Home | Reviews | Pedal | Time

4.03/5 (285 Reviews)

Time Alium

Submitted by Tom a Racer from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2008

Strengths:    Clips in first time every time, no matter what angle you try clip in from. Very positive feel never leaving you with any doubt of engagement. Easy disengagement

Weaknesses:    Weigh about a ton

Bottom Line:
I have tried other pedals but Ive always come back to these. they just cant be faulted apart from their weight. I tried to destroy them for an excuse to buy the TIME carbon pedals but I failed until recently, when doing maintenance I stripped the plastic cap on the end of the spindle. This was probably a cheap fix but it was the excuse I was looking for. I only give it 4 flamin' chillis because of its excessive weight, but to be honest it isnt noticable.

(For anyone wondering how I did it, the recess the allen key/ hex wrench fits into was full of mud but I tried to undo it anyway...)

Favorite Trail:   Flying Nun

Similar Products Used:   most of the shimano range and crank bros

Bike Setup:   2008 Marin Mount Vision Pro

Submitted by dsnow23 a Cross Country Rider from Mill Valley, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2008

Strengths:    Easy entry, low maintenance, no problems in mud, last forever.

Weaknesses:    Not as light as some of the competitors.

Bottom Line:
These are the best pedals for cross country riding I've ever used by far. Clipping in and out is couldn't be easier.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs Point

Purchased At:   internets

Similar Products Used:   shimano 646, Koss, platforms, etc.

Bike Setup:   Ibis szazbo.

Submitted by formulaone33 a Cross Country Rider from Tampa, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2008

Strengths:    Dead reliable, great in mud, easy to clip in and out.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy.

Bottom Line:
My wife got these pedals with her Jamis Dakota and loved them. I needed a new set of pedals for my HT bike so I though I would check them out. They are great. Very positive engagement and release. They are a little heavy but I really don't care on this bike. Price Point has them for $60 so the price was right.

If you want a set of pedals that just plain work and you will never have to worry about them, get these.

Favorite Trail:   Santos Trail Network

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Onza Clipless, Shimano SPD 535 and 747 pedals,

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpy Comp HT.

Submitted by smokey422 a Cross Country Rider from MO

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2008

Strengths:    Durability! Mud clearance, good platform to pedal when not clipped in (like starting out on a hill).

Weaknesses:    Difficulty in releasing until I modified the cleats.

Bottom Line:
I had a bad experience with these pedals when I first got them. Got crossrutted in a technical section, couldn't release the right pedal and fractured my tibia. After I got recuperated, I looked at the shaved cleats at Speedgoat and modified my own and also dremeled a little off the soles of my shoes. MUCH better release!

The durability of these pedals has been incredible. I've had them six years and the bearings are still going strong, have done nothing to them. They are good mud pedals, although I try to stay off the trails when they are muddy sometimes there will be muddy creek crossings and bogs.

I am rating at five flamers for value because they have been so durable. Four flamers overall because of the stock cleats but if modified they move up to five.

Favorite Trail:   Landahl

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   Shimano and Wellgo SPDs, Egg Beater originals (not recommended).

Bike Setup:   Fisher HT, SRAM 9.0 drivetrain, Panaracer XC pros.

Submitted by Allan MacIntosh a Cross Country Rider from Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2008

Strengths:    Amazingly reliable, very solid, easy in/out
This is my 2nd year with them, no problems whatsoever and they were used 2 years before I even got them! Extremely worn down now still work great though.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, I'll live with that though considering how solid and reliable they are.

Bottom Line:
Reliable. Solid. Those are two words that describe them perfectly.
They're the type of thing were you never have any trouble with, the always work great.

Favorite Trail:   Maddie's Madness - Fitzpatrick Mountain

Purchased At:   Got them from a used bike my Dad got

Similar Products Used:   Cheap Wellgo clipless

Bike Setup:   '04 GT i-drive 2.0, RS Psylo, pretty much stock.

Submitted by Eric Z a Weekend Warrior from Bay Area, CA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2008

Strengths:    Built to last and most importantly...NO Accidental Release!

Weaknesses:    Maybe heavy? But hey, their metal not plastic.

Bottom Line:
I ride a SS 29er and the most important thing for me is not to experience any accidental release. I've been on 10 rides so far and not one accident. I have Shimano on my other bike and I wouldn't dare use them with my single speed. If your looking for pedals that are simple, tough, cheap and without any surprises....these are for you.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Rita SS 29er

Submitted by mark Lyndon a Weekend Warrior from NZ

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2008

Strengths:    Easy and consistent engagement/release.
Quality bearings
Bullet proof

Weaknesses:    Slight weight penalty for soiled design

Bottom Line:
Brought these 2nd hand 6 yrs ago, have road them hard and have never had a problem.

Have worn the bars flat, but they still going strong.
I brought some candy SL's to replace them for a change and cause EVERY one else had them wellr they crapped out after 2 rides and looked like they wouldnt last much longer sold them and brought a pair ot Time Z for a go.

Bootom line:
Great pedal, super smooth bearings even after 6 yrs,
Reallly good engagement consistent even in mud.

I would recommedn these to any trail rider as they very solid and reliable, if you want to save weight naybe the composite body ones would be the go but the bodys may not take the same beating.

I will try the Time Z's out and give a review after a while. Tehy felt really nice under foot on my test ride around the block, if too much pedal for me will get some more Atac Aluminiums.

Favorite Trail:   Wattles, Hot X Buns, Gunna Gotta

Purchased At:   E Bay

Similar Products Used:   Crank Bros Cand SL's (Crap), Reline Flats Nice bearings

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575 Enduro race

Submitted by Stuart a Cross Country Rider from Liverpool, United Kingdom.

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2008

Strengths:    price and toughness

Weaknesses:    needed to cut some of the tread off my shimano shoes to get them to click out. Paint soon disapears

Bottom Line:
I am a serial pedal killer ive never got a pair of pedals to last more than a year before they fell to pieces but these times are spinning nice and smooth after 8 months of the wettest weather i have ever known. I havent serviced them or in fact done anything other than hose the mud off them and squirt a bit of water dispersant on them.

Once I had taken a craft knife to my shoe treads I have never been stuck in the pedals however muddy it was and the only time I couldnt get to click in was when I had clay jammed into the cleat pocket it just took a couple of hard stamps to get in.

I have only given 4 chillis for overall because the paint wears off 1st time you get muddy so they look slightly shabby but otherwise cant be faulted

Favorite Trail:   penmachno north wales

Purchased At:   chainreaction cycles

Similar Products Used:   shimano 636 and 545,wellgo and crank bros candy

Bike Setup:   On-One scandal
rock shox reba forks
mavic crossmax wheels
shimano crankset, gears and brakes
maxxis ignitor front bontrager mud rear tyres

Submitted by bill from broomfield

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2007

Strengths:    Easy in and out. High quality for the price.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy. Paint scratches off, why do they paint these things anyway?

Bottom Line:
These things work great! Easy to find and clip in to and release just before you embarass yourself at the stop light. Great on street and trail. They are high quality and smooth as silk. If you are a gram freak buy the carbons. If you want pretty don't bother they look well-used after the first few rides.

Favorite Trail:   front range colorado

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2007

Strengths:    - solid and durable
- looks cool
- tons of float
- very secure (you won't unclip accidentally)
- satisfying click when clipping in :-)

Weaknesses:    - no spring tension adjustment (some view it as a + though)
- heavy
- slightly tricky to clip into

Bottom Line:
It's a nice solid pedal for a great price. I really love the generous float and the 13 degree release angle (switching the cleats can give you a 17 degree release angle if you prefer).

Purchased At:   Cyclepath at Yonge & Bloor, Toronto

Similar Products Used:   platforms, clips + straps

Bike Setup:   Specialized Tricross Comp

Submitted by Ken a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2007

Strengths:    Solid feel, positive action, adjustable float, easy out.

Weaknesses:    Weight.

Bottom Line:
It's heavy, it's darn freaking heavy. On the other hand, it's solid, darn solid. I was getting annoyed at some of the flex and feel out of some of the other clipless pedals I've ridden over the years. My bike is light enough that an extra half pound is a small price to pay to have pedals I can really trust. Other than the grips and seat, these suckers have more to do with comfort and feel than any other part on the bike. It's a good solid pedal, not a great one, but you get what you pay for.

Favorite Trail:   Olympic

Purchased At:   Gift

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SPD, Eggbeaters

Bike Setup:   '04 Santa Cruz Blur, XT brakes/drivetrain, Mavic rims, Hope hubs, Fox rear, Reba Team fork, Thomson and Race Face hardware

Submitted by Jeremy a Weekend Warrior from Pembroke Pines, Fl, USA

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2007

Strengths:    Very durable...very cool looking...nice decently thick platform. cost was nice.

Weaknesses:    From what other's say, weight...but this doesn't bother me.

Bottom Line:
I got really into this 6 months ago, and finally got the nuts to clip into pedals. I got a great deal for these pedals and some element shoes. I love it and didn't find it too difficult to pop out of the shoes. I fell twice yesterday but on stupid slow stuff...nothing that hurt too badly. To anyone new...i would highly recommend them. Also, banged into plenty of rocks and they seem to take plenty of abuse!

Purchased At:   pricepoint...included sette mtb shoes

Similar Products Used:   just flat pedals and regular shoes.

Bike Setup:   07 stumpy expert.

Submitted by Trek Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Flint, MI USA

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2007

Strengths:    Everything, a bit heavey, but bullet proof. Adjustable...just pop off the cover on the edge of the pedal.

Weaknesses:    ???

Bottom Line:
I bought these along with the Sette shoes. Torquing the bike through hell is a breaze. I've ridden these in snow, slush, mud, all kinds of crap with out fail. If you are looking for a solid pedal system look no further, if you want t cool name, go have breakfast.

Favorite Trail:   Dirt

Purchased At:   Price Point

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Omaha, NE, US

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2007

Strengths:    -Bulletproof
-Can cake em full of mud and have no prob clipin in
-Can be tuff to clip out of if ur a noob

Weaknesses:    -heavy
-lack of adjustability
-if there was a neuclear war the only thing to survive would be cockroaches and my times.

Bottom Line:
I rode these for 5 years on my old y-5 and never even looked at them. Never a drop of oil or even a cleaning. They always worked and that is exacly what I look for in a component.
They are bulky looking and fairly heavy but they are absolutly bomb-proof. Also if you want adjustability go with the Ataks.
The day I bought my new bike I gave the shop back the SID and bought a brand new pair of em. Highly recomended product.

Favorite Trail:   Swanson