Shimano PD-M540 Pedal

4.48/5 (81 Reviews)
Weight : 352 grams (pair) MSRP : $55.00

Shimano PD-M540 Clipless Pedal. Lightweght, strong pedals from Shimano for entry level users. If you're new to clipless pedals, this affordable double-sided pedal with tension adjustment is made just for you.

Submitted by rufio a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2013

Strengths:    Great performance. Adjustable tension.

Weaknesses:    None really.

Bottom Line:
I have used these for some time and I can say that I cannot tell the difference between these pedals and the Shimano M520s that I run on my other bicycles. Given the difference in price and the actual weight savings, I would probably just buy another pair of M520s over these. I like to think of these as the poor man's XTRs.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano M959s
Shimano M520s

Bike Setup:   Surly Karate Monkey with a gravel touring/commuter type of setup.

Submitted by mmontini6289 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2013

Strengths:    Durable, Light

Weaknesses:    Spin when trying to clip in, contact area is small

Bottom Line:
My gripes are that when trying to get into them quickly to get started on a climb, if you don't get in right away it's almost impossible to pedal because they are so small. They tend to spin a little out of the way when trying to clip in. When really pedaling hard up a climb while clipped in, the contact area is so small that it put quite a bit of pressure on my foot. And don't plan on using these to take a short trip to the store without clipless shoes on. Those complaints aside, they are very well built. I smashed them against a few rocks and they barely had a scratch on them. Overall, good pedals. Maybe I will appreciate them more with time.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano PD-M424

Bike Setup:   2012 Giant Yukon FX

Submitted by Cyril B a Racer

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2012

Strengths:    very easy and quick locking & unlocking - quality / price ratio - shoes can be clipped on both sides

Weaknesses:    small surface contact - pure metal - weight

Bottom Line:
At first glance it's easy to be fooled by it's look from another time (full metal with screws, serrated inserts, visible springs, ...). But don't be mislead : below it's full metal aspect, it's hidden a very good VTT pedal. I feared that my foot will be trapped definitively inside this metal claws ; it's not the case at all : the clip in and out was very easy, quick and responsive without sacrificing vertical traction effort of legs.I even made a little test by lowering up the bicycle with one foot clipped on and one on the floor : what a surprise the pedal doesn't event clip out ! Definitively my favorites ones for many years. To see if it's not wearing out too much over years.

Favorite Trail:   race

Similar Products Used:   Look kéo easy (on racing cycle).

Submitted by ncmountainbiker a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2012

Strengths:    Durable, affordable and low maintenance.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I been using these exclusively for over 8 months and I love them. They have been banged on rocks and had mud in them with no issues. I use these on downhill as well and I feel secure even though I know I should be on something with a larger platform like the Mallets by CB. For someone new to clipless these are great since they are very easy to unclip from. There is an adjustment for the tightness on the tension release. I had to increase the tension some due to my feet unclipping from hard landings and jumping, but these aren't exactly made for that anyway. For the price and for someone who does XC riding these are perfect.

Favorite Trail:   Headley Ridge

Submitted by Cormac a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2012

Strengths:    strong build, easy in/out

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
My first foray into clipless pedals and I'm not disappointed. I had been looking into the shoe/pedal combos sold online and either the pedals had bad reviews or the shoes did. These pedals with the shoes I got cost me little over $110, which isn't bad considering the whole clipless thing was more of an experiment for me anyway. I figured if I don't like it I could easily enough sell the pedals. I'd probably be stuck with the shoes though. But whatever, these pedals are adjustable which is the main reason I picked them, but I didn't have the right size allen wrench to adjust em so I left em at the factory adjustment. Preset to the middle tension. Offers easy in and easy out. I just gotta get used to twisting my foot in an emergency situation. Old habits die hard I guess and as a result I've hit the ground still attached to the bike more times than I'd like. But that's my own fault. These pedals seem well build and don't get clogged with mud and leaves to bad. Though I've not gone on any muddy rides since installing these pedals. Even had a rock strike that didn't affect their performance at all.

If your looking for a good first clipless pedals, I'd recommend these. The easy in/out could be made even more so by lessening the tension.

Favorite Trail:   Rum Village

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Sun Ringle Zuzu

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Trail SL4 29er SS

Submitted by greenblur a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2011

Strengths:    You cannot break these pedals. I have smacked them on every rock in central Texas and they work like new.

Weaknesses:    None, unless you really care about weight. I'm 230 lbs, so 310 grams for XTR's vs 352 grams for the M-540's means nothing to me.

Bottom Line:
Spend $50 on these pedals and forget about them. They will be the most reliable part on your bike. The XT and XTR versions may be fractionally better but why spend the extra cash?

Favorite Trail:   Barton Creek Greenbelt

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Salsa Spearfish - Reba RL, X7/X9 shifters/derailleurs, RaceFace Atlas AM crank, Kenda Slant Six tires, ODB lock ons, Fizik seat

Submitted by crosey a Weekend Warrior from Hobart, IN, USA

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2011

Strengths:    Easy in and out

Weaknesses:    Gets clogged in muddy rides

Bottom Line:
Great value purchase. No issues so far. Been riding about 2-3 a week for 3 months. Only downside is during a muddy ride you'll have to clean them at some point.

Favorite Trail:   Outback Trail, Portage, IN

Purchased At:   nashbar.com

Bike Setup:   Motobecane 700HT

Submitted by crosscountryracer137 a Cross Country Rider from Monterey, CA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2011

Strengths:    Amazing durability, Good mud clearance, adjustability, and weight

Weaknesses:    There aren't any

Bottom Line:
These are some of the best pedals I've ever used. They are very durable and perform great. I would definately reccoment these to any riders.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Ord

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   2010 Specialized Epic Pro

Submitted by Helmetless a Weekend Warrior from Santiago, Chile

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2011

Strengths:    Great value, IMO same weight and performance as compared to the XT pedal, which is much more expensive

Weaknesses:    a little heavy...
It would be just perfect if could have a wider surface for feet
Mud is definitely an enemy

Bottom Line:
Great value for the money, 2 years and no issues. If you have so much mud that you can't clip, just hit your shoes against the pedal and the mud will get off

Favorite Trail:   El Condor (must-experience)

Purchased At:   Evobikes, Chile

Similar Products Used:   m505s, Egg Beater SLs

Submitted by graphics1988 a Weekend Warrior from toronto

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2010

Strengths:    quick and easy

Weaknesses:    none so far - maybe weight IF youre a hardcore racer looking to save grams

Bottom Line:
i found the acids awkward to get in and out of - although they felt a tad lighter. I like the Shimano pedals WAY better - SOOOOOO much easier in and out and that leads to more confidence in tricky areas. I think they are a great pedal for BRAND newbies as well as most guys(or girls) up to the near elite racers. The step up to the 900 series would then be the next logical pedal. Ya cant go wrong with these!

Favorite Trail:   uxbridge durham forest

Purchased At:   pedal perf

Similar Products Used:   acid 1

Bike Setup:   2010 trek ex8 - upgraded seat/post, 7 inch rear disc, bars, grips, tires,

Submitted by bikeboatski a Cross Country Rider from Hailey, ID

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2010

Strengths:    Durability, Good mud clearance, adjustability

Weaknesses:    none really

Bottom Line:
They've been through the mill and still work like new. They are all beat up but hold their release settings remarkably constant. To the folks who claim the bearings wear out easily I ask: do you ever wipe the mud and water off of them? Do you weigh over 200lbs and have steel quads? For all us others I think their great pedals. Can't see how the top line pedal could be any better?

Favorite Trail:   Phil's World, Cortez CO.

Purchased At:   forget

Similar Products Used:   Cheaper Shimano styles

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic Marathon

Submitted by kenzen410 a Weekend Warrior from Ellicott City, MD

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2010

Bottom Line:
I switched to these from crank brothers candys. Much easier to unclip in emergency situations. Should have bought these over candys in the first place.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco

Submitted by southy4 a Cross Country Rider from Oz

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2010

Strengths:    Durability

Weaknesses:    If I was going to be picky it would be the Shimano logo wears off very quick. This does not affect there great performance.

Bottom Line:
These pedals have been used and abused for years and have given faultless performance. So much so I just bought a new set for my new bike. Not because these ones are worn out, its just their scratched beaten up appearance looks out of place on my shiny new bike.

Favorite Trail:   Dirt