Shimano PD-A530 Pedal

• Lightweight alloy body
  • Adjustable entry/release tension
  • Low maintenance sealed cartridge axle units
  • Includes standard SM-SH51 cleats

Submitted by biker kRx

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2012

Strengths:    Very practical!! Looks nicer than the 324.

Weaknesses:    Reatively heavy but lighter than the PD M-324

Bottom Line:
I'm very happy with this pedal. I'm a regualr bike commuter, do mtb and road cycling. I have 4 bikes with M-324s and this A530 is my newest buy installed on my hydrid 700x35c commuter. Having the versatility of a platform and spd gives me the option to use any of my bikes for whatevers purpose and time I need and want. I'll definitely buy more of this pedal for my other bikes when the M-324s breakdown. I'm actually buying another set for my newly built-up FS this afternoo at the LBS. ;-)

Submitted by Raine a Weekend Warrior from Walnut, CA USA

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2012

Strengths:    Having already had their M-324 cage pedals on my previous 29er, I knew that Shimano pedals were good and reliable (I'd never had any problems with the M-324's) so I stayed with the brand but I wanted to try something different - namely their PD-A530 platform pedals, which uses the same SPD cleats as my M-324's (making my shoe cleats 100% compatible). I liked the wider platform compared to my M-324's, and like other SPD pedals, the cleat tension is easily adjustable with the turn of an Allen wrench. You could dial down the tension if it's your first time with clipless pedals, then tighten it up slowly until it's at a level you're comfortable with. They're pretty tough too, so don't expect these to be some feather light, racing-mode equipment - they can handle a beating.

Weaknesses:    The weight of the platform side of the pedal will make it always settle clip-up, meaning whenever you start to ride it's in position; however, if you want to utilize the platform side you'll have to make it a point to flip the pedal over first. This will affect those who buy the pedal with the primary intention of using the platform side, but I thought I'd mention it.

Also, the platform side doesn't have as much grip compared to pin-type pedals. If you're wearing shoes with the SPD cleats on, your shoes won't grab the platform as well as if you were using softer, flatter-bottomed shoes.

Bottom Line:
The Shimano PD-A530's are a good choice to start with if you aren't sure if you want to go platform or clipless. The ability to adjust the clip tension is great for beginners, and while you decide between clipless or platform, the cost of these pedals are wallet-friendly. Not to mention that these, like other Shimano pedals, are excellent quality items.

Favorite Trail:   Kenter Road

Similar Products Used:   Shimano M-324

Submitted by Gogiboy a Weekend Warrior from Stillwater, OK USA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2011

Strengths:    This is a surprisingly versatile pedal. It's easy to clip into and out of and has the flexibility to be used with street shoes should the mood strike. The non-SPD side is reasonably broad and comfortable, but not as comfortable as a pedal designed exclusively for street/athletic shoes.

I'm surprised that some reviewers complain about getting in and out of the pedals. These are no worse than the majority of SPD pedals available.

Weaknesses:    Biggest weakness is that they are a bit heavy, which isn't a big deal for commuting, but for those looking to trim fat from their road bike I wouldn't recommend them. They are relatively expensive, but seem to fall in a comfortable niche between cheapo rat trap pedals and higher-end, lightweight stuff.

Bottom Line:
A good compromise pedal that works quite well for clip -in commuting while offering the hybrid possibilities of a pedal that is also useful when you just want to throw on some Chuck Taylors and cruise around the neighborhood or to the Quik Trip.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Pretty much all types of pedals available since I started cycling seriously in 1973. That list covers caged pedals and several types of clipless systems on more than a half dozen bicycles.

Bike Setup:   2004 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra

Submitted by Gede0n a Cross Country Rider from Bangkok, Thailand

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2011

Strengths:    They seem quite strong, easy to use and adjust. As the other reviewer, I bought those so I can ride with any kind of shoes, depending on the reason I'm riding:
- Going to buy groceries or going to the office with normal shoes.
- Going for a ride with mtb shoes

Weaknesses:    I dont know how heavy they are and how they compare to other similar pedals, but these are obviously not the lightest pedals available.

Bottom Line:
Been riding with them for about 750km, I'm happy with them, they do their job properly, as I expected it. Quite nice design also!
I'll probably turn to something lighter for my next pedals set, but for now, they are so convenient that I don't mind the extra weight.

I picked the silver model which I guess wears off better than black.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano PD-M636, which are even bigger and bulkier.

Bike Setup:   Stock Cannondale Flash Carbon 4

Submitted by dnick a Weekend Warrior from Memphis

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2008

Strengths:    Good dual use pedal for beginners. They appear to be quite robust.

Weaknesses:    It can take a few moments to get the side of the pedal you want. There is no stomp and go.

Bottom Line:
I bought these pedals so that I can ride trails clipped in, but also so that I can just ride up to the corner to get more beer in a pair of flip-flops. They are not the lightest pedals (not even close) but I am a beginner with only one bike, so the difference in weight is not an issue to me.
Overall, I am pleased with the pedals and I would recommend them.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on