Shimano PD-MX30 Pedal

4.14/5 (21 Reviews)
Weight : 492 grams MSRP : $119.99

Tired of your plastic pedals breaking upon impact?Shimano has a solutionTo That annoying problem.The MX30 pedals are pure strength. BothThe cage and pedal body are constructed out of aluminum andThe spindle is made of chrome-moly. p.MsoNormal{margin-top:0in;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:10.0pt;margin-left:0in;line-height:115%;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}p.MsoListParagraphCxSpFirst{margin-top:0in;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:0in;margin-left:.5in;margin-bott

Submitted by MAFisher a Downhiller from sterling

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2009

Strengths:    Durable, reliable and incredible design. They have lasted more than 20 years of hard riding.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Best pedals, best bike component of all time.

Favorite Trail:   leominster state forest

Purchased At:   unknown in 1987

Similar Products Used:   Never needed anything else.

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Boise

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2008

Strengths:    Light for a flatpedal. Spins nicely after 2 years. Looks svelte. Found it for a good price.

Weaknesses:    Comes with extremely short pins installed--you have to take 15 min to change them to the included "long" ones. Even those would be small for some riders. A few pins on the corners have been sheared off from striking rocks hard at speed. This wouldn't happen with the odysseys I once had.

Bottom Line:
Sometimes I just don't feel like getting a pile of equipment ready to go ride. Throw on the nearest athletic shorts, sneakers and helmet and go ride the small hills on the dirt trails for a hard 45 minutes with the SS. That usually includes the "rock garden" even though this bike is poorly equipped for riding a rock garden.

For this cross-country, yet completely non-aerobic pedal mashing, these pedals have served me very well. With all the quick dismounts on this bike and the pure unadulterated mashing that goes on flat pedals are perfect.

They are light and durable for that use. I think they have the right amount of grip for that as well. I would not recommend them for freeride though. The pins are probably too small to begin with and can get sheared off or smashed if the pedals are hitting things frequently.

Not the end-all but a good pedal. Oh yeah and these thread in and out of the crank easily, yet don't come loose either. The time's and crank brothers I have are guilty of threading in either too easy or too hard but its not a big issue just an annoyance.

Favorite Trail:   Smooth rolling singletrack with vegetation!

Purchased At:   auction

Similar Products Used:   Odyssey twisted. Beefier non-removable pins. Otherwise they were heavier and probably wouldn't spin as smoothly for as long.

Bike Setup:   26" wheeled xc singlespeed and semislick tires--My commuter and short-ride bike.

Submitted by Hui Chuen Chuang a Downhiller from Penang, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2007

Strengths:    It's super strong and the platform has awesome grip. And I only put 7 pins out of 10 holes in each side of each pedals. They are super grippy in wet as well. Big platform.

Weaknesses:    I don't know why but these few days it has started to creak.

Bottom Line:
Good pedal for freeriding and downhill.

Favorite Trail:   Penang Hill, Mt. Erskine

Purchased At:   Second Hand

Similar Products Used:   Odyssey Triple Trap

Bike Setup:   2001 Stinky Primo, Domain 318, Holzfeller, Juicy 7, Dual Duty FR, HighRollers and Shimano MX30 (DX) pedals.

Submitted by spiro vagenas from Denmark

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2007

Strengths:    Design
looks
durable

Bottom Line:
Quality product that gets the job done. No fuss huge pedal area for the downhiller.

Purchased At:   Rolsted

Similar Products Used:   many

Bike Setup:   koga miyata tls

Submitted by martin shortt a Downhiller from london

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2007

Strengths:    Grippy, Light,

Weaknesses:    Bearings and shimanos inability to use cartridge bearings

Bottom Line:
great pedals, use the long pins though.

i have just changed the pins for the first time since buying these 5 years ago. dont bother with the allen keys as they will be full of mud etc. use plyers and if thatdoesnt work cut a groove in the pin with a small hacksaw and use a screw driver to remove.

havent changed the bearings though but wish shimano used cartridge bearings as then these would be great pedals. cest la vie

Purchased At:   action bikes wimbledon london

Similar Products Used:   lots of pedals

Bike Setup:   keewee cromo 8, monster ts

Submitted by Ion a Weekend Warrior from Jakarta

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2006

Strengths:    Great Looking, Light, Very Grippy...

Weaknesses:    Although I never hit the pedals on anything hard yet, since the pins are small and tiny, it might be hard to change the pins if they get bashed. Durability is still in question...

Bottom Line:
I chose this over the 5050 due to the price... The price is quite reasonable here. I tried using the regular pins at first, it was much grippier than the stock truvativ hussefelt. Then I change the outer pins with the long pins supplied. I notice a great difference in grip and was really happy with it! Really add confidence in jumping around and dropping off. I would really recommend this pedal. I have not ridden on it long enough and don't know about its durability once the pedal gets hit hard (althogh not planning to) 5 chilis for now!

Similar Products Used:   Wellgo LU-998 (small platform hence very unstable when jumping off), Truvativ Hussefelt (big stable platform but very slippery).

Bike Setup:   Giant Faith 3

Submitted by Matt a Downhiller from Aspen,CO

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2006

Strengths:    Looks, super grippy, pin placement

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I used the Azonic A-frames for 2 years and thought those were pretty sweet. I was planning on swapping the DX for the A-frames when my new bike arrived. After 6 days of riding, I'm confident that the DX pedals are even grippier than the A-frames. Of course I also wear FiveTens, but my feet have only slipped off the pedals once... luckily I was wearing shinguards. If you want grip get these.

Purchased At:   Stock on bike

Similar Products Used:   Azonic A-frame, Axiom

Bike Setup:   GT DH-i

Submitted by Kevin Moynihan a Downhiller from San Luis Obispo CA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2006

Strengths:    Super Grippy
Strong
Smooth

Weaknesses:    Cost

Bottom Line:
Swithc to the long pins and use loctite. If you slip pedals wear pants or shin guards, but if you want the perfect all around pedal this is it. It's not exceptionally thin, like flatboys or aircorp, but these are only slightly thicker, and the better concavity makes them ride much better. I just checked and they can be found for 50-60 dollars, and at that price range, the only question is clipless, or shimano DX...

Favorite Trail:   suicide

Purchased At:   Wheelworld

Similar Products Used:   Everything besides shinburgers.

Bike Setup:   Morewood Shova LT

Submitted by Kat a Downhiller from New York

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2005

Strengths:    Lightweight but strong, silver color (hides scratches better), great pin placement.

Weaknesses:    None, maybe the price if you are on a tight budget.

Bottom Line:
I was on some local trails one day and the bearing went on my right Truvativ pedal. I ran to the LBS to get a new pair so the day wasn't wasted and these Shimanos were all they had. I bought them half hearted but once I tried them they were amazing! They are so light but durable. I left them on and use them at Diablo (NJ) all the time. If you know that terrain you know about the massive rocks that really give your pedals a beatdown. They've stayed strong and have impressed me all summer. If you are looking for a lightweight flat you really can't go wrong. Might be pricey for some but I thought it was worth it.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Planet

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ, Planet X, Crankbrothers 5050

Bike Setup:   2004 Santa Cruz VP Free, 888RC, Fox DHX 5.0

Submitted by Ken a Cross Country Rider from Portland

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2005

Strengths:    Solid, good looking, shimano

Weaknesses:    Price, says BMX on the box???

Bottom Line:
At first, I was a bit upset by the fact I had been sold a pair of pedals for $100, but when I went home and tuned up the bike I climbed some trails and I passed all technical parts that I usually arent able to do.
So bottom line, I am very happy with those cool looking pedals. Get them on Ebay though, a lot cheaper.

Purchased At:   FTF

Similar Products Used:   Old pedals.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek 4500

Submitted by Borislav Dopudja a Cross Country Rider from Dugo Selo, Croatia

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2005

Strengths:    It is a nice pedal, rolling werry nice, nice shape and look, service free.

Weaknesses:    MX30 has werry weak pins, so, if you hit something, pin will flattern. Read other reviews about that. Pedals SNAPED on drop. :( And almost my balls went with them. :(( End of the pedal axis is werry tiny (4mm i think) and on one drop it snapped.

Bottom Line:
Good pedals for nice riding, without drops or agressive riding.

I am waintg for replacement, but I think that I will be selling them same moment when I get replacement.

Thinking of buying Truvativ Holzfeller or DMR V 8 or V12.

Purchased At:   Buhin

Similar Products Used:   Wellgo, LX, XT...

Bike Setup:   Cannodnale f400.

Submitted by Toucan Dan a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2005

Strengths:    Nice to look at.
Really grippy with the longer pins.
Light for their size.
Very smooth while new.

Weaknesses:    Pins are as sharp as surgical tools.
Seemingly unservicable.
Fragile, given their intended use.

Bottom Line:
These pedals cost enough that I thought I'd get a long run with them, but I was wrong. The pedals are faultless in their performance until they start to show signs of wear. The pins are hollow and can be removed with an allen key that fits down the centre, but the pins soon fill with grit which has to be cleaned out before you can get them off again. If you happen to bash any of the pins, as would happen during normal use, they will deform and make it impossible to get the allen key in to change them again. Worse still, a misshapen pin can become really sharp and I ended up with a rather nasty gash to the back of my leg on one occasion. However, this is not that which irks me, so read on.

These pedals are not user-servicable. They are sealed, which is good as it tends to keep the muck out, but they also appear impossible to service. After two years of mainly trail riding they are showing their age. I admit that I have dropped off some small stuff onto concrete and they began to squeak (but, eh?, aren't these bmx inspired pedals?). Now that the squeak has become an almighty creak that scares the badgers from the undergrowth, it is time to open them up and treat them to some careful attention. However, a plastic ring forms the seal on these pedals and this appears as though it will break while being removed. The plastic seal is knurled such that you'd think that it is just finger tightened, but I can't shift it with my fingers - and I'm left tempted to use evil tools such as multigrips. Hence the pedals seem effectively a sealed unit. A few replacement ball bearings and some grease might give these pedals a new lease on life, but I reckon the process of opening them would spell the end of these guys. The bottom line is that these pedals were expensive but have died as quickly and as the cheaper pedals on my commuter.

So long, and thanks for all the scars.

Favorite Trail:   The Beast

Purchased At:   CRC

Similar Products Used:   Atom lab stuff.
El Cheapo stuff.

Bike Setup:   Cove Stiffee in trail riding mode.

Submitted by Danni Frikk a Downhiller from Iceland

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2005

Strengths:    Good grip, still works when they get wet. Strong. Not hevy.

Weaknesses:    Pins come loose, but you just have to use gengjulím(icelandic)= special glue.

Bottom Line:
Good product, very expensive in Iceland (like everything). I have used many platform pedals and thees are the best!!! Solid grip in agressive downhill riders.
(sorry for my english spelling)

Favorite Trail:   Úlvarsfell