Home | Reviews | Pedal | Time

Time Atac Alium Pedal

4.36/5 (42 Reviews)

New wider pedal platform for improved foot stability. New body design improves self-cleaning of the engagement mechanism. Low spring tension causes less friction in extreme conditions. New body profile and arch design provides faster step-in.

Submitted by Cracker69 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2012

Strengths:    Great strong reliable pedal
good mud clearance
easy clip in

Weaknesses:    Brass cleat is a fundamental weakness - cleats often cost as much as a set of pedals
Cleats wear out each season
Sinz make a steel replacement that survive much better but these chew up the pedals and make for loose engagment

Bottom Line:
I have used Time pedals for about four years - so I am quite familiar with them. I recently switched back to Shimano as the cleat situation is ridiculous. Brass is a cheap metal easily obtained and forged as it is rather soft. The cleats that Time make are cheap low tolerance objects that cost 30 bucks and last one season at the most. This is a major flaw in the pedals. I attempted to get around this by using the Sinz Time cleat replacement made to higher spec from steel. Unfortunately these cleats steadily erode a grove in the pedal and create slop in the engagement that is very annoying and ruins the pedal body. Shimano pedals use all steel parts and isolate the cleat from any aluminum when engaged - its just a better design.

Duration Product Used:   4 yrs

Purchased At:   all over

Submitted by SpecEpic2012

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2012

Strengths:    Bombproof and decent platform for unclipped sketchy sections. Good in muddy and sandy conditions too. Good value.

Weaknesses:    Weight and can be difficult to clip out. No tension adjustment.

Bottom Line:
These are great pedals if you are looking for a good value and not a weight weenie. These babies will stand up to all kinds of abuse and just keep on ticking. I have owned mine for 10 years and they are still going strong. The only thing I had difficulty with was clipping out in sketchy areas but there is an easy fix for that. All you need to do is grind off a little of the inside rear section of each clip and that does the trick. I ground off a little less than half of mine and now they work great ! There is just too much metal on metal in the rear section of each cleat. Not sure why they made that section so large on the cleat but they definitely over did it. It's very east to grind off with a grinder or even a hand file. It makes all the difference in the world.

Submitted by A1an a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2012

Strengths:    Can't kill them

Bottom Line:
Five years ago I killed one of my Candy C platforms on a root just a week before a 6 hour event. The only pedals I could find locally in my price range were these Time Atac Aliums...so it was either get these or walk (or pay $20 for overnight shipping from an online store...no thanks).

Five years and thousands of hours later they still work flawlessly. They have been rained on, submerged, subjected to the most abrasive mud, etc but refuse to die. I will be a Time customer for life.

Duration Product Used:   5 years

Submitted by Rich a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2012

Strengths:    Solid Solid Solid. Good price for great product

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
I have used these for over a year now and they are sweet pedals. I have slammed them hard on rocks and they have never broken, nor have I had to do any maintenance on them. I have never had a problem clipping into them in mud.

Submitted by Terry a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2012

Strengths:    Typical Time mountain bike cleat and clip in. Rock solid with plenty of float.

Weaknesses:    Biggest weakness I've seen is the push pins used to mount the cleat retention springs. The pair I have now which will be replaced with Shimano pedals as the Alium is no longer being manufactured to my knowledge (Check Time's website. It's no longer listed), have the push pin mounting in the cast base slipping out occasionally as well as loose cleat retention springs. This is on a pedals that are less than three years old. I've had the original Attack pedals with the polycarbonite casing and they were far superior.

Bottom Line:
All said and done the Time pedals I've owned have been great pedals with the exception of the Alium's. Nothing is made to last forever. Alas, Time decided to stop manufacturing the original Attack pedals which I use to own and beat to death without any damage other than some scrapes on the casing. It's truly a shame that they dropped the original for this inferior product.

Duration Product Used:   28 Months

Purchased At:   Harrell's Bicycle Wo

Bike Setup:   Surly Long Haul Trucker

Submitted by Vj

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2012

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Impossible to clip out of

Bottom Line:
I got them yesterday and boy, am I disappointed!! It is a feat to clip out of these. even regular stops made me nervous and finally I fell and hurt my wrist on what should have been a easy clip out. I am done with these. Absolute waste of money.

Submitted by Wiewior a All Mountain Rider from Sosnowiec, Poland

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2012

Strengths:    They work perfect in any weather conditions - mud, sand, snow. They are good for my knees. Easy clip and unclip. They are maintenance free!

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
Just buy these pedals!

Favorite Trail:   twisty trails

Similar Products Used:   rubbish Wellgo wpd823

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Prophet, Lefty Max, Mavix xm819, Thomson, Magura Louise, SRAM X0, X9, Truvativ Holzfeller and Stylo with big e.13 bash, Schwalbe NN and RR 2,25. Fast allmountain build.

Submitted by jasonzh a Cross Country Rider from Newark, DE, USA

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2012

Strengths:    Clipping in is solid, pedals are easy to clean, indestructible

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
Great pedals. I've used them in all different types of conditions ranging from sand to clayish mud. I haven't had any real issues except in clayish mud, but a simple stomp and clipping in is easy again. The pedals are pretty heavy but they are very reliable and bombproof. Also, I had lost an axle cap and sent an email to Time and I got a replacement from them at no charge and no issues. A good product and a good customer service department. Can't go wrong.

Submitted by J Biddy a Weekend Warrior from Sydney Australia

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2011

Strengths:    Simple design, very sturdy. In and out when you want every time. Dirt/mud not an issue.

Weaknesses:    Weight, lack of adjustability.

Bottom Line:
I got these as I do a lot of riding in unfavourable conditions, and so the simple wire system appealed, and this pedal has a better build quality review than the similar crank brothers. I also like the flexibitlity it has over the shimano. Very heavy though and so I wouldn't use it for competitions. Would recommend it as a first clipless pedal, but then upgrade to a lighter more adjustable one.

Favorite Trail:   Any Single Track!

Purchased At:   Wiggle.com

Similar Products Used:   Clip-in platforms, Shimano basic clipless

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock

Submitted by mcgong a Weekend Warrior from Orange Country, CA

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2011

Strengths:    Solid and Simple Construction, bomb proof.

Weaknesses:    Adjustability, but it doesn't really need it.

Bottom Line:
I've used just about every clip system on the market. Started with SPD and the SH56 cleats for easy release. Switched to CB Mallets and Acids which were not bad. Finally I've switched to Time and will be the last time I switch. Unlike the CB pedals, you know when you are clipped and unclipped with a nice Click! sound. I rode in the rain the other day and had to walk my bike through some sections because it was just too muddy to ride. Looked at my shoe and there was about an inch of mud stacked on the bottom sole. After clearing the mud off my bike, I hopped on, and was still able to clip in despite the 1/2 pound of mud still cake on the my shoe. No way could I have done that with CB or SPD pedals. I run the TIme Z Control and Atac Alum and both are great pedals.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano and Crank Brothers

Bike Setup:   2010 Enduro with Goodies

Submitted by NUTTAHT51 a Weekend Warrior from SoCal

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2011

Strengths:    Easy in easy out, durable

Weaknesses:    not sure I can find one

Bottom Line:
These pedals have lasted longer than 2 frames I have owned. I am on frame number 3 and have transferred these pedals from each one. As good as the day I bought them. I can get in and out with ease. After a rainy weekend in SoCal, I rode in very muddy conditions and these little guys clipped in even with mud caked on the pedals and on the cleats. I just can't think why anyone would run SPDs. I have destroyed 3 different pairs of SPDs, 2 knock-offs and 1 shinamo 747. ATAC aluminum pedals are by far the best clipless pedals out there.

Favorite Trail:   Too many to name

Similar Products Used:   SPD, and all knock-offs

Bike Setup:   Sette Ace, Cannondale F2000, and Azonic Sabre

Submitted by icemonkey a Cross Country Rider from Eagle, Co

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2011

Strengths:    Tough, tough, tough

Weaknesses:    Heavy, sevicing

Bottom Line:
A lot of miles and they are still riding great. Awkward to service, but thats a rare event. literally 1000s miles and no complaints.

Favorite Trail:   Slickrock

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, cheapo welgo and more shimano

Bike Setup:   vintage lavadome with lx/xt drivetrain and Marzocci forks

Submitted by nuttah a Weekend Warrior from Simi Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2011

Strengths:    Easy in and out. Bomb proof

Weaknesses:    after 10+ years, I haven't found one yet

Bottom Line:
I have riden with these pedals for 10+ years after I broke my SPD 747 pedals. Very easy to get in and even easier to get out. In SoCal after a rain storm, I rode in the muddiest of conditions. My shoes and pedals were completely caked in mud. I was able to get in and out with ease. By far the best pedals out there. I have riden the SPD models and these are so much better. Outside of being the more popular pedal type, I am not sure why anyone would ride SPDs. I went thru 3 pairs before I went ATAC.

Favorite Trail:   Not Sure Yet

Purchased At:   Don't Remember

Similar Products Used:   SPD 747, several SPD knock-offs

Bike Setup:   Sette Ace with old school '98 Z1BAM sront shock.

Submitted by fetus19 a Cross Country Rider from Detroit MI

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2011

Strengths:    I bought a set of these pedals when Time first came out with them over 10 years ago. I've abused the hell out of these things and they're still on my bike today! This is by far the most durable pedal I've owned. It's contruction makes clipping in and out a breeze. and the molded shell around the pedal internals makes it indestructable!

Bottom Line:
Durable! Well worth the money

Favorite Trail:   Phils Trail, OR