Syncros Mental Pedal

• 12mm needle bearing
  • Grease ports
  • Curved foot bed
  • Replaceable cleat-style traction pins
  • Investment cast stainless steel webbed pedal body

Submitted by moutnbiker a Downhiller from Hampton, VA

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2010

Strengths:    STRONG, tons of grip in ALL conditions from sloppy mud to super dry.

Weaknesses:    heavy, retail is expensive so get them on sale.

Bottom Line:
These pedals are in my opinion, the strongest and have the most grip out of any pedal out there. I would only recommend that ship protection be used with these because they will take pieces from your leg. They even come with a Warning sticker on them. These Pedals are so strong that I smashed then on a bolder at high speed and my crank arm was twisted and bent to sh*t, and even ripped from the insert. Not a single thing was damaged on the pedal.

Favorite Trail:   Ninja Bob @ snowshoe

Purchased At:   Jensonusa

Similar Products Used:   POS 50/50's, xpedo, other flats

Bike Setup:   09 Giant Reign XO. Ride this bike for EVERYTHING from DH to XC

Submitted by stevenator a Downhiller from fresno,ca. 93710

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2010

Strengths:    bad ass grippy pedals. strong!!

Weaknesses:    i wear 661 shin guards but i caught my calf doing some serious damage.(no stitches though)

Bottom Line:
thes pedals kick ass! i wear 5-10's and the combo wont let you get off sometimes. they are the grippiest pedals ive ever owned. those pins will get in the back of your head if you let them. all you have to do is learn to ride it out and f@#$ fear.
they're a little expensive but i think well worth it.

Purchased At:   universal cycles

Similar Products Used:   50/50's, big earls, xpedo's ect.....

Bike Setup:   trek session 88 fr. for the most part the bike is out of the box stock. ive changed the seat the pedals(mentals) the handlebars to easton monkeylite, and the seatpost to easton. im saving up for some industry nine wheels.

Submitted by Amish Car Fanatic a Downhiller from Boulder, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2009

Strengths:    The stainless steel version is literally indestructible. I have bashed these things against boulders at speed and have expected most of the claws to be obliterated only to find that they are barely scratched. Theres another review saying that they look new even after significant riding, this is true.

Weaknesses:    Heavy (ish)
~400g if im not mistaken

Bottom Line:
stainless steel pedals that look like they can take a bite out of your shin (and they will), this translates to A - MA - ZING grip.

bombproof

but a little pricey, if you find some below 150 BUY BUY BUY

Favorite Trail:   Jones Downhill

Purchased At:   amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   Primo supertenderizers (crazy design, crazy grip) , Wellgo (mid range, decent)

Bike Setup:   08 Giant Reign x2, Hayes Stroker Aces, mentals, rest stock.

Submitted by daisycutter a Downhiller from NYC

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2008

Strengths:    The strenght of these pedals is amazing. I have hit these on rock,trees,logs and they look nearly new. I inject these with grease about once amoth to keep them smooth. I have had no issues with them

Weaknesses:    none yet except price

Bottom Line:
Great perchase love them have them on both my m1s

Favorite Trail:   Plattekill

Purchased At:   raceredge bk ny 718-

Similar Products Used:   atomic trail kings sloppy pedals that look god but perform poorly and don't get me started abou there service.

Bike Setup:   M1 with fox 40, gustav brakes sain cranks hadley hubs on 729 rims deaity bars nevegal tires

Submitted by brandonmarkovetz a Weekend Warrior from Bettendorf, IA

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2008

Strengths:    positive reviews

Weaknesses:    poor tolerance in the bearings

Bottom Line:
I have only had these pedals for about a month. Actually I am on my third set so I haven't had much time to ride them. I bought them because I wanted the most durable pedal I could buy. They had good reviews so I tried them. After putting about 150 miles on them, just on paved bike trails to and from school, I noticed some substantial play on the end by the crank. I called Syncros directly and asked them what was going on. They told me this was absolutely not normal and that I should send them in for warranty. Well I am on my third set now and all of them have been the same, the second set was even binding. Now Syncros tells me that they have never had a set fail and if they do they will replace them. Time will tell if they hold up or not, but with about .5mm to 1mm of play at the crank end of the pedal I don't see how the seal can do it's job in keeping grit out. I guess I just expected more from this company and its highly touted product.

Favorite Trail:   Sunderbruck

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   other flats

Bike Setup:   06 Brodie BigShot

Submitted by Lucas Mucas a Weekend Warrior from NYC

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2007

Strengths:    Nice wide platform, awesome mud-push through, grippy grippy pins.

Weaknesses:    MINE CRACKED

Bottom Line:
I was really into the mentals for a while but ended up cracking the thin webbing of the pedals on the right side. They were great for a while, and were very grippy and provided a large surface, but they're just too milled out to take repeated large impacts. Maybe I should learn to coast through the rockgardens, huh?

It would be a good XC pedal I suppose.

Favorite Trail:   highbridge

Purchased At:   fleabay!

Similar Products Used:   Jackshots (sucked), BMW shinburgers (soooo sooo grippy), lotsa wellgos

Bike Setup:   toomany

Submitted by Jon a Cross Country Rider from MA

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2007

Strengths:    diesel pedals. short or long set screws work well in all conditions. never stop gripping. seemingly indestructable

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
absolutely awesome pedals. i have never used clipless pedals, but these are by far the best pedals i ever used. endless grip. also very serviceable.

for those who are gram-o-phobs go buy something uber expensive with a ti axle. you don't buy these with weight in mind, and their weight doesn't bother me one bit. i'm 185lb.

if you want something that is indestructable and won't quit... buy these. they'll last longer than i will. and i ride hard. word.

Favorite Trail:   your mom

Purchased At:   the ebay.

Similar Products Used:   wellgo flats, triple traps

Bike Setup:   sinister dna team, race face, sram, hayes hydro, dj1, holy rollers and a set of gazzi jr's. rollin on 24's

Submitted by jbob a Downhiller from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2007

Strengths:    -Durable
-Traction

Weaknesses:    -Weight
-Cost

Bottom Line:
Have owned these pedals for 2 years and rode everything from deep mud to dust and never had an issue with slipping off the pedal, especially with the 5.10's. These will take a beating and will still look like new. I do a lot of riding in the Pacific NW and the occasional trip to Whistler and love these pedals. Only flattened one pin, but that is cuz I came down really hard on a rock and I'm 6'4" and 250lbs, so I don't think the average rider will have this problem. If you are looking for a pedal that will last forever and you will never slip off, then this is the pedal to buy. You will probably never have to buy another pedal to replace these. They are pricey but if you save up for them you won't regret it.

Favorite Trail:   sikter gnar

Purchased At:   Fat Tire Farm

Similar Products Used:   kona jack $%^!, 5050x

Bike Setup:   VP-Free, 888, roco WC, SS Mental Pedals, juicy 7's etc...

Submitted by Dave a Downhiller from Whitby

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2006

Strengths:    - absolutely bombproof
- look good
- incredible grip
- very easy to service

Weaknesses:    - expensive
- heavy

Bottom Line:
I have the stainless steel version of the Mental pedals. They're the most durable pedals I've ever seen. I've had them on my DH bike for 2 seasons now, and have bashed them off countless rocks and logs. There's not even a mark on them, and look as good as the day they were new. They're also very easy to service, as the inner pins can be removed to open up grease ports. I always pull them apart to grease them however because it's just as easy. The grip that they have is almost scary. With a good pair of shoes (5.10s) it feels like I'm clipped in, but make sure you wear shin pads, because they'll open you up for stitches if not. They're a little heavy, but on the DH bike, who cares, and they're very expensive.

Similar Products Used:   - Azonic A-Frames (very nice)
- Daredevil (Devinci brand, low quality)
- Snafu BMX (bearings didn't last)

Bike Setup:   '06 Devinci Wilson, Fox 40RC2, DHX5 coil, King/Hadley/MTX wheels, Gustav M with Goodridge lines, e13 SRS, Diabolus cranks, Syncros Mental pedals

Submitted by M.C.tigre a Weekend Warrior from Austin, Tx.

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2006

Strengths:    Magnisium- Shape, Good pin placement. Lifetime Warranty, 2 sets of pins. Long and Short. Sealed bearings, and white.

Weaknesses:    Too soon to tell. Paint comes off too soon.

Bottom Line:
These seem to be realy well made peddles. Time will tell if they hold up or not, but I am taking a chance. Spending this much on peddles is kind of a gamble but I like the shape, I like the feel, The magnisium ones are really light and the small pins that I have in them are not overkill.
I will write a review on these in about 6 months.
So far these are smoothe spinning and the platform is just right. Not too big and Not small at all.

Favorite Trail:   still looking