Sun-Ringle Zu-Zu Pedal

4.2/5 (93 Reviews)

Beveled cage provides better support andTraction for your downhill or jumping needs. This item includes 2 pedals (enough for one bike). Weight: 565 grams Material: Aluminum w/ Replaceable Pegs, CroMo Axle, Sealed Cartridge Bearings Colors: Black

Submitted by Jon Richards

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2014

Strengths:    Cheap
Somewhat durable

Weaknesses:    Thick and bulky
Heavy
Not as strong as you would expect

Bottom Line:
I bought these for my secondary mtnbike which is usually my loaner and backup. Put them on it last summer and they seemed to be ok. I let my skinny young cousin ride it. But this summer it needed a tune up so I took it in and one of the pedals was broken. I dont remember where I bought it and its not worth to complain but one of the skinnier platform edges cracked in half in a downward fashion. Im not sure how it broke and its probably not a typical product flaw but it sucks so Im writing it up.

Submitted by Cormac a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2012

Strengths:    solid build, grippy

Weaknesses:    heavy

Bottom Line:
good pedal for the price and your feet won't slide around. But if they do slide off because of a bad landing...your shins are gonna be mince meat! They are heavy, however built like a tank I'd expect the extra weight. I went to clipless pedals after only about 6 months or so with these. I don't plan to sell em though. They work great and will go on my spare bike whenever I get one. Would be good to put on a DJ bike if ever I decide to build one...

Favorite Trail:   Rum Village

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano PD-M540

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Trail SL4 29er SS

Submitted by ggilings a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2012

Strengths:    Cheap, grippy and strong

Weaknesses:    Thick and uses bushing.

Bottom Line:
I bought these to try flat pedals. I don't even have sticky soled shoes, but my feet never slipped off. Great pedal for $35.00

Favorite Trail:   The whole enchilada

Purchased At:   jensonusa

Bike Setup:   Stumpy evo, adidas samba shoes

Submitted by aldenatore661 a Weekend Warrior from Indian Hills, Co, US

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2011

Strengths:    Cheap product that looks pretty good

Weaknesses:    These are one of the worst pedals I have ever rode on. I have rode on two different pairs of shoes just to make sure it was not the shoes. Don't let all the studs on these pedals fool you. I haven't had these for too long but every ride I have gone on, I pedal slip at least 2 or 3 time. One thing is for sure though when you pedal slip it sure does dig into your leg. These pedals have terrible traction.

Bottom Line:
If your looking for a pedal that is well priced, looks like it will stick to your shoe like glue, and don't mind bloody legs at the end of the day, then these are the pedals for you.
I never write reviews on anything, I am just so disappointed in these pedals that I feel I need to share my thoughts.

Favorite Trail:   any mountain with steep hills

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   50/50 crankbrothers, welgo, shimano etc.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Nomad, 1x9 setup, azonic outlaw wheelset, juicy 5 brakes, lyrik fork, fox dhx 5 air shock, etc.

Submitted by baggiesonly a Weekend Warrior from Ohio

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2011

Strengths:    Smooth, Sealed,and Great grip.

Bottom Line:
I have these on both of my bikes. Bottome line is they are a great pedal for the money and are easily to tear down and service after months of dirty, wet pounding. I have been truly satisfied with the way my feet stay on the pedals on some of the roughest sections of trail I ride weekly. Great product!

Favorite Trail:   Tsali

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Bike Setup:   Rock Hopper Sl Pro 29
Trek 6500

Submitted by eric-the-red a Racer from Las Cruces, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2010

Strengths:    Great feel, and ergonomics, grip your feet well, I use them for cross country and have made the podium at 3 races and cant speak to their quality enough, thats right, no clipless.

Weaknesses:    Cant think of any

Bottom Line:
Good price, great seals and good quality bearings, correct shape for your foot and inspire a little more confidence than other pedals I have used. I have used these pedals for a couple years now and are still as smooth as the day I bought them, and they rebuild easily on top of it all, if it is ever needed.

Favorite Trail:   Dona Ana's

Purchased At:   Chain Driven Bike Sh

Similar Products Used:   All types of other pedals

Bike Setup:   Cross country hardtail, XT group.

Submitted by Beatitup a Weekend Warrior from Orlando Florida

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2009

Strengths:    Grip is great. strong enough to take good hits and be just fine.

Weaknesses:    Bearing life for me. Six mounths and one (right side ) is now toasted.

Bottom Line:
Great! while they lasted for price paid performance is great just really really wish they would have lasted longer! Trail riders buy 'em

Favorite Trail:   Snowhill

Similar Products Used:   Wellgo, specialized.

Bike Setup:   29er hardtail tora race fork x.7 everything juicy fives and wtb wheels mountain king 2.2s

Submitted by jtp400 a Cross Country Rider from Peabody

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2008

Strengths:    grippy,strong, decently light, look pretty ill on my bike

Weaknesses:    none really, if you do manage to somehow slip them they kill

Bottom Line:
when i first bought this i was a little worried cuz iv never used any sun-ringle gear before but this pedals are friggen kickass. They grip and are very tough. iv smashed them off all kinds of stuff and there still complety fine.
also they look sick on the bike.

Favorite Trail:   lynn woods

Similar Products Used:   too many to even list

Bike Setup:   09 specacialized rockhopper comp disc

Submitted by Colbster a Downhiller from Menlo Park, California, USA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2008

Strengths:    Grippy durable strong cheap!!!

Weaknesses:    They turn ur calfs into ground beef

Bottom Line:
These pedals work great. Stick to any skate shoes like glue. I have heard from some people that they break if you hit them on rocks but thats ok cause there cheap as dirt! Also they cut up the back of ur legs just happened to me it kinda looks like I got clawed by a bear! Great for downhill, freeride, or even cross country.

Favorite Trail:   Live Wire

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Bikes

Bike Setup:   03' norco launch

Submitted by kso a Weekend Warrior from san leandro CA

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2008

Strengths:    pretty cheap and it is very durable. only has scratches that dont affect it at all.

Weaknesses:    the grip is okay and it is not super compared to easton flatboy's. the grip could be better

Bottom Line:
its a great pedal and it is still working like new. there are no problems other than i am not satisfied with the grippyness. once i used easton flatboys, the easton pedals were about 30% more grippy which is alot and they hurt way more if they hit your shins. overal its a good pedal for the money considering the eastons are almost double the price.

Favorite Trail:   anything

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   easton flat boys, wellgo stock

Bike Setup:   trek4300 hardtail

Submitted by Alex from Cary, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2007

Strengths:    Strong
Cool looks
Light?

Weaknesses:    I like em, my shins beg me for less painful ones

Bottom Line:
These pedals are great, especially considering how cheap they are. Definitely stronger pedals out there though. Considering getting funn souljam vipers.

Favorite Trail:   Regency, baby!

Similar Products Used:   pssh.. stock wellgoes

Bike Setup:   azonic ds1 multispeed dj/ds setup

Submitted by Owen Hatt a Weekend Warrior from Saint John

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2007

Strengths:    Strong, Very Grippy, and they're quite large which is great for people with big feet like me. The studs don't seem like they'd break very easily at all.

Weaknesses:    Definatley not quite as grippy when they're wet. They can cut you up quite easily...

Bottom Line:
I have only been on these pedals for a few weeks, but so far I love em. The guy I bought them from quite literally told me that if they hit your shins hard, they're going to rip flesh from bone. So either suck it up and get a few scars (plus carry a first aid kit)...or wear shin guards. Besides that I'm really happy with these for the price. I've banged these off a few rocks quite hard and the most that happened was the black paint chipped off a bit. The studs seem really tough.

Favorite Trail:   Rockwood Park

Purchased At:   Bike Works

Similar Products Used:   Stock metal pedals

Bike Setup:   2007 Kona Blast

Submitted by marc ferrara a Downhiller from roseville, ca

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2006

Strengths:    cheap, sealed, grippy

Weaknesses:    WEAK, first ride, clipped on a rock and ripped the pedal nearly in half. CHEAP potmetal

Bottom Line:
If you're playing around town and don't plan to ride offroad, jump, or anything of that sort these pedals are great for the money. If you are serious at all dont plan on them lasting long at all. I wasnt even missing a stinkin stud, the whole perpendicular section to the bike on one end of the pedal ripped off. rediculous. but now sun ringle is giving me some MAG OCTANE's for 30bucks

Purchased At:   bought through khs

Similar Products Used:   I used my stock specialized platforms for 3 years untill the bearings roasted. Have ridden MANY pedals.

Bike Setup:   03 big hit comp, mrp chainguide mostly stock setup

Submitted by Wankpuss from Madison, WI

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2006

Strengths:    very durable, to me. ( i've got the mosh one's so it might be different)

Weaknesses:    i think i might have broke the axle. it's sliding around alot.
16 stitches worth of battle wounds

Bottom Line:
awsome pedals. really durable for 2 years of heavy use. really wonderful at ruining your shins.

Purchased At:   the store... duuuh