack and had to ride a 2 mile downhill one-footed.

After a year the bearings are still smooth, and just one pin needs replacing (now where did I put those spare pins?).

Favorite Trail:   Jetlag / Whites / Gorlech / Clyne

Purchased At:   Wheelies, Swansea

Similar Products Used:   A number of DX knock offs, V8s.

Submitted by Keith a Weekend Warrior from Wilmington, NC, US

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2008

Strengths:    They are scary grippy. I thought I might hurt my knee the first time I rode them because I twisted my leg and my foot did not budge. That is good as long as I don't hurt my knee. They are also large which is good if you have big feet. Once your feet are placed they are not going anywhere.

Weaknesses:    I hate paying a lot for platform pedals. No other weaknesses so far, except for the fear of getting a pin stuck in my shin bone

Bottom Line:
The grip is ridiculous. If you want a pedal with good grip you cant go wrong with these. Other bloggers said opposing things about durability I have not had them long enough to tell but every company has a product fail every know and again. If you are not sure what pedal to buy, buy these. If you want something with an insane amount of grip buy these.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   GT. Tried Crank Bros. Specialized garbage platforms that should be an embarrassment to put on a 1300 dollar bike, they put better pedals on BMX bikes in Walmart, Various others.

Bike Setup:   Specialized P. All Mountain

Submitted by Redman a Weekend Warrior from Westfield, MA

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2007

Strengths:    Sweet concave, holds foot well

Bottom Line:
I ride these pedals on the bike I have my son's child seat on. I was a bit sketched out about using clipless in case I couldn't release. Anyway, I tried Crank Bros 50/50's but my feet came off all the time. Mind you I wear old school Vans skate shoes on this bike and if pedals won't grip those shoes the ought to be melted down for scrap. I tried these Tioga's and couldn't be happier. Great concave that holds the balls of my feet and beefy pins keep 'em in place. You probably won't find a better flat!

Similar Products Used:   Crank Bros 50/50

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Teocali Comp w/kid's seat

Submitted by Alex a Downhiller from Geneva

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2006

Strengths:    Estremely Grippy, very light, good look, alot of pin placements.

Weaknesses:    Hard to get smashed pins out, backpedals are unforgiving.

Bottom Line:
These pedals are very good compared to other pedals of the same price. I think they are equal if not much better than the famous crankbrothers 50/50 pedals.
There is no chance your feet will patter of of the pedals if going over roots or rough terrain.
You will gain precious gramms thanks to their light weight
On the other hand, they can be painful in case of backpedals (sharp long pins).
I seriously recommend this product to anyone doing Street/dirt/downhill/freeride or even XC.

Favorite Trail:   St Cergue and Les Gets

Submitted by Ned a Downhiller from Greeley

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2006

Strengths:    Everything. Super good traction, smooth spinning. Bombproof.

Weaknesses:    Pins are a real pain to get out once you've smashed them in on rocks

Bottom Line:
Best flat pedals ever. I've had these for a little over 3 years, and four bikes. They simply work. I've smashed into countless rocks and stumps and they keep going. I've never had to replace any bearings and aside from replacing pins they have been maintnence free. If you want a flat pedal that works, this is it.

Favorite Trail:   Telluride

Purchased At:   LBC

Similar Products Used:   Crupi, DX

Bike Setup:   Giant DH, Shiver. Azonic Steehead

Submitted by issmo a Weekend Warrior from KL, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2006

Strengths:    High pins with slight platform curve produces awesome grip. Sealed bearings gives smooth rotation. One of the lighter robust platforms i've used. Looks pretty too. So far, mud doesnt stick in chunks.

Weaknesses:    Pins not well grooved to a particular allen key size, had to twist them in with pliers. better to add some thread glue to make sure pins stay on.

Bottom Line:
Great for freeriders. XC and All Mountain - if you dont want clipless, this is it. Much much better than beartraps but watch the shins (as with all platforms). Only drawback is the price, a little dear but other than that, this is the best platforms i've tried so far.

Favorite Trail:   Kiara Hills

Similar Products Used:   Standard bear traps, Odyssey, Truativ.

Bike Setup:   Haro XO '01, R-Shox f & r/sus, LX/XT drivetrain, sram shifters, avid levers & discs, easton stem, bar & post, fizik seat, panaracer tyres.

Submitted by ezweave a Downhiller from Colorado

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2006

Strengths:    Sealed bearings, GRIPPY, pretty light.

Weaknesses:    Durability might be an issue, but the only pedal problems I usually have are ripped pins (I don't hit alot of stuff). I wish they had a little more concave.

Bottom Line:
I decided it was time to ride some "all mountain" type trails. The bike is fairly new, but I didn't want to take it home with the stock (sucky) pedals (I have had them before). So I got these swapped at the shop (no skinned knuckles). I only ride clipless on my road bike, so I wasn't about to go that route.

I am writing this up because next to some BMW Shinburgers that I tried on another dude's bike these have the best grip out of any pedal I have used. The grip almost makes up for the little to no concave the pedals have (concave is important for grip). I am going to give them a season of riding and see if I should put them on my DH bike (many ripped pins). I think you can get them much cheaper at Jenson or somewhere else, but I got a discount on the whole deal.

Favorite Trail:   Jones DH

Purchased At:   Bicycle Village

Similar Products Used:   SNAFU sealed platforms, Haro sealed platforms (a little like Zuzu's), Specialized non-sealed platforms, Haro non-sealed mag platforms.

Bike Setup:   This one is a 05 Spec Rockhopper Pro All Mountain (Drop-off, truvativ bits, single track rims).

Submitted by Lars from CA

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2005

Strengths:    Grippy as he11! When you hit a rock w/ them their shape lets the slid up and over - I really appreciate this! Great width. Light wieght for such a beefy pedal.

Weaknesses:    Expensive!

I have NOT had any problems with anything on these pedals.

Bottom Line:
The best platforms I've ever used. Perfect in many ways.

I weigh about 165. Some of the bigger guys I ride with, who really thrash on DH / FR stuff on 45-50 lb bikes, might bend them??? Don't know, but they break everything unless it's solid steel.

For me these are the best ever.

Vale of only 4 because pedals shouldn't cost so much. But all good pedals are in the $100 range now.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   So many!

Submitted by Dave from Vancouver BC

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2004

Strengths:    Looks great and reasonably durable. Pins come with loctite. Can customize pin formation. Grippy!

Weaknesses:    Like all pedals, unfortunately, it's not indestructable. Difficult to service? I could not get a standard socket wrench to reach the axle.

Bottom Line:
Used these for 15 months of moderate freeriding on the North Shore before I bent an axle. Still works with a bent axle but I wanted new pedals anyway.

Pretty much problem free for those 15 months, I only lost 2-3 pins, and never had to service the bearings/bushings. I wouldn't really call this pedal low profile - pretty much the same profile as the wellgo/weyless pedals that sell for 25$.

Submitted by Regan a Weekend Warrior from Newcastle NSW Australia

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2004

Strengths:    Very grippy, nice feel under foot, thin profile

Weaknesses:    None so far....

Bottom Line:
These are by far the best flat peddles I have ever used. I had DMR V12 before these and although they are also a great peddle they are not as big and grippy as these. I have never slipped of them, even in the wet.

Favorite Trail:   Killy