Shimano Deore XT PD-M780 Pedal

4.25/5 (4 Reviews)

This is the second generation of Shimano's XT branded pedals. And as usual, the workhorse XT parts get some trickledown from Shimano's flagship XTR line. For this version you'll save a handful of grams per pedal over the older XT PD-M770 pedals, but most importantly, the design of the XT PD-M780 Pedals offers more platform to support your foot on the pedal body. Like all other Shimano SPD pedals, it's a two-sided design so you can have easy access with the stomp of your foot. The two-bolt SH-51 cleats (included) have 4 degrees of float to allow some movement in your ankle as you pedal. At a glance it looks almost identical to the XTR pedals, but material differences make the XTR about 30 grams lighter. Function-wise you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart. The XT pedals are all about performance per dollar.The Shimano XT PD-M780 Pedals are Dark Grey and have an aluminum body that relies on sealed cartridge bearings to spin on a plated chromoly axle. The retention mechanism can be adjusted on both sides to accommodate your preferred release tension.

Submitted by fastmvr

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2013

Strengths:    Solid and predictable clip-in and clip-out function. High quality build and materials. XT pedigree.

Weaknesses:    None that I have experienced in almost a year of abuse...due to my inexperience in riding mountain bikes...they have taken A LOT of abuse!

Bottom Line:
I struggled with the decision to clip-in on my mtb after years of road riding. Unbelievable the difference of going from platforms to clipless pedals! I decided on the XT's due to overwhelming stellar reviews and the durability associated with the XT line. I have not been disappointed! I will say that I experienced great difficulty un-clipping with the included SH-51 single-point release cleats...primarily because of years un-clipping from speedplay road clipless pedals....had a hard time teaching myself a new trick. Changing to the SH-56 multi-point release cleat has made a world of difference to me an my confidence in riding more technical trails. Highly recommend these pedals..and the optional SH-56 cleats if you are new to clipless mtb riding or transitioning from road bike riding.

Submitted by Morals

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2013

Strengths:    They simply perform....over and over and over.

Weaknesses:    None in my mind.

Bottom Line:
I found these pretty cheaply on Fleabay for around $69....at least I used to....I haven't had to get new pedals in so long they might have gotten more expensive.

In the Austin, TX area you don't ride trails without lots of rocks banging your frame, pedals, and shins at some point.

I hit rocks with my pedals about every single time I ride. The XTs have put up with TONS of abuse from me, and I'm not a light rider either. Yet, they keep performing without a complaint. Every once in a while I lube the mechanism and I remove them from my cranks, clean the spindles, and regrease lightly. I won't ride any other pedal, period.

Submitted by Joe

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2012

Strengths:    Easy to clip in and out of
Adjustable tension
Durable

Weaknesses:    Little pricey
Questionable bearing quality

Bottom Line:
I picked these up for my cross bike and have put about 7 months of use commuting, hitting local trails, and various charity events. I can say clipping in and out is fairly easy, I would not hesitate to put these on a MTB riding more technical trails. Ive never had one pop off on me but it does take some foot-eye coordination to clip in at first, now its muscle memory. The only complaint I have which I have also found from other reviews of Shimano XT/XTRs is my left pedal has developed an annoying clicking sound, for some its the right. Its annoying because it vibrates my foot and the entire crank/frame. It also comes and goes so it is hard to tell if I fixed it or not. The bearing does not seem to have play, so Im guessing the seal is bad and let crap in. Now Im debating whether I should purchase another set or cheaper set knowing they all could have this problem.

Submitted by 325racer a Weekend Warrior from Oceanside, CA

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2011

Strengths:    Quality, weight, consistancy

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I've been struggling off and on with the PD-M515 pedals since my bike was new. After reading reviews on here I decided to ditch them and get some newer pedals. After much deliberation I decided to splurge and go with the XT PD-M780.

After only 2 rides, I am SOOOOO happy with my decision. These things are great. Very deliberate solid clicks as they lock in. No more struggling to engage like before. They stay locked in until you want out. I didn't have any trouble getting out when I wanted.

Running these on the factory settings they feel great. I just wish I had swapped out the 515s a couple years ago, I would have been riding more.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike