Speedplay Frog Pedal Pedal

4.06/5 (491 Reviews)

Speedplay Frog Chrome-Moly Pedal: Not just a great off-road pedal system, Speedplay Frog pedals are ideal for road riders who prefer a recessed, walkable cleat. Like their amphibious namesake, Frog pedals are equally at home in dry or muddy terrain.

Submitted by Darcy a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2013

Strengths:    Good float / easy out

Weaknesses:    Don't know any

Bottom Line:
Hard to find this pedal but worth the hunt

Submitted by turbocarr a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2012

Strengths:    Light, float, simplicity in design, funtionality, low seal drag, easy in and out, made in the U.S.A.

Weaknesses:    Hmmm, none that I can think of at this time.

Bottom Line:
Been using Time ATAC Aluminum for over 10 years on my old 99 FSR. They were worn out! Lot's of play and movement. Never liked Shimano pedals. Too restrictive for me. Picked up a new EPIC several months ago so I decided to upgrade to the ATAC carbon's. Although they worked much better than my old ATAC's, they still felt like.....mountain bike pedals. That is, a bit clunky ("Unrefined") compared to road bike pedals. My biggest complained with mtb pedals, including SPD and ATAC's, is the play or movement I get when out of the saddle pedaling. I'm a 180 sprinter dude, so I'm cranking out some watts. The ATAC's do make noise when under load too, grinding up hill puts those springs to the test. The large platform contributes to the grinding or squeeking with the bottom of the contact points of the sole of the shoes. Although I'm been more of a roadie, I'm fast becoming more of a mountain bikder since purchasing the Epic. I've used Speedplay Zero's) on the road bike for 20+ years. Just purchased a set of Frog Ti pedals and I love them! Very precise operation. No movement, grinding, clicking or squeeking when under load or out of the saddle. The Frogs spin more freely too, with little drag from the o-rings, while the ATAC's have lots of drag due to the tight seals. Out with ATAC's and in with the Frog's. Much more of a road bike pedal feel with an even easier in and out. It's just too bad I didn't switch to Frog's years ago.

Purchased At:   RocknRoad Cyclery -

Similar Products Used:   SPD, Time ATAC's.

Bike Setup:   Specialized EPIC

Submitted by dieter

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2012

Strengths:    Last forever even w/ only yearly grease jobs. use them on road and mtb. racing MTb for 12 yrs. peddals eventually get play in them, but no failures. The float feels good. comes out fast in crashes. don't get stuck to the bike during endos as with others i tried. they work well in mud.

Weaknesses:    had to cut sole on some shoes to fit cleats.

Bottom Line:
the old cleats were adjustable. as they wore after a couple of years you could turn the retainer pins to expose fresh round shaft and-tight again. can also add new rubber under cleat to restore firm clip-in. just bought new bearings from bearing supply. $12 rebuild/set for my old peddals.

Similar Products Used:   shimano

Bike Setup:   specialized 29er X0, Colnago Dura Ace

Submitted by Diane W.

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2012

Strengths:    I love these pedals! The push off foot is a little harder to get clipped in initially but once you get going and let gravity help, they clip in fine. I found when putting pressure on the other foot when pedaling clips me in. I do climbing on regular basis and have not had any issues with slower speeds going uphill and staying clipped in. Clipping out is also a breeze. No knee problems at all!

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any!

Bottom Line:
All in all, in spite of the price, these are great pedals. I will probably only use these from now on.

Submitted by fokof a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2012

Strengths:    Low maintenance , knee friendly , easy clip In/Out , Light , durable ,

Weaknesses:    Have to use with shoes that has enough rubber thickness.
Can't say price 'cause I have them for so long but yeah , cleats are expensive though and I like to change them every two years.

Perfect for extra snow/mud , the fact that it clip while moving forward pushes the mud in the back and doesn't "compress" it like "push on it" systems.

Bottom Line:
I have those since they came out ( 10 years ? ) put grease every once in a while , that's it. Never had to change the bearings yet.
Can't conceive going to other brand wich feels so "locked in"
Have to get used to the "feet on ice" feeling but once you get it , you dig it.

If setup correctly , you never disengage alone like others mentioned , they didn't installed their cleats correctly.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Submitted by Bodeen a Weekend Warrior from Germany

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2011

Strengths:    None that I can think of. I mean, for Christ's sake, the casing is made of plastic.

Weaknesses:    Where do I even begin... Cleats would not stay engaged. Just yesterday I went on a slow ride with a buddy of mine, I must have came unclipped several dozen times. The worst is while trying to get uphill when your shoe comes unclipped. It's just about enough to make you lose control, not to mention losing forward momentum...by that point you're pretty much forced to dismount and walk the rest of the way up the hill.

Bottom Line:
Goin' back to Shimano. Should've just upgraded to some XTRs instead of wasting money on this garbage.

Favorite Trail:   Garmisch

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SPD

Bike Setup:   SS/rigid 29er

Submitted by PATRICK a Cross Country Rider from Saint Germain, WI

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2011

Strengths:    Plenty of float and simplicity

Weaknesses:    Not very durable, a cleat ripped off with just three months use. Also the clip in is problematic and not positve. I use speedplays on my road bike and like them. Used three years before having to replace bearings. I think these pedals were released to production prematurely. Just spent $40.00 + shipping for new housing with cleat. These things may be O.K. for fire road cruising however they are not up to the task for technical mountain bike riding or racing.

Bottom Line:
Speed play needs to go back to the drawing board with these things. Maybe engineer a fix and make available new cleats and pedal housings at minimal cost to people who paid good money for a terribly flawed product.

Favorite Trail:   Copper Harbor Michigan

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Egg beaters, Shimano SPD, Ritchie ( used Ritche's on one bike for over eight years wih absolutely no problem)

Bike Setup:   Specialized 29er Comp, W/ Shram drive train.

Submitted by endo daze a Cross Country Rider from New England

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2011

Strengths:    Super simple and effective design. Clip in and out is effortless, but holds secure when engaged. Float is awesome.

Weaknesses:    Cleats do wear, but cleaning and waxing helps minimize.

Bottom Line:
Have used Frogs for a few years now, and use them on all my bikes off-road and on. Having the float is excellent. Gives you that much more freedom to move in the cockpit. Simple cleating system gives you confidence to get in and out in a flash. Have never popped out accidentally. Scratching my head at some of the others comments about fore-aft movement or popping out when pushing forward -- the cleats engage by pushing forward... Seem durable enough to me, and I like riding rock gardens and babyheads. Wish Speedplay would give them some attention as I'm sure the could be tweaked for the better (have some ideas). Wicked pedal.

Favorite Trail:   All

Similar Products Used:   SPD

Submitted by las-palmas from Las Palmas, Spain

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2011

Strengths:    Knee friendly unlike most other pedals.
Easy in, easy out. Nothing in-between.
Easy maintenance. Grease every few months, more often if you ride more than I do.
Cleats are walk able and last a long time.

Weaknesses:    If you do not consider that they are expensive: NONE!

Bottom Line:
Best pedals I have ever used.
I do not agree that it is difficult to know if you are clipped in or not, the only thing with these pedals that is different than many other (and far inferior pedals) is adjusting the cleat.
And that is not even difficult.
Screw on the cleats, do not tighten, put your shoes on the pedals, turn the shoe so much inward that it almost touches the crank arm, tighten the screws and you are ready to use the most knee friendly pedals I have ever tried.
Shimano, Crank Brothers, are not knee friendly at all, Time is a little bit knee friendly.
The frogs have one problem only and that is the price of them.
If you have knee problem, try them and after getting used to the wonderful free feeling in them you will like me probably never use other pedals.

I am now having the second pair of these pedals (first were stolen with my old Scott Strike Carbon) and if these are worn out before I am my next pair will be a - pair of Speedplay Frogs

Favorite Trail:   all

Similar Products Used:   Shimano
Crank Brothers
Time
(Twenty6 Predators not clipless and can not be compared)

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo, SRAM XO, SMP, Formula R1, RockShox Revelation 20mm, Hope Pro3.

Submitted by Bifuss a Racer from Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2011

Strengths:    Nice free float sensation at first...

Weaknesses:    Incredibly annoying for-aft play hurts my bad knees, come out way to easily, cleats worn after only a few weeks, cleat maintenance is a pain

Bottom Line:
Do not buy. The for-aft play will never be worth the buttery smooth goodness of float--please fix this problem speedplay, and I will then forgive you for my throbbing knees.

Favorite Trail:   Airborne

Purchased At:   Local shop

Similar Products Used:   eggbeaters, time Z

Bike Setup:   Felt Nine Elite

Submitted by rjcarlson49 a Cross Country Rider from TucsonAZ/EugeneOR

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2011

Strengths:    Durability of pedal, weight, float, simplicity, low maintenance

Weaknesses:    Cleat wears a little faster than I would like; probably should be cheaper

Bottom Line:
I am mystified by the people who claim these break constantly and easily. I have 3 sets on my mtn bike, road bike and tandem. My wife has 2 sets. I ride the mtn bike about 75 days a year. I finally had a pedal break the other day after many years of constant use. I had just been thinking that I really ought to replace them as I had not idea how old they were. I'm guessing 7 or 8 years.

I also have no trouble with entry/exit. 6 months in Eugene means I ride often in mud. 6 months in Tucson means I ride often in sand.

Lastly, I suppose it is personal preference, but I don't understand people who don't like float. I find the feeling of my foot being forced to a center to very annoying. Each to his own though.

The release takes getting used to. Without the correct movement you WILL NOT come out. With the correct movement you come out effortlessly. This means until it is second nature you will have FDGB problems in panic releases.

Favorite Trail:   Middle Fork

Similar Products Used:   SPDs, Time ATAC (would not work at all for me),

Bike Setup:   Turner 5-Spot, Talas fork

Submitted by Tom Levkulic a Cross Country Rider from Orwigsburg, PA

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight

Weaknesses:    The pedal

Bottom Line:
Ok, rode spd's forever, built up a new ride lightweight put frogs, could not get used to the no spring retention, a slight ankle jerk and your out, would NOT give up because I spent a small fortune on them, "give um time" well its been 2 plus years...THEY S##K, Santa's bringing me new pedals!

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   SPD's

Submitted by mpowered2 a Weekend Warrior from Holladay

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2010

Strengths:    Easy in and Out, Lite weight and Simple

Weaknesses:    Cleats break

Bottom Line:
The stuff rocks if your a weight junkie. The less I carry and the lighter my bike is makes a big difference on a long, hot day on the rocks. The Speedplay Frog Ti pedals are light and fast to get into but just in case you need to bail they are lightning fast to get out of. The only downside are the shoe cleats. We bike MOAB and the rocks are tough on them. But its a small price to pay when you play hard and if your used to paying the price for Ti play harder.

Favorite Trail:   Poison Spider