Home | Reviews | Pedal | Time

4.48/5 (595 Reviews)

Time ATAC

Submitted by Robert Neuman

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2013

Strengths:    Light, secure

Weaknesses:    Pain on left foot

Bottom Line:
Used them only for 2 days. Had a pain in the ball of my left foot on the second day. Used with SIDI Drago mtb shoes. Pain could be from the shoe or the pedal or combination. Sending them back.

Submitted by quitorider a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2013

Strengths:    easy to clip in and out. cleats are compact and last at least a year. work really well in muddy conditions.

Weaknesses:    my right pedal needs rebuilding after one year of heavy use. (it's at the shop now). i think the bearings need lube or replacement. even with this issue i still would buy another pair

Bottom Line:
I loved using these pedals from day one. I can only compare them to road pedals such as speedplay and dura ace. I haven't seen/read about other pedals that are designed and work as well as these in mud.

Favorite Trail:   Yanacocha-Nono

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   online from a French

Bike Setup:   Motobecane Fly Team 29er Hardtail Ti

Submitted by Jovey A

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    DURABLE!! These are have zero maintenance needed, take a pounding and the float on them make it very knee friendly.

Weaknesses:    Like other's say - not for weight weenies

Bottom Line:
I first bought my first set of ATACs in 1999, and those pedals are now on my single speed commuter and still spinning well and holding me clip in, even when cranking out of the saddle. I bought my next set in 2010 and even they have a new look they are just dependable. I don't where the 120 bucks price tag comes from on here, I got mine new at the LBS and paid only 45 dollars for them. Cleats are are just as tough, I use my shoes for commuting as well as trail riding, hiked on them beat the pavement with them and they are still clipping in.

In all the years I have had them, I never ever maintained them - they just work. There are other flashier and lighter pedals out there, but if you want a product you just want to slap on and forget - then these are it. These suckers will probably out live me. If your not a gram counter and was something reliable - then these pedals are for you.

Submitted by bryankauai a Cross Country Rider from kapaa

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2011

Strengths:    just awesome. unbelievably reliable. NEVER pop out unless cleats are worn to down to tiny nubs...

Weaknesses:    not for weight weenies

Bottom Line:
these are bad ass! ive had tons of these on a wide number of bikes.
currently i have em on my mtb, roadie, hell even my tricked beach cruiser rain bike.

i was turned on to em while riding fix gears way back when. kept poppin out of my spd's while skidding or sprinting. friend said "try these" never looked back.

im never scared of pop out while hammering super hard on my ss mtb.
shed mud well.
just excellent. well made.

i ride every day and get about a year outta the cleats, just about the time my shoes fall apart.

set and forget.
i recommend to all
but not for weight weenies

Favorite Trail:   not tellin

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   spds, egg beaters

Bike Setup:   Vassago jaber, ridged ss, this and that..

Submitted by shafertl a Cross Country Rider from Bozeman, MT

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2010

Strengths:    Strong, reliable, easy to get in/out, maintenance free, sexy

Weaknesses:    nada

Bottom Line:
These pedals are the best. I've not tried many others, as I've been riding these pedals for more than 11 years. And judging by the other reviews on this site, that is not evidence of weak riding; rather, a testamony of strength and reliability. I've raged hard all over the Rocky Mountain west on these pedals and never had a problem. I just recently sheared one of the metal bars on a spring break trip to Moab, as I bashed it on a rock. I can't even be mad after almost 12 years of solid use. Hell...I'm still riding them now. I just don't use that side. So here I am considering a new set of pedal, investigating what new products have entered the market and what new technology has been created since my last pedal purchase. I'll be ordering another set of these.

Purchased At:   Employee order from

Similar Products Used:   ritchey SPD

Bike Setup:   An old Mountain Cycle Mojo Slix with other old parts. (I'm in grad school and can't afford new stuff. I was almost embarrassed to write this, but I just went on a ride yesterday after looking into getting a new bike with student loans and realized that I really love my bike).

Submitted by rcknroll35 a Cross Country Rider from canada

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2010

Strengths:    Solid, clear mud, NO maintenance (EVER), love the clear "clank" noise when clipping, undestroyable

Weaknesses:    I never fell hard, so I'm not sure if they would easily clip-off, because they are quite stiff when compared to other pedals and there is no ajustment. This might be an issue to other people but no me.

Bottom Line:
Used those for around 8-9 years, transfering them from bike to bike as I went along and god are they great, good looking, solid and maintenance-free (9 years, never touched them). I really love the clear "clank" noise when clipping unlike other pedals where you're not to sure if you're clipped or not... Some will say that you don't have that problem "once you get used to" but why want to get used to them, if I can have pedals that could click right away, 100% of the time, without putting any afterthought, concentration on your feet??

If you don't care about not having any adjustment, then these (all Time pedals) are for you!

Highly recommended, outstanding product!! Will buy again if they EVER break!

Purchased At:   Bicyclettes de Hull

Similar Products Used:   Tried many pedals, many shimano's in fact.

Bike Setup:   Transfered these pedals from 3 bikes in 9 years (approx). A Giant Warp DS1 1999 (1 year), a Norco Fireball 2001 (8 years) and I just bought a brand new Scott Spark 40, 2009. The guys told me I should go for the Shimano pedals, that they were popular, so I did (wondered, why not try?). Completely deceived : as crappy as 8 years ago, hard to clip properly/easily, always wondering "Am I clipped?" because there is no clear noise that you are, etc.

Submitted by zach lk sow a Cross Country Rider from kuala lumpur malaysia

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2009

Strengths:    easy to use

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
my knees led my head to decide to try out clipless so that they can help out each other. Afer doing some research into clipless pedals, time atacs was what i decided to have and that is a very good decision.
Tried clipless for the first time, time atac is so easy to use, both clipping in and unclipping, the circular motion of pedalling really help my right knee, which is in pain for the past few months.
cann't wait to use it in my favourite trail in 2 days time.

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Submitted by Jonathan a Racer from Chicago, Illinois

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2007

Strengths:    These are the best pedals I have ever ridden. They are totally reliable, clips in with a telling "twang", they don't let go when your sprinting (even when your sprinting for your life), require nearly zero maintenance, and feel solid. Everything breaks except for my pedals. Clears mud, salt, and ice like nothing I have ever ridden. Never are inescapable.

Weaknesses:    hrmmm.. that is a difficult one. Perhaps the cleat material, the cleats are a soft metal which is fantastic for protecting floors and not destroying more expensive parts of the pedals with wear, but when they wear down (3+ months serious riding) they leave an uneven platform for your foot, which your lower leg accommodates for with a little conditioning. However I do have a set for beating the crap out of, and a set for racing which have fresh cleats.

Bottom Line:
From my experience as a racing cyclist and year round commuter in a horrible city for 5 years, there is no pedal I would trust more for clearing intersections and sprinting for buses for a pleasant draft.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Front (I live in the city....)

Purchased At:   used on craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Pheew!... various Shimano garbage circa 1999-2001, Time ATAC alium, XS, and World Champion series. Speedplay X series, Zeros, and Frogs. Time Equipe. Look Keo, and the I use the newest plastic pedals for racing road, and time trialing.

Bike Setup:   Merlin Extralight
Winters: patchy shimano and old wheels. Old Dominator shoes.
Summers: 105/Ultegra mix with Ksyrium (light ones), Century aerobars (more hand positions than "pure" aero, probably little difference in profile), Sidi Genius, and Dominator 5 shoes.

Submitted by Timsk a Cross Country Rider from Brighton, UK

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2007

Strengths:    Keep on going and going and going.... I've never performed any maintenance on them and I've used them for MTBing and commuting in very wet contitions. Thick plastic body is very tough and still looks fresh after 5 years of riding. Zero play in the bearings. Very simple; float adjustments are made by swapping the cleats between shoes. Engagement is easy with a nice reassuring 'clunk'.

Weaknesses:    Heavier than a lot of the racing/XC pedals on the market but not as bad as some claim. Weight = durability.

Bottom Line:
Don't Time deserve some kind award for this pedal, best clipless pedal ever made? I've never a component last this long. You can get them on Ebay for modest prices, I'm looking for a second set right now!

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles, Waterloo, UK

Similar Products Used:   Egg Beaters. My Egg Beater Stainless lasted 18 months with 3 sets of new bearings before finally seizing up so badly I couldn't remove the inboard race. Beyond repair, ended up in the garbage.

Bike Setup:   Pedals have been on numerous bikes- A Santa Cruz Superlight, Intense Tracer, Kona Cindercone, Edinburgh Cycles Courier, A Brompton Folder, A Dahon Speed Pro Folder. On One Singlespeed. Did 2500 miles across America with them on my old steel framed touring bike.

Submitted by Rich a Weekend Warrior from Franklin, MA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2007

Strengths:    Bomb proof
Easy in and out the same every time
Simple set up.

Weaknesses:    none that I can see

Bottom Line:
I have been riding these pedals for more than 5 years. The same pedals. They are set to the lower release angle (15 i think). I have never had any trouble getting into or out of them once I got used to them. the first few rides were tough, but every time after, no problems.
These things are bomb proof. I have smacked, whacked and cracked these things on rocks, roots, cacti, trees and shrubs from AZ to MA, which the exception of the scratches and dents, these pedals are just as solid as the day I got them.

By far the only component on my bike I don't have to worry about or adjust.

Favorite Trail:   The Fells (right now)

Similar Products Used:   All SPD, Shimano, Nashbar, etc.

Bike Setup:   Azonic Sabre
Z-1 BAM 130mm
Avid BB7 dics
Hope XC hubs

Submitted by mancalledsharon a Cross Country Rider from salibury

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2007

Strengths:    great for getting into and out of.no need to do anything to keep these working

Weaknesses:    when wet you have to clip in or you'll slip off the small pedal

Bottom Line:
buy these second hand they go on forever i have a pair on both bikes(fixed pompino and mtb) they are so easy to use with no lock in. if you've never tried any other clipless pedal don't bother these are the daddy

Similar Products Used:   nothing as good

Bike Setup:   old marin with sram x9 avid v's pace forks

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2007

Strengths:    strong, easy in and out, maintenance free, install and forget about

Weaknesses:    not the lightest pedal, but hey i'm not the lightest rider

Bottom Line:
About 7 years ago I ehlp my uncle's team out at 24hours of Snowshoe in West Virginia. One of the guys on his team had a new bike with TIME atac alium pedals on it. He hated the pedals. As payment for being their pit crew he gave them to me.
Since then they have been on 4 different bikes, hundreds (probably thousands) of miles, and I havent done a damn thing to them. Never oiled them, never cleaned them. This is probably the only part of the bike I never think of. They are always easy to get into, easy to get out of. They have bashed off rocks, trees, roots, curbs, etc, and come out fine.
Never bother with anything else. Time ATAC is the way to go

Favorite Trail:   Devil's Backbone

Purchased At:   Given to me

Similar Products Used:   ritchey (spd), flats

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC, Reba, sram drivetrain, XT cranks, juicy brakes

Submitted by Jorgex a Weekend Warrior from Almada, Portugal

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2006

Strengths:    -the best system of all times, specialy under mud
-13º or 20º(no screws to setup)
-at least 6 years of pleasure, light FR, lots of XC, enduro, muddy winter and my self(over 100kg)
-if u want to different from other bikers

Weaknesses:    -heavy(back in 2000) and extremely heavy today
-clits not compatible with SPD pedals or any other system

Bottom Line:
I tottaly agree with previous reviewer, Time pedals are not so compatible with Sidi Action 2 SRS.
I bought the shoes and pedals at the same time(in different stores)and only later i discovered the compatible problem.

This is from my Sidi Action 2 SRS review:
"About the Time pedals, it will gently cut the removable sole when trying to put in/out your feet in the pedal, after that it will stabilize. There's no problem at all."

Action 2 SRS has a soft sole so it's relatively a small problem.
All bike shoes are made for SPD use, not for other systems like Time, CrankBrothers, Northwave...

In the end this brand will improve your riding skills.
If, for some reason, these pedals die , i'll buy TIME pedals again.

Purchased At:   Former LBS