Shimano PD-M770 Pedal

Shimano's Deore XT PD-M770 Clipless Pedals Shimano's are some of their lightest off-road pedals featuring proven designs that work in real world conditions. Built on the Shimano's legacy of Quality, Dependability & Endurance.

Submitted by Veda a Cross Country Rider from Asia

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2011

Strengths:    Smoothest SPD pedal I've tried with multirelease. Grips the cleat like no other but releases very easily and accurately.

Weaknesses:    Weight. At 325gr it's hella heavy for a weight weenie.

Bottom Line:
Does everything you want with a cleat but too heavy for any real race usage. That's the only downside. Otherwise it's super durable, accurate, and dependable.

Similar Products Used:   Xpedo, Exustar

Bike Setup:   Used this in all my bikes. Hardtail, fullsus...

Submitted by mbrennwa a Cross Country Rider from Zurich, Switzerland

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2010

Strengths:    Does everything it says, except one thing...

Weaknesses:    The is no flats that will allow using a normal pedal key. It only has a hex screw that will bust badly.

Bottom Line:
The pedals do everything they should do, and they do it well -- except for one thing: I wanted to take them off my cranks, so I took out my 8-mm allen key and tried to unscrew them (these stupid pedals cannot be used with a normal pedal wrench!). The screw wouldn't move (yes, I tried to turn it in the right direction!). So I went to my LBS (they are good!), and it wouldn't move. I went to another bike shop and a car garage, no luck. I then went to the mechanical workshop at our Institute (they are the best!), and we tried a lot (grind the axle and fix it in a vice, tried to drill into the hex to remove it from the crank arm), but it wouldn't move. The reason: the hex screw "burst" open (in the corners of the hexagon) and expanded. The allen key therefore did not grip properly, and the screw material was pressed into the thread of the crank arms. The only option I had was to buy a new crankset. This is a VERY poor design for a screw... even the cheapest pedals can be used with a standard pedal wrench -- but not this darn Shimano pedal. WTF!?

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   many

Bike Setup:   Fully, XT cranks.

Submitted by Joe D'Aloisio a Cross Country Rider from Sudbury, Ontario

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2010

Strengths:    Ease of entry and exit. Overall quality of product. Wide variety of parts available.

Weaknesses:    Weight.

Bottom Line:
A great product at a reasonable price. I wanted something reliable: no accidental releases or difficulty clipping in. Adjustability is a nice bonus. Also, from what I understand this product is very durable. The wide variety of SPD pedals on the market also allows me to trade bikes with friends. I'm giving them 4 chilis for value since the PD-M540 is almost the same product but less expensive. Five chilis for performance of course.

Favorite Trail:   numerous

Purchased At:   The Outside Store -

Similar Products Used:   Egg beaters, Look Quartz & other shimano knock-off's

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakota Comp with some after market products

Submitted by Cheburashka a Cross Country Rider from Manchester, UK

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2010

Strengths:    Simple construction, cartridge bearings, good adjustability, mid-light weight.

Weaknesses:    Dodgy factory bearing setup.

Bottom Line:
Excellent in operation, however the right hand pedal of two pairs of these pedals I bought from the same place (CRC) developed play, one within a few months and one within a few weeks. This play is easy to remove however and doesn't require the expensive Shimano tools to remedy - all you need is a socket set, 8mm hex key and an adjustable wrench. Remove the main pedal body from the spindle using the wrench and there are two locking nuts on the outer end of the spindle which set preload on the cartridge bearing unit, it takes a bit of trial and error to get it just right but the whole procedure is only about as hard as taking play out of a headset.

4 flaming poops for value, I paid £50 ($70) each pair
4 overall, would have been 5 but for the fact the bearings need adjusting on too many pairs.

Purchased At:   chainreactioncycles

Similar Products Used:   SPDs since 1997 (535, 515); Crank Bros Eggbeater SL

Bike Setup:   Lightweight hardtail Klein

Submitted by tourist a Weekend Warrior from St. Paul, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2010

Strengths:    Rock solid durable. These are a tested design that is well executed. These pedals aren't anything fancy really but the build quality is very good and they work exactly as they ought. Good retention with easy release.

They don't unclip accidentally like Eggbeaters sometimes do.

Weaknesses:    Mud clearing isn't as good as Eggbeaters. It is still good enough for most applications. These just aren't really a cyclocross in Oregon kind of pedal.

Bottom Line:
Great pedals, solid, reliable and durable. I've got ~4,000 miles on my pair and they are going strong. They don't look new, but they function as well as the day I bought them.

I still prefer the Eggbeaters for cyclocross as they clear mud better, but for everything else these are now my pedals of choice. These are a great all around touring, mountain and dry weather cross pedal.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 520, Shimano 540, Crank Brothers Eggbeater S and C, Candy's

Bike Setup:   Many bikes! These are on a Kona Sutra touring bike. Schmidt dyno hub with Edelux, mashup of XT/LX/Ultegra/Dura Ace at the moment.

Submitted by wsudomo a Weekend Warrior from Jakarta, Indonesia

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2009

Strengths:    Easy to clip in and out, adjustable clips, not heavy at all.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I think I like to go uphill. Hope these clipless pedals will make me a better climber. i am still learning to use these. Hope they will last. I asked the mechanic to get a somewhat loose setting. No problems so far. I only give it three chilis because I haven't used it for too long.

Favorite Trail:   Sentul

Purchased At:   Oki Bike

Bike Setup:   Dean Colonel with v-brake

Submitted by Bmann_mtb a Cross Country Rider from Fredneck, MD

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth and float nice.

Weaknesses:    Nothing so far.

Bottom Line:
I got these because I wanted a upgrade over my older style model shimano pedals. These have been excellent since I got them they solved the noise that the bike shop could not find :) with the issue being the old pedals. Now I have a super smooth ride again. :)

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Bike Setup:   Trek fuel ex8

Submitted by stadel a Cross Country Rider from Zurich, Switzerland

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2009

Strengths:    Nice and smooth when new.

Weaknesses:    Lots of play developed after 6 months of riding.

Bottom Line:
I am very unhappy that such a seemingly high-quality pedal should have such problems after just 6 months of riding. On the right side this was first noticed by pronounced clicking, on the left side the play is less but still there. My old cheapo Via pedals are going back on the bike unless I manage to tighten the bearings again - but I have doubts that the mechanism is still 100% ok. Perhaps this is an isolated case, and if so they are otherwise great pedals, just not for me.

Submitted by mojavehanna a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas, NV. USA

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2009

Strengths:    Solid, light, good looking, smooth in/ out's, durable, industry standard for clipless pedals.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
These are great pedals for the money. Although they are not the lightest out there, they are durable, smooth, and reliable. I like the tension adjustment as it is easy to use and adjusts tension well on either side of the pedal. These pedals release very well and dont release unintentionally unless you have the tension set very loose. They seem to be of great quality and look grear too. I am very happy with these pedals.

Purchased At:   Bluesky Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Tioga, Look, Shimano.

Bike Setup:   GT LTS

Submitted by sbmac a Cross Country Rider from Huntington LI

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2008

Strengths:    Sturdy, affordable, shaved 8 ounces off my bike from the platforms I had.
Easy in and out...my 1st clipless pedals. Adjustable spring for nervous newbies like me!

Weaknesses:    I've heard they're not good in mud, but I've had a bit of mud and wet sand in them with no problems.

Bottom Line:
I was nervous about switching to clipless...worried it would be too hard for an old dog to learn the trick of getting out quickly in a pinch....so far, no worries.
The first thing I noticed was I could climb a tough hill that beat me every time on platforms...now I GET it...BOTH legs spinning at the same time, twice as much crank power...MAN I wish I did this sooner. Once I get really used to clipless, I might switch to Time Atac or Eggbeaters, but these are great to learn on, and have helped my riding.

Favorite Trail:   quiet woods anywhere

Bike Setup:   Spec Pitch Comp

Submitted by gaterose a Cross Country Rider from Tuscaloosa, AL

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2008

Strengths:    Easy to get in and out of, easily adjustable

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I love these pedals, I have only been riding for a little over a year and decided to switch to clipless 6 months ago, first I tried the Candy Cs then the Times (which I bought because of good reviews here) and gave up on going clipless on trails for a while because I couldn't get out quickly enough (or adjust the spring) on technical trails causing several wrecks, which my friends of course found funny, and one minor concussion.. I tried the shimanos on a friends bike and found them VERY easy to get in and out of so I purchased these and haven't looked back or had any problems with getting in and out in emergencys. Some may think ease of egress would cause the shoes to slip out on jumps or hills but I have yet to accidentally unclip and I tend to jump a lot especially when riding around town.. I personally haven't found any problems with mud either, and trust me there is plenty of mud here in Alabama.. I do have Winwood Decksters on one side so that I can ride to school with regular shoes or flip flops.

Favorite Trail:   Sokol

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Crank Brothers Candy C, Time Atac Z

Bike Setup:   Origin 8 RPG,'08 XT Group, SID Race

Submitted by The Kid 5 a Cross Country Rider from PA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2008

Strengths:    Light, Smooth, adjustable, easy to clip in and out of, strong, good quality build.

Weaknesses:    None that I am aware of so far.

Bottom Line:
These are great pedals. I've ridden these pedals for a bit over a month. I bought them from Ebay so I didn't pay full price, and am very happy with my purchase. These are my first clipless pedals. I decided to go all XT, and haven't had any issues. Just a good, solid product.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   2008 Trek 8000. Stock except for these pedals, which are being used with the XT crankset.

Submitted by David Chang a Cross Country Rider from Johor Bahru, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2008

Strengths:    Adjustable cliping...easy to use...firm clipping...light but solid...

Weaknesses:    Not good for muddy trail...hard to clip in when shoe is muddy...bad mud shredding...

Bottom Line:
Is good to use on the trail as it has a firm clipping and it is adjustable according to individual preferences. It has the solid look but it is not that heavy as it look. It give a smooth pedalling flow and climbing has become more and more easier...Overall is good but it is not good when it come to the muddy section...once the trail is getting too muddy condition, the cleat and the clip will give some problem when trying to clip. Mud shredding is bad...not recommended for muddy trail...but still overall it is good to use even for beginner

Favorite Trail:   Plentong Trail

Purchased At:   KHS Boy

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche 2008 HDisc...
All stock part
Except changed the pedal to XT SPD

Submitted by Ed a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2008

Strengths:    Solid clipping, open design, good in mud

Bottom Line:
My reference point before these 2008 XT pedals was the basic Shimano 505's. Overall the XT's are a more open, lighter design, with a good solid connection to the cleat. I just used them in a muddy enduro event, no problems whatsoever clipping back in after sticky clay walking sections. The 505's would have been jammed up for sure. They need an 8mm allen wrench in the spindle to mount them to the crank but I like it better than using a pedal wrench, it allows for the sleek design. I'd recommend these to anyone looking to replace or upgrade from low end pedals. Two thumbs up!

Purchased At:   eBay