Shimano Saint PD-MX80 Pedal

3.5/5 (4 Reviews)

Shimano Saint MX80 DH pedal. The MX80 features a slim, low profile design to minimize pedal strike. Shimano added a wider cage to accommodate non-cleated shoes and easy to install replaceable grip pins. The axle is made of durable Cromoly with sealed ball

Submitted by Eric Bowman a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2015

Strengths:    -Price...compared to other high end pedals you can find these for a steal
-Design...love the way they look
-Serviceable...you can swap out the internal components yourself
-Studs...easy to add longer studs as they are just machine screws

Weaknesses:    -Often come over packed from factory with grease but doesn't necessarily hurt anything.
-A little thicker and heavier than the competitors.

Bottom Line:
The good: Design is great and I love the fact you can service the internals yourself if/when needed. Also really appreciate the thought Shimano put into the studs. If you need longer studs for grip, you can simply go purchase some stainless steel machine screws from a hardware store. No expensive proprietary studs to purchase. They are much more reasonable than the competition out there as well. If you look around you'll find these for far less than $100 USD. I think I paid $60-70 for my set. Finally, I have crashed them into a few rocks roughly and other than scratches they are holding up quite well. I'll take a thicker pedal over a super thin pedal any day.

The "bad": My right pedal was overpacked with grease, which isn't a huge problem and apparently is a well known issue with this particular model. The pedal still spins freely but it doesn't spin as freely as the left pedal. Nothing you would notice when riding but I'm a little obsessive so it bothers me. They are definitely thicker than other models I was considering, but are much thinner than the WellGo pedals that were OEM on my bike. Finally, weight weenies claim they are heavy, but I really couldn't care less about the weight.

Favorite Trail:   Grotpeter Trail - Castlewood Park

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   chainreactioncycles.

Bike Setup:   2014 Rocky Mountain Instinct 930

Submitted by mevnet a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2014

Strengths:    Grip, built, looks

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
Great pedal from a reputable manufacturer. And when spending just 60$ for them is hard to resist. I did struggle to find the dimensions of this pedal online, so when i got my hands on a pair I put together a short video:

Overall very happy with them, hope they will last

Duration Product Used:   1 week

Purchased At:   Chainreactioncycles.

Similar Products Used:   Wellgo

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel EX 7

Submitted by RoboS a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2014

Strengths:    Price, grips well enough

Weaknesses:    Reliability

Bottom Line:
Bought these pedals when they were released, been happy with them few months, then they developed play between pedal body and axle. So I opened them, found that bearing was set perfectly and there is something else wrong. I showed it to Shimano technician who immediately gave me new set of pedals. He told me that was a manufacture fault. I thought that all my pedal problems are gone, but after 1 year, on the wildest descend my right pedal jammed. I almost crashed. Then the jammed pedal started to move, but it squeaks a lot. Then it jammed again and again. Then I met the same Shimano technician, but he could not help me, said that I need to warranty that, but warranty period is over. So I did bearing overhaul and I'm selling these pedals right away. Never had so many problems with pedals.

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Purchased At:   bike-components.de

Bike Setup:   Mondraker Foxy

Submitted by Miles Whitman

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2013

Strengths:    Price! Tough; Look classy, and can fit any color bike. Also, scratches are not obvious due to the silver color; Plenty grippy. Adjustable pin length via removable washers. Perfect sized platform for my relatively thin feet (could be a weakness if you are Sasquatch)

Weaknesses:    A little heavy (not bad for downhill, tough as nails pedals) and thick (if you like the look of super thin pedals, don't get these); Pins are shorter than I'd like, even after removing the washers, but with proper shoes it's not a big issue.

Bottom Line:
These pedals are an incredible bargain at $64US. I have been using them all season and aside from minor scratches, they are just as good as the day I put them on my bike. Even the scratches are not eye-catching due to the silver, industrial-looking color. The gold spindle adds some nice flare. My only real complaint is the length of the pins, which, with proper MTB shoes would not be an issue, but with my crappy Vans I find myself re-positioning a lot. Also, some might find them a bit too heavy and thick, but as they are downhill pedals, weight isn't a big concern in my opinion. The thickness hasn't caused me any problems, though if you like the look for thin pedals, these might not be what you're looking for