Sun-Ringle CNC Octane Mag Pedal

• 9/16" Chromoly Spindle
  • Sealed Cartridge Bearings

Submitted by Shazam a Weekend Warrior from Rochester, NY

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2011

Strengths:    Light, look great, beefy, replaceable studs

Weaknesses:    They will cut you!

Bottom Line:
These pedals are awesome. I've had them for 3 years now, and they still look great. I busted out a stud on a rock last season, and just put in a set-screw that fit. Works great! These are very light, you can take them apart to grease the bearings, and just last through everything. Only downfall is that the studs are very sharp. They'll cut the soles of your shoes, so be wary if you are just messing around in some regular shoes and not in your riding gear.

Purchased At:   Sale Rack

Similar Products Used:   Azonic something anothers, CrankBrothers 50/50

Bike Setup:   '08 RM Element

Submitted by stanga5o a Cross Country Rider from Mass.

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2009

Strengths:    grippy, nice looking, light, wide platforms

Weaknesses:    none yet...or ever I hope

Bottom Line:
Just bought the bike which came with CB smarty clipless pedals (which I rode the first 5 times on with the plastic platforms you can clip in which was pretty stupid). I wanted platforms so I reviewed these here and they were much cheaper than the Specialized LoPros I was going to get. They grip really nice, even with my worn out running sneakers! Smooth bearings, nice and wide. I bashed my shin a long time ago on my BMX with similar ones so I'm gonna buy some shingaurds when the funds are there. Hope they last

Purchased At:   PRICEPOINT

Bike Setup:   08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp

Submitted by swmarc a Cross Country Rider from Kelso,WA

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2009

Strengths:    Good looking
Griptastic
Smooth bearings

Weaknesses:    packs dirt and mud easily can cause a bit of sliding around but comes out with a good whack.

Bottom Line:
Awesome petals at and awesome price. I would recommend these to a friend without any hesitation...

Favorite Trail:   Harmony

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   stock pedals(bleh)

Bike Setup:   Giant Yukon 06

Submitted by LandoCommando a Downhiller from Yup

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2009

Strengths:    Strong, sleek, replaceable pins, grippy

Weaknesses:    Pins only accessible from 1 side for replacement

Bottom Line:
The price is right and they are a great value.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Other pedals?

Bike Setup:   P.2

Submitted by Greg a Downhiller from Cairns

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2006

Strengths:    everything- spins real well, only problem is pins

Weaknesses:    they scratch

Bottom Line:
they are good as, mabye better than my eastons

Favorite Trail:   Kuranda dh/ my place

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   easton flatties

Bike Setup:   intense m1 04 frame with 05 boxxer wc 06 ringle hubs and mavic 729 rims, xt 4 pot calipers and xt levers, mrp chain device, sram x9

Submitted by Zach Reliford a Downhiller from Washington, Illinois, USA

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2005

Strengths:    STRONG. Light for such a strong platform.

Weaknesses:    Not really any weaknesses...

Bottom Line:
These pedals rock. I used them to dirtjump my BMX bike when I felt like going for big air and style instead of low and fast. I am on my second set of pins... I rode them everyday at least 10 miles a day for 4 years. I still run them.. I have one side of the pedal on both pedals with all the pins.. but the other sides are missing a couple. The left pedal is missing 1 and the right one is missing.... 4 or 5. My team is sponsored by Sun Ringle.. at least, when I still raced BMX. I am going to ask for a pair of Zuzu pedals. My cousin rides them on his street 20" and they are in perfect condition. I think if I didn't strip the threads in mine, I could just service the bearings and new pins and they'd be good as new.

Favorite Trail:   Farmdale Reservoir

Purchased At:   Vendor at NBL National

Bike Setup:   2005 Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc w/ 2005 OEM model Dirt Jumper 3, e.13 chainguide, RF Evolve DH crank and RF Evolve FR BB.

Submitted by Rob Diehl a Cross Country Rider from Whidbey Island, WA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2004

Strengths:    Big Stable Platform, Super Grip, Tough and Reliable

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
Last year when I built my new ride, these pedals were the only thing I brought over from my old thrasher. This is my 4th season on them; the bearings are still tight and the pins are still good. They are pretty much indesrtuctable. I ride almost exclusively on technical trails in Western WA. Lots of slick roots, logs to hop, tight turns, mud, etc. I never felt comfortable with the idea of locking my foot to the pedal, so I got these platforms. They grip really good to my riding boots, and I have the freedom to get my foot off if I need to.
And don't believe all the talk of ripping up your leg. I have never used shin guards. After the first time you tear up your shin, you learn how not to do that!

Favorite Trail:   Saratoga/DNR

Purchased At:   Jensen USA

Bike Setup:   Weyless SP 2003 Frame, RockShox Psylo SL Forks, Race Face Prodigy Crank, SRAM 9.0 Shifters & Brakes, Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 Tires.

Submitted by Erik Kellison a Downhiller from Bellingham, WA, US

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2004

Strengths:    Adjustable set screws allow the user to dial the amount of traction (and the amount of shin damage done), good looks, easily servicable and durable!

Weaknesses:    Heavier than quoted

Bottom Line:
I would buy these pedals again, but for me and my lightweight bike, the extra dough is worth getting the magnesium (although I am not sure if that would wear as well as the alloy cages that I have). I just weighed one pedal, and it tipped the scales at 330g, which means that the pair weighs 660g, which is not exactly lightweight. Other than the weight though, I can't imagine a better pedal. I never slip off.

Favorite Trail:   Exit 27

Purchased At:   PricePoint, I think

Similar Products Used:   Primo $25 cheap flat pedals

Bike Setup:   2002 Brodie Diablo, Super T, setup for freeride.

Submitted by Mike Kelso a Racer from Billings, Montana

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2003

Strengths:    Traction is superb, way better than the stock ones from Specialized. Lighter weight, not a big deal but it is nice. Heck the whole pedal is awesome.

Weaknesses:    Not a damn one so far. Except I dont recomend hittin the shins with them.

Bottom Line:
Buy it if you want some killer tration and some lighter weight pedals. Price is a little high but with bikes you get what you pay for.

Favorite Trail:   Ehh...Too many to list

Purchased At:   Direct From Sun

Similar Products Used:   Just the regular ole' Specialized platforms that came with the bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock except I added an MRP Bashguard and an Avid disk brake to the front with the 203mm rotor.

Submitted by Andrew Cohen from Richmond, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2003

Strengths:    Grip, Strength, Don't spin when foot not on them

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Bought the 30 dollar non magnesium pedals from pricepoint. Just slapped them on and they are amazing pedals great grip and held great doing drops behind my house. Going on trail ride soon so hopefully they work out great. Great pedals for anything. But look like they will kill if i slip off.

Favorite Trail:   Powhite Park,Downtown Richmond