Specialized Lo Pro Mag Platform Pedals Pedal

4.3/5 (10 Reviews)

Same pedals that come standard on our Demo 9 DH and our top Fuse and Hemi bikes so you know they can take a hit. Loaded with the features that you are looking for.

Submitted by M a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2006

Strengths:    Lo profile. Good Grip.

Weaknesses:    Bearings/Bushings wear out fast. Pedals get sloppy.

Bottom Line:
These are the '05 version before Specialized re-designed them and made them better. They got sloppy w/in 7 months of use. LBS said no warranty--it's a "wear" item. Hmmmm, I guess Specialized re-designed them because they wear out too freekin fast. I pulled 'em apart and regreased them but it didn't help.

Submitted by Joe from Washington

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2006

Strengths:    Size is good, not too big. Price better than other offerings. Traction pins work. Looks good. I ordered the Ti color and got the bronze instead. Both versions look good so I won't make a deal of it with Specialized.

Weaknesses:    Nut that holds pedal on outer axle will come off. Carry a tool so you can tighten it back up if your lucky enough to find it(the nut).

Bottom Line:
Had the exact same problem as CJ had with his. My right pedal came off. Fortunately I found the nut too while trail riding...real lucky. Had a pair of plyers with me and put it back on. Got it tight.

Haven't had it back out since and I didn't use any thread locker(blue loctite) on it. Would be a good idea to. I check it reguarly though but like I said it hasn't come loose again and I have done alot of riding since.

Check those nuts on the outer axles for sure. Mine are the 06 model too.

Favorite Trail:   Below her navel

Purchased At:   Specialized

Similar Products Used:   Other platforms. I don't use clip in's.

Submitted by CJ a Cross Country Rider from Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2006

Strengths:    This review is for the 2006 Lo Pro Mag II Pedals. They look great (gold color goes nice with my matte black bike finish), are very lightweight, and provide very good grip.

Weaknesses:    I bought these pedals from Specialized and installed them on my bike. I noticed that the right pedal did not turn as easily as the left, but I thought that it would just loosen up as I rode. I went for a short ride, and halfway through the right pedal fell off! Luckily I was just cruising slowly when it happened. The nut holding the pedal on must have worked itself loose while I was riding. I actually found the nut, and tried to fix it, but it looked like the outer bearing was missing (I compared it to the other pedal). I am not sure if the bearing fell out and I just could not find it, or if it was never there for some reason. I sent the pedals to Specialized, and they replaced them right away (great customer service). I installed my new pedals, and took my bike for a very short test ride, prepared for anything. The right nut worked loose and the pedal fell off again! I reassembled the pedal, and did what I should have done in the very beginning, and put some Threadlocker on the threads before I put the outer nut on. I have had no problems with the pedals since. I usually ride at least three times per week, and consider myself an “all-mountain” guy. I think that there should be a retaining pin (or something similar) to hold the outer nut on. The nut sits right up next to the pedal, and because of the direction of rotation of the right pedal, it tends to unscrew the nut. I do not know if I am the only person who has had this problem. Oh yeah, one of the traction pins fell out after a few weeks.

Bottom Line:
These are nice pedals, just make sure that you put some Threadlocker on the nut holding on the right pedal.

Similar Products Used:   None. I just used the stock pedals prior to getting the new ones.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock Sport

Submitted by Jon from Wichita, KS, USA

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2006

Strengths:    Well...everything I can think of. I've used the 2006 Lo' Pro Mag II pedals and they are soooooo nice. Wonderful fell to them, super grippy and solid, and they wear your shoes evenly. 4 sets of bearings and more wrench options for removing and attaching the pedals (6mm hex on the end of axle and 15mm in the normal place). The pins stay in really well (haven't ever lost one), and they don't wear very fast either, and that's with grinding. They are tough, and LIGHT. Try and find a better pedal at 520g a pair, especially at the price ($65).

Weaknesses:    For the people who complain about the cost, these are cheap compared to the new 5050xx and others. And for those who have problems with the bearings, the 2006 is upgraded and waaaaay better design of bearings.

Bottom Line:
Wonderful. I have always loved Specialized, and these pedals really are the best I've seen. A very important note is that the 2006 version has FIXED all problems with the previous years of these pedals. There is now 2 sealed cartridge bearins, a bushing, and a sealed needle bearing = 4 total bearings. These pedals did get a little play, but I fixed that by overhauling them, now they are like new :)

Buy them if you like a solid lightweight pedal, and they will hold up to however you ride. I used them for hardcore urban and skatepark, with plent of stalls and grinds. Believe me, buy them and they will improve your ride. I'll be getting another pair for my S-Works...

Similar Products Used:   Specialized stock, Azonic Xtension, Welgo's

Bike Setup:   My previous bike was a Specialized P.3 2005 Long, 2006 Fox Vanilla 130R, Chris King SS disc rear hub hub with DT Swiss FR 6.1d rim, Maxxis Holy Roller 2.4's, Easton EA70 Monkeybar, Easton EA70 seatpost, Easton Vice stem, 2006 Avid Juicy Seven, 2005 Truvativ Holzfeller cranks with E13 Supercharger bashguard protecting a E13 GuideRing 36t chainring, pedaled by the Lo' Pro Mag II's. I am now building up a new bike with a 2005 Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper 120 frame with Chris King headset and Shimano XT cranks

Submitted by Tony a Racer from Cali

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2005

Strengths:    -light
-strong
-great design
-great color (bronze)
-replaceable pins

Weaknesses:    -eats your shins
-not the lightest pedal

Bottom Line:
-great pedal but will bite at any moment

Favorite Trail:   Calibazas

Rims- Sun DitchWitch
Stem- Truvativ Hussefelt

Submitted by Francis Bell a Weekend Warrior from Bristol, UK

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2005

Strengths:    Really solid, smooth bearings, extra grippy. Also suitable for those of us with bigger feet. Lightweight for their generous size. Sealed, so should not suffer the problems I've had with every other pedal - they all died from bearing failures. Also the pedal doesn't have sharp pointy things on its edge to catch on your clothers - unlike the bear traps.

Weaknesses:    Expensive... but they are made of magnesium, right?

Bottom Line:
very comfortable and solid, also light. Grippy! If you can afford this, well worth it.

Favorite Trail:   A38

Purchased At:   Simply the Bike (http://www.simplythebike.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=451)

Similar Products Used:   Cheap resin pedals that came with the bike. Oversized bear traps.

Bike Setup:   Ridgeback Speed (hybrid)

Submitted by onyabike from nelson

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2005

Strengths:    fantastic grip with all types of shoes. easy to replant your foot in an instant after tricky moves. no sign of pins wearing. good in mud. done over 600km on these.

Weaknesses:    left hand pedal bush developed play soon after new. shop repacked with grease - no change. replaced axle - still has play. would like to see sealed bearing in both sides of pedal - forget the bushes.

Bottom Line:
i'm still using these pedals with the play in one, cos i do like them. just a bit of pain when climbing i can feel the bush movement. will be back to suplier on this though - when i get time to stop riding!

Favorite Trail:   croesus

Similar Products Used:   various bear traps and flats, cage pedals, one set of clipless trialed - not convinced

Bike Setup:   specialized enduro

Submitted by NoXx a Downhiller from Broomfield, Colorado

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2005

Strengths:    Everything about these pedals rocks. They stick to your feet like your clipped in. The powder coating has not started to chip and they are bomb proof. I really like the adjustable resistance because a bunch of pedals I have had were just to tight.

Bottom Line:
I have been eyeing these pedals for a while and I finally broke down and got them. The best pedals I have ever tried and worth every penny.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Many

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign, Holzfeller bars, stem, cranks, e13 DRS, Sherman Firefly

Submitted by James Noxfield a Downhiller from West penrith

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2005

Strengths:    this is the perfect pedal

Weaknesses:    none at all

Bottom Line:
these r the best pedasl eva they look prime and are bombproof

Favorite Trail:   Crankworx