Home | Reviews | Pedal | Time

Time Atac XS Carbon Pedal

4.47/5 (38 Reviews)

The Time ATAC XS pedals provide maximum reliability in all conditions with three adjustable settings for variable resistance and a wide platform.

Submitted by T.McMahon

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2013

Strengths:    Great Float, you can move your shoe around side to side and stay in. Easy in/out

Weaknesses:    Broke One pair in 35 rides. Outside bearings fail, pedal slides 2 inches to end of spindle. 2nd pair started to squeak, so I again got warranty pair, sold new in box. Good bye! If these companies don't recall bad product, screw 'em.

Bottom Line:
If you have these pedals, call Time, and they will send you new bearings. They said that once they send customers new set of bearings, they never hear from them again ( a good Thing ). I just came from Eggbeaters, and broke 3 sets of them, so have no patience for Time breakage. I think the bearing replacement would work for people, don't get frustrated, they had good customer service. I love the way these ride, my favorite. Back to Shimano XT for me.

Submitted by hoolie a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2012

Strengths:    durable, simple no maintenance bearings, look good

Weaknesses:    expensive cleats(that last a long time),

Bottom Line:
I was using Eggbeaters for about 3 years and just switched back to TIME for more durability. I am glad I switched back. I used TIME ATAC and Aliums from about 2003 to 2008 and they lasted with no maintenance that entire time. The Time pedals are worth the $, although I only bought Carbon version for black color to match my bikes. The regular grey ATAC set is a better value.

Favorite Trail:   Singletrack

Duration Product Used:   few months

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Alium, Ritchey spd, Shimano SPD, Eggbeaters

Bike Setup:   Niner One 9 w/ Saint group, Turner 5 Spot XT level

Submitted by Simplemind a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2012

Strengths:    Good ramp-in and adjustable release.

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
For those that say they don't release, it's probably the adjustment. I love the realease and easy clip-in. Much superior to SPD, imho.

Submitted by weekendwarrior

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2012

Strengths:    durability, best engagement and release, mud shedding.

Weaknesses:    none. could be a little lighter, but couldnt everything.

Bottom Line:
been racing since the 90's... tried every pedal out there (all shimano's 545, 646, 747, 959, all of the egg beaters) This is hands down the best pedal I have owned. Current set has seen 3 bikes in 4 years and still works flawless. My entire team rides this pedal and they all swear by it. The most important thing is when you engage and release it always feels the same and there are no suprises. My biggest complaint with the eggbeaters is if anything hit the pedal it would dis-engage without my foot floating left or right (probably only flaw eggbeaters have is it opens up with any thing touching the bottom of the pedal) not the case with the Time, I have taken direct hits and bashes on rocks and my foot/cleat stays engaged. If you can afford them go with the XS Carbon; pay the extra money over the standard Atac XS. The plastic material doesnt seem as durable on the regular XS (Titanium is not the extra dough IMO). anyway, getting a new Ibis SLR and will probably retire the 4 year old pair and YES I will be getting the same old Time Atac XS Carbon because they have never failed me.

Submitted by Man from Utopia a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    They seem to shed mud pretty well, better then my shimano 747's.
Decent weight.

Weaknesses:    Not very adjustable.
Wears out quickly.
Cleats also wear out quickly.
Minor pedal stikes will eject you foot.

Bottom Line:
I don't understand how these got such good ratings. I bought a pair of these after reading the reviews. I've been riding with them now for 5 months but only regularly for the last 3. What I like is that I haven't had any mud clogging issues. My list of dislikes is much longer. First, my left cleat seams to have worn down to where I have 1-2 mm of play between it and the pedal. Each upstroke of the pedal is loose and makes an annoying click in my foot. Again this is after 30 rides tops. Secondly, the spring in both pedals on both sides have a little play in them but not nearly as bad as my left cleat. Third, the fact that every time I hit the bottom of a pedal on a rock it unclips my shoe. That's a deal breaker. Fourth, these pedals aren't very adjustable. They have 4 tension settings, easy, easier, and easiest or turn the cleat around for bolted in no matter what.

Favorite Trail:   15

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   long discontinued Shimano 747, after 17 years they still work better then these pedals.

Submitted by Johnny K. a Cross Country Rider from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2011

Strengths:    Durable, consistent, high-quality.

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
I have these pedals on both of my bikes, so they're used for technical singletrack, as well as road duty. The first pair is now over five years old, and are still performing flawlessly. They have been through everything: MANY miles, mud, rain, lack of maintenance, rocks... I can't tell the difference between my original set and the newer ones.

They clip in with a very positive engagement, and are easy to find, even in tricky situations. They have taken direct impacts from rocks, hard enough to make me cringe, and still they display no perceivable damage, visibly or functionally. I did notice some play in the spring of one of them a while back, but one turn of the tension set screw tightened it up perfectly, and there it remains.

I considered trying something new, since these are the only clipless pedals I've ever had, but seeing as how they have never been the cause of a single problem over so much time, I will use only these as long as they make them. Expensive, yes, but their longevity certainly pays off. I highly, highly recommend them.

Bike Setup:   Hardtail 29er and cyclocross

Submitted by jrahm a Cross Country Rider from Sisters OR

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2011

Strengths:    secure retention, easy in and out

Weaknesses:    a little heavy

Bottom Line:
Went from Times to Eggbeaters a few years back, put shoe protection plates on after some damage and ended up with way too much float and way too slippery release. Always found them hard to clip into.
First ride back on the Times today, SO HAPPY, very secure feel and easy to find when clipping in. Put the Eggs up on Craigslist.

Favorite Trail:   Peterson Ridge

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Eggbeaters, WTB, SPD

Bike Setup:   Ti 29er racer-x

Submitted by smokey422 a Weekend Warrior from gilliam, MO USA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2011

Strengths:    Mud shedding, clips in very securely, float.

Weaknesses:    Can't clip out in a sketchy situation. Caused numerous falls.

Bottom Line:
I really wanted to like these pedals but, just as with my previous ATACs, they trapped my feet way too often. With the old ATACs, it cost me a broken ankle. I tried filing the cleats, which helped a little, but for me these are not suitable for technical trails.

Favorite Trail:   Landahl, Rock Bridge

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Older Time ATACs, Eggbeaters (worthless), Shimano SPDs (the best), Rockwerkes SPD clones (also good).

Bike Setup:   Lemond Poprad Cyclocross bike, Fisher Marlin MTB wit numerous mods.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Bristol,CT

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2011

Strengths:    Easy in and out, less floaty feeling than the lower model ATAC's. ATAC's withstand rock strikes like no other pedal except maybe giant platforms.

Weaknesses:    They are slightly heavier than other models/brands out there. But I'm talking grams so no big deal breaker.

Bottom Line:
TIME ATAC's are a great product and I'm glad that they are still a great pedaleven though they have changed over the years. Plain wore out the 4 year old ATAC composite pedals on my old bike. So I decided to try Crank Brothers Candy 1. I had previously tried the classic EggBeaters when they first came out, but the cleats butterfly snapped in half after a couple rides!! EggBeaters release if you even make casual contact with a root or rock. That sucks. And the newer platform Candy pedal is no different, if you touch a rock or root, they release.
So I got these TIME ATAC XS Carbon on sale at PricePoint ($165) and LOVE the way they feel. They feel slightly tighter than the Composites because the spring bar has a square profile, slightly less float. I like it. So after about 3 weeks I bought 2 more spare pairs on Chainlove @ $109 each pair...I'm good for at least 8 years now.

Purchased At:   Chainlove

Similar Products Used:   Shimano POS , um SPD (long time ago.....), Crank Brothers EggBreakers (tried twice, years apart, but they are crap in tech terrain)

Bike Setup:   Yeah.

Submitted by big lou a Weekend Warrior from ny

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2011

Strengths:    great float easy clip in

Weaknesses:    times customer service sucks,this is the 4th pair of these pedals the the drive side body cracked in the middle.I asked for just the body and they want to see them and see if it falls under warranty blah blah blah.This part probably cost them a few pennies and would have made for a satisfied customer but they went about it wrong.There is definatly something wrong and these pedlas for the price should last longer.well i bought xtrs yest for same price and I know theyll last forever.screw time they have a good design buy shkity product

Bottom Line:
do not buy these pedals they will fail way to early way to much upkeep.time customer service should have just sent out a new body for the pedal i sent them pics,bottom line my bike was down and im not playing tag with them for months only in the end to have them say i neglected them or something

Favorite Trail:   rp

Purchased At:   pricepoint,ebay,othe

Similar Products Used:   egg beater xtr

Bike Setup:   niner ss

Submitted by BikeSwan a Racer from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2011

Strengths:    - Great mud clearing ability (Canadian mud is sticky.
- Very positive entry and exit feel, with a reassuring click.
- Nice looks (Atac=Gray, Atac Carbon=Red, or Atac Titanium= Black)
- Bearings last for ever (i've been running one pair for over 6 years without a single service and still running smoothly).
- Easily serviceable (I have serviced my Titaniums once in fear of breaking them).
- A lot easier on the knees than Shimano SPD's.

Weaknesses:    - Somewhat expensive for the more advanced options but the bog standard Atacs are as good as any.
- Sometimes hard to find them in a local bike shop.

Bottom Line:
These are an absoloutly supurb pedal without any mechanical faults that I can find. They are relatively cheap if you buy them from an online store (Chain Reaction OR Wiggle). I couldnt reccomend these pedals more. Been using 2 pairs for over 6 years and without a single service and daily use they are still running smoothly.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycle

Similar Products Used:   - Shimano M520 (Lasted 6 months before the bearings where shot).

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur TRc / DT Swiss Forks / XTR-XT Drivetrain / Hope Brakes / Race Face and Fizik finishing kit.

Submitted by ozzybmx a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2011

Strengths:    Positive engagement, solid feel, no play when pulling on the upstroke (very noticable when standing on my SS), suprising easy clip out when needed, awesome float,

Weaknesses:    Cost to weight ratio, i got a price match for both sets but here in Australia they are $300+ a set.

Bottom Line:
Complete changover to TIME, i have another set of carbon XS on the way, apart from interchangability as most people i know ride SPD, these are better pedals in everyway.
5 chilis for both but if i had to pay Oz prices i would have marked down the value to 4 as it ridiculous to pay over $300 for a set of 338g pedals.

Purchased At:   Wiggle

Similar Products Used:   Numerous XTR, XT, M540, M520, DX694, M424

Bike Setup:   AM/XC/SS

Submitted by Colddiver98 a Weekend Warrior from PNW, Oregon

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2009

Strengths:    Reasonable weight, ease of use and durable. Excellent retention system that is easy to clip out of quickly, but holds firmly.

Weaknesses:    Price? A little steep for a clipless pedal, especially when they take such a beating.

Bottom Line:
I moved from SPD to this cleat set-up and have been very impressed for the application. I have moved back and forth between flats and SPD over the years and have finally found a good compromise for most AM riding. There's enough of a platform to be able to start pedaling prior to clipping in. I've found these are much more comfortable over technical terrain as they are secure, but easily popped when needing to plant a foot. Excellent Pedal and I will purchase again.

Favorite Trail:   MRT

Purchased At:   PricePoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, Wellgo SPD-800

Bike Setup:   AM Jamis Dakar XAM 2.0- Too much to mention

Submitted by antidote3 a Weekend Warrior from SoCal

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2008

Strengths:    Very easy to clip in and clip out.
Allows a few degrees of non-centering free float.
Foot retention independent of spring tension.
Excellent mud shedding.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This pedal has been very reliable so far.

I switched from the Speedplay frogs because I had trouble clipping into the frogs if I stepped on moist ground. So much for the frog's mud shedding abilities (maybe it's just the SoCal ground?) I also had a hard time starting on steep slopes because the frogs do not have a decently flat platform to get in a couple unclipped in revolutions. However, the Frogs were by far the easiest to clip OUT of (as long as you keep them lubed...).

So far I have been very impressed with the Time ATACs. I bought them because the reviews for the older Time products said they were indestructible. Multiple reports of people riding them for 5 or even 10 years without absolutely zero maintenance. After about a week of getting used to them I now have absolutely no problems clipping out at any time. They give me lots of confidence to push things past the point of no return, because they have never let me down in bailing-out-while-falling-over :)

Also, I'm now able to restart on much steeper hills than I could with the frogs. A lot of the time I now clip in right after putting my foot down, but even when I can't clip in right away the platform is big enough to get a couple revolutions in and then clip in.

For reference I'm 6' and 230 lbs. I ride in South Orange County (Whiting Ranch, Aliso Woods)