Shimano PD-M324 Pedal

3.7/5 (10 Reviews)
Weight : 520 grams MSRP : $50.40

It's rare to see any pedal that does more than one thing. The M324 is that rarity. One side is a typical caged platform pedal, terms so old few probably understand what they mean. The other side is a SPD pedal. While it looks like a pedal that can't make up its mind, it allows the rider to be of...

Submitted by MichaelG a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2013

Strengths:    Just like some others I too really like the dual role these pedals play. That ability to run down to the coffee shop in whatever I'm wearing yet ride clipless on longer rides. When I decided to try clipless whether or not I'd like riding that way worried me but this design eliminates that worry. The pedals appear to be well made and with Shimano's reputation I have no doubt they'll last. I liked them so much on my one bike that I bought a second pair for my other bike. Another advantage is the ability to ride on either side while wearing my biking shoes (Shimano M33L's equipped with Shimano cleats).

Weaknesses:    Not being too well versed in SPD pedals I cannot compare them to other pedals nor to pedals for other clipless systems. I can see that they seem to be well designed and well constructed.

Bottom Line:
A good pedal and good value for the individual who wants the advantages of a clipless system when clipped in and the ability to wear anything they want to when not clipped in.

Purchased At:   REI, EMS

Bike Setup:   One bike is a light trail bike and the other is a flat-bar road bike.

Submitted by Woodsonnc

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2012

Strengths:    Ability to use flat or SPD

Weaknesses:    Weight, if thats a concern

Bottom Line:
These are my first set of clip in pedals. The thing i like most about them is the ability to use the more efficent clip in side, and the ability to transfer to flat side simply by unclipping and turning over he pedal. This comes in handy while getting comfortable with using clip ins. If I come across a technical section of trail that i'm unsure about and don't want to be "locked" to the bike in case I take a tumble, i clip out and go flat. They are very versatile and I def reccommend them to those who are interested in getting into clip ins for this reason. They are definately heavier than other SPD pedals, but i'm not a racer, and I don't mind the trade out of weight for versatility.

Submitted by pfhattkatt a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2012

Strengths:    Dual purpose use is excellent for all purpose bikes

Weaknesses:    When using the standard pedal side keeping a grip on the trails can be a trick, and if casual riding the cleats can dig into street shoes and not be horribly comfy...

Bottom Line:
These shimanos are my first experience with clip in bindings and after a year of use my they have been a fantastic pedal. I use my 29er for everything from commute to trail and these have been a fantastic entry level pedal for me. Dual purpose comes in handy when peddling with the kids and when initially not wanting to be clipped in when in tricky situations. I have learned that the standard side is a bit slick when trials get nasty, but I am confident when clipped in now so it is not an issue. Great up to intermediate riders or all purpose bikes. Serious XC bike or riding I would upgrade to a higher end pedal.

Favorite Trail:   Everything Mammoth to Paradise

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Azonic platforms

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Caffeine 29er hardtail

Submitted by paulmorgan a Cross Country Rider from London, UK

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2010

Strengths:    reliable, dependable

Weaknesses:    none - it does what you expect

Bottom Line:
I've used these pedals on my commute bike for seven years. No maintenance whatsoever, not even cleaning! Never had a problem, they just work.

Submitted by Javier a Cross Country Rider from Spain

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2010

Strengths:    Great for commuting

Weaknesses:    Ball bearings

Bottom Line:
I have used these pedals for barely a year (around 4,000 km). Notwithstanding that they are heavy as stones, their ball bearing system is really poor. With just a year of mainly commuting use (some rain, ice and snow), the ball bearings were loosen and damaged heavily the body of the axle.

I have purchased new pedals with sealed ball bearings Fully automatic (Shimano M540).

I don't like the BB system used by Shimano in this series (same as M520)

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Bike Setup:   BTwin 7. 28". Daily commuting. Drivetrain Deore LX 46/38/24. Shifting: Full XT.

Submitted by vyper005 a Cross Country Rider from New Castle,DE USA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2010

Strengths:    Tough & durable...work well

Weaknesses:    Flat side will get dull after a yr or so.

Bottom Line:
I like using the half flat & half clipped design when riding trails with various skinnies & log piles.Whenever I feel unsure about a tough trail feature I use the flat side....simple as that.You want to gain more power for the uphills or flat ground than switch to the clipped in side...Ive had mine for 2yrs now with no problems except that the teeth on the flat side are getting really dull.I would def recommend them to anyone who isnt comfortable being totally clipped in 100% of the time

Favorite Trail:   Judge Morris

Purchased At:   Bikeline

Bike Setup:   Trek 6700 modified

Submitted by adclark a Weekend Warrior from Clemson, SC, US

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2010

Strengths:    Durable, offer a lot of shoe choices

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
Good pedals overall. They are a bit expensive, but can't be beat for versatility. I do not experience the problem with wondering which side will be up. When I take my foot off, the spd side always faces backwards and the platform side faces forwards. They are tough too. I used them for a couple of months on a road bike before putting them on my mountain bike. I was involved in an accident with a car the first day I had them on my road bike, laid the bike down on the drive side pedal at 25+mph, and the only thing bad that happened to it was scratches. Also, he platform is really secure. The adjustable tension works great too. I could get it tight enough to not worry about coming unclipped on my road bike and loose enough that I can instantly pop out on my mountain bike. I will definitely buy another set if these ever give out. Four flamin' chilis because of the weight.

Similar Products Used:   Look Delta Style and platform pedals

Submitted by fremandn a Weekend Warrior from Perth Amboy,NJ,USA

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2009

Strengths:    Very reliable and tough. I've taken several bad spills with them and they've come through. I accidentally stripped my crank-arm by over tightening these pedals and the threads on them were untouched. The bearings and cup can be serviced.

Weaknesses:    Heavy and they aren't balanced to favor the SPD or platform side so sometimes it is a puzzle to make sure the correct side is up when you want it to be. It is trivial to add a small weight to bias them. Additionally, the SPD side is very slippery so make sure you get your footing right the first time.

Bottom Line:
I'm very happy with these pedals and I will pick up another pair if these fail for any reason. They are also occasionally available on sale for $60! Remember to get reflectors as well if they are required in your area.

Bike Setup:   Trek Multitrack 7000 Hybrid

Submitted by btibben a Weekend Warrior from Penticton

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2009

Strengths:    Solid grip, platform/clip combo, takes a beating

Weaknesses:    none other than will destroy your shin if it slips.

Bottom Line:
Very limited experience with pedals, went from plastic flats to these. I bought them because I sometimes have to bike in my work boots and I wanted the option of a platform. This pedal is perfect. The platform side really digs in (almost to the point of cutting soft soled shoes) and the clips hold tight. No problems getting in or out (after the first few days) and they can certainly take a pounding. I've driven them into rocks and clipped trees, these will take it.
Buying a pair for my wife right now.

Favorite Trail:   Mice