Shimano PD-M959 Pedal

• steel spindle

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by GriswaldE46 a Weekend Warrior from Merritt Island, Fl

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2008

Strengths:    Shimano durability and reliability.

Weaknesses:    None that I have experienced.

Bottom Line:
    Like someone else said earlier, it's the things that you take for granted and never have trouble with that become some of the best parts. I loved the 747's and the 959's just continued that love affair. Zero maintenance and one pair of new cleats. Absolutely bullet proof. I think I will get another pair before they become unavailable! The 747's on the old hardtail look a little chunky.

Favorite Trail:   Jones Trailhead, Snow Hill Road

Purchased At:   Gift

Similar Products Used:   Shimano PD-M747

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz BLT, Fox shocks, Avid Juciy brakes and XT most every where else.

Strengths:    works fine

Weaknesses:    one I got the pedal caught on a rock and lost a pin. My shop had replacements at no charge. It was not a big problem

Bottom Line:
    there's always going to be someone who has something bad to say about something. I got my first pair of these at Interbike 2001 for @ 65 dollors. I liked them so much I bought an other.

Submitted by Htail a Cross Country Rider from SF Bay Area

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2007

Strengths:    Reliability, consistent, don't have to think about them, just ride.

Weaknesses:    Weight?

Bottom Line:
    In the years that I've had these pedals, friends with other brands like Crank Bros have broken pedals, and have had misc problems. 4 years later I realize that I've had zero issues with these pedals. Sometimes the components you don't have to think about are the best things on your bike...these are one of them.

Not the lightest, but simply consistent, durable and reliable. Requires a little lube where the cleat engages to quiet metal/metal squeak, otherwise they just keep working without thought. Great pedal.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 524

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Perth, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2007

Strengths:    Easy to enter and exit (everytime). "Never" need servicing.

Bottom Line:
    This is a great pedal. I use these pedals for touring, mountain biking and commuting and they have been through some rough weather and have done many many kilometres, and they are still as good as when they were new over three years ago. Entry into and exit out of the pedal couldn't be easier and this is the reason I use them for commuting. Starting on steep uphills is never a problem as your foot naturally clips in every time (much easier than the Look Pedals I have on the racing bike).

Similar Products Used:   Shimano PD-M540

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX for touring and offroad, Trek 1500 for commuting, Trek 5200 for having fun.

Submitted by Mark from Australia

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2007

Strengths:    These pedals are strong, fairly light, and most importantly, offer ease of entry and release. I used to run Time ATACs (the old versions),and those were grabby and sometimes didn't let you go when you wanted to. Not so with the 959's. Even though these are mountain pedals, I use them for city riding, since the pedal bodies are large enough to stand on without being clipped in.

Weaknesses:    I haven't had any problems with them. Perhaps retail is a bit expensive, but www.cellbikes.com.au has them at a decent price if you're in Australia.

Bottom Line:
    If you need a pedal that is big enough to ride on while you're not clipped in, and you want to be able to clip out at a moments notice without having to worry about getting stuck, these pedals do the job. I can't wait to try the new XTR's, which I believe are just these, but with a diff colour scheme and hollowed spindles.

Purchased At:   www.cellbikes.com.au

Similar Products Used:   Time ATACs

Bike Setup:   GTB track bike, Nitto steel anatomic track bars, Campy Record aero seatpost, Cinelli old school track stem, and Shimano 550's running with a Surly Fixxer with 42-16 gearing (Sydney has a lot of hills and I've got creaky knees)

Submitted by Daniel Defoe a Cross Country Rider from United Kackdom

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2007

Strengths:    Light, well designed, excellent clip in and out, reliable, dependable, long lasting.

Bottom Line:
    Excellent and reliable pedal with a reliable and dependable click in and out on every occassion.
    Light weight, superbly sealed cartridge bearings and great mud clearance lift this pedal into the totally excellent class that is attributable to only a very few pedals on the market.

Favorite Trail:   Marin Trail

Purchased At:   Leisure lakes

Similar Products Used:   So, so many.

Bike Setup:   marin Rift Zone

Submitted by Daniel Defoe a Cross Country Rider from United Kackdom

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2007

Favorite Trail:   Marin Trail

Purchased At:   Leisure lakes

Similar Products Used:   So, so many.

Bike Setup:   marin Rift Zone

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Oklahoma City, OK USA

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2007

Strengths:    Solid durable product. Consistent engagement. Easy entrance and release. Also has enough platform so you can pedal efficiently without being clipped in.

Weaknesses:    I haven't noticed any

Bottom Line:
    Unlike others I haven't had any issues with these breaking and I'm about 200 lbs. They've taken root and rock hits and look beat up but still work like a champ. I'd buy them again but I got a smokin good deal on some 970 XTR's that I'll be reviewing shortly.

Favorite Trail:   Draper

Purchased At:   I forget

Similar Products Used:   OE Shimano pedals

Bike Setup:   2005 Stump expert

Submitted by Tom Piccirilli a Weekend Warrior from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2006

Strengths:    Durability and reliability

Weaknesses:    Absolutely none!

Bottom Line:
    Look no further. These pedals can take such an awful beating and work flawlessly. I've used them for light freeriding for over 3 years and amazed they haven't broken after repeated rock bashing. Confidence inspiring never worry about getting stuck clipped in, even in muddy conditons.
    When these die, I'll buy another pair.

Similar Products Used:   other cheap pedals that cause wrecks from getting stuck clipped in.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler

Submitted by Oswald a Cross Country Rider from Brakel, Belgium

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2006

Strengths:    Very durable, easy to get in and out of, great customer service in Europe.

Weaknesses:    Could be lighter.

Bottom Line:
    I've been enjoying this set for 5 years now. The body is worn where my soles rubb the pedal now, but I can live with that after 5 years of racing in the Belgian mud. I'm gonna keep them for a few more months and keep my eye on the reviews of the new XTR pedals, which are lighter. These will go on the mudbike where I am sure they will survive at least one more year. New ones will be either 959 (should become cheaper now) or 970.

Favorite Trail:   Houffa, Malmedy, La Roche, ...

Purchased At:   Secondhand

Similar Products Used:   Mostly Shimano spd's

Bike Setup:   Have been installed on several bikes over the past years :-)

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Acworth, Ga, USofA

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2006

Strengths:    easy in and out, fairly light for SPD and seems to shed mud well.

Weaknesses:    weak spindals

Bottom Line:
    I have broken the spindal on two sets of these pedals. My luck, it was the left pedal both times. So, now I have two right pedals. Each pair lasted about a year. I was really cursing Shimano when I was trying to ride the last 13 miles of my MTB ride with one leg yesterday. This was only agravated by the broken spindal stabbing me in the ankle when my foot slipped off it time and time again. I am glad i didnt pay full price for them but I wont buy them again. Figure I'll go for the 540's on Ebay this time and save myself some $.

Favorite Trail:   Chutes& Ladders