Speedplay Drillium Pedal

4.62/5 (13 Reviews)

The ultimate platform pedal for freeride and downhill offering up a beefy 12mm cro-moly spindle with three precision bearings for maximum strength and durability.

Submitted by Rat S Rectum a Cross Country Rider from Rifle, Colorado, US

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2012

Strengths:    Very well designed and built pedal, very easy to maintain. Used with 5.10 Sam Hill or 5.10 Karver shoes this is the best back country pedal made

Bottom Line:
I enjoy back country unassisted multi day solo riding. It is usually slow going in the 30 tooth ring for hours and hours and the grip these Drilliums give the 5.10 shoes are very close to clipless in that I can pull up/back during the rising part of the crank rotation and yet when I come to those sudden stops caused by unseen holes and rocks I can just put my foot down (left or right foot).

As for grip, these are the best platforms I have used with my 5.10 shoes. The grip is strong even after water crossings, snow crossings, and trundling through mud.

Maintenance is easy and if you buy the Speedplay grease gun it is even easier.

The pedals are wide and you will strike rocks now and again but they are very well built and I have yet to bend or crack one.

Favorite Trail:   Back country

Similar Products Used:   Various other clipless and platform pedals

Bike Setup:   Custom built aluminum 69r rigid with carbon fork

Submitted by JORDAN a Cross Country Rider from Mesquite,Tx

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2012

Strengths:    Grip, durability, ease of service. I have gone through a long list of cheaper flats and none have made it much over 6 months . I have had the Speedplays for over 3 years and never had a moments problem with 'em. I am pretty tough on gear and ride alot of miles. If you like to ride flats, I think these are the best ones money can buy. Incredible grip with almost any hiking or running shoe and amazing with 510's. Very satisfying watching your clipped in buddies fall over trying to unclip while you effortlessly step off. In over 3 years, these have yet to do any real damage to the shins. Very good in the wet as well.

Weaknesses:    They are large and will occasionally clip a rock or two. A very small price to pay for the grip and stability of this pedal. Kind of pricey but worth it.

Bottom Line:
If you ride flats, these are the holy grail. If you ride clipless, sell them and buy these. You wont fall over in front of anyone in the parking lot if you ride these. I have benn trail riding for the last 25 years or so and I love these pedals.

Purchased At:   Richardson Bike Mart

Similar Products Used:   Wellgos, and alot of cheap, crappy flats.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale hardtail, mostly xt

Submitted by rogerpar a Weekend Warrior from east elmhurst, NY

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2010

Strengths:    Great appearance, better handling!

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for replacement pedals for your mountain bike, these are it. You will not be disappointed. These are by far the best set of pedals I have purchased, the grip is unbelievable, they look and function phenomenally. Speedplay hit a homerun with these. If you have doubts about this product, rest assured that these badboys are in a class of their own!

Purchased At:   Cigi bikes

Bike Setup:   Giant Yukon FX

Submitted by nafod a Cross Country Rider from State College

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2010

Strengths:    Very robust, holds on to the shoes, takes hits off rocks and keeps going, looks cool

Weaknesses:    Bit of a rattle on left pedal, not sure how to tighten. Nothing else.

Bottom Line:
I like 'em. Easy to plop my foot onto them and have it stick. I ride with 5.10 Impacts, which only makes them better.

I ride with clips on my cross bike, and when transitioning back to the platformed Stumpy I find that I have to be careful not to push forward with my foot when climbing, as the pedal will rotate and the foot will come off. Just push down. Never a problem on downhills.

I love being able to dab and keep going, not worrying about doing a dead soldier and eating it while trying to unclip. I accept the performance hit, which has proven to be minimal. Your heart can only pump so hard, and that always proves to be the limiting factor.

Favorite Trail:   Rothrock

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Shop

Bike Setup:   Stumpy FSR

Submitted by 2wheeljunkie a Downhiller from Fullerton, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2009

Strengths:    Amazing Grip, Durability, Longevity...

Weaknesses:    Product what?

Bottom Line:
I wanted to RE-review this product because I've been using these for over three years now. I previously granted only 4 peppers and the truth is, now that I've become a platform pedal guy, I have yet to see or feel anything better. These pedals are worth every penny. They do look gorgeous but they really shine when you USE EM! Mine are totally banged up, scratched, marred, nicked, etc. They hit rocks, roots, flesh, and occasionally concrete stairs and even granite, but the amazing thing is that the pins are all still damn near perfect, they have never cut me badly, they work like a sonofabiatch and I've transferred them from bike to bike when I get something new.

They're on a hard tail right now for Chrissake and I still prefer them to clipless. Another reviewer said it well when he said that they weren't as difficult as XC riders want them to be. I'm not racing. I want to have fun and these make bailing easy, gnarly steep sh*t feel safer, with barely any sacrifice on climbs. Overall I love em. If they were stolen I'd buy another pair immediately - even at full retail.

I'm gonna get a pair of five.ten shoes to really get these things working. I've been riding in my torn up Converse Chuck Taylors lately and even they stick to these great pedals.

Cheers and happy trails.

Favorite Trail:   Sullivan, Chilao, JPL, La Tuna

Purchased At:   Wheel World

Similar Products Used:   all kinds of different platforms and a few clipless pedals

Bike Setup:   Marin Hardtial (Nail Trail) Fox Float, good groupo, Intense Tires (2.25)

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Florida

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2008

Strengths:    Wide base, good grip

Weaknesses:    Loses smoothness much too quickly for a more expensive pedal

Bottom Line:
When one pays for a more expensive pedal , one should get better durability. I've only had this bike for 6 months and have greased these pedals according to their instructions twice. These pedals started out smooth until now. Whenever putting any torque on these pedals (such as hill climbing)there is a slipping/clunking feel underfoot. I have e-mailed the Speedplay company and will reserve judgement on these pedals by the support of their product.

Favorite Trail:   Don't have one

Purchased At:   Webcyclery (Excellent Business)

Bike Setup:   Not going to repeat it. It's in the "registration" thing.

Submitted by Armando Zamudio Jr. a Cross Country Rider from Chicago , Illinois

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2007

Strengths:    Shoe grip is outstanding ,pins come with loctite ,bag of 10 replacement pins, awesome blck finish, larger in size ,a grease service port for lube, kickazz looks.

Weaknesses:    After 3 months of use have yet to find a weakness using these pedals.

Bottom Line:
It has been a pleasure riding with these pedals. I know for a fact that they have helped me improve my riding ten fold.I have lost that uneasy feeling I had with my old wellgo's ,not the best grip while riding technical sections.This is quite the opposite with my drillium pedals, they grip like velcro.I now feel more relaxed and confident riding whatever technical section is at hand.My last 3 months of riding have been a real blast.Many thanks go to my wonderful wife for giving me these pedals.The gift that keeps on giving ride after ride.

Favorite Trail:   any and all trails

Purchased At:   Village Cylces

Similar Products Used:   Set of wellgo's that came with my bike.Got one year out of them before the pins wore out and left pedal bearing took a dump (water intrusion).

Bike Setup:   05 Trek 4300disc , marzocchi mx pro fork , panaracer fire xc pro tires, lunar lighte tubes , forte carbon riser bar,drillium pedals, etc..........

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from Michigan

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2006

Strengths:    High quality build, well thought out pin placement, look good, big platform.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I use these with Five.Ten Impact shoes and I can't imagine a better combination. It feels like i'm clipped in, yet I'm not stuck to my bike if I fall or just need to put a foot down. I have yet to slip a pedal. These things appear to be indestructible so far and are just all around high quality. They work especially well with shoes designed for platforms such as the Five.Ten, but they worked just fine with the regular court shoes I was using before.

Highly recommended for anyone who doesn't want to use clipless pedals.

Favorite Trail:   PLRA

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Nothing similar to the Drillium.

Bike Setup:   Who cares

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from 49th Parallel, Montana

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2006

Strengths:    Tough as nails pedal, feet stick on 'em like glue, cool looking.

Weaknesses:    large platform bumps into rocks and roots. Already bashed mine a few times and scratched 'em up.

Bottom Line:
I like these pedals. Easy to ride on and they look cool too. The big platform can bump into rocks and roots causing them to be scratched up.

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 70

Submitted by ben a Downhiller from Lost Angeles. CA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2006

Strengths:    Excellent shoe grip. NIce big platform for bigger feet (I'm a 13) Freakin' sick to look at.

Weaknesses:    Their size, one of their advantages, is also sometimes a drawback. They are wide and do require some concious effort to avoid bashing them into rocks and roots somtimes - but that is probably normal with platforms.

Bottom Line:
After two collarbone surguries due to separate fracture incidents, I decided to get out of clipless pedals. Everything i had heard about clipless vs platforms seems like bs to me now. THere is only the tiniest disadvantage with the platforms - mostly on short SUPER steep sprint climbs like out of a creekbed or something.

With these pedals i am totally glued to the bike just like my SPD 858's felt. Only difference is I am always able to bail at a millisecond's notice and don't have to be balancing on little clipless pedals on the arch of my foot to have this avantage.

I have heard a lot of horror stories about shredded shins, but so far have yet to slip off these pedals at all. if you have bigger feet, BUY EM! You'll love em.

4 chilis each cause they cost a grip and are a bit huge on tighter trails... a little angle inward on the bottom leading edges in order to clear rocks and stuff would've netted a nickel for sure.

Peace...

Favorite Trail:   chilao flat

Purchased At:   wheel world

Similar Products Used:   Only clipless

Bike Setup:   02 Enduro, Psylo SL, Mavic F219 Freeride rims, Intense 2.25 System 4 Tires, XTR, XT, LX, blah blah blah

Submitted by James Dayhoff a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2006

Strengths:    Fat, concave platform, freakin' solid, replacable stud are awesome. They are climb quite well - surprising for a flat.

Weaknesses:    They are bomb-proof - really. I weight 225 and beat them hard.

Bottom Line:
If you like flats - this is the pedal for you. If you are tired of crashing with your bike stuck to you - these pedals are for you. I grew up on toe-clips, then I transitioned to SPD when I bought my Stumpjumper 8 years ago. I got tired of not being able to get out of pedal when I absolutely needed too. I put Odyssey Flats on that bike and found that climbing with flats was not as hard as diehard XC racers want it to be. I have since purchased the Yeti 575 (bad-ass) and decided to try the Speedplays out. Holy F**k, you want to climb - climb. You want to bomb - then bomb. These pedals are amazing. Not only to you have the freedom to eject when necessary - you will not come off of them - provided you have good shoes (I use Merrill's w/ no problem). In fact, I just rode Slick Rock and Porcupine Rim with them. I saw at least four sets up there - one on a Blur.

Favorite Trail:   Jones Downhill / Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Odyssey, Diamondback

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575 Enduro from Pro Cycling in Colorado Springs

Submitted by Jim a Weekend Warrior from Eagle, Idaho

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2005

Strengths:    Velcro like grip but easy to reposition your foot without having to lift it completely off the pedal. Huge plaform for those with big feet like me. Makes it very comfortable and less fatigue for longer rides. Concave of pedal is great!

Weaknesses:    None that I can speak of at this point. They are pricey but you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding clipless pedals and never really felt comfortable with them. I swithched to flats contrary to the advice of other riders. I was told you will not be able to climb, your feet will always come off the pedals every time you hit a bump and you will destroy your shins. I have riden these pedals on every trail, climb and drop I did with clipless and have yet to slip one. In fact I feel I can ride better with these flats. Thet provide a great deal of confidence. They are unbelievable from a grip standpoint and comfort. If you are thinking of switching you won't go wrong with these bad boys. The studs are well thought out as for placement and length and the concave of the pedal makes it very comfy. Although the pedal is thin and light it seems to be strong as I have bashed them hard more then a few times and they have held up well.

I do use 661 shoes which are also great and help with the grip. I may be new to flats and not the best judge from an experience standpoint or comparison to other pedals but I do know a good product when I see (ride) one. You won't be disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   Coralls, Hard Guy, Bob's

Purchased At:   Georges, Boise

Similar Products Used:   These are the only flats I have used.

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575, Race Disc w/ Fox 36 RC2

Submitted by Colin from Santa Monica, CA

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2005

Strengths:    Huge platform! Tons of GRIP...very tall posts.

Weaknesses:    Price...you can probably find 'em for cheaper, but I'm an instant gratification kind of guy and Helen's is like 5 blocks away.

Bottom Line:
I have thouroughly enjoyed riding these pedals, they have tons of grip without being super difficult to readjust your foot (like with Krupi's). I think they accomplish this by having only two spikes in the very front of the pedal, three accross the the middle in front of the axle, to accross the middle behind the axle, and three across the back. So if you just lift your heal you can adjust your foot relatively easily...then you have loads of grip again when you need it. Awesome pedal!

Purchased At:   Helen's Cycles