Shimano PD-M970 Pedal

Weight : 25 grams

Submitted by cobym2 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2014

Strengths:    Utterly reliable and bombproof, perfect float and engagement, adjustable tension

Weaknesses:    They no longer make them.

Bottom Line:
I have been using Shimano pedals since I went clipless, and these have been my staple pedals for my xc and trail bike. They are simply unkillable. I have been using mine in all sorts of conditions, deep muddy sand, gravel, lahar, banged them on rocks and such, for the past 6 years and thousands of kms. They have no slop, no looseness, spin smoothly, and for all intents and purposes, are the same way as when they were brand new.
As with all shimano clipless pedals, the adjustable tension is a useful feature (light when commuting, firmer on technical trails, and tight on pure xc epics. Engagement is crisp and reliable all the time and in all conditions.
Today, I opened them up for the first time just because I was curious about the grease inside, and not because of any roughness or failure. The grease inside was still clean. Dropped a dollop of fresh grease, closed them up and are happily back on the bike, hopefully for a few more thousand kms. They look like crap now, and dont really jump at you when new, but these pedals are perfection from the reliability standpoint. I would probably say these are the best clipless pedals out there, ever! Sadly, the PD M980 which succeeded them were not the same. So, if you find a pair NOS of these PD 970s, grab them immediately.

Duration Product Used:   at least 6 years

Similar Products Used:   PDM647, PD424, PDM320, Saint flats, Straitlines, etc.

Submitted by Climber999 a Cross Country Rider from Englewood, NJ 07631

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2009

Strengths:    Great engagement/disengagement; connection is firm and secured; durable; reasonably light; mercifully it lacks gaudy bling; zero maintenance.

Weaknesses:    Minor and foolish on my behalf, but I don't care much for the product's grey color. It does not match anything on my bike. To boot, components that get beaten, like pedals, should be in all sliver. That way the blemishes don't stand out.

Bottom Line:
You can grease your Eggbeaters' bearings and rebuild their internals. In the meanwhile I'll be out there riding my bike...

But seriously folks, these pedals are splendid. You can bash them and purchase CB, which I did to my sorrow, but when you ride your sexy pedals you'll never be connected to the bike as with SPDs. The float is simply too great.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   CB Eggbeaters SL, CB Candy SL, other SPD pedals.

Bike Setup:   Niner One SS with a lot of good stuff.