Shimano PD-M520 Pedal

4.22/5 (144 Reviews)
Weight : 380 grams (pair) MSRP : $60.00

Shimano M520 Clipless Pedal has an all Alloy Body with cartridge bearings. Chrom-Moly spindle, SPD cleat mechanism. Weight 380gms.

Submitted by SnakeHandling SingleSpeeder a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2013

Strengths:    Cheap
Easy to learn on
Light
Spring adjustment
Mud not toouch of an issue

Weaknesses:    Not As much base for pedaling

Bottom Line:
I have two pairs of these- different versions I've gotten used cheap on Craigslist. When I first started clipping in, these were my learning curve. It is so easy for the clear to find the pedal. I would highly recommend for any skill level. Easy maintenance and design. Cheap price but great quality.

Submitted by Jayem a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2013

Strengths:    Pretty much everything. Mud clearance much improved with this generation of pedal. They go forever. They are cheap. They are lighter than the previous generation.

Weaknesses:    One of the few products with none.

Bottom Line:
I've owned just about every shimano pedal out there. My 540s work exactly the same, and the axle is slightly better or something, but I've never noticed any performance difference. You have to step up to XTR to see anything more than a dozen grams or so knocked off, and even then they are outrageously priced for the weight you save, like maybe 50g.

Favorite Trail:   Z

Duration Product Used:   Years

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   520, 515, 530, 545, 434, 647, Legeaters, Mallets, Onza, others I can't remember.

Bike Setup:   Run these on my On-One Fatbike, but I've run the 540s on just about everything I've ever owned.

Submitted by CuzinMike a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2013

Strengths:    Smooth, easy clip-in and release, adjustable retention, cheap and bombproof.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, don't play nice with mud, limited float.

Bottom Line:
I started with an older version of this pedal as my first foray into clipless over a decade ago and I've never had reason to use anything else. The current design is little better in the mud, but just about every other clipless design is still superior in wet conditions. I don't ride when trails are muddy, so this isn't an issue for me.

If you're looking to try clipless for the first time I can think of no better pedal. Buy these and a pair of multi-release cleats, set the retention loose and you'll be as comfortable as you were on flats in no time; they're that easy to get out of.

I'm sure these are too heavy and sub-par for serious racers, but if you just want a no-nonsense pedal that will last a long time I don't see how you could go wrong.

Submitted by Sea Bass

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2013

Strengths:    Solid pedal, all around.

Weaknesses:    Possibly a little heavier than the XT, but I wouldn't hesitate to put a pair on a road bike.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden these things HARD over the past 9 months—they take a boulder beating just fine. For $29.99 at nashbar.com, there is no better pedal for the price. I'd buy 2 more pairs of these M520L's before I even thought about moving up to an $80 pedal.

Submitted by Dick Avabducj

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2013

Strengths:    It's pretty much bulletproof. Not much to go wrong here. I saw a review that said the cage had broke. I would have taken that back to the shop and got a replacement. I've been using these pedals now for four years. They are heavy. Part of the weight however is they click in on both sides. They are really easy to use. It's pretty much step and click. Once you get the springs adjusted for all side, it's foolproof.

I use them on my road bike and my commuter bike. It's a sturdy hard wearing pedal at a very economical price.

Weaknesses:    It is a little heave. But maybe you could lose a few pounds.

Bottom Line:
Great value.

Submitted by mechfishy a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2012

Strengths:    Easy to clip in and out. Spin smooth

Weaknesses:    Compared to XTR are junk. Poor seal design. Even if the bearing lash is properly adjusted they still have play. Pedal-cleat interface make a bothersome click every rotation if you put more than a minimal effort into pedalling. Inner and outer bearing separation too close together will cause rapid bearing wear and instability.

Bottom Line:
New pedals have play, even though the bearing lash is properly adjusted, due to the cartridge design. Seal design and placement is passive placement design, so dirt can easilty enter. The above mentioned clicking is magnified through the crankset and frame making it extremely annoying. Gave up on these after about 100 miles. I've had a complete 950 XTR gruppo, excluding pedals, since 1994 and am very impressed by all of the components. But the newest XTR is way overpriced. I assumed that trickle down tech would follow down to the PD-M520, which is partially true, yet poorly constructed. I assumed these would be better pedals than Forte Carve, even though the Carve pedal has no lash adjustment, and uses a brass bushing on one end, cartridge bearing on the other end, but assumed wrong.

Favorite Trail:   Pavement

Duration Product Used:   4 rides

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Forte Carve.

Bike Setup:   22 lb. hardtail, Trigon rigid fork, full carbon, Taiwan, no-name frame, w/carbon post and handlebars. Radeface Deus cranks 44-32-22. Mavic Crosstrail wheels. Sram 850 11-27 cassette. Shimano IG90 chain. Avid BB7 mechanical disc brakes. Avid rotors. Shimano XTR M950 rapid fire break/shift levers. Shimano XTR RD-M950 rear derrailleur. Shimano XT mega 9 front derrailleur. WTB Speed V saddle. Carbon fibre bar ends.

Submitted by Nor-Cal-Mike a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2012

Strengths:    Great pedal for the price. Looks decent enough. Works very well and the adjustable tension is great for first time clipless riders.

Weaknesses:    Wish the had a better bearing.

Bottom Line:
Nice pedal for the price. Great for first time clipless riders or those on a budget.

Submitted by nickcarll a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2012

Strengths:    The shimano 520 pedal is a Low cost, bomb proof, easy to get in and out of pedal that will not fail you after being smashed off a rock like some over pedals on the market...

Weaknesses:    maybe the weight but that's an issue unless your a pretentious gram counting weenie

Bottom Line:
as I sit here writing this going through the pedals I have used over the past few years, I realize I always come back to the Shimano 520’s. I currently have two sets of them one on my road bike, one on my stumpy, and a set of XT’s on my single speed. I have tried crank brothers as well as times, neither one of which screamed reliability to me like this do. The set of 520’s on my road bike are at least 5 years old, they’ve been through 4 different bikes, and have probably hit every rock in southern Maine they still work flawlessly. These pedals are kind of heavy however that makes them bomb proof and awesome, and realistically they are not a lot heavier than the XTR version, of course if you are a weight weenie gram counter you would not be looking here and reading about these pedals. But for everyone else, meaning you the one looking for a solid pedal without breaking the bank then these are it.

Favorite Trail:   Fort rock

Purchased At:   Gorham bike and ski

Similar Products Used:   crank bros candy's time atacs

Bike Setup:   Stump jumper evo 29 hardtail

Submitted by Hempress a Weekend Warrior from Traverse City, Michigan, USA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2012

Strengths:    inexpensive, good quality, biggish, works well

Weaknesses:    could be heavy, not the easiest to get on (but then again I don't have the proper tools)

Bottom Line:
I'm a first time clipless user and I;m still getting used to these things but they seem great. I can't speak for durability as I've only used them a few times but I love them. I know ya'll have heard it before but these are great beginner pedals, cheap, high quality, works well. The tension adjust is great for a first timer like me and works well. The entry is easy once you get a hold of it (operative words there: once you get a hold of it) and exiting is a no brainer. Negatives sure they're probably heavy and not the easiest to install but when you can such great pedals for a great price these are nitpicks.

Favorite Trail:   VASA Singletrack

Purchased At:   Mclains

Bike Setup:   2008 Specialized Hardrock disk, other than pedals no upgrades

Submitted by shenny88 a Weekend Warrior from Michigan

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2012

Strengths:    inexpensive, strong, not too heavy, spin very well, durable, easy engagement, good adjustability

Weaknesses:    not the prettiest, not the lightest, paint wears quickly

Bottom Line:
A really great value. Excellent intro/budget clipless pedals.

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake

Purchased At:   D&D Bikes Berkley

Similar Products Used:   XT Trail pedals, various platforms

Bike Setup:   80% stock 2011 Trance X3

Submitted by kevinrod1983 a Racer from fall river, ma

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2011

Strengths:    cheap and gets the job done

Weaknesses:    far cry from the XT version

Bottom Line:
if all you want is clipless pedals for your bike, then these are the guys for you

Favorite Trail:   otis and massasoit

Purchased At:   scottees westport bi

Submitted by Holmes a Weekend Warrior from Berthoud, CO

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2011

Strengths:    Cheap, durable, solid engagement, ease of use

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
These are definitely a high Bang For The Buck product. I've used Candy's for awhile, and while those are good pedals the M520 is a superior product in most respects. The Candy is lighter and has a bit more float, but the M520 is far, far more durable and I personally prefer the SPD engagement / release.

Also, a previous reviewer has stated that these are throw-away pedals. That is not true - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXfrmkOTicM.

Purchased At:   fleabay

Similar Products Used:   Crank Brothers Candy's (SL and standard cro-moly axle versions)

Bike Setup:   Voodoo Canzo 29er, Surly Karate Monkey

Submitted by athorman a Weekend Warrior from Peoria AZ

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2011

Strengths:    price, ease of install, adjustability

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
This is my 1st clipless pedal so I went for a product from a name I trust. I couldn't be happier with this product. It was easy to install and the adjustability is great. I'd used clipless before but never owned them. Other pedals were significantly higher priced and the only advantage was a slight weight savings. I would advise anyone looking to get into clipless to consider this pedal.

Bike Setup:   Rockhopper 29'er

Submitted by KBirkhofer a Weekend Warrior from Eustis, FL, United States

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2011

Strengths:    Ease of use. The tension is adjustable and these are easy to clip in and out of. They do very well in muddy terrain; however, muddy terrain here in Florida is more like wet sand, so it really doesn't cake up in the pedals.

Weaknesses:    None noted yet.

Bottom Line:
Was hesitant about converting from a platform to a clipless. Was almost certain there would be a huge learning curve and felt I would have to take advantage of my AFLAC and health insurance. So far the only falls have been because I have been tempting fate or attempting to do things above my ability. If you use commomn sense and operate within your ability, you will find these pedals are all you should need. Based on my knowledge of both road and mountain bikes, I really don't see the need for a more expensive clipless pedal; this one works great.

Favorite Trail:   Santos

Purchased At:   Orange Cycle

Similar Products Used:   None, first clipless pedals.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Marlin

Submitted by xc/mxracer a Racer from ringwood, nj, usa

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2011

Strengths:    cheap
easy to install/adjust
Simple

Weaknesses:    heavy but none other than that

Bottom Line:
i decide to go clipless because im starting to get into racing. i asked the guys at town cycle if the had a cheap entry level for of clipless pedals.they showed me these. i got them a few months ago and the only reason they are scratched is because i fell when i was learning them. i got used to them very quickly and now im loving them.
i would recommend these to the beginning rider or anyone new to clipless pedals.
pros or semi pro should go with the xtr model because it is lighter

Favorite Trail:   red trail