Shimano XTR Race PD-M980 XC Pedal

2.67/5 (15 Reviews)

The new Shimano XTR Race pedals are all about maximizing output and efficiency by connecting you to your bike like never before. Boasting four times more shoe/pedal contact area than the previous generation XTR pedal, the Race pedals channel every ounce of your effort to your rear wheel.

Submitted by mlkovacs a Racer

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2014

Strengths:    Reliable, perform well

Weaknesses:    Develop bearing play soon after initial use...2 months for me.

Bottom Line:
I've used Shimano pedals since the 90s. Still happy overall, but I must admit that I'm a little disappointed with this specific model (PD-M980), due to the excessive play. It's bad now that it's been 4 years. I'll probably go with the XT next time (PD-M780). My prior XT pedals had zero play after 6 years. However, it's not a deal breaker.

Submitted by icsloppl a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2013

Strengths:    Weight, feel, solid clip-in and release.

Weaknesses:    None yet. Maybe they're still too new to fail...

Bottom Line:
A lot more people than i would expect have had issues with them, but so far mine have been perfect. Being mostly a road rider, I like the solid float characteristics, which are like a lot of road pedals.
You can also get them for far less than MSRP of course, which makes them a decent deal IMO.

Similar Products Used:   Time, Ritchey.

Bike Setup:   Tallboy C w/ XT package.

Submitted by Davo

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2012

Strengths:    Were none. Have owned 2 sets of the old XTR pedals and they were far superior to these.

Weaknesses:    Poor float feel when riding, have to lubricate pedal before riding. Bushes flogged out after 8 months of riding, couldn't get get spares cause everyone else had the same problem.

Bottom Line:
Worst pedals I have en-counted in 12 years of riding. Have just purchased my first set of egbeters.

Submitted by Mike a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2012

Strengths:    Great look, good performance

Weaknesses:    Bearing slop after very short period of use, like so many other reviewers.

Bottom Line:
These are obviously a dud product and a blight on the stellar XTR reputation. Pedal shoppers, buy something else. Shimano, these have destroyed my faith in XTR. These are Hall of Shame material.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Several Shimano SPD's + Wellgo, Ritchey, Crank Bros.

Bike Setup:   Dual sus trail setup

Submitted by Dave S a Racer

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2012

Strengths:    - Good solid platform
- Adjustable cleat tension

Weaknesses:    - Poor bearing quality
- Poor seal quality/fit
- Poor performance in muddy conditions
- Worthless warranty backup and customer service

Bottom Line:
I used these pedals with Shimano M315 shoes, and found the pedal/shoe interface very solid - it felt great on the road or for any rides not requiring a bit of walking/running, but as soon as the shoe sole got mud through it, engaging the shoe into the pedal became very difficult. This was never an issue with the older (M970 model) pedals in my experience.

The main issue I have with these pedals is the longevity of them - I went through a set of bearings in ~8 months. I'm fastidious when it comes to maintenance, and have never experienced a failure like this in such short time.

One of the reasons I (used to) buy XTR components was because of the excellent 3 year warranty offered - apparently this is of little value. My local distributor insisted it was my fault the left pedal seized on the axle, and that the right had excessive slop. Both pedals had crappy seals, meaning they needed adjustment/re-greasing every 50 hours or so.

I've been a SPD fan for years, having used almost all of Shimano's pedal range on the road and MTB, but after this shocking service I'll be swapping my pedals out for other brands as they require replacement.

I wouldn't recommend these pedals at all - they are expensive, don't perform well in inclement conditions, don't last anywhere near as long as they should, and have a flimsy warranty on them.

Similar Products Used:   M970 XTR, M540, M520, M505

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Highball with full XTR, ENVE/DT240 wheels, etc

Submitted by Dan

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2012

Strengths:    Light, good power transfer.

Weaknesses:    Bearings wear prematurely.

Bottom Line:
After around 1000 miles bearings are gone. For the price of these pedals, they should last much longer. First time I've had problems with Shimano pedals. Too bad. I hope Shimano addressess this.

Submitted by Radical Rad a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2012

Strengths:    Fairly light for Shimano. Definitely lighter pedals out there but for racing, these work. I saved about 77 grams going from M520 to M980. No problems clicking out when in a panic situation.

Weaknesses:    I have about 1000 miles on the pedals and the bearing is done. There is alot of play between the bearing and the spindle. I hope there is a service kit out there. My M520 are in better shape.

Bottom Line:
If you have the money, get the pedal. If you dont mind replacing the bearing, then go for it. Very disappointed in the bearings already failing. I should have looked at the M970s.

Favorite Trail:   Rancho PQ

Purchased At:   Blue Sky

Similar Products Used:   Shimano M520 SPD pedal

Bike Setup:   2010 Niner Jet 9, XT build, EC90 parts and Roval Control SL 29 wheels set

Submitted by EltonP a Cross Country Rider from South Africa

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2012

Strengths:    Light and good mud shedding. Low stack height.

Weaknesses:    Specifically the M80 pedal. Most disappointing Shimano product that I have ever purchased. Spindle bearings have massive play after only six months of use. Previously used M970 which lasted for more than 8 years. In fact I have put the 970's back on my bike as they are now in better condition than these disasters after six months of use.

Bottom Line:
Do yourself a favour and avoid these pedals. Rather go for the M970 if you can find them, The 970's are ultra reliable and there is not much weight or performance penalty.

Favorite Trail:   van Gaalens

Purchased At:   Cain Reaction Cycles

Similar Products Used:   M747 and M970.

Bike Setup:   Specialised Epic. Full XTR.

Submitted by Furrner a Cross Country Rider from Chattanooga

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2012

Strengths:    Positive feel when clipping in/out after shoe modification and seems to shed mud well

Weaknesses:    Poor/weak sealing less than 100 miles before the seal blew out and significant play developed. I had to cut part of my shoe sole away as clipping in/out was almost impossible due to interference with the pedal body (new Shimano design for added foot stability). My shoes are Carbon soled Shimano.

Bottom Line:
Not impressed by my first "expensive" pedal purchase. I have run Wellgo MG18-ti pedals for the last 9 or 10 years on all our bikes and never had any big issues and several pairs are still going strong albeit with a little play. I can no longer find them so decided to give the new 980 series pedals a try as they are lighter than older Shimano offerings. The first set lasted about 3 months/500 miles(?) before the pedal seal popped out and significant play developed. Shimano replaced them and now the new set is dead with the same problem after about 100 miles. I could understand it if I was a big guy but I only weigh 180 lbs +-. Shimano is replacing them but I will be putting the new ones on ebay and getting some of the older 970 pedals as they seem to be bulletproof.

See this mtbr thread for info. http://forums.mtbr.com/shimano/pd-m985-pedal-issues-711922.html

Similar Products Used:   Shimano DH SPD, Welgo MG18 Ti

Bike Setup:   Lynskey custom SS blinged

Submitted by Michael L a Cross Country Rider from Pasadena, Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2011

Strengths:    Note:this is a m-970 review

Weaknesses:    Harder to clip in especially when muddy, easy to accidentally clip out.

Bottom Line:
Big note here- this is a review of the m-970 not the m-980.Why is there no review space for the m-970? they are still being sold new. Anyway maybe I just need to fiddle more with the adjustments but these are not as good as the old 747's. I'm replacing a broken axle on my old 747 and going back to those where I can easily clip in and STAY in.Some old Shimano stuff is better than current like the 8 speed drivetrains.

Favorite Trail:   Strand Hill, Crested Butte

Purchased At:   Wheel World

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 747

Bike Setup:   Yeti ASR with bells and whistles

Submitted by RJB a Racer from ft. wayne IN

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2011

Strengths:    Solid engagement and feel, easy entry and release with great clearance and once your riding you never think of them again!!

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I have raced and trained with these pedals all season and love them. I had been using crank brothers pedals for the last 10 years, but have grown tired of their unreliability.
Last pair wore out in less than 9 races during dry conditions.Added bonus with the shimano's is if you forget your bottle opener, the shimano pedals work very well indeed!

Purchased At:   Summit city bicycle

Similar Products Used:   crank brothers SL 3

Submitted by iusufachi a Cross Country Rider from Brasov, Romania

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff, good looking

Weaknesses:    Better mud shedding than the other Shimano SPD pedals but still not as goods as Crankbrothers Eggbeatter.

Bottom Line:
After using the PD-M520 I told myself that I will never use Shimano pedals again because the PD-M520 got deteriorated fast due to excessive use. I considered the Eggbeaters were perfect for me. I used them for about 5 years and felt sad when I saw that the spring lost a lot of tension. At that point I decided to give the new XTR's a chance. These pedals are incredibly stiff and all the power is transmitted to the crank. Clipping in is easy and you feel very secure when riding. These pedals are better in the mud than the rest of Shimano's pedals, but if the mud is very sticky everything is compromised. Even Eggbeaters had problems in the worst conditions because the cleats get loaded with mud.
The 980's haven't let me down yet and I believe that they won't very soon. I consider my money well spent.

Purchased At:   bikeexpert.ro

Similar Products Used:   Shimano PD-M324, Shimano PD-M520, Crankbrothers Eggbeater SL

Bike Setup:   Merida Matts Pro frame, RockShox Reba fork, Hayes Stroker Carbon brakes

Submitted by panzer07 a Weekend Warrior from Fremont CA

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2011

Strengths:    Light- 305 grams, lower profile, less hot foot, works well in mud, superb action clicking in and out, durability - got 8 years out of my older XTRs

Weaknesses:    none, zip

Bottom Line:
I have been biking for 20+ years and these are the best pedals I have tried so far. My old XTRs worked great and lasted 8 years but these are better in the mud, lighter more compact profile - less pedal strikes. I am scratching my head thinking the other guys that slammed this pedal must work for Crank Brothers - seen too many of those with broken spring rendering pedal useless. Try these and you will love them!

Favorite Trail:   SawPit

Purchased At:   Blue Sky

Similar Products Used:   XT, older XTR, Xpeedo, Girvin Ti

Bike Setup:   Niner Rip9

Submitted by WaState a Weekend Warrior from Kirkland, WA

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2011

Strengths:    Fairly light, looks good

Weaknesses:    Expensive, not as comfortable as the previous Shimano pedals

Bottom Line:
I totally agree with previous comments. We have a lot of mud in the Pacific Northwest and clipping into these pedals when there is mud on the sole of your shoes is next to impossible. My previous Shimano pedals worked really well in the mud, but these suck. The pedal itself stays clear of the mud, but you can't clip in or once you do you have no float whatsoever which puts tension on your knees. Even though I like the relatively light weight, I too may switch back to my older Shimano pedals.

Purchased At:   Downhill Zone

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur LT Carbon

Submitted by madskatingcow a Cross Country Rider from Tienen

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2011

Strengths:    Increased platform, providing stable support for your foot, excellent bearings. No wear on the shoe soles like Crank Brothers / Time Atac XS pedals.

Weaknesses:    Very tight fit compared to the previous PD-M970's, making clipping in a lot harder, less floating feeling, resulting in more stress on the knees.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden these pedals for about three months. The cleat mechanism of the PD-M980 seems to sit lower compared to the platform than the PD-M970.

a) This results in a very tight fit, and make clipping in a lot harder.

b) Your foot can not move as freely as with the PD-M970. In my opinion, they are too tight.

I have the PD-M970 on my other bike, and like them a lot more as the newer ones. Might switch back to PD-M970's. Personally, these pedals are a step backward compared to the PD-M970's.

Purchased At:   www.starbike.com