Shimano MX30 Deore DX BMX/DH Pedal Pedal

3.86/5 (7 Reviews)

The MX30 platform pedal is ideal for applications where maximum grip, (but not a clipless system) is desired, such as downhill racing or BMX. It features replaceable pins. 488 g / pair 9/16" Aluminum bodies with sturdy chromoly spindles

Submitted by raspberri a Weekend Warrior from jakarta - indonesia

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2010

Strengths:    - strong and stiff,
- nice shape,
- price performance

Weaknesses:    no weaknesses in performance category..

but i wish they launch any black anodized colour in the future maybe...ahahah
and it make 3 deep slice like tiger claw in mylegs...(duude....!!)

Bottom Line:
worth to buy....
the best purchased item so far since sunline v-three bar

Purchased At:   local bike store

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock 2010 with XT groupset, of course a pair of mx30 pedals

Submitted by luisberi a Downhiller from Lisboa

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2010

Strengths:    Zero problems, good grip

Bottom Line:
after 5 years of riding them almost every day (my bike is my ride to work + the weekend rides) i can really say these pedals are exceptional!
they´re a bit loose, so i bought a pair of Specialized lo-pro mag 2 that broke the bearings twice in one year! so i had to put back the DX´s back on... they still work great and they´re grippier!! one of best parts of my bikes ever bought!

best choice for the money!!

Favorite Trail:   Lousã

Purchased At:   Stand Jasma

Similar Products Used:   Specialized lo-pro mag 2

Bike Setup:   Santa cruz bullit & Sepcialized demo 8

Submitted by svanen a Weekend Warrior from Copenhagen, Denmark

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2009

Strengths:    the bearings, the size, the replaceable pins,

Weaknesses:    none, except that they have cost me a pair of shoes ;-)

Bottom Line:
They came with the bike a friend of mine build, I never but much into it. But now that I´m riding more bikes I can see why I like theis so much.
Its in the bearings!

Similar Products Used:   Gusset Slim Jim (the bearing suck)

Bike Setup:   B1 bombus with sram x.9,

Submitted by arich007 a Weekend Warrior from Tel-Aviv

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2009

Strengths:    good grip compared to my previous ones.

Weaknesses:    took two weeks of relativly easy riding for one of the pins to breake. since it broke in the middle I can not extract it nor to insert a pin replacment. hope the other pins will last longer.

Bottom Line:
though looks great pins are too week (small diameter)

Bike Setup:   Trek fuel 98 2001, stock setup

Submitted by Flystagg a Downhiller from Roseville

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2009

Strengths:    grippy concave shape, not overwieght

Weaknesses:    They are thick, but the pedal spindle is very thin, pins tear your legs up bad

They Broke!

Bottom Line:
I This is the only set of pedals I have broken, the pedal body just fell right off the spindle when the treaded end snapped, and shimano refused to replace the spindle because my pedals looked "worn" from rock stikes. They are lucky I din't slice my leg on the spindle when it broke.

These pedals are far from boombproof, there are many lighter, and stronger options out there. I would never trust a set of these again for dh, I'm pretty sure they use the same axle as their clipless xc pedals.

Favorite Trail:   Downieville

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   kona jacksh*t, cheepie plasic, generic metal caged pedals
bebop clipless pedals.

Bike Setup:   2005 sinister splinter, marzocchi z1
2007 sinister dna

Submitted by Mutantclover a Cross Country Rider from Maine

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2009

Strengths:    Durability, looks, grip, price, concave shape just feels right

Weaknesses:    Most people will switch the short pins for the (included) long ones right away. That wastes a few minutes of your time. I remember hearing when I bought them that the spindles are skinny, but that's 3rd hand information at best and the issue has never reared its ugly head for me.

Bottom Line:
I feel like I already reviewed these, but I don't see it so here we go: These spin incredibly freely and silently considering the amount and type of use. As you can see, my other pedals have a tendency to click like a banshee after maybe thirty rides, which is pathetic IMO. I have had these since fall of 06 and unlike their newer peers they are performing like new. I have hit them on many rocks, occasionally hard enough to buck my foot off and send the crank whirling backward. This has only resulted in scrapes on the front corners, a ding or two on the edges, and one gnarled pin.

I feel like with flat pedals, durability is the big issue because otherwise a flat pedal is a flat pedal unless they really screw it up. Since these have been so good I feel like stocking up... you know if a product is too durable they are bound to stop making it!

Similar Products Used:   Crank Bros Candy C (got noisy and slighty sloppy after only one season of heavy use, but otherwise great), Time ATAC (aquired these used, I found they are tough to get in/out, and have begun to click loudly when out of saddle), cheap bear traps bought in emergency (barely got through one ride, bent to $#1t)

Bike Setup:   SS

Submitted by Anthostor a Weekend Warrior from Tokyo

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2009

Strengths:    Screw grip is very positive. They will not break. Lasted 7 years before the bearings went. A lot of miles. Very strong. Comes with extra, longer screws if you need more grip.

Weaknesses:    Not cheap. Not the lightest.

Bottom Line:
It was the first time for me to use screw grips and as soon as I put my foot on them I was sold. Very positive grip even in the wet.

They have had some very rough treatment whole weight of the bike landing on them from 2 meters on to concrete and just taking it, gouges in the alloy but not breaking.

If positive grip, strength and reliability are important to you go for these. I just bought a new bike and it was a no brainer for me.