Home | Reviews | Pedal | Time

4.5/5 (235 Reviews)

TIME ATAC TITAN Carbon

Submitted by Fractured pixel a Cross Country Rider from Omaha ne

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2009

Strengths:    easy to use
durability
they do not jam up when in mud

Weaknesses:    old really really old

Bottom Line:
I have used these peddles for over 10 years and they still work great. they look beat up but the functionality is still flawless.

the price is a guess as they came stock on my bike. I think they were pretty pricy back in the late 90s know you can probly pick up a pair cheep if you can find them.

Favorite Trail:   lewis and clark

Purchased At:   Bike Rack (local sho

Similar Products Used:   nashbar SPD knock offs

Bike Setup:   98% stock Klein Pulse Pro

Submitted by Dave G. a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2008

Strengths:    Incredibly durable and reliable. Bearings are butter smooth and free of play after about 7 years of use. Always engages and has enough float for your knee. Not ridiculously small like some pedals that might be lighter. You can actually pedal this one disengaged in a pinch.

Weaknesses:    It's not the most inexpensive pedal. Another weakness would be that they don't make it anymore haha.

Bottom Line:
These pedals have been so good to me over the years I don't think I'd have the heart to upgrade to newer models when I get a new bike. I've done everything from races in college to hours of trail riding and they've always been there for me. It's beyond me how they still spin so smoothly with no play after 7 years. That, and all the rocks I've smashed them into which hasn't seemed to faze the carbon body. If you can find a set used or new go ahead and grab them because these are classics.

Favorite Trail:   The Fells at the moment

Purchased At:   Laughing Dog Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Too long ago to be worth mentioning at this point.

Bike Setup:   2000 Gary Fisher Paragon

Submitted by Aaron a Racer from Vancouver BC Canada

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2007

Strengths:    Well I got these pedals for my 2001 RM vertex which i raced XC on for many years. I even am using the original cleat, which is now worn out,but integrated into my shoe! Amazing in mud, easy on the knees and so durable. these things have been bashed off rocks, taken the brunt of when my bike flew off my car and I have actually been using them on my road bike until i find a road pedal I want.

Weaknesses:    I only have one pair

Bottom Line:
Great long lasting pedal. Can't go wrong

Purchased At:   My friend

Similar Products Used:   Time attack composite

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi z2 atom fork, xt brakes(crap) 2005rapid rise xtr rear, xt front racefaceLP rings, xt hollowtech cassette, sram rocket shifters

Submitted by Daniel a Cross Country Rider from Greensboro

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2007

Strengths:    Great in Mud, decent platform, durable determined by 6 years of time tested abuse

Weaknesses:    the cleats are expensive

Bottom Line:
I have owned these pedals since 2001. I bought them to replace shimano spd after they failed me on a very rainy and muddy race. I could not clip in. at the time of this review i have had them for 6 years. the metal rails have clear worn marks through years of abuse and a piece of the carbon platform is broken but they still work fine. I had to replace the cleats and i think they too expensive. Time ATAC work great in mud. I think the Egg beaters are a better design and are lighter. But many people who own them say that the small platform wears on there feet after long rides and the candys clip out a little to easy.

Purchased At:   Can't remember

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Submitted by Peter from Houston

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2006

Weaknesses:    Broken springs.

Bottom Line:
I sent these in with an RA# 6 months ago. When I call, I get a machine every time. Calls and emails go unanswered. I'm not sure I'll ever see those pedals again.

Submitted by Kitkat a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2006

Strengths:    - Light
- Excellent tension
- Easy to get into and out of
- Never accidentally unclip
- All weather performance

Weaknesses:    - Very fragile when compared to Aliums
- 6mm allen key installation means it is very difficult, if not impossible, to remove

Bottom Line:
I got these carbon pedals cheap on a visit to the Seattle bike show some years ago. I needed a new set of Time ATAC pedals and saw these pedals on special so bought a set. I'm a Time ATAC convert ever since I borrowed a friend's set when my old pedals broke, and have used a set of Aliums since.

The carbons are very light, but they're also much more fragile. Having now done 5 years and 25,000km on the Aliums with no problems at all aside from a lost dust-cap, the Carbons were a major disappointment.

The back spring on my left pedal broke on both sides after just a year's use (even though using it with a broken spring doesn't seem to hurt its performance at all.

The right pedal unscrews itself on a regular basis and sometimes the only way you'd notice is when you pull up on air on an upstroke to find a pedal securely attached to your cleat but not to the spindle. Eventually the carbon part broke apart on one of these occasions and that was it. I can't justify paying such a high premium over the Time Alium and having an inferior, more unreliable product.

Carbon version of the Time ATAC is installed using 6mm allen key, and this means it's almost impossible to remove at the best of times, simply don't get much leverage on a 6mm allen key. Another mark against the carbon.

The moral of the story seems to be: Lighter is never better.

Purchased At:   Seattle Bike Show

Similar Products Used:   Time ATAC Alium, Wellgo

Bike Setup:   Cannondale hardtail

Submitted by RAJ KHEMRAJ a Weekend Warrior from SPRINGFIELD, MO

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2006

Strengths:    GREAT MUD PEDALS
FOOL PROOF
NO ADJUSTING NEEDED

Weaknesses:    HEAVY

Bottom Line:
gREAT TIME TESTED PEDALS

Favorite Trail:   SAC

Purchased At:   STOCK

Bike Setup:   02 BLUR

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Mystic, CT

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2005

Strengths:    Good release angle, hardly any small parts to get gunked up, well built.

Weaknesses:    I've heard these pedals have become less durable since I bought them. I wouldn't know, because my pair still works great.

Bottom Line:
These pedals aren't too expensive, and have always gotten fantastic reviews from bike mags, riders, etc. They work great in mud, sand, standing swamp water, whatever. The cleats have held up to abuse for 7 years as well, and they don't need to be replaced yet. I got these at the same time my friend got speedplay frogs, and mine are still doing a fantastic job, his aren't.

Purchased At:   80

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000 XC

Submitted by Raj a Weekend Warrior from Elkhart, ks

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2005

Strengths:    Minimal maintanence Easy to engage

Weaknesses:    heavy

Bottom Line:
The pedals are great. I broke some of the plastic on them and the company was able to get me replacements quickly.

Favorite Trail:   MRT

Bike Setup:   Blur

Submitted by Anthony Castellanos a Cross Country Rider from Carolina,Puerto Rico USA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2005

Strengths:    Awesome i have never ridden them offroad but i have messengered the hell out of them. and they are still going strong 4k.

Bottom Line:
for durability price and for allround riding you just cant go wrong with time pedals.

Favorite Trail:   anything

Similar Products Used:   crap bros shimano look time

Bike Setup:   gios fixie phile hubs on rolf vector pro wheels nitto moustache bars w/cane creek 200tt leaver d/a cog and lock ring and a suntour superbe pro track crank

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Oakville, ON. Canada.

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2005

Strengths:    Easy to clip in and out, excellent in mud, built tough and easy to clean.

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
The ATAC Carbons are my first set of clipless pedals. I'd always ridden with platforms and toe clips but decided to switch to clipless when I got my Cinder Cone. I bought the ATAC Carbons after reading the many positive reviews on this site and I haven't been disappointed. The ATACs have made the transition to clipless quite easy. I've fallen a few times but that's just part of the learning curve. I've used the Carbons in heavy mud and did not have any problems clipping in. Unclipping is quite easy as well and the amount of lateral float allows for a comfortable degree of foot movement. They are well made and built to take a beating. I would definitely recommend the ATAC Carbons whether you're already riding clipless or thinking about switching.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Toe clips.

Bike Setup:   2004 Kona Cinder Cone.

Submitted by Brian Dotson a Cross Country Rider from Concord, NC

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2004

Strengths:    Simple, reliable, easy in & out, strong, light

Weaknesses:    Absolutely none

Bottom Line:
What can you say - just had to add my voice to the masses on this one. Simply the best pedal you can buy! Sheds mud like nobody's business, simple to use, have done no maintenance on them since I bought the things almost 3 years ago! You put 'em on and just forget about them! That's what any great gear does, gets out of the way to let you focus on the trail and your pounding heartbeat, screaming lungs and burning quads! Never given me the slightest problem and I rode WAY better from day one using them!

Favorite Trail:   Beech Spring

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski

Bike Setup:   Haro XLS R5, Marzocchi Z.5 Bomber, Rock Shock Bar schock, Avid Mech Discs.

Submitted by TIM THE TOOLMAN a Cross Country Rider from CAPE TOWN -SOUTH AFRICA

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2004

Strengths:    SIMPLICITY OF DECIDE, NOT MANY PARTS IN IT TO GO WRONG, AWESOME CLIPPING IN AND OUT. THE BEST THING ABOUT THEM IS I ONLY 2 MONTHS AGO PUT A NEW PAIR OF CLEATS ON AND NEVER SERVICED THE PEDALS IN THE LAST 2 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I JUMP ALOT FOR A XC BOY(OLD BMX TRAILRIDING HABITS) AND THESE PEDALS NEVER AUTO UNCLIP LIKE SPD TYPES. THEY ARE AWESOME IN MUD. IN - OUT WITHOUT BLINKING AND EYELID!!!!

Weaknesses:    THEY LAST TO LONG, SO YOU NEVER NEED TO UPGRADE TO THE LATEST ONE.

Bottom Line:
BUY THESE PEDALS FOR NO HASSLE BOMBPROOF PEDALING, QUALITY BUILD AND FEEL UNDER FOOT!!!

Favorite Trail:   GRABOUW

Purchased At:   BOWMANS CYCLES

Similar Products Used:   SHIMANO, BONTRAGER, WELLGO

Bike Setup:   TREK 8500 WITH XTR THROUGHOUT,MAVIC X717 CERAMIC RIMS, EASTON EC70 POST, SELLE SAN MARCO ASPIDE CARBON SADDLE, SCUD AMOEBA CARBON HANDLEBAR, THOMPSON ELITE STEM, TIME PEDALS, CODA TURANTULA DUAL CHAINRING CRANKSET, TITANIUM SQUARE TAPER BB.

Submitted by Ryan W a Racer from WI

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2004

Strengths:    Easy in and out. Nearly indestructable. Super simple set up. Zero adustments. Two sets of sealed ballbearings in each pedal.

Weaknesses:    Cleats wear fast.

Bottom Line:
Best pedals. Simply click in and forget. Never load up in swamps or snow. I have never had one of these pedals fail on me. Theyrrrrrr Grrrreat.

Favorite Trail:   mine

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Coda junk, and more time atacs.

Bike Setup:   C'dale Scalpel, C'dale hardtail and Trek vrx

Submitted by sean a Racer from ipswich ma usa

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2004

Strengths:    this is for the new 2004 pedals with new composite body type. lighter than previous years and less lateral float.

Weaknesses:    I broke the left on in half making it all but unridable on my first ride with them just about a half hour into it. Very,very fragile compared to old body type that never failed.

Bottom Line:
these things are crap compared to the originals that always worked and never cracked or gave me problems. thank god i still have my old ones, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I am bummed that these failed so easily and that i am bashing Time, but I was really disappointed in these 2004 models. Hope they work for everyone else if not stay with the old body style,still the best pedal i have ridden!

Favorite Trail:   rollercoaster