Home | Reviews | Pedal | Spank

Spank Spike Flat Pedal

Weight : 400g / pr MSRP : $150.99

The Spike Flat Pedal achieves an ultra-thin 12mm thickness without compromising a closed axle design or ultimate strength, by utilizing a cold forged pedal body and special scandium enriched, hollow taper steel axle, paired with a thin walled IGUS outboard bushing. The results are improved pedalling and cornering clearance, lowered center of gravity, reduced "pedal flip" effect, and improved pedalling efficiency as the rider's foot is brought closer to the center axis of the pedal. Chamfered leading and side edges also improve the pedals ability to glance over obstacles and reduce impact forces. Oversized, full compliment, industrial sealed inboard bearings slam flush with crankarms to reduce leverage on the bearing unit while at the same time reducing Q-factor, which further improves pedalling efficiency and rider positioning. Finally the extra long 90+cm2 platform improves grip and support, while further reducing the "pedal flip" effect during climbing or aggressive pedalling. The Spike Flat is truly a revolution in pedal design!

Spank Spike Flat Pedal Pro Review

The Spank Spike pedal is part of a new generation of flat pedals we’ve been seeing lately. The new trend is growing towards flatter, wider, prettier pedals that are ready to meet the increasing demands of riders. Riders want pedals that are low-profile and thin to aid in handling for low CG. Also, they are less likely to get in the way and hit rocks if they are lower profile. Spank accomplishes this with a 12mm pedal height not including the pins. The body itself is cold-forged for strength. Continue reading →

Submitted by fatlip

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2014

Strengths:    Low profile, great grip, tough

Weaknesses:    Noisy, Squeaky pedals

Bottom Line:
If you like squeaky, chirpy pedals then buy these flats! It sounds like a flock of birds is chasing me. I contacted Spank and haven't heard back from them. Think I'll take them to my LBS and have them fix them. When you spend this much on a pedal it should last at least a season. The only reason they get a 3 chili is because they are awesome otherwise.

Submitted by James a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2014

Strengths:    Grippy, spin well, low profile, look cool

Weaknesses:    High maintenance

Bottom Line:
I'm very happy with my spike pedals. They are seemingly well built, low profile, very grippy and look good too. They have the right amount of spin for XC or AM use, which is important to me because I don't like pedalling with a stiff pedal, nor do I like a pedal that wanders too much if I take my foot off for a second.

My only real complaint is they needed to be serviced right out of the box. They literally lasted to the 3rd ride before they started squeaking to no end. I popped out the axles, only to discover the bearings and internals were bone dry. Don't think there was any factory lubrication whatsoever..... Not a big deal, I just greased them up and away we went. Just something to watch for.

Similar Products Used:   Straitline Amp, Blackspire, HT

Bike Setup:   2014 Rocky Mountain Altitude 799 - Custom

Submitted by russinthecascades

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2013

Strengths:    Gripping power

Weaknesses:    Fitting of hex wrench socket, customer services

Bottom Line:
The overall quality of the Spank Spikes are very good, but I felt compelled to write the review due to the poor fit of the 8mm hex socket and the lack of response from Spank. I ordered two pair for my wife and my new bikes. When I went to install them my 8mm Pedros hex wrench would not go into the socket. One pair arrived before the other and on the first pair the wrench wouldn't fit into either pedal socket. I took them to a LBS, who confirmed "these aren't 8mm". So I emailed Spanks to find out what size they are intended to be - I have yet to hear from them... In the meantime the second pair arrived, so I tried one pedal - no luck, then the second pedal - it fit!
This lead me to believe the socket was poorly QC'd, but intended to be 8mm. With some force I got the tapered ball end to go into the socket, after working each pedal for about 15 minutes, I cleared enough space to get the flat end of the hex wrench in, which you need to use to tighten them.

Bottom line - I like the pedals a lot after I worked them, but I never should have had to "make" an expense pedal fit. Totally unimpressed with Spank's customer service - actually, no service.

Submitted by eurotrash666 a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2013

Strengths:    Low profile, amazing grip, wide enough for total support in street shoes.

Weaknesses:    Price.

Bottom Line:
These are the best platform pedals I have ever used. Spank really nailed it with both form and function, which is rare (cough, Crank Brothers). So they look great, and that's all fine and good. What blows me away is how well they work! With my stiff 5.10 shoes or rubbery Pumas, I have as much contact and control while airborne as I do with SPDs, and that's no exaggeration. I rode these pedals at Megavalanche with zero issues and no fatigue like I get from narrower plats. I've had some massive, over the bar faceplants from pedal strikes, and sure enough these pedals gouge and scratch like any other. The price is high, but I can't name a better platform pedal on the market.

Favorite Trail:   Rodalben F-trail

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycle

Similar Products Used:   HT platforms, Crank Bros Mallets, Shimano platforms, Speedplays, SPDs

Bike Setup:   Pivot Phoenix, Avalanche DHX, Avalanche Boxxer cartridge, Hope V4s. The rest is just wheels and tires, handlebars and grips...

Submitted by Woodwhistler

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2013

Strengths:    Amazing grip and excellent feeling. I ve been using these with 661 filter shoes and running shoes and with both they were truly amazing. Light and well spinning. True multi use pedals. Nice looking! Survived several hard ground and rock hits.

Weaknesses:    Really none but maybe a bit pricey. Color can fade a little bit after repeated hits on the same spot.

Bottom Line:
Okay so i ve been using these for both xc and am riding for two months now on my transam 29 and they are "the complete package". I know there are more value pedals but i bought these 200km used from my lbs so they were still in a pretty good shape and costed only 50€.
I ve been using clipless for quite a long time now and i must say it felt great to use good flat pedals and as i mentioned above they worked well even with my running shoes. Not to mention the overall style these give to your bike as they are very low in profile so this eliminates a lot of ground hits. The pedals are huge in contact area so you get a nice foot stead on drop and jump landings. I think both beginner- friendly and pro- level capable pedals that must at least be tested to understand how good these are.
Possibly going to post a 4 or 6 month use roundup on the forum.

Last words: I absolutely love these pedals and recommend these to everyone except to serious XC racers and marathon racers.

Submitted by SpecialistJon a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2012

Strengths:    Good sized platform, awesome grip, good weight for its size, can't beat its 12mm thin profile, and is super durable

Weaknesses:    Doesn't spin very well due to friction seal and IGUS bushing, may not appeal to people who do a lot of pedaling

Bottom Line:
These are sick pedals that you can use everything from dirt jumping to DH. The body is cold forged and chamfered on the edges so it's able to shrug off rock hits. The pins are nicely placed, offer awesome grip but when you need to shift your foot you can. It's thin profile is amazing looking and it means you are less prone to hit something with the underside of the pedal. It uses an inboard large sealed bearing, and an IGUS bushing. It doesn't spin very well out of the box but should get smoother. The graphics wear easily but the finish won't. For some reason mine didn't come with any instructions at all, no rebuild diagrams whatsoever. The 2012 model that I got has the revised axle design that won't squeak with 5.10's, just don't buy the old models with the black allen cap. Bottom line, awesome ,durable pedals that will last you years.

Favorite Trail:   Gear Jammer

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Submitted by Jonathan

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2012

Strengths:    Nice large platform and plenty of pins provide excellent traction. They are only 12mm thick so the thinner profile does feel nice under your feet. Weight is also minimal though they feel very sturdy. Have clipped a couple rocks and they are holding up perfectly! The fact that they come in different colors is nice as well. Awesome customer service from Spank too!

Weaknesses:    Had some squeaking from my 5.10 shoes with the old pedal axle assembly. Spank contacted me directly and offered a replacement without me asking for it. For another $15 shipping my pedals are now sqeak free. The new 2012 model comes with the new axle system as standard.

Bottom Line:
Great value for the money! Looked at more expensive pedals before I decided on these and couldn't be happier with my purchase. Think these will hold up for a long time. I was riding clipless previously and these have made me convinced that I'll never again use clipless pedals, except for some really long XC stuff.

Submitted by polymathic a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2012

Strengths:    Great, strong, grippy, thin pedals. Best price/weight/strength/thinness deal. Super durable. Look great, too.

Weaknesses:    Original hardware lead to squeaking with 5.10 shoes. That was a bit annoying, but I upgraded to the new hardware for $15. No squeaking now. Any new pedal will be fit with the new hardware.

Bottom Line:
Put 2,000 miles on these. Love them. Very dependable, and my experience with costumer support was very good.

Believe the hype on ultra thin pedals. They are better! And these just slid off rocks.

Purchased At:   universalcycle

Similar Products Used:   Wellgo MG1, Xpeedo, Shimano DX....

Submitted by bing!

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2012

Strengths:    thin, great grip and strong.

Weaknesses:    noisy. using the pedals is like taking a ride with a dying hamster. the axle rubs on your shoe's sole as it rotates with each pedal stroke, making a sickening squeak. if you like bike noise, these are the pedls for you.

Bottom Line:
spank offered a 15 dollar "upgrade" to retrofit to their new axle design. i asked for a guaranty that the squeak would be gone. i received no reply. im not throwing more good money into a bad design. just like ceelo said, spank "forget you". jenson also stopped answering my emails regarding returning these pedals. buying these pedals was a big mistake.

Submitted by lone-wolf-production a Downhiller from Kamloops BC Canada

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2011

Strengths:    The biggest thing that people seem to notice about this pedal is it's slim and sleek design. While this is certainly a huge plus there is much more that the Spike Flat Pedal has to offer. There seems to be a number of choices at this price point but not many are as durable as Spank pedal. I have smashed this pedal into countless rock with little to no damage at all. In fact my pedals still work as well as the day I got them. Many pedals tend to have what I call "shin raker" pins in them which are elongated often in order to make up for a poor shaped pedal but the Spank pedals do not use this technique. They have moderate length pins that are placed properly on the pedal in order to offer maximum grip. On top of all that the bearings have stayed in good condition and are still tight with no maintenance for the entire 2011 season.

Weaknesses:    N/A

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a pedal that will out last several bikes then these are for you. While a 110 dollar price tag may seem a little high for a pedal, when you look at what you are getting compared to the others in this price range the Spank Spike Flat pedal is miles ahead in almost every way.

Favorite Trail:   Harper