Shimano PD-M545 Pedal

Weight : 567 grams MSRP : $119.99

This is the more durable and heavier twin to the M424. Both have the same design, with a big, wide cage surrounding a traditional clipless pedal. The M545 has an aluminum cage for durability.

Submitted by olineman a Racer

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2012

Strengths:    Durability, Versatility, Ease of use

Weaknesses:    Weight, Ease of cleaning

Bottom Line:
I have used these pedals for 4 years now on my Trek 26er. Initially I bought them because I have a tendency to hit rocks, stumps, etc. with my pedals and wanted more protection for the pedal. I ride a bit aggressively and have a tendency to break things on my bike.
Although I do not ride this bike often without my shoes on I have enjoyed the larger surface when I just need to pedal it around a short distance or have it out and my daughter wants to take a spin around the block.
They have performed very well for the last 4 years of adventure racing and I have no complaints other than they are heavy and hard to clean. I have recently ordered a new 29'er and will probably put a pair of Shimano XT PD-M780s on it just because they are lighter and I have more confidence in my ability now.

Duration Product Used:   4 years

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT PD-M780

Bike Setup:   Trek 6700 / Motobecane FLY Team 29 Ti

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2012

Strengths:    Easy to adjust, decent without riding shoes.

Weaknesses:    Broke after 8 months and 300 miles of technical trails.

Bottom Line:
These pedals worked well in the woods. I like having the platform for riding around the neighborhood with the kids. It also makes starting on technical sections easier. I broke the outside cage mount off after 8 months of hard riding. I beat them up on rocks and tree stumps a lot so I am not sure what to expect from them. I liked them but will try something different next time.

Bike Setup:   Trek EX-5