Speedplay Frog Ti Pedal

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)
Weight : 206 grams MSRP : $109.49

The Frog Titanium is the superlight version of Speedplay's widely loved Frog pedal system. Its titanium spindle won't rust, and it allows a set of Frog Ti pedals to weigh in at a feathery 206g.Not just a great off-road pedal system, Speedplay Frog pedals are ideal for road riders who prefer a recessed, walkable cleat. Like their amphibious namesake, Frog pedals are equally at home in dry or muddy terrain. Their unique cleats are virtually immune to clogging with mud or dirt, because debris is pushed out whenever you engage the pedal. This simple mechanism also puts an end to those infuriating falls caused by gunked-up pedals that won't release. You get out when you want to, and never when you don't. Of course, you also get all the advantages of Speedplay's other innovative designs: knee-friendly, non-centering free float; lightning-fast entry and exit; and phenomenal light weight. Whether you ride a mountain bike, road bike, tandem or 'cross bike, the Speedplay Frog can do it all.Comes standard with a set of G3 Frog cleats and mounting hardware. It's strong, durable, easier to mount and compatible with virtually all two-hole style shoes in the marketplace. Because of the titanium spindle, max rider weight is 185 lbs.Please Note: Due to manufacturer restrictions, we are unable to ship Speedplay products outside the United States.

Submitted by turbocarr a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight, float, function, made in U.S.A.

Weaknesses:    None at this time.

Bottom Line:
On my Epic mountain bike. Just changed from over ten years on Time ATAC's. Went for the change since I've been riding my new mtb more than my road bike since Feb. Was starting to get some knee pain with the ATAC's. Also, since the Epic has the Brain suspension, I was pedaling out of the seat more. Out of the saddle pedaling and/or under intense power my shoes would move around ever so slightly, mosty back and forth. I think it's because of the spring operation. Plus, just the nature of the ATAC, the large platform, the contact point of the soles with the pedals would create some squeeking or noise. I was just use to it until I got the Frogs. Not only are they lighter, they also spin easier due to less seal resistance. I really like the non-centering float. Clipping in and out is effortless. Love the pedals.

Purchased At:   RocknRoad of Orange

Similar Products Used:   SPD, Look ATAC

Bike Setup:   Epic

Submitted by Paul Whitcomb a Weekend Warrior from Stoneham, MA.

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2008

Strengths:    Compact and strong

Weaknesses:    Sealing system could be improved, material for allen nuts that hold pedal body-halves together should be stronger

Bottom Line:
Had them for a few years before I got around to regreasing and resealing them. I donly do about 1-20 miles a week so I thought I could get away with this. The right pedal got some sand inside it, so I tried to take it apart. The 2.5mm allan wrench stripped the hex heads on the bolts that hold the top and bottom of pedal together.

Favorite Trail:   Moose Run, Wellington State Park

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   VP

Bike Setup:   2001 Raleigh M80.

Submitted by Phok Iou a Cross Country Rider from Northpole

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2007

Strengths:    Simplicity
Ease of I/O
Lightweight
Easy on the knees

Weaknesses:    Expensive ?

Bottom Line:
I've used Speedplays on my road bike first ( have them for 16 years ! )
then I tried the Frogs. Didn't have to adjust , I was used to the "ice" feeling.

I often ride on snow and mud and they are very good at this , no mechanical involved, easy to In/Out.
I own 4 pairs of frog , one on each bike. Changed the bearings every few years and the cleat every year or so.
Depending on your shows, the cleat will get chewed if there is not very much rubber. The cleat is a bit thick so your cleat will have more life if you choose a thicker sole on your shoe. If not , change the cleat every year and all is good.

Very very recomended. If yo guys like the foge , you will love the X road!!
and vice versa......

Similar Products Used:   SPD

Bike Setup:   HT , SS ,

Submitted by Aaron a Cross Country Rider from Arroyo Grande, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2006

Strengths:    Light weight (211 grams on my digital scale). Simple setup. Easy on the knees. Quick and easy engagement and disengagement. Durable.

Weaknesses:    Not inexpensive. Lack of an audible "click" when engaging.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden by original Ti Frogs for over 5 years, having rebuilt them once and replaced the cleats about once a year. I originally purchased these due to knee pains with my SPDs. The super-light weight also appealled to me. You quickly get used to the "riding on ice cube" feel of the free float and exit is a snap with no spring tension to hold you back. Entry is also very easy as the cleat seems to just "find" the pedal (unlike the Candies I'm currently riding with). I only wish there was more audible feedback upon engagement, but overall an excellent pedal set.

Purchased At:   Art's Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   SPDs and Crank Brother Candies.

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR

Submitted by RJ from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2006

Strengths:    Ease of entry and exit
Bomb Proof
Knee Friendly
SIMPLICITY!!!
Weight

Weaknesses:    Hard to set up
Great Company - Bad instructions and little product support -

Bottom Line:
I'm not usually a huge MTBR fan as too many riders jump to conclusions about products, after one bad experience or using a product for purposes of than intended; however this product warrents a review. I bought these pedals after having minor knee surgery and wanted to reduce stress during healing. The float and slightly reduced Q-Angle were indeed helpful, but unwanted releases, impossible entries, and terrifying releases plagued these pedals from the start and I switched back to my Egg Beaters.

From time to time I would try these pedals again and adjust the cleat screw (G3 cleat) and increase the pressure. It was harder to get in but seemed to hold a bit better. I would still think I was clipped in and suddenly release. The pedals were destined for E-Bay.

I tried making the screw very loose until I had a friction free feeling. I could then just step down like a normal pedal and click I was in. They were effortless. I read an MTBR review about using door ease stick lub and this further helped performance. Turning the screw a fraction can drastically change how the pedals function and THIS IS KEY!! Effortless entry=effortless exit. Once you have that down you've got a great pedal. Now it's time to get used to the float and concentrate on good pedaling technique.

Now I use these pedals exclusively and am very happy. I was always a bit nervous riding along edges, super technical situations, steep uphill switchbacks, and rock gardens lined with cactus and rattlesnakes, since even the best pedals like Egg Beaters or Times had once and a while let me down on slow speed exiting. Releasing and entering are now effortless and reliable and have actually improved my confidence, riding, and sore knee.
I have not used them in any real mud, snow, or east coast conditions so I can't say how well or poor they shed.

Great product, but you need to tune them and Speedplay should stop thinking that the screw is factory set. I've helped other Frog owners with the same problems adjust and enjoy their pedals. Froggies also have a strange cult following of elite racers down to beginners that love these pedals, and now I know why.

Favorite Trail:   Ringwood, NJ, Lugano CH, Fruita CO

Similar Products Used:   Egg Beaters, SPDs, Ritcheys, Wellgo, BeeBops, Time

Bike Setup:   Weight Weenie

Submitted by Larry a Racer from Stamford, CT

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have mixed feelings on these pedals. Since they are the only pedals I’ve ever owned it’s hard to compare them with anything else. I’ve ridden on these for 4 years. I use these on both my hardtail to race and FS trail bike. So they have seen everything from 24hr racing to a mild downhilling. I’ve had to replace the bodies 3 times and the cleats twice (I think that’s normal for the area and amount of riding I do). They are very easy to maintain yourself. I like the free floating feel, however sometimes I wish that I had less. I’ve ruined the float stop (the little lip on the pedal that prevents your heal from turning too far) in during a crash. I was a little surprised, but glad that the pedal broke and not my knee. I still rode the pedals for a few weeks until the new bodies delivered and installed. Overall I would have to say I am pretty satisfied with them. They are light, they take lots of abuse and have never completely crapped out on me. The only negative is that it can be tough to get parts if you don’t have a dealer in your area.

Bike Setup:   Klien Attitude Comp and Intense Tracer

Speedplay Frog Ti or Steel

Hi! I am looking at Speedplay Ti or Steel pedals. Any idea where is the best place to buy them? thank you HynekRead More »