Sunline V1 Pedal

4.7/5 (10 Reviews)

Sunline V1 Pedal: Concave machined body with traction pyramids for extra grip with or without pins. Large machined chromoly spindle with sealed ball and needle bearings for smooth feel. Includes 10 extra replacement pins.

Submitted by Toby a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2012

Strengths:    Beefy, they grip like a MOFO!! smooth action

Weaknesses:    Watch out for your shins!!

Bottom Line:
amazing pedals

Submitted by 2wheelrevolution a Downhiller from PA

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2011

Strengths:    Grippy, eye-catching looks

Weaknesses:    Heavy, thick, traction teeth and material not durable

Bottom Line:
I'm disappointed in the V-1. Every time I catch a rock the material deforms. Pins come loose or snap easily. 580 grams is on the heavy side. You'd think that would at least make the pedal more durable but that's not the case. Not worth the list price. If you ride somewhere with less rocks and weight doesn't matter, they'll be a good pedal. Grip isn't an issue.

Submitted by ErroneousBee a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2011

Strengths:    Big, grippy, robust, sealed bearings.

Weaknesses:    Possibly even a bit too grippy.

Bottom Line:
Solid grippy platform that keeps the weather out.

Similar Products Used:   Mallets, DMR V8

Bike Setup:   Kona hardtail, XT drivetrain, M775 dual control, Reba race, wheels and stuff.

Submitted by bmxking45 a Weekend Warrior from North Providence

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2011

Strengths:    Wow these things have that GI JOE Kung-Fu grip!

Weaknesses:    Shin Grating prowess

Bottom Line:
When these things are used in conjunction with five ten shoes you might as well be clipped in!! These are by far the grippiest pedals I have ever used!! You do not want to slip these pedals however because I couldnt even imagine what your shins would look like after that catastrophe! Not that they can even be slipped in the first place. These things also have sealed bearings so they should last quite some time with little to no maintenance! If I ever see these things again on chain love I will probably order a couple of pairs because they are that good. Pretty nice looking too with excellent craftsmanship! The pedals do come with replaceable pins too. I have however hit some rocks when pedaling with these which in turned pulled out the pins and the threads came along and I can therefor not put a replacement pin in that spot.

Awesome pedal that I would highly recommend especially if you happen to get lucky and score them on chainlove for dirt cheap!

Favorite Trail:   Lincoln Woods

Purchased At:   chainlove

Similar Products Used:   Primo Meat Tenderizers (BMX pedal)

Bike Setup:   Banshee Rune, Specialized Rockhopper 29er SS

Submitted by crimecrusher a Cross Country Rider from Austin, Texas

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2010

Strengths:    Strong, grip well, good design

Weaknesses:    none yet.

Bottom Line:
Best platform pedals for MTB. Other pedals have pins only and once they get bent or break off you can't replace them most of the time. These pedals have casted spikes to protect the pins so they don't break off and even if they wear down, the casted spikes hold you solid. Rairly slip off and bust my shins. Have used many other products that are cheaper and in the same price range...spend the $100 bucks and you be glad you did.

Favorite Trail:   RHR, Goodwater

Similar Products Used:   Azonic platforms of different kinds

Bike Setup:   2008 Stumpjumper FSR

Submitted by MongoFlight a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2010

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    no such thing here

Bottom Line:
Great product and worth every penny. Today I picked up the pedals and bars and knew as soon as the first turn finished on the cranks that it was money well spent. I wear a size 13 shoe and they are more than sufficient support and traction.

Purchased At:   Sport Chalet

Bike Setup:   Giant Xtc2 29er , Vone Os 28" low rise bars (29er heaven) , Vone pedals...other goodies.

Submitted by Fatman a Cross Country Rider from Feldafing

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2009

Strengths:    1.not clipless 2. everything else

Bottom Line:
First, after 16 years of clipless pedals (Shimano XT, XTR, Time, Frog): I went back to these platform pedals and couldn't be happier. No subconcious fears when things get technical or some astigmatic loony behind a steering wheel is trying to take your life. I feel free again. And you don't loose so much power anyway; well, you can't pull, but you can do anything else down, front, behindwise; and in situations, in which you have to pull to get uphill, I used to go unclicked, anyway (two times chain suck when going very slowly uphill in low gear, nearly fell on the face each time).
Second: very solid product. And the pins have the right length, too (Easton are a bit longer). I'll never get something else. again. Very recommended.

Favorite Trail:   Yes. some

Purchased At:   hibike

Similar Products Used:   Easton Flatboys, Shimano XT,

Bike Setup:   Tank Elite Hardtail, Mavic wheelset, Manitou 2001 X-Vert Super (best fork ever),Shimano XT with exception rear der: SRAM/sachs Quarz DiRT (yea, still going fine!)

Submitted by i ride dh mtb a Downhiller from diablo,nj,usa

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2008

Strengths:    nice worth the money, looks il, light! gripy, STRONG

Weaknesses:    too grippy at times and doesnt come in root beer

Bottom Line:
buy them look dope, good price worth every penny!

Favorite Trail:   stigmata at diablo

Purchased At:   sixsixone.com

Similar Products Used:   crank bros

Bike Setup:   giant faith 2

Submitted by Kierin Brogan a Weekend Warrior from Upper Rissington

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2008

Strengths:    GRIP, GRIP, GRIP! Awesome looks, incredibly smooth bearings, just feels like a quality product.

Weaknesses:    Absolutely none.

Bottom Line:
After getting fed up with V8's going slack after a fairly short amount of time (no matter how much I greased them up!) I decided it was time to splash a bit more cash and get some decent pedals. I considered lots of options and when I went to pick up my new bike I saw these on the shelves and they looked sweet. They just scream quality in they way they are machined, and the arrangement of the pins shows a lot of thought went into the design. The axels spin beautifully with absolutely no play whatsoever. I was sold and have been out on several rides since. Paired up with my Adidas Berms I haven't known grip like it since my days of SPD's. They've already been smashed off a few rocks and have very little in the way of scratches to show for it. So far very impressed....

Favorite Trail:   Leckhampton Hill

Purchased At:   AW Cycles

Similar Products Used:   DMR V8's

Bike Setup:   2007 Norco Six 2, Manitou Travis single clamp forks, Avid Code brakes, Sunline V One pedals, Oury lock-ons.

Submitted by Ryan Nolan a Racer from Spring City

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2008

Strengths:    Super Smooth Bearings,Best grip of any pedal I have ever used, very durable

Bottom Line:
Best pedals ever I have ever had, the most grippy pedal I have ever used by far. I live on the east coast and there are more wet races than dry ones and the bearings still feel as smooth as the day the pedals were new.(after a whole season of racing) I used to have trouble with pins ripping out of the pedal but I have only lost one pin the whole year and it was easily replaced with the supplied 10 extra pins.

Favorite Trail:   Stage Coach

Similar Products Used:   Tioga platform, Azonic A frame, Many different welgo pedals.

Bike Setup:   06 V10, Boxxer WC, XO, Code, Holzfeller, Sunline

WTB: Fargo V1 fork

I already posted a Wanted ad in the classifieds, but in case not everyone checks there... I'm looking for a V1 Fargo for a rigid 29er I'm envisioning. Ideally, black, 55mm rack, with a good amount of steerer tube left... but let me know what you have. My project idea: I'm trying to recreate the e ... Read More »

BB Stinger on v1.5 Nomad

Is the chain destined to rub on the Stinger BB support arm when using the truvativ cranks? Do I bend the support arm? Spacer between the cranks and BB? Thanks again.Read More »

Avalanche modified Dhx 5 air on a V1 Nomad? Monarch RT3?

I'm considering sending the DHXa shock on my 2008 v1 Nomad to Avalanche to be rebuilt and converted to their SSD damping system. Is this worth doing or should I buy something newer like a Vivid air or Monarch plus shock? Also, would a Monarch RT3 from a 2011 Nomad work alright on the V1 Nomad. ( ... Read More »

My New-Used Paradox V1

I posted this on the 29er forum, but wanted to say hey here also. I emailed Banshee for some build specs on it and they were pretty cool about getting back to me, a good start. The frame was sitting all forlorn in the basement of a local forum member, he never liked the fit. When I mentioned I was ... Read More »

Bandersnatch v1?

Anyone know what year this Vassago Bandersnatch is? It has extra buttressing where the downtube meets the headtube. Is the geometry is the same as the most recent model (aside from the tapered headtube and curved stays)? In particular, anyone know the head angle on this version. [ATTACH=CONFI ... Read More »