Speedplay Frog Pedal Pedal

4.05/5 (496 Reviews)

Speedplay Frog Chrome-Moly Pedal: Not just a great off-road pedal system, Speedplay Frog pedals are ideal for road riders who prefer a recessed, walkable cleat. Like their amphibious namesake, Frog pedals are equally at home in dry or muddy terrain.

Submitted by Craig Hicks a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2015

Strengths:    Worked perfectly on my right foot.

Weaknesses:    Dangerous and painful unwanted release on left foot. Fixed with easy modification using hand drill and table clamp.

Bottom Line:
The Speedplay road cleats "Zero" worked really well for me solving foot, knee and ankle pain throughout a 600k brevet. Finally I undeerstood that especially my left foot naturally has a huge rotation during cycling moving, and shouldn't be forced to stay straight. So I wanted to try the SDP "Frog" version with SDP sandals for summer heat. But my left foot heel kept rotating out to the release position, especially when climbing or sprinting hard, ouch! Called Speedplay customer support but they just told me to add the metal plate under the cleat, which didn't really address the problem.
The problem was solved by adding extra rotation before reaching the heal release position. This is easy to do by rotating the cleat as far as possible before screwing down. BUT - then the left foot was kind of pigeon toed at the other (i.e. non-release) float limit - that would also have been unusable. So I modified the non-release float limit by drilling the limit stops on the pedal (one each side) with a hand drill just enough so that the heel could almost reach the chainstay. The material is black plastic, so is easy to modify. Caution is required because scraping away too much could lead to the pedal releasing in the non-release direction. However, there is plenty of margin and it is easy to do it successfully with a hand drill.

I am sure the pedals are now warranty voided, but I plan to phone customer service and ask anyway.

There is the question of why the "Zero" did not have unwanted release although the "Frog" did, even though the Frog is supposed to have greater float (20 deg vs 17 deg). My guess is it is because (1) there is a little spring to damp movement in the "Zero", but not in the "Frog", and (2) with the Zero I am using road shoes, which are light and tight enough not to swing with the shoe, whereas with the "Frog" I am using sandals, which are heavy and loose enough to swing out further than the foot, especially when the foot's heel makes rapid outward sideways movements.

I would suggest to Speedplay that they make Frog cleats with two version of metal stops, one as present, and one to allow the non-release float to go further. (I modified the pedals, not the cleats, because I don't have equipment to modify metal, and because modifying the pedals once is easier than modifying cleats at every replacement.

After examining the "Frog" system closely, I am fairly certain that, if the cantilever latch is working properly, using the cantilever latch shim if necessary, then unwanted releases can only happen when the cleat is rotated as far as the release angle relative to the pedal. My guess is that 10 deg from center is eight sigma fine (*) for most people (and my right foot) but for others not at all. However, for those others adding just a few degrees more float until release will also put them in the eight sigma zone. It is something Speedplay should consider because unwanted pedal release is really painful and dangerous and causes horrific reviews.

* eight sigma would be one unwanted pedal release about every 250 years of cycling time at 60 rpm cadence.

I'm giving 3 out of 5 only because understanding the shortcomings and making this system usable required a few hours of effort and probably voided the warranty. If Speedplay had addressed this problem so I didn't have to they would have got 5 of 5 from me.

Similar Products Used:   Zero

Bike Setup:   Surly Cross Check

Submitted by Hank a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2015

Strengths:    Lightweight.

Weaknesses:    Not for daily rides. Finicky in clipping in, and far too easy to come undone. If you want reliability, go for the SPD pedals.
I rebuild mine with both the kit for the pedal that comes with new covers for the anchor bracket as well as new cleats for the shoes. At the very first ride, it came loose in the middle of a climb. Not worth trying to save a few grams due to its lightweight, and forfeit reliablility.

Bottom Line:
After trying all kinds of options, finally ordered a set of SPD pedals/cleats and start enjoying riding again instead of suffering the constant frustration of trying to make these pedals work.

Submitted by Garth

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2015

Strengths:    Stupid simple, no springs, no adjustments, lots of float, light. Impossible to blow out of if cleat angle is set correctly.

Weaknesses:    Cannot think of anything other than hard to find.

Bottom Line:
In the 30+ years I have been riding I have tried almost every clipless pedal. I still ride the Frogs I bought in the mid 90's. They last forever. I have replaced one set of cleats in that time. I love the float and the ease in which I can get out of the pedal when needed and never having an accidental release. A previous review said they were constantly releasing on the rider. This is impossible if the cleats are adjusted for the proper foot angle. Work in snow, mud, sand or whatever. Put a couple drops of chain lube on the cleat every now and then to keep the float smooth.

Submitted by mike scheidt

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2015

Strengths:    easy in and light

Weaknesses:    too easy out

Bottom Line:
ruined many a ride with the unwanted lift out

Submitted by Chrispeed

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2015

Strengths:    Easy in/out, unbelievable float reduces knee fatigue, low weight even in chromoly version. Last forever and ever.... And ever

Weaknesses:    Cleats: they Last years but when they fail- they're done. Gotta get new ones. Last item, to get out is only a one way venture. Rotate heels outward. Got caught on a scrub tree once, between the crank and the frame, getting out was comical.

Bottom Line:
I have had my chromoly Frogs since the late 90's (leave the old thing out of it) they've gone through four separate bikes with me and taken a beating without ever a whimper. I like to ride hard, bash through rock gardens, not afraid to launch... these babies can take it. Muddy or dusty, makes no difference. Keep them greased up and you'll not regret them. The amount of float is amazing, you won't feel "locked in" with these float is exactly that- FLOAT!! No stress on the knees. To exit simply rotate heels outward, had only one questionable moment, one time when I managed to get hung up on a small scrub oak. It was trapped between the crank arm and the frame. In this position I couldn't rotate my heel outward as the tree was against the inside of the toe box on my Sidi. Had to back uphill until I got free- had to laugh, gravity is a beaytch!! Other thing, the cleats, they use a hinge-like ramp to engage. This is held in by a plastic an siliconized base. When this little baby is worn it will fail, usually just falls off. Mind you in all my years I've only gone through 3 sets of cleats (on the third now). Both previous sets failed suddenly, without warning but took years of torture and blissful abuse before this occurred. Despite these two small details I would take these pedals any day of the week, season of the year, wet or dry, dusty or muddy- ANYDAY!

Submitted by Darcy a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2013

Strengths:    Good float / easy out

Weaknesses:    Don't know any

Bottom Line:
Hard to find this pedal but worth the hunt

Submitted by turbocarr a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2012

Strengths:    Light, float, simplicity in design, funtionality, low seal drag, easy in and out, made in the U.S.A.

Weaknesses:    Hmmm, none that I can think of at this time.

Bottom Line:
Been using Time ATAC Aluminum for over 10 years on my old 99 FSR. They were worn out! Lot's of play and movement. Never liked Shimano pedals. Too restrictive for me. Picked up a new EPIC several months ago so I decided to upgrade to the ATAC carbon's. Although they worked much better than my old ATAC's, they still felt like.....mountain bike pedals. That is, a bit clunky ("Unrefined") compared to road bike pedals. My biggest complained with mtb pedals, including SPD and ATAC's, is the play or movement I get when out of the saddle pedaling. I'm a 180 sprinter dude, so I'm cranking out some watts. The ATAC's do make noise when under load too, grinding up hill puts those springs to the test. The large platform contributes to the grinding or squeeking with the bottom of the contact points of the sole of the shoes. Although I'm been more of a roadie, I'm fast becoming more of a mountain bikder since purchasing the Epic. I've used Speedplay Zero's) on the road bike for 20+ years. Just purchased a set of Frog Ti pedals and I love them! Very precise operation. No movement, grinding, clicking or squeeking when under load or out of the saddle. The Frogs spin more freely too, with little drag from the o-rings, while the ATAC's have lots of drag due to the tight seals. Out with ATAC's and in with the Frog's. Much more of a road bike pedal feel with an even easier in and out. It's just too bad I didn't switch to Frog's years ago.

Purchased At:   RocknRoad Cyclery -

Similar Products Used:   SPD, Time ATAC's.

Bike Setup:   Specialized EPIC

Submitted by dieter

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2012

Strengths:    Last forever even w/ only yearly grease jobs. use them on road and mtb. racing MTb for 12 yrs. peddals eventually get play in them, but no failures. The float feels good. comes out fast in crashes. don't get stuck to the bike during endos as with others i tried. they work well in mud.

Weaknesses:    had to cut sole on some shoes to fit cleats.

Bottom Line:
the old cleats were adjustable. as they wore after a couple of years you could turn the retainer pins to expose fresh round shaft and-tight again. can also add new rubber under cleat to restore firm clip-in. just bought new bearings from bearing supply. $12 rebuild/set for my old peddals.

Similar Products Used:   shimano

Bike Setup:   specialized 29er X0, Colnago Dura Ace

Submitted by Diane W.

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2012

Strengths:    I love these pedals! The push off foot is a little harder to get clipped in initially but once you get going and let gravity help, they clip in fine. I found when putting pressure on the other foot when pedaling clips me in. I do climbing on regular basis and have not had any issues with slower speeds going uphill and staying clipped in. Clipping out is also a breeze. No knee problems at all!

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any!

Bottom Line:
All in all, in spite of the price, these are great pedals. I will probably only use these from now on.

Submitted by fokof a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2012

Strengths:    Low maintenance , knee friendly , easy clip In/Out , Light , durable ,

Weaknesses:    Have to use with shoes that has enough rubber thickness.
Can't say price 'cause I have them for so long but yeah , cleats are expensive though and I like to change them every two years.

Perfect for extra snow/mud , the fact that it clip while moving forward pushes the mud in the back and doesn't "compress" it like "push on it" systems.

Bottom Line:
I have those since they came out ( 10 years ? ) put grease every once in a while , that's it. Never had to change the bearings yet.
Can't conceive going to other brand wich feels so "locked in"
Have to get used to the "feet on ice" feeling but once you get it , you dig it.

If setup correctly , you never disengage alone like others mentioned , they didn't installed their cleats correctly.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Submitted by Bodeen a Weekend Warrior from Germany

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2011

Strengths:    None that I can think of. I mean, for Christ's sake, the casing is made of plastic.

Weaknesses:    Where do I even begin... Cleats would not stay engaged. Just yesterday I went on a slow ride with a buddy of mine, I must have came unclipped several dozen times. The worst is while trying to get uphill when your shoe comes unclipped. It's just about enough to make you lose control, not to mention losing forward momentum...by that point you're pretty much forced to dismount and walk the rest of the way up the hill.

Bottom Line:
Goin' back to Shimano. Should've just upgraded to some XTRs instead of wasting money on this garbage.

Favorite Trail:   Garmisch

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SPD

Bike Setup:   SS/rigid 29er

Submitted by PATRICK a Cross Country Rider from Saint Germain, WI

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2011

Strengths:    Plenty of float and simplicity

Weaknesses:    Not very durable, a cleat ripped off with just three months use. Also the clip in is problematic and not positve. I use speedplays on my road bike and like them. Used three years before having to replace bearings. I think these pedals were released to production prematurely. Just spent $40.00 + shipping for new housing with cleat. These things may be O.K. for fire road cruising however they are not up to the task for technical mountain bike riding or racing.

Bottom Line:
Speed play needs to go back to the drawing board with these things. Maybe engineer a fix and make available new cleats and pedal housings at minimal cost to people who paid good money for a terribly flawed product.

Favorite Trail:   Copper Harbor Michigan

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Egg beaters, Shimano SPD, Ritchie ( used Ritche's on one bike for over eight years wih absolutely no problem)

Bike Setup:   Specialized 29er Comp, W/ Shram drive train.

Submitted by endo daze a Cross Country Rider from New England

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2011

Strengths:    Super simple and effective design. Clip in and out is effortless, but holds secure when engaged. Float is awesome.

Weaknesses:    Cleats do wear, but cleaning and waxing helps minimize.

Bottom Line:
Have used Frogs for a few years now, and use them on all my bikes off-road and on. Having the float is excellent. Gives you that much more freedom to move in the cockpit. Simple cleating system gives you confidence to get in and out in a flash. Have never popped out accidentally. Scratching my head at some of the others comments about fore-aft movement or popping out when pushing forward -- the cleats engage by pushing forward... Seem durable enough to me, and I like riding rock gardens and babyheads. Wish Speedplay would give them some attention as I'm sure the could be tweaked for the better (have some ideas). Wicked pedal.

Favorite Trail:   All