Home | Reviews | Pedal | Time

Time Atac XS Pedal

4.06/5 (65 Reviews)

The Time ATAC XS pedals provide maximum reliability in all conditions with three adjustable settings for variable resistance and a wide platform.

Submitted by snotrocket a All Mountain Rider from Rochester, NY, USA!!

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2012

Strengths:    Simple design with adjustability. I used them for commuting, mountain, road and track racing. They are excellent.pedals and are perfect for trail riding. I have covered them in salt, mud and everything in between and they still turn as smooth as the day i bought them.

Weaknesses:    If you keep your wheels on the ground they are great. If you are going to do more DH style riding they aren't the best since they have such a small platform. But i feel safe doing smaller 3-4 foot drops

Bottom Line:
Great pedal for a great price, if i ever have to retire these pedals they will be replaced by another set of time atacs

Favorite Trail:   Tryon Park

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano clip less
Look Keo (road)

Bike Setup:   Cannondale rush lefty

Submitted by Uncle_Mike a Weekend Warrior from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2010

Strengths:    Excellent and dependable engagement, disengagement, mud clearance, feel, tough platform (really). No time spent on set-up, install and ride.

Weaknesses:    Durability - they wear out and replacement parts are not worth the cost. Pedal rail design will eventually wear a grove in your shoe that will cause sloop regardless if the cleats are new. Other less expensive options available (ex. XTR)

Bottom Line:
THESE ARE THE BEST PERFORMING PEDALS that I have used and I run them on all of my mtbs. I've tried various other brands with high expectations but always return back to Time. I have noted no perceivable difference from this or the Carbon versions. Your shoe can be completely packed with mud (as per last weekend's CTS 3 day race) and you can still clip in. When new you can really trust them.
THE PROBLEM has been that the mechanism develops play over time, despite new cleats, etc. The XS line does perform better than the Aluminums (tighter feel) but the more complicated design (several parts vs a single spring) wears.
Over time the hole in the rail where the main pin goes through will enlarge and they will develop play.
Get this version not the XE. The XS tension adjustment allows you to remove the slack that will develop and therefore get more lifespan out of the pedal.

Secondly, the rails on Times will eventually wear a grove in sole of the shoe at the front of the cleat (I'm told it's due to a heavy reliance on that contact point vs the base of the shoe). I use Specialized shoes which don't have a replaceable sole, so once this happens - they're done.

In an attempt to rebuild the ATACs I've installed some bushings on the pin but it doesn't last.
With many bikes, the varying degree of pedal wear will leave each bike with a different feel unless the pedals are new. This has resulted in me buying at least 1 set of pedals per year and they ain't cheap. Until I find a better pedal I'll keep new XS's on my top bikes and the rest of the fleet will get Aluminiums to minimize cost and differences in feel/retention.

I did bent a rail on rock a couple of weeks ago but bent it back into shape in a vise and it's perfect.

Oh yeah, the ROC version looks like a solution but a chunk of the resin body smashed off on the second ride. They were replaced on warranty but the spring tension pins popped out (now replaced with a wood screw!) unclipping in high speed technical, within a few days of riding.

So... Performance is excellent, durability for very high usage isn't so great.

Similar Products Used:   Carbon, XE, ROC (crap), Aluminum, XE versions, LX's, Candy's, Look Quartz (crap), etc.

Bike Setup:   Run on several high end XC/Trail bikes for many years

Submitted by fguelfi a Cross Country Rider from Mexico City, DF

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2010

Strengths:    functionality
durability

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
These are amazing pedals, a lot of things can happen to you on the bike ... but this pedals will continue to perform flawlessly. They have endured many rocks, hits and miles without any maintenance and perform perfectly many years after. I have bought a pair for each of my bikes. The modulation to click on is much better than with shimanos and the support when not clicked in is much superior to crank brothers egg beaters.

Favorite Trail:   Ajusco, Mexico City

Similar Products Used:   Eggbeaters and shimano

Submitted by RichardR a Cross Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2010

Strengths:    They behave well when they are new.

Weaknesses:    They wear out quickly. They release when scuffed on rocks.

Bottom Line:
These pedals work well when they are new, but they need to be replaced yearly. Composite bodies wear out quickly in rocky terrain, which makes hard to get into and many unwanted releases. These are probably a good choice if your trails don't have a lot of rocks and logs, or if you don't mind replacing them on a regular schedule.

Purchased At:   On line

Similar Products Used:   Richey, Crank Brothers, Shimano SPD

Bike Setup:   5" travel Ellsworth

Submitted by korbs a Cross Country Rider from philadelphia

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2010

Strengths:    Durable. Reliable. Sturdy. looks.

Weaknesses:    none so far!

Bottom Line:
These pedals are awesome. They are tough and reliable. I have never had any issues clipping in or out of them. Even when it comes to mud. I received my first pair of XS as a gift and soon there after bought myself another set of XS and aliums. Ride them in aggressive mountain rides all the way to my commuter. I too have had knee issues from an unhealthy number of years squatting behind homeplate and have suffered through years of daily pains. These pedals seem to quell such pains, especially after using cheaper SPDs over the years. I was glad to see that other folks have had the same results. These are great pedals.

Favorite Trail:   wissahickon

Similar Products Used:   Both higher and low end shimano SPDs. Speedplay frogs

Bike Setup:   Vicious cycles metal guru, xtr, paul, CK, marzocchi

Submitted by Bayou25 a Racer from Livermore, CA

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2010

Strengths:    Really easy to clip in, no unwanted release. The lateral and angualr floats are sweet: I've knee problems due to snowboarding and with those pedals I don't have any problems.
Plateform is a plus, it prevent the pedals to dig into your sole after a long time riding, like eggbeaters would do.
It's great for mud clearance when my friends are looking for a stick to clean their shimano, I just step into my pedals like on a dry day.

Bottom Line:
Awesome pedals, won't ride anything else but the different models (Ti Carbon, Carbon or Z) depending which bike I use

Favorite Trail:   Soquel Demo Forest

Similar Products Used:   SPD, egg-beaters

Bike Setup:   Bontrager Racelite, converted to SS w/ White Ind. parts
Cyclocross SS - vintage Panasonic

Submitted by joeski13 a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA USA

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2009

Strengths:    easy, sure clip in and out, easy tension adjuster, wide range.

Weaknesses:    price

Bottom Line:
The ballinest. Clear mud, ice, sticks, you can even clear out an ex-girlfriend thru these babies. Along with Oury Grips and Fox Forks, one of the best bike components I've ever owned.

Favorite Trail:   Van Michael @ Blankets Creek

Similar Products Used:   SPD

Bike Setup:   09 GF Rig SS 29er

Submitted by Bendrider a Cross Country Rider from Bend, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2009

Strengths:    Easy in and out. Good float, nice feel.

Weaknesses:    Durability. Retaining bars on the XS model bend due to rock strikes. Cleats wear quickly (has been a problem for years).

Bottom Line:
I love the feel of the Time pedals. I have two other sets of the old ATAC Carbon pedals. I am still using one set of the old pedals on my cross bike. I have probably ridden for 10 years on TIME pedals. I bought the newer ATAC Carbon XS pedals for my mt bike last year and have ridden/raced about one full year on them. The pedals work great. Unfortunately the new retaining bars are not as durable as the old ones. I ride a lot of rocks (volcanic) and they have just beat the bars up. One side of one of the pedals is unusable. There is so much slop due to bent bars that it won't hold the cleat. I would agree with other posters that these are not the pedals to get if you ride rocks. They will probably work well for many years as long as you don't ride the rocks. However this is mountain biking and not golf! My feeling is that they should be more durable, or alternatively that Time should make it clear that the XS pedal line will not hold up in harsher conditions. I have heard that the ATAC ROC pedal is a little tougher. It looks like they have the old round retaining bars so maybe they will be better. Since I like the feel of the Time pedals, I will try the ROC's and see how they last. I'll give the XS model 4 chilis - but not if you're gonna bang them on rocks. You're on your own then.

Favorite Trail:   COD/Grand Slam

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Time Carbon ATAC (old style), Shimano SPD

Submitted by jumper780 a Cross Country Rider from Harker Heights, Texas

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2009

Strengths:    -Bomb proof!
-They keep my foot on the pedal when jumping
-Very self cleaning in nasty conditions

Weaknesses:    Dang, I don't know, maybe the price. But when these go bad (if they ever do)I am buying another set.
Oh, they look like alien pedals

Bottom Line:
Great pedals. You won't regret it. I have bashed and bashed them riding 20 miles a week (sometimes less). Still going strong.

Favorite Trail:   Dana Peak

-RS MC rear shock
-WTB 3.2 Weirwolfs

Submitted by ssorgs a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2009

Strengths:    Platform, float (angular AND side-to-side), solid engage/release, durability, ROCs round bars, big target for engagement

Weaknesses:    Unclips sometimes from rock strikes to underside, rectangular bars bend

Bottom Line:
GET THE ROCs! Sometimes called ROC ATACs -- have to have the round bars, not rectangular. Both great platform and feel, but the rect bars bend. Went thru 2 pair of ATACs in about a year, having bent the bars (they get sloppy or too tight depending on which side of the pedal you're on). Have had the ROCs for year and a half without issue.

Will note that Performance took great care of me with pedal exchanges.

Times in general are a great design, except for the unintentional releases due to rock strikes. This was much, much more of an issue with egg beaters, and with Times it's a minor annoyance and just enought to drop a chili. Times have a large target for engagement, unlike spds, which you have to hit just right. The angular float is plenty, really as much as my frogs in terms of what I acutally use (and with the regular cleat positions). I don't get unintentional releases when my heels swing in or out, like I would with spds. The lateral float is great for me as I like a wide stance (no, not that 'wide stance') which I find is more stable in tech terrain. You can also adjust spring tension for release but I've never felt the need to mess with it, even as cleats have worn.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Speedplay Frogs, Spuds, Eggbeaters, ATAC XS,

Bike Setup:   Maverick Durance w/DUC, X9, XT, Juicy 7s, Mavic 819s, Speedball R, Minion DHF (F) & Nevegal UST (R), ATACs...

Submitted by potatonet a Cross Country Rider from Norcal

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2009

Strengths:    good looks, doesnt clog up with mud, strong attachment

Weaknesses:    hard to line up with my foot, cleat design could prevent this

Bottom Line:
These pedals hold on to your feet when you need them to and they release a little later than when you need them to. I have had multiple near instances when the release was too late (this is on the quicker release position of the cleat).

These instances involve me almost getting hit by a car and running off a 50 ft cliff. I recommend these to anyone who wants to ride a fire trail or something where you dont have to worry about your life.

I know I can set the tension but 85% of the people using these things wont be adjusting the tension of the springs, especially when they see "auto adjustment" on the package.

Favorite Trail:   Annadel

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   meh

Bike Setup:   2008 Gary fisher hifi pro 29er

Submitted by raybob4321 a Cross Country Rider from Louisville, KY

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2009

Strengths:    Easy entry/exit (even in snowy/icy/nasty conditions)

Weaknesses:    None found

Bottom Line:
The only way to make these pedals better is to go carbon or titanium and the weight savings isn't worth it to me... the XS will let you clip in and out with certainty every time!

Favorite Trail:   Brown County

Similar Products Used:   Shimano and Time ATAC Z

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Pirahna hardtail on Kenda Nevegals

Submitted by Haggis a Cross Country Rider from NZ

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2009

Strengths:    Easy to engage, intuitive disengagement. Better platform than Shimano or Eggs. Good amount of float. Easy to service.

Weaknesses:    Inboard nylon bush wears quickly causing play, despite regular cleaning/re-greasing every 4-6 months. (The inboard rubber seal allows water into the bush too easily).
Brass cleats wear quickly compared to steel SPDs (don't walk around with Time cleats!) and are WAY too expensive for what they are. (Anyone tried making their own molds?)
Spare parts are not readily available, and if they can be found; cost as much as a new set of pedals.

Bottom Line:
These pedals perform really well, but, Time need to put in a decent cartridge or needle inboard bearing, reduce the cost of the brass cleats and make some spares available at reasonable cost. After all these pedals are not cheap units.

PS. The people that complain about vertical play between pedal and cleat have worn shoes... carbon shoes are particularly prone to indenting. Try moving the cleat a little.

Similar Products Used:   ATACS, SPD, Eggs.

Submitted by chcmuzza a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2008

Strengths:    Easy, positive engagement; a good range of float, clears really well

Weaknesses:    Pedal body unscrewed from the shaft. Is now back in place and hasn't happened again.

Bottom Line:
I got the Times because the Frogs disintegrated after 8 years during an unforeseen endo. I would have got new Frogs however I needed replacement pedals in a hurry and Frogs are hard to come by in NZ.

I was a little worried the Times would be harder on the knees than the Frogs but I have had no problems adjusting. The positive engagement and mud clearing abilities are better than the Frogs.

I also found that with the Times I instantly liked that I had some float but that my foot was firmly held. The Frogs float is very 'slippery' and I believe they may be less efficient at pedaling due to the amount of easy float.

In all I am pleased the change was forced on me and I am really happy with my choice.

3x Chillis for value as I paid NZ$280 for these when in hindsight the non-adjustable version would have been fine.

Favorite Trail:   Ones I Don't Fall Off