Shimano PD-M545 Pedal

4.29/5 (80 Reviews)

• Dual-sided pop-up bindings that position the body at 12.5 degrees angle for easy and fast entry
  • Large cages for non-cleated shoes for all around use
  • Low maintenance sealed bearing cartridge axle
  • Cleat tension adjustment for each rider preference

Submitted by jrogs

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2012

Strengths:    Strong, easy to get in and out, stable.

Weaknesses:    not super smooth, heavy.

Bottom Line:
The outer cage is really nice. These are a great bang for your buck.

Submitted by anthonyi a Weekend Warrior from Sarasota, FL

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2010

Strengths:    Solid and stable. Can really take a beating.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy. Excess mud will give you problems clipping in and out.

Bottom Line:
These pedals are bomb-proof. A few squirts of silicone after every cleaning and an occasional tightening of the screws, and they have performed great for over a year.
Awesome for my first clipless as I still have something under my feet and can pedal even if I don't have the time to clip in. The cage is great protection for the pedals too.
Best to keep some lock-tite on hand for the bolts.

Favorite Trail:   Boyette, Ridgeline

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Only platforms

Bike Setup:   2009 Trek EX8, 2x9, Kenda Nevegal DTCs

Submitted by slago a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2010

Strengths:    Nice platform to use when you can't get clipped in quick enough.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
I LOVE the pedals. My favorite by far. It's also nice that I can hop on my bike without bike shoes for a quick errand or riding around town. They have NEVER let go of me like my WTB pedals did ("shaved" my shin-bone for 10 inches one ride)

Favorite Trail:   Green Belt

Purchased At:   Bicycle Sport Shop

Similar Products Used:   WTB, other Shimano, and the plastic version of this same pedal (cage broke)

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575

Submitted by Max Pizarro a Cross Country Rider from Santiago, Chile

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2010

Strengths:    Like any other SPD, great entry/exit feel, resistent and do not need frequent service. Great for begginers using clipless pedals and all mountain use.

Weaknesses:    Weight, MUD (specially that kind of mud mixed with grass and gets solid quickly)

Bottom Line:
The only issue about these pedals is it's geometry, perfect to accumulate mud. As long as your shoes do not touch the mud, the pedals's performance is amazing. But if they do, the only way to revome the mud is using water and a screwdriver, because trying to clip in can make things even worse, compressing the mud into the binding making imposible use properly the pedal.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in Los Andes Mountains

Purchased At:   California Bicycles,

Bike Setup:   Cannondale RZ One Twenty 2010

Submitted by andrebikeman a Weekend Warrior from Sandy Hook CT, USA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2010

Strengths:    very cool-can adjust-tough-warranty if purchased at lbs

Weaknesses:    outer cage came loose, no biggie shimano covered it under WARRANTY(why do people use ebay?)

Bottom Line:
heavy stuff is okay when you really don't give a left ball
i like fast all mountain riding, so things such as pedals, chainrings, deraileurs and wheels have to let me crash sometimes. beefy components are good

dont buy for XC duh!

Favorite Trail:   where ever my wheels are spinnin'

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   very old shimanos, only for a day, but they've been around 20+years i used strap clips on bmx for half a day that sucked

Bike Setup:   almost stock Cannondale Prohpet mx2, homemade taco, triple ring, nevegals 2.35 2.1, 8 and 7 inch rotors

Submitted by 1illenduro a Cross Country Rider from Whittier,CA USA

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2009

Strengths:    They look real cool & match XT cranks

Weaknesses:    Mounting bolt & spring will come loose if you ride hard DH & do jumps.Mine took about a year for the right peadal to break.It just fell out after a ride & noticed the cage was dangling loose.

Bottom Line:
I like the idea of having a platform around the pedal like flats with spd for bombing DH & rocky terrain.These pedals worked good until the mounting bolt that holds the cage to pedal fell out so my overall rating will just be 2 chilis.They could have been designed better by shimano.But they're pretty good about replacing screws & bolts just give em a call.

Favorite Trail:   Turnbull 7th ave

Similar Products Used:   None just flats

Bike Setup:   06 Enduro,5.0 dhx air,Talas 36 rc2,Mavic sx,nevegals UST,Stroker trail,XT crankset,Sunline carbon v1 bars,ergon enduro grips,stock F&R DR

Submitted by brimar6 a Cross Country Rider from Strafford, NH USA

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2009

Strengths:    These things take a beating and ask for more.

Weaknesses:    Have not found one yet.

Bottom Line:
It seems I may have paid a little more than most, but I'm good with that, my LBS has to make a living too. The thing I love about the 545's is that they eat rocks, the rocks don't eat them.

Favorite Trail:   Woodpecker @ Masabesic

Purchased At:   Tri-City Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Wellgo, other shimanos and something cheap that lasted 2 rides.

Bike Setup:   2009 Pitch Pro all stock except the pedals and some scratches and dings.

Submitted by granke a Cross Country Rider from Canberra ACT Australia

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2009

Strengths:    Combination of the cage and the clip make them very versatile. Good bearings and pin.

Weaknesses:    Outer cage mounting fragile.

Bottom Line:
Switching from hardtail to dual and from flats to clipless at the same time wasn't a good idea, but these pedals did make it easier - allowing me to clip out on more difficult sections to give me the security of being able to put a foot down in an emergency, yet still having a good platform to push against. My only gripe is that after a couple of hard knocks on rock, the outer cage mounting fell off on both pedals. They still work but the cages now flap around more than I'd like and are putting strain/wear on the inner mounting.

Favorite Trail:   Sparrow Hill

Purchased At:   Wiggle

Similar Products Used:   Bontraeger flats

Bike Setup:   Scott Genius with XT throughout. Previously on a Specialised Stumpjumper Comp.

Submitted by GoremanX a Weekend Warrior from Ile-Aux-Noix, QC

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2009

Strengths:    Solid bearings, stiff, decent support from the aluminum cage, adjustable cleat tension, super easy to get out of when needed

Weaknesses:    Heavy, very heavy. Worthless when using regular, cleatless shoes.

Bottom Line:
I'm 6'1", 260 pounds, and I like to pedal HARD. I went through generic pedals on a monthly basis. When I got sick of spending money on cheap pedals every month, I invested in some Bontrager Big Earl platform pedals instead. Those lasted me over 3 years, and are still as good as new. But I wanted to upgrade to clipless pedals, so the search began for a good set that I wouldn't wear through in a month.

I bought these M545's brand new on eBay for a decent price. Amazingly, they're even heavier than my old Big Earl platform pedals, which I originally bought for their burliness and huge bearings. The aluminum cage seems to add a LOT of heft. IANAWW (I am not a weight weenie), but I have to admit that these things have a noticeable heft.

For my first ride with these pedals, I didn't have my new cycling shoes yet, so I went with my regular shoes. The whole ride was a painful nightmare. I ended up with a sore left foot for a week. The mechanism that grabs the cleats sits higher than the aluminum cage, even when it pivots, so my shoes were constantly slipping around. There was absolutely no support. Every bump, every gear shift, every sharp turn would cause my feet to shift around. It was unbearable. I did about 50 miles like this, and I could barely walk when I was finally done.

For the next ride, the shoes I ordered (Lake MX165) were finally delivered, so I finally got to try the pedals as they were intended. It took about 3 miles to figure out where I wanted the cleats positioned, but once they were in place. I was pedaling more efficiently than I ever had before. I can maintain a much higher cadence and travel much faster without expending as much energy as before.

The pedals hold me in VERY securely, I can leap over obstacles with ease and the pedals never let go. I've been able to pull the bike over a foot into the air just with my legs. Even when I'm traveling at 25+ mph and my feet feel like they should be flying off the pedals, everything stays incredibly secure. My feet are always very comfortable, I can go countless miles without any soreness.

As for stepping out, I almost fell the first time I tried. These are my first clipless pedals, and I forgot to practice stepping out before going riding. But in a panic (as the bike was tipping over in front of over a hundred strangers having a company picnic), I was able to step out and keep myself upright. After that, a bit of practicing had me used to the proper motion in no time. Now I step out with ease without even thinking about it, and I've had no trouble getting out in emergency situations. I didn't even need to adjust the cleat tension on the pedals. Even better, I've never stepped out without meaning to.

And finally, the most important aspect, the bearings appear to be surviving my weight and leg strength just fine. The shafts look like they're about the same size as my old Big Earl pedals. After 3 hard months of biking, there's no noticeable clicking or looseness.

I'm very happy with this purchase. Since I paid about the same for these as my previous Big Earl pedals, I'm giving them a solid 5 flaming chilis for value. As for the overall rating, I'm removing one flaming chili because they're practically worthless with regular, non-cleated shoes, and they weigh a ton. Everything else is perfect.

Favorite Trail:   Island Line, Burlington, VT

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Big Earl platform pedals, generic department store pedals

Bike Setup:   '06 Kona Hoss, lots of upgrades

Submitted by fcaw11 a Weekend Warrior from SGV, CA

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2009

Strengths:    I ride occasionally on streets. Thus, I require platform pedal w/SPD. Very durable with alloy cage. Easy to engage/disengage cleats when DH becomes sketchy.

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
If your weight weenie, look else where. If you want to ride to the corner store in sandals, consider the M545

Favorite Trail:   El Prieto

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   M520

Bike Setup:   XC FS rig, mountain mix

Submitted by bigsig a Weekend Warrior from Stanhope NJ

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2008

Strengths:    Strong, takes a beating, easy clip in and out, like having the platform for when I don't want to be clipped in.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
If you ride in very rocky areas this pedal will take the hits. I have been using this model for over 7 years with only recently wearing a set out. Also like the fact that I can un-clip in nasty sections and still ride through without feeling like I'm stuck on the bike. Excellent pedals for the money will buy again. I rate a full 5 for outstanding durability and value.

Favorite Trail:   Stephens State Park

Purchased At:   Cycle Works Stanhope

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jekyll and my old Schwinn Moab.

Submitted by mdewitt71 a Weekend Warrior from Fort Riley, KS

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2008

Strengths:    Build very strong with the metal cage. Easy in and out with the SPDs.
Platform is perfect size to ride without SPDs on shoes and stil maintain your feel on the pedals during rough rides.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Great pedal for the $$$.
Not the lightest but, takes alot of abuse and large enough platform to ride with street shoes. I have been really impressed with these pedals for over 5 years and have not had one issue with them what so ever.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere the Army send me

Bike Setup:   Raleigh M60 with upgrades.

Submitted by Elvin Aquino a Cross Country Rider from Quezon City, Philippines

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2008

Strengths:    Heavy duty; bomb proof (banged these on rocks a number of times and they're still okay); consistent clip-in and clip-out, if you've been using these for some time, clipping-in and clipping-out becomes almost second nature; virtually maintenance-free; wide cage is a plus if you don't wan't to clip in.

Weaknesses:    Weight; Cage spring of my right pedal broke on the first year; SPD logo on the cap assembly disappeared on both pedals within the first year

Bottom Line:
This is the only remaining component from my original bike which I built in 2003. It actually looked out of place when I upgraded to an FS frame in 2006 and upgraded my group set to 08 XTs last December 2007 because the pedals were already old. So what? They were still working fine. My only woe is that the cage spring on the right pedal broke within the first year of ownership, thus, the pop-up binding mechanism wasn't working anymore. But lo and behold, I can still clip in properly even if the binding mechanism doesn't pop out anymore, which actually led me not to bother claiming warranty on it. This also led me to believe that the pop-up feature is something “good to have” but not really necessary. I have taken these things to sandy rides, muddy rides, river crossings, wet and rainy rides; plus I wash my bike after each of these rides; and it held up perfectly well against the elements and moisture. I opened these up back in 2006 to clean the internals and re-grease the bearings, but I haven’t had any major problems with it. Unfortunately during the ride last weekend, the right pedal was grinding quite consistently, but I was still able to finish the ride with no problems. I opened it up again yesterday only to bring some of the bearings on the right pedal already broke and the bearing race’s lip already cracked. Oh well, all good things must come to an end I guess, these things served me well for the past 5 years! =) Now I need to replace my pedals now and I’m going to get the same pair again (unless I get a better deal on the XT pedals which is significantly lighter). If you are a weight weenie racer, these are not for you. But if you are an avid mountain bike rider who doesn’t mind the additional 200+ grams weight and you are looking for good quality pedals that’ll last you a long, long time, get yourself a pair.

Favorite Trail:   Maarat